Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
What Blu-ray upgrade idea?
The one where you pay Best Buy $30 to upgrade your $170 Blu-ray player. It's in another thread (HD Forum I think), but I don't have a link at the moment.

Circuit City probably won't just be giving away stuff like stores have done in the past. The good stuff they'll ship to Canada. This is more of a process than anything.
Old 01-17-09, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
The one where you pay Best Buy $30 to upgrade your $170 Blu-ray player. It's in another thread (HD Forum I think), but I don't have a link at the moment.

Circuit City probably won't just be giving away stuff like stores have done in the past. The good stuff they'll ship to Canada. This is more of a process than anything.
I thought the Canadian operations were on the verge of dying as well.

fitprod
Old 01-17-09, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fitprod
I thought the Canadian operations were on the verge of dying as well.

fitprod
On the verge but they haven't officially been announced as being liquidated like the US stores
Old 01-17-09, 01:49 PM

the article I read on CNN.com said that it included the Canadian stores......
Old 01-17-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Springfield, IL update: I didn't get there as early as I had planned. While I was on the way, the local talk radio station ran a short story. They reported that CC (corporate) had announced they were closing, but the local store manager stated she had not heard that from corporate yet. Baring in mind that the story was probably put together late yesterday, I continued on my voyage.

I arrived around 11am to see a packed parking lot and lots of people walking out with arms full of ... nothing. There were two signs on the front doors (nothing fancy, just 8.5x11 photocopies) saying that they are closing. Once inside the store the line stretched almost to the back of the store ... simply because they had ONE register open.

Wandering around I saw no signs indicating anything. I overheard somebody asking a clerk at the back of the store if there were any other registers open. The clerk explained that the 10% off was not programmed into the computer, so the manager was having to manually adjust every transaction and she was the only person that could do that. The person then asked how much stuff was marked down; the clerk advised EVERYTHING is 10% off!

I laughed. I left.

So 34,000 employees will be out of work ... how many of those were actually meaningful jobs? I'm not saying that teeanagers making minimum wage don't have an impact on the economy, but I'm saying it is not like there are 34,000 professionals making $60,000+ are now out on the streets.

Unemployment is not the problem in the US -- it is under-employment. And for those who point to the weekly unemployment numbers, those figures are a joke. That does NOT measure the unemployment rate -- it measures how many people are collecting unemployment benefits. If you run out of benefits and still haven't found a job, you are now employed! At least, by those statistics. With all of the benefit extensions that have been created (in the past you could typically collect for 6 months, that is now up to 12 months) you will see the "unemployment" numbers rise dramatically -- not because those unfortunate people (of which I have been one twice in the past) aren't finding work, but because there is now a 6 month overlap of people that are not being kicked off. Sorry ... I digressed.
Old 01-17-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know this question may be a little premature, but anyone have any luck using Rewards Certificates since the liquidation began?

I have $20 in Rewards certificates coming in the mail, so just curious if they are worth anything now.

Also, guessing that the Gamer's Club card is no longer being accepted for 10% off of games and Blu-rays?
Old 01-17-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

My CC had 30% off furniture, mobile accessories, cables; 20% off CDs/DVDs, and 10% off everything else. A bunch of photocopied "signs" saying such. Discounts did not stack with any other deal/advertised price.
There were more people in that store than I have seen in my last ten trips to CC, cumulative. And each register (they were actually open) had 5-8 people in line.
I didn't buy anything--it was too crowded and there was absolutely nothing I couldn't get cheaper or much cheaper elsewhere.
If you're looking to buy something big, a TV or home theater system or something, it might be worth it. And 30% off Monster Cables is a great deal /not. I guess 10% off a video game or game accessory might not be that bad, but it's exactly what the Gamer's Club card gave, and I was sometimes able to get that to stack with sale pricing or promotions.
Anyway, I know I'll time it wrong and get there right between "best price drop" and "out of stock", but there was nothing for me this time.
Old 01-17-09, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by lastdiplomat
Philips has a DVD player that plays DivX for around $40. I've seen them at Wal-Mart and on Amazon. Just look for the DivX logo. The real upside to a DivX DVD player is that you can download a movie as an AVI, burn it to a CD, and play it in your DVD player.
But are you sure they play those old rental discs?
Old 01-17-09, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by fitprod
No, the ability to play the disc was pulled about 6 months after the format died at retail. Ironically, Circuit City kept paying Fox, Disney and every studio involved for another 3-4 year after the plug was pulled.

Ah, the joys of long term contracts for bad ideas. (See multiple sports contracts for reference...)

fitprod
Did the players need to "phone home" via a phone cord connection to check the rental status before they played?

Someone, somewhere surely must have cracked it or came up with a program to get the data off the discs in order to burn a new copy. I'll have to look that up someday when I'm bored.
Old 01-17-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I thought the DIVX we see on DVD players now is the codec DIVX, like I would have to download to play certain internet content on WMP or some other computer media player, I thought the CC pay-as-you-go Divx was deader than a doornail.
Old 01-17-09, 03:25 PM
MKB

My CC had 30% off furniture, mobile accessories, cables; 20% off CDs/DVDs, and 10% off everything else. A bunch of photocopied "signs" saying such. Discounts did not stack with any other deal/advertised price.
Same discounts at Danvers, MA location. Percentages were off original price.
Old 01-17-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to the Fenton, MO store this morning. Place was pretty crowded with "bargain" shoppers, but discounts were only 10-30% as reported n other locations. Christmas CDs & DVDs were still 75% off so I bought a few. There was a tour bus (with nobody in it) parked in the parking lot (they just couldn' t resist a stop in the big city to shop for bargains). A employee for the Ultimate Electronics store across the highway was standing on the outskirts of the parking lot with a "50% off Home Theater at Ultimate Electronics" sign.
Old 01-17-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Things happen so fast..just a few years ago within 15 minutes of where I live- could go to Tower Records,Comp USA,Good Guys,Hollywood Video,Suncoast Video,Sam Goody,Wherehouse,Virgin Records-All gone except for few HV's hanging on. What a shift....
Old 01-17-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bought some stuff.... not alot but but a blu ray recorder for 230 bucks... not bad
Old 01-17-09, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
bought some stuff.... not alot but but a blu ray recorder for 230 bucks... not bad
A blu ray recorder? Like a computer internal drive?
Old 01-17-09, 03:59 PM
Banned

I'm glad CC actually died. It pissed me off when Kmart went "bankrupt" and half their crappy stores still stayed open.

Originally Posted by raven56706
Uh, NewEgg.com has one for the same price this week with free shipping (and without sales tax, in most states).

Show me 1.5TB Seagate hard drives for $100 or less and I'm there. Last I checked, they were still $130 on NewEgg.
Old 01-17-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

So 34,000 employees will be out of work ... how many of those were actually meaningful jobs? I'm not saying that teeanagers making minimum wage don't have an impact on the economy, but I'm saying it is not like there are 34,000 professionals making $60,000+ are now out on the streets.

They paid taxes. That's meaningful enough. I'd imagine there are tens of thousands of $250,000+ jobs which could easily be wiped off the US Payrolls without so much as a bleep on the Importance Radar.

Let's see how much taxes the fuckheads at the top are going to pay...now that CC is Bankrupt.
Old 01-17-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I stopped by my local store on my lunch break. They had a line like I haven't seen since Xmas. BD/DVDs were only 10% off. I'll be waiting quite a while before I start dropping any kind of cash there.
Old 01-17-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was CC yesterday.

I'm guessing it's mobbed today. There were 2 people total, including me, in the store yesterday. It was a ghost town. Then again, every time I went in there it was.
Old 01-17-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by videoguy
A blu ray recorder? Like a computer internal drive?
yeah

actually it was like this

30% off all video game accessories
10% TVS, Laptops, Video Games, other things
Old 01-17-09, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
This was the deal in Seekonk, MA as well. Store was more crowded than usual but it was hardly a feeding frenzy.
Old 01-17-09, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Straker
This was the deal in Seekonk, MA as well. Store was more crowded than usual but it was hardly a feeding frenzy.
Hey, I was just there a couple of hours ago. The flyer handed out as you walked in read...

Liquidation Sale
All discounts are off
REGULAR PRICES
30% off Furniture (reg price)
30% off Mobile Accessories (reg price)
30% off cables (reg price)
20% off CD's and DVD's (reg price)
Everything else 10% off (reg price)
We cannot honor any coupons
We can accept cash and credit cards.
No personal checks or Circuit City branded
credit cards will be accepted
ALL SALES ARE FINAL
NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES
Old 01-17-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, over 200 people were standing in line waiting for my local store to open. People were buying all sorts of things that are cheaper elsewhere when on sale. I picked up several gift cards as souvenirs.
Old 01-17-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dangit- I can't view my Circuit City order history anymore (for record keeping).
Old 01-17-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I think this is true to a degree. But a few years ago, Best Buy was lying and giving every excuse not to honor their price matching agreement. You called their "hotline" and they would support the management decision even if it went directly against their policy. This happened at mulitple stores I have visited. In the past couple of years ago, this has changed. They seem more willing to actually help the customer (some of the time). I'm not saying that generally what you way is not true, but it definately is not always true.
You are right--but the funny thing is Best Buy has gotten in trouble repeatedly for training its employees to lie, but it's not thought of as having poor customer service (generally, at least), whereas such things have not come up with most of the companies most constantly accused of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.