DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Virgin Mega Times Square NYC closing April 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Virgin Mega Times Square NYC closing April 2009

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Lower cost of operation yes, but that doesn't change the concept of a loss leader. Best Buy and Macys have higher cost of operation than Amazon and that doesn't stop them from running loss leaders all the time. So, what stopped Virgin other than their inability to know how to promote?

Virgin (this location) does not need them. They are in times square! They are not closing because of financial trouble! They still posted sizable profits. Voranado was smart and bought them with the intent to move them out. I read that Virgin was paying $54 a square foot for rent in that location, Voranado expects the Forever 21 will pay over $700 a square foot.
Old 02-20-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lower cost of operation yes, but that doesn't change the concept of a loss leader. Best Buy and Macys have higher cost of operation than Amazon and that doesn't stop them from running loss leaders all the time. So, what stopped Virgin other than their inability to know how to promote?
I am not disagreeing with you. I realize they basically run no loss leaders. But Amazon (and DD for that matter) is the exact opposite. They run more than most. I am making the point, because there are lots of people who come to the forums that think because of these loss leaders that these companies are making a ton of money off DVDs. That isnt the case.

Even if you promote as FYE has done in the past few years, it is difficult to pay high rent and survive selling media products. There are some examples you can like this location. But I can promise you they would rather sell you a concert t-shirt than a CD or DVD.

I read that Virgin was paying $54 a square foot for rent in that location, Voranado expects the Forever 21 will pay over $700 a square foot.
Surely that is an annual amount? Talk about overpriced real estate.
Old 02-26-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The signs all over the Virgin Megastore in Times Square tout "up to 40% off" - I browsed the entire store and the only mention of 40% was on those signs.

CDs and DVDs are basically 25% off, though Blue-Ray was only 20% off - and off course this is off the original ticket price.

So let's evaluate the bargains, and I'm only discussing the DVDs here. For several weeks
prior to this, there was a big $10 sale that included virtually all $14.99 MRSP titles, and some that were $19.95 MSRP.

But now that they have their big "going out of business" sale, the items you could have bought last week at $10 will now cost you either $11.25 or $15.00.

Fill your baskets, folks ......
Old 02-27-09, 04:43 AM

SF store closing too.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...business&tsp=1
Old 02-27-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lmwong1977
SF store closing too.
Ack!
Old 02-27-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

From the San Francisco closing article:

The Virgin Megastore in New York's Times Square also will close and will make way for trendy clothing retailer Forever 21. The company said Thursday it also would close its store in New York's Union Square.

So no more Virgins in NYC.

With both Circuit City and Virgin closing it will make for a very empty Union Square as far as retail is concerned.

Also check your receipts to make sure the proper amount is discounted. Some were complaining and getting price adjustments for incorrect discounts.

Last edited by Classic Films; 02-27-09 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 10:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found out today that it was decided last week that Virgin is going totally belly-up (not just certain stores, as had been previously announced). The stores that are already liquidating will close in March/April. All the rest will close in May.
Every day it seems You read of another company closing - thousands more unemployed. It's sad & frightening. The liquidations are fun & the bargains can be great, but the cost of these scores is very steep: the loss of yet another music & movie retailer and another blow to our economy.
First HMV. Then Sam Goody. Then Tower. Then Circuit City. Now Virgin. Are there any music/movie-only stores left (and please don't say FYE, and to west coast members: please don't rub Amoeba in the noses of those of us on the east coast!)?
Old 03-05-09, 08:42 AM

I agree with you about this being another frightening development. I was at the Times Square store yesterday (for the first time since the closing sale began) and all I could do was mourn. I've come to treat these closings as one would a death, just another nail in the coffin of the life I have always enjoyed. So many of the simple pleasures and conveniences I have counted on for my entire life are being snuffed out left and right -- all of the ones you mention, plus places like KB Toys and potentially FYE, Blockbuster and Borders. This is not even accounting for all the smaller chains those giants gobbled up in their rise to prominence (The Wall, Camelot, Saturday Matinee, Waldenbooks, Brentano's, etc.). Today there are literally half the number of retail media locations there were 5 years ago, at least here in the NY/NJ area anyway. It feels like this is the year when all the nibbling of the past few years is finally becoming the last big bite, before my old life is swallowed up by a bleak and barren future.

Okay, looks like I went off on a bit of a tangent there but with Virgin folding, so goes my last best hope for easy access to the things I enjoy, and along with it, a substantial piece of me.

Last edited by Ajay C; 03-05-09 at 08:47 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-05-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

With no more big record stores in NY and property prices falling, it's the perfect time for Amoeba to open a store in Manhattan. They'd make a killing.
Old 03-05-09, 03:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickactual
Found out today that it was decided last week that Virgin is going totally belly-up (not just certain stores, as had been previously announced). The stores that are already liquidating will close in March/April. All the rest will close in May.
Every day it seems You read of another company closing - thousands more unemployed. It's sad & frightening. The liquidations are fun & the bargains can be great, but the cost of these scores is very steep: the loss of yet another music & movie retailer and another blow to our economy.
First HMV. Then Sam Goody. Then Tower. Then Circuit City. Now Virgin. Are there any music/movie-only stores left (and please don't say FYE, and to west coast members: please don't rub Amoeba in the noses of those of us on the east coast!)?
I know what you mean. I stumbled upon Amoeba coming out of the Cinerama in Hollywood. Amazing place.

Boston area has Newbury Comics, to answer your question, but the numbers of B&M groups are getting thin.
Old 03-06-09, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW....I can honestly say that I am depressed by this. When Tower closed I thought...at least I have Virgin Megastore....but with BOTH of them closing...Times Square and Union Square?
I don't understand it...I really don't. I really REALLY like GOING to the store to buy my music, I never download...I just don't. (cept for Radiohead's In Rainbows) Sure I can buy things on Amazon...but I liked the experience of going to the store. I remember going to the Times Square store years ago after seeing Radiohead in Liberty Park in Jersey to buy all the Beta Band's albums (who had opened for them) Coming out of the movies in Union Square and then going up the street and browsing and buying in Virgin Megastore after....
WTF...how can there be no RECORD STORES IN NEW YORK CITY?????
Old 03-06-09, 04:18 PM

I don't understand it...I really don't. I really REALLY like GOING to the store to buy my music,
I understand your frustration. But this is a problem for every city and every retailer. Rent and Labor is making it difficult for B&M to compete with ecommerce. Sad, but soon we will have nothing but Big Box stores if you want to "touch" the procuct. And they usually have a shitty selection.
Old 03-06-09, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
...how can there be no RECORD STORES IN NEW YORK CITY?????
http://www.othermusic.com/index.cgi
Old 03-06-09, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Thanks for this, may stop by one day after work next week to check it out.
Old 03-06-09, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BKenn01
I understand your frustration. But this is a problem for every city and every retailer. Rent and Labor is making it difficult for B&M to compete with ecommerce. Sad, but soon we will have nothing but Big Box stores if you want to "touch" the procuct. And they usually have a shitty selection.
Here's the thing though, both locations are paying barely "nothing" for their square footage (by New York standards) Vornado is a real estate firm, so they don't give a rats ass about the actual store...they just want top dollar for their space. I just wish they would have kept at least one of the stores open, they certainly have a customer base. With Best Buy, you have "salespeople" that are pretty stupid. Unless it is Top 40 and current they usually have no idea what you are talking about. Virgin and Tower had especially (from my experiences) smart employees that you can actually talk to about music, they could even suggest something to you! GASP!

Damn, I am super bitter.....lol

Last edited by zoomgirl; 03-06-09 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope no one is suckered by the "sales" at the NYC Times Square Virgin Megastore. The only things really on sale are books and fixtures. In the Times Square store, all dvds are 30% off, but it's at the super-expensive Virgin 29.99 dollar price, so you aren't saving any money. The Union Square store has more sales because they have the DVDs for $5 or $10 each, which is not at the Times Square store.

I like how the Times Square store also has those 30% off flyers everywhere in the store and how the store is made to look messy and with DVDs thrown and piled up everywhere. They are still the same expensive-priced Virgin megastore dvds. This is just another marketing ploy to make people believe they are getting a deal.
Old 03-07-09, 08:15 AM

Zoomgirl, all their stores are closing. I doubt it would matter if the rent was free at this point. I agree it is sad to see these icons go. But things are tough all over......
Old 03-07-09, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
With no more big record stores in NY and property prices falling, it's the perfect time for Amoeba to open a store in Manhattan. They'd make a killing.
A West Coast entity making it in the Big Apple..
That will never happen...
Everything rises in the east and sets in the west.
Old 03-07-09, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by junglalien
A West Coast entity making it in the Big Apple..
That will never happen...
Everything rises in the east and sets in the west.
Ah ... yeah. Like Tower Records wasn't huge in NYC for years and years. Right.
Old 04-23-09, 03:38 PM

Bumping this thread to update everyone on the Virgin closings. Went by the Union Square location last night and was informed by a friend who works there that Wednesday was the last day of regular business. As of Thursday (today) the clearance/closing sale begins. Same deal as before, 20% off MSRP, making many items MORE expensive than they were just yesterday. He also said that the official last day would be May 31st. Then again, I was told that the Times Square location would be closing on April 15th, and instead it closed around the end of March. So if there's anything you're looking to buy or just want to pay a farewell visit, stop by soon and don't wait until the last minute.

Anyway, just thought I'd spread the word, sad though it is...

Last edited by Ajay C; 04-23-09 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mickactual
and to west coast members: please don't rub Amoeba in the noses of those of us on the east coast!)?[/COLOR]
Isn't this a California-only chain? And if we're talking California-only, can we rub your nose in Rasputin Records?
Old 04-23-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ajay C
Bumping this thread to update everyone on the Virgin closings. Went by the Union Square location last night and was informed by a friend who works there that Wednesday was the last day of regular business. As of Thursday (today) the clearance/closing sale begins. Same deal as before, 20% off MSRP, making many items MORE expensive than they were just yesterday. He also said that the official last day would be May 31st. Then again, I was told that the Times Square location would be closing on April 15th, and instead it closed around the end of March. So if there's anything you're looking to buy or just want to pay a farewell visit, stop by soon and don't wait until the last minute.

Anyway, just thought I'd spread the word, sad though it is...
Their "final" sales there are such bullshit marketing...Put huge "going out of business sale" signs...it was even cheaper before. What they did now is, took off all their regular sale prices, left the original ultra-expensive retail Virgin white sticker price, and then said "everything is 20 percent off". They even removed all those 10 dollar and 5 dollar priced dvds. So now, everything is more expensive than before. I can't believe that anyone gets suckered by this marketing ploy.
Old 04-23-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
Isn't this a California-only chain? And if we're talking California-only, can we rub your nose in Rasputin Records?
Ill take Rasputin over Ameoba anyday... Just because Rasputin has great deals on used BD's from time to time and Ameoba doesnt sell BD's.
Old 05-27-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As of today, the new york city union square virgin megastore is still falsely advertising sales. Ill try to check in to the store often to let new yorkers know when the real sale starts. If any new york city folk go there and find out that real sales start, please let us know in this thread, thanks!
Old 05-27-09, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what the heck are you talking about Ameoba has BD, they have some really great prices on BD movies, (Every day you can get brand new BD titles much lower than bestbuy or frys. brand new) Not to mention the great instore concerts.

when i was there tonight i picked up falling down new for 17.99 and children of men new for 14.99 and i found a copy of inside man (it was the corrected version with the new upc code) for 17.99

in the background there was mandy moore performing her new album live in the store while i was shopping.
Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Ill take Rasputin over Ameoba anyday... Just because Rasputin has great deals on used BD's from time to time and Ameoba doesnt sell BD's.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 05-27-09 at 01:32 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.