DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Disney Treasures Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow Back In Stock At Bestbuy.com (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/547123-disney-treasures-dr-syn-alias-scarecrow-back-stock-bestbuy-com.html)

Cool Ghoul 01-04-09 05:43 PM

Disney Treasures Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow Back In Stock At Bestbuy.com

For those looking for Dr. Syn at a good price Bestbuy.com has them back in stock. Mine already shipped.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1355288

blaineo 01-06-09 07:12 AM

Re: Disney Treasures Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow Back In Stock At Bestbuy.com

They are all gone

kenbenobi 01-06-09 07:15 AM

B&N.com has it for a decent price. And all 3 of this year's Disney Treasures are part of the B2G1F sale. Be sure to use a coupon from the B&N thread... Should work out to an average of under $20 each... ($47.65 total for me, but I have a membership and a B&N MC so can use the 20% coupon)

Classic Films 01-06-09 08:29 AM

Using the above link I find that Disney Treasures Dr. Syn is currently only available for in store pickup at Best Buy. It says it's not available for shipping. Never saw that before. None of the stores near me have it available for in store pick up.

It is also no longer available at Barnes and Noble.

http://btobvideo.barnesandnoble.com/.../?itm=1&btob=Y

You can order Dr Syn from DVD Pacific but the stock status is on order so who knows if they will get additional stock.
http://www.dvdpacific.com/search2008...f+Romney+Marsh

fhdavid52 01-06-09 09:47 PM

I found 2 copies of this at FYE of all places - just the other day. And it was new stock, because they didn't have it a week before Christmas.

elsanto 01-07-09 09:15 PM

I found a new copy at a nearby Suncoast Video store 2 days before Christmas...that first run ran out so quick. There is a good number available on ebay now.

blokhed 01-08-09 01:35 AM

Why did Disney take this out of print so quickly? It was out for what, a week? I planned on renting it before I bought it since I'd never seen it, and didn't even know it was OOP until now.

Classic Films 01-08-09 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by blokhed (Post 9182821)
Why did Disney take this out of print so quickly? It was out for what, a week? I planned on renting it before I bought it since I'd never seen it, and didn't even know it was OOP until now.

Disney Treasures are always limited editions. They made this set very limited and it sold out. I guess they did not anticipate demand. They have often produced too many Disney Treasures sets. You can still find copies of Your Host, Walt Disney and some of the others even though they came out several years ago. In this case they went in other direction and produced too few.

Perhaps this was a marketing decision. If Disney Treasure sets continue in 2009, people may buy them
the first day or week they come out for fear they will sell out.

blokhed 01-08-09 06:22 PM

Have they ever re-released one of those once it has sold out?

Tigger 01-08-09 11:36 PM

Not that I've ever seen... never rereleased. I've also never seen a Treasures DVD be recalled before, as what I was told from Target employees. They sold me one of the 3 they had left because I had asked for it. They pulled it from the back room.

hindolio 01-08-09 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by blokhed (Post 9184631)
Have they ever re-released one of those once it has sold out?

sans tin, yesh.

mnementh 01-09-09 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by hindolio (Post 9185242)
sans tin, yesh.

Costco had a gift set of every title from the first two waves, but without the numbered tins. I haven't seen any rereleases since that.

creekdipper 01-09-09 06:28 AM

Not exactly a re-release, but Davy Crockett (one of the first tin releases) is also available in a standard two-disc set...kind of.

I believe that the 'regular' edition contains the edited-together versions of the original series & the Mike Fink/River pirates sequels, whereas the tins contain the full episodes.

Given the response to the latest limited wave, one would think that $-obsessed Disney would consider releasing "Dr. Syn" as a stand-alone release. Of course, they'd probably only release the 'feature' version, which cuts out about 1/3 of the originals (it's included as the second disc in the tin). However, it seems that those who think that limiting the releases to give incentive for quick sellouts is behind the marketing decisions. Re-releasing the sold-out versions would be counterproductive to this stategy.

I'm still waiting for Disney to release the complete Swamp Fox, Elfego Baca, Texas John Slaughter, etc. It was nice to get a sampling of the first two on one tin, but it was also frustrating to see incomplete releases (especially Swamp Fox, which tended to have more continuity).

sracer 01-09-09 07:57 AM

I wonder if the low production numbers for Dr. Syn were a result of how the other live-action Treasure titles sold. I know virtually all Disney collectors go nuts over their animation titles with very little if any interest for live-action. I'm the exact opposite. Dr. Syn is a sentimental favorite of mine and was one of the "holy grails" of Disney live-action.

Given that, I'm really surprised at how much interest there appears to be for Dr. Syn. Especially since before it was released I couldn't find anyone who had even heard of the film before.

macnorton 01-09-09 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sracer (Post 9185533)
I wonder if the low production numbers for Dr. Syn were a result of how the other live-action Treasure titles sold. I know virtually all Disney collectors go nuts over their animation titles with very little if any interest for live-action. I'm the exact opposite. Dr. Syn is a sentimental favorite of mine and was one of the "holy grails" of Disney live-action.

Given that, I'm really surprised at how much interest there appears to be for Dr. Syn. Especially since before it was released I couldn't find anyone who had even heard of the film before.

I think you nailed it. But then again, Disney is known for strange shit like this so anything is possible.

Also to the posters above, the Disney Movie Club has some of those OOP sets...I got Mickey Mouse black & white volume 1 from there not too long ago.

macnorton 01-09-09 09:25 AM

For those who are wondering, the following are still available via Disney Movie Club:

Wave 1:
Davy Crockett
Disneyland, USA

Wave 2:
Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studios

Wave 3:
Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2
The Chronological Donald, Volume 1
On the Front Lines
Tomorrow Land

Wave 4:
Mickey Mouse In Black and White, Volume 2
The Complete Pluto, Volume 1
The Mickey Mouse Club

Wave 5:
The Chronological Donald, Volume 2
Disney Rarities: Celebrated Shorts, 1920s - 1960s
The Adventures of Spin & Marty (The Mickey Mouse Club)
Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox: Legendary Heroes

Wave 6:
More Silly Symphonies
The Complete Pluto Volume 2
The Hardy Boys: The Applegate Mystery

Wave 7:
The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic

Wave 8:
Currently none added, but I believe they will be (Wave 7 came about six months after they hit retail)

Annette, Your Host Walt Disney available at Amazon.

cdoug57 01-09-09 09:30 AM

I received this as a Christmas gift. I had to write down the name exactly and let my mother know when and where she needed to go to find it. It was purchased during release week at Sam's. The clerk had to go to the back to find a copy. Have looked at both discs and I am so glad to have this. This is also a sentimental favorite of mine. I remember watching this while Secret Agent was a top show at our house. I was already enjoying Patrick McGoohan from his other Disney excursion - The 3 Lives of Thomasina. Have enjoyed the actor in his various roles since.

Great to relive childhood favorites.

Doug

tonymontana313 01-09-09 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton (Post 9185688)
For those who are wondering, the following are still available via Disney Movie Club:

Wave 1:
Davy Crockett
Disneyland, USA

Wave 2:

Wave 3:
Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2
The Chronological Donald, Volume 1
On the Front Lines
Tomorrow Land

Wave 4:
Mickey Mouse In Black and White, Volume 2
The Complete Pluto, Volume 1
The Mickey Mouse Club

Wave 5:
The Chronological Donald, Volume 2
Disney Rarities: Celebrated Shorts, 1920s - 1960s
The Adventures of Spin & Marty (The Mickey Mouse Club)
Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox: Legendary Heroes

Wave 6:
More Silly Symphonies
The Complete Pluto Volume 2
The Hardy Boys: The Applegate Mystery

Wave 7:
The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic

Wave 8:
Currently none added, but I believe they will be (Wave 7 came about six months after they hit retail)

Annette, Your Host Walt Disney available at Amazon.

Do the ones from Disney come with the tin or just the dvd case?

macnorton 01-09-09 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313 (Post 9186134)
Do the ones from Disney come with the tin or just the dvd case?

They come with tins.

standbyme 01-09-09 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton (Post 9185688)

Wave 2:

I am a DMC member...but I haven't been able to find this one listed on the site...are you seeing it somewhere I am not?

Thanks

macnorton 01-09-09 03:30 PM

Search for "walt disney treasures" and it should be in there. That is pretty much all I did.

Unless it went out of stock, which is also possible.

online365days 01-09-09 03:53 PM

Dr. Syn is available here, I just ordered one for myself. I cannot post the full link since I just joined. Hope this helps those who are looking for one.

superduperclub.net

Preterite 01-09-09 04:06 PM

While it may be listed, customers' experiences would indicate that it is not actually in-stock: http://www.epinions.com/pr-Online_St...rDuperClub_com

macnorton 01-16-09 10:07 AM

Wanted to bump this...

I got Donald v4 from Bestbuy.com here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1897548

Additionally, Dr. Syn seems to be popping up on bestbuy.com every other day or so. So keep an eye out for it.

Zuvembieman 02-04-09 06:39 PM

Surprisingly, I just got a shipping notice today from Best Buy for Dr. Syn. I ordered it back when this thread first popped up and was quickly notified on 1/5/09 that it was on backorder. I'll be curious to see what arrives at my door.