Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Universal Monster Legacy Sets 13.99 at Amazon

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Universal Monster Legacy Sets 13.99 at Amazon

Old 01-03-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a price-drop they were going for that rate a few years ago.

I am sure that retail on these are about $19.99 it was the last time I went into Hastings Books the other day.
Old 01-03-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by NEUMANN View Post
Very true,but is it worth it when you can get 3 extra movies(dracula's daughter,son of dracula and house of dracula)in the legacy set for more or less the same price(minus a couple seconds of moans and groans).
Absolutely! Unless you are a "purist" and/or anal about 100% faithful presentation the Legacy Edition is a fabulous value! I did not even know/notice audio was missing until it had been pointed out. While it *would* be nice for the audio to be intact, I would not have that minor (IMHO) problem dissuade anyone from purchasing the Legacy set unless the only title you are truly interested in is Dracula. In that case you *might* be better served to get the 75th Anniversary edition as it has the complete audio. However, there is some dissention there as well. One review I read says "the sound is the worst yet, *very* distorted: you actually need the English subtitles to understand the dialogue". Because there is no longer a original negative (it fell apart in the 40's due to over printing) Universal took the same film elements as before and brightened/sharpened them even more to make the details more visible. This reportedly has caused the picture to look "glary and washed out, losing all feeling of day/night contrast". Others feel the audio track on the *original* 1999 release is the best audio, but the picture is a bit dark and muddy. I agree on the picture but don't know about the audio as I've not yet seen/heard the 75th Anniversary edition to be able to make my own comparison. I'm quite happy with my 1999 and "restored" Legacy Edition copies so will probably never personally know unless a friend purchases the 75 Anniversary edition and invites me over. One of these days Universal *may* get it right for a BR release. I may investigate then.
Old 01-03-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I missed whether anyone discovered if there was a sale on these or just a possible price drop. It seems like the price drop is likely since it's an odd time of year to have these on sale. I know in 1 or 2 places, I only see some of these sets in October and rarely at other times.
Michael's Movie Mahem does not show there is a scheduled price drop for these. It's a pretty reliable site for this information. The current retail shows to be $26.98. Looks like another unlisted sale which brings up the question: "Why does amazon go to such lengths to hide sale prices?"
Old 01-03-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jessecrx View Post
How do the 75th anniversary monster sets compare to these?
Well, the Legacy Collection of Frankenstein is well worth it over the 75th anniversary, if only because it has the best available presentation of Bride of Frankenstein, which is just as classic and important as the first movie, in my opinion.
Old 01-03-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Well, the Legacy Collection of Frankenstein is well worth it over the 75th anniversary, if only because it has the best available presentation of Bride of Frankenstein, which is just as classic and important as the first movie, in my opinion.
Aye. You might content yourself that you're getting fairly non-essential sequels as bonus features for the other titles, but getting Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein together--especially at this sale price--is a great addition to any DVD library.
Old 01-03-09, 11:28 AM

The problem with the 75th anniversary collections of all of the Universal Horror films is that every single one of them includes the Universal Horror documentary as an extra. I can see having it on one - but all of them? It is a very good documentary though.

Of all of the Legacy collections, the Frankenstein one is the best buy with the most continuity between films. Frankenstein has a great commentary track, but Bride of Frankenstein's commentary is somewhat lacking. For all of the the other horror franchises there is little or no continuity between the original and the sequels, and thus the 75th anniversary version might be the way to go, even with the duplication of the documentary.
Old 01-03-09, 11:54 AM

For anyone in Canada, the Wolf Man Legacy Collection is available for $4.99 CND.. It seems to be part of thier boxing week sale.. The other The Collections are still $27.99 CDN each..
Later
Old 01-03-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone ever received one of these sets where there wasn't at least one floater?
Old 01-03-09, 03:13 PM

For anyone with the Hammer Horror Legacy set: does it work? I've seen several reviews at Amazon saying the discs lock up and skip.
Old 01-03-09, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor Zoidberg View Post
For anyone with the Hammer Horror Legacy set: does it work? I've seen several reviews at Amazon saying the discs lock up and skip.
I've had a copy since release date and have watched the entire thing.
Played just fine for me.
Old 01-03-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsun View Post
For anyone in Canada, the Wolf Man Legacy Collection is available for $4.99 CND.. It seems to be part of thier boxing week sale.. The other The Collections are still $27.99 CDN each..
Later
Gah! I wish I'd have known this earlier. Friends of mine just got back from spending a week in Toronto for New Year's.
Old 01-03-09, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by lee_hero View Post
I've had a copy since release date and have watched the entire thing.
Played just fine for me.
Same here. Good set btw.
Old 01-03-09, 09:06 PM

I stumbled upon these legacy sets a couple days ago and thought they where a price drop and said that in my original post,but it turns out they are part of a sale i just found.here is the link to the sale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...24791&plpage=1

Turns out it ends today,was a well hidden sale i guess.maybe it will last until tommorow,these sales have been known to go on a couple days past when they are supposed to end

Last edited by NEUMANN; 01-03-09 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Has anyone ever received one of these sets where there wasn't at least one floater?
I have all 6 and there were no floaters or damaged disks in any. All played OK as well. After all the reviews I'd read about the various problems with these sets I was very relieved.
Old 01-03-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doctor Zoidberg View Post
I got a copy about 6 months ago. Didn't have any problems, but because of the problem reports I *did* do a fast scan on the set as soon as I received it just to be sure. Later watching confirmed no problems.
Old 01-03-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts
I stumbled upon these legacy sets a couple days ago and thought they where a price drop and said that in my original post,but it turns out they are part of a sale i just found.here is the link to the sale.

Turns out it ends today,was a well hidden sale i guess.maybe it will last until tommorow,these sales have been known to go on a couple days past when they are supposed to end
Mystery solved I suppose! Some other decent prices in the sale on some of the triple/quadruple features.
Old 01-03-09, 09:33 PM

Thanks a ton for that link. Immediately ordered Werewolf of London/She Wolf of London Double Feature for $6.99
Old 01-04-09, 07:44 AM

Sale is dead,they are back up to 23.99
Old 01-30-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Universal Monster Legacy Sets 13.99 at Amazon

I just noticed today that the sale ended... I completely forgot about it.

This sucks. I shouldn't have procrastinated.
Old 01-30-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just create columbia house account and get all "Universe Legacy Series" movies for cheap
Old 03-15-09, 03:10 PM
Cool New Member

March update:
As noted in other posts too...
1) Deepdiscount has all Universal Monster Legacy sets for 14.87 until 3/31
2) Walmart has Dracula and Wolfman Legacy sets for 14.99...Twilight release tie-in?

Also, Borders has a 40% off coupon this weekend for box sets (must buy 2 only per coupon). All the Legacy sets count in this sale. That put the local store sale near me at a little more than 15 each.
Old 03-15-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's too bad the busts aren't on sale
Old 03-15-09, 04:58 PM

Hmm... I though these went out of print. I remember Dracula, Frankenstien, and Wolfman came out to promote Van Helsing. I got Frankenstein release day, and a few months later I found Dracula on clearance at Shopko for like 2 bucks.
Old 03-16-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me too - I thought it was "buy now or forever hold your peace" but it looks like this isn't the case.
Old 03-16-09, 04:29 PM

Maybe trying to unload the old stock. New release (Blu) in the works?

James

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.