Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Martin Scorsese Collection $13.00 at Walmart YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 03:19 PM
HTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks OP for the heads up on the Scorsese Collection! My store had 3 copies, and luckily only 1 without floaters.

I also spotted the Mel Gibson Ultimate Collection (1995-2002) containing Braveheart, Payback-Director's Cut and We Were Soldiers.
Old 12-31-08, 04:05 PM

Picked up Scorsese Set yesterday ... the DVD guy told me that he had put them out on Monday (12/29) ... the set includes the following versions ...

After Hours (WS)
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (WS)
Goodfellas (WS 2 Disc SE)
Mean Streets (WS SE)
Who's That Knocking At My Door (WS)
Old 12-31-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by HTN
My store had 3 copies, and luckily only 1 without floaters.
There were 6 copies of the Scorsese set here and every single one either had floaters or the box was mashed. I picked up one that somehow only suffered slight damage to the "Goodfellas" keepcase. Luckily I already own that DVD so it wasn't a big deal. Seriously, the spring-loaded shelving needs to go.

Thanks OP!
Old 12-31-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked one of the last two up from Wal-Mart last night. One had a floater and I was lucky enough to find the one with all discs in tact
Old 01-01-09, 09:30 AM

The local Wal-Mart had about 15 of these yesterday. Wish I had bought one. Thinking about going back today.
Old 01-01-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to my local WM here in Pasadena, TX and found 20 or so of these sets. I found the mintiest one!

I have a cool story for those interested.....

I had the Scorsese set in hand and I was browsing at the TV's because I had been looking for one to add to my gameroom. A lady in a wheelchair and her husband were looking at the tv section as well and she said "Well Honey, how do we know if any of these tvs will need the digital box?? The guy at best buy said we have to have it no matter what tv we go with!"

I look over at her husband and he's flush red with frustration and I politely interjected and said "You shouldn't need that digital box to catch your local channels because most of these tv sets have a built in digital tuner." Fast forward 10-15 mins and I am answering all of their questions about tv sets(their last set was a Curtis Mathes tube tv from the 70's!)I kinda helped them narrow down their choices to help them get a tv that will best suit their needs(DVD watching) They wanted to get the best bang for the buck tv for under $1000. They were about to spend $998 for the Wal Mart 50 inch 720p Panny and I told them to go with either the Best Buy/Fry's/CC Panny 720p for $899. I gave them a few other suggestions on plasmas and LCD's but I told them to look up the PX 720p Panasonic reviews and to not just take my word for it. I offered them my number to call me if they needed any help or had questions about setting up their new set. They were very thankful and nice...and we said our goodbyes

2 minutes later(I am still looking at the tv section)and they both come up to me with a bag in hand and said "Jesse, put that set you have in your hand back on the shelf....this one is yours. We picked out the best looking one with no creases or gouges!" I look inside the bag and I see the Scorsese set with a receipt!! "Sir, I can't take this!" I said. "Please take it...otherwise you'll be insulting us. We insist...you've been very helpful! Happy New Year!"

So, a pair of nice strangers bought the set for me. What a way to start the new year!
Old 01-02-09, 06:37 PM

Cool story ...
Old 01-02-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jessecrx that's great! It's always nice to help someone out and even better when you get a dvd in hand afterwards
Old 01-02-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice guys DON'T finish last!
Old 01-02-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jessecrx
I went to my local WM here in Pasadena, TX and found 20 or so of these sets. I found the mintiest one!

I had the Scorsese set in hand and I was browsing at the TV's because I had been looking for one to add to my gameroom. A lady in a wheelchair and her husband were looking at the tv section as well and she said "Well Honey, how do we know if any of these tvs will need the digital box?? The guy at best buy said we have to have it no matter what tv we go with!"

I look over at her husband and he's flush red with frustration and I politely interjected and said "You shouldn't need that digital box to catch your local channels because most of these tv sets have a built in digital tuner." Fast forward 10-15 mins and I am answering all of their questions about tv sets(their last set was a Curtis Mathes tube tv from the 70's!)I kinda helped them narrow down their choices to help them get a tv that will best suit their needs(DVD watching) They wanted to get the best bang for the buck tv for under $1000. They were about to spend $998 for the Wal Mart 50 inch 720p Panny and I told them to go with either the Best Buy/Fry's/CC Panny 720p for $899. I gave them a few other suggestions on plasmas and LCD's but I told them to look up the PX 720p Panasonic reviews and to not just take my word for it. I offered them my number to call me if they needed any help or had questions about setting up their new set. They were very thankful and nice...and we said our goodbyes

2 minutes later(I am still looking at the tv section)and they both come up to me with a bag in hand and said "Jesse, put that set you have in your hand back on the shelf....this one is yours. We picked out the best looking one with no creases or gouges!" I look inside the bag and I see the Scorsese set with a receipt!! "Sir, I can't take this!" I said. "Please take it...otherwise you'll be insulting us. We insist...you've been very helpful! Happy New Year!"

So, a pair of nice strangers bought the set for me. What a way to start the new year!
There is some hope left for humanity!
Old 01-03-09, 12:03 AM

the porter ranch walmart was pretty much sold out of the good stuff....

the only trilogies left were

die hard
rocky
aliens
man with no name
rush hour
x-men
austin powers

basterds....lol
Old 01-03-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this the best editions available of all the Scorsese films?

Probably will pick this up. Saw a couple copies yesterday but hesitated because I was worried about that. Also worried because there was information a while back saying "Goodfellas" was going to be re-released within the next year or so.
Old 01-03-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure what store it was but the Southmore location is my local WM.

So you advised them to go to Best Buy for the exact same model of TV that was cheaper?? They could have just pricematched at Wal-mart. Although they may not have had the BB sales ad to match. I wonder if they would've been more comfortable shopping at WM seeing as how the BB associate was giving them that sales pitch for the DTV box with every set.
Old 01-03-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Not sure what store it was but the Southmore location is my local WM.

So you advised them to go to Best Buy for the exact same model of TV that was cheaper?? They could have just pricematched at Wal-mart. Although they may not have had the BB sales ad to match. I wonder if they would've been more comfortable shopping at WM seeing as how the BB associate was giving them that sales pitch for the DTV box with every set.
Not sure if it's true for all Wal Marts, but the name brands they carry are often different model numbers compared to the other major electronics stores. For

The one they were looking at inside Wal Mart was TH-M50HD18 for $998, and the one I suggested was TH-50PX80U for $899. Maybe they are just rebadged?? Didn't matter anyway, because the couple didn't have an ad to do any kind of price matching.

Now BB or CC didn't have the prices advertised for $899 but I told the man to go in there and haggle a price and show them the money. He called me yesterday and was as happy as a clam because not only did he get the TV $899, but the manager took an additional 10% off the price. You'll be surprised how receptive some store managers can be when you wanna wheel n deal on a big ticket item.

If you ask me I think the only advantage of buying a big ticket item at Wal Mart is their no hassle return policy.

As for the dvd boxed set, has anyone else noticed that the individual discs show sings of being opened and repackaged for this boxed set?

For instance, the very top edge of my Goodfellas case showed signs of the seal being pulled off, and the spines had traces of shrinkwrap.

Last edited by jessecrx; 01-03-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for the dvd boxed set, has anyone else noticed that the individual discs show sings of being opened and repackaged for this boxed set?

For instance, the very top edge of my Goodfellas case showed signs of the seal being pulled off, and the spines had traces of shrinkwrap.
I think Warner is one of the most paranoid of distributors and they just produce ALL DVDs sealed, then opened the titles for these sets manually to guarantee no returns of the unopened *CONTENTS*...don't think it's a weird scheme of re-packaging used ones (They all have "joints" too tight for even minor usage)
Old 01-04-09, 09:14 PM

Just got back from Walmart with my copy, thanks alot DVDTalk!
Old 01-05-09, 05:38 PM

Re: Martin Scorsese Collection $13.00 at Walmart YMMV

Originally Posted by Kory

Probably will pick this up. Saw a couple copies yesterday but hesitated because I was worried about that. Also worried because there was information a while back saying "Goodfellas" was going to be re-released within the next year or so.
imo without Goodfellas it still would be a great set for $13
Old 01-06-09, 01:48 AM
Suspended

i got the scorcese collection but i didnt like alice doesnt live here anymore or whos knocking at my door but the other 3 movies (mean streets,goodfellas,and after hours) make it worth every penny
thank you DVDtalk
Old 01-06-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Alice (loved the subsequent TV series growing up,,, wish THAT would be released on official dvd)... although it is a very depressing movie.
Old 01-07-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
For comparison's sake, here's what Best Buy is selling the individual titles in the various collections:

Martin Scorsese Collection
After Hours: $16.99
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore: $16.99
Goodfellas: $19.99
Mean Streets: $9.99
Who's That Knocking At My Door: $14.99
Total Savings: $66
Best Buy also sells the whole set for $70, so it's a savings of actually $53

Originally Posted by Kory

Yes, all versions are the best currently available. Doubt a new release is coming for any of these titles...

There were a few copies of the Scorsese set in Epping last night when I stopped in looking for X-Files Season 5 which I did not find, only seasons 1-3.

Last edited by basaro; 01-07-09 at 09:25 AM.