DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Deadwood: The Complete Series is $74.99 at Amazon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/546213-deadwood-complete-series-%2474-99-amazon.html)

ChipHP 12-21-08 03:29 PM

Deadwood: The Complete Series is $74.99 at Amazon

Deadwood: The Complete Series is currently $74.99 (don't know for how long) ... the 1-3 weeks projected ship date doesn't bother me (it will give my Visa a rest).

tonymontana313 12-21-08 03:39 PM

Yup, gotta love Best Buy's annual 50 percent off HBO sale.

ebertofsmut 12-21-08 04:30 PM

A good blind buy? I've never seen it, but i do love the sopranos, curb your enthusiasm, entourage..etc.

Herzog4Life 12-21-08 04:42 PM

Deadwood is def not for everyone, and although I love it I'd watch a few episodes before blind-buying.

Easy 12-21-08 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Karli (Post 9148033)
A good blind buy? I've never seen it, but i do love the sopranos, curb your enthusiasm, entourage..etc.

How do you feel about profanity? There is a LOT of it. At times it seems like every other word...
Also, when HBO killed the series I seem to recall a lot of plotlines were left dangling. Some specials were rumored to wrap things up but they never materialized.

Sessa17 12-21-08 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Karli (Post 9148033)

IMO it's by far the best show HBO has ever done. Wayyyyy better than the Soprano's which is so ovarrated & just becomes a parody of itself.

But language wise it makes the Sopranos look like a Disney cartoon, & the dialogue is very Shakespear-ian & misleadingly complex, which turns a lot of people off. It has the greatest villain in the history of TV IMO & is very much a re-invention of the Western genre in a dark realistic way that has never really been portrayed before. All the shows you mention you like are modern shows with contemporary themes, so you may not like Deadwood. If you are open minded & want to see some of the best drama & writing TV has ever produced, then give it a shot.

Liontamer 12-21-08 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9148150)
It has the greatest villain in the history of TV IMO & is very much a re-invention of the Western genre in a dark realistic way that has never really been portrayed before.

That's a pretty excellent description there. I'm not even that big of a Westerns fan, but this show was just such an excellent drama that I couldn't help but love it. Ian McShane was beyond amazing in his portrayal of Al Swearengen.
Thanks for the heads-up on the sale @ Amazon!

animatedude 12-21-08 06:02 PM

why have they been dropping the prices of all these HBO boxsets in the last few weeks except...the complete six feet under?

TheMovieman 12-21-08 06:19 PM

Kind of pissed I already have the sets as this complete series is about the width of one of those sets... Oh well.

JoeySeven 12-21-08 06:27 PM

Might try the library if you want to see a few shows before you buy.
Both my library in two different states have the complete series for check out.
thats how I watched it.

I didn't care for all the swearing,way over the top.And I'm no prune,I try to say one bad word a day.:-)

Besides that,great series.

tantheman 12-21-08 08:09 PM

Waiting until Blu-ray...

JoN8282 12-21-08 09:03 PM

obviously matching best buy's sale on this...

tigerwin 12-22-08 11:39 AM

Yes the retailers are really off this christmast they are so low on prices that my money is getting low buying all this stuff, but the deals are just to good.
http://www.image--shack.com/image/9f...9e55861964.gif

ChipHP 12-24-08 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChipHP (Post 9147935)
Deadwood: The Complete Series is currently $74.99 (don't know for how long) ... the 1-3 weeks projected ship date doesn't bother me (it will give my Visa a rest).

Amazon emailed me today that this item has shipped ... less than a week.

bluetoast 12-24-08 10:15 PM

One of my favorite shows. Excellent dialogue, and Ian McShane is awesome!

Gizmo 12-27-08 07:48 PM

Blind bought this. Not happy with the packaging....but I'll deal with it.