Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 12/14/08 to 12/20/08

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 12/14/08 to 12/20/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 09:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Big Release Comparisons

store
Mamma Mia! - The Movie
exclusive?
2 disc SE
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$16
$5 off either Mamma Mia soundtrack w/ movie purchase
$23
$27
Circuit City
$16
$23
$28
Target
$17
$25
Target exclusive deluxe edition with soundtrack CD and behind-the-scenes footage
$27
Wal-Mart
$17
bundled with bonus DVD for $20
$21
$27
Amazon
$17
$23
$27
Deep Discount
$22
$26
$31
misc store
$
$
$

store
The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor
exclusive?
2 disc SE
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$16
lithograph
$23
lithograph
$26
lithograph
Circuit City
$15
$23
interactive CD-Rom
$27
Target
$17
$23
$27
Wal-Mart
$17
bundled with bonus DVD for $20
$23
$28
Amazon
$16
$23
$26
Deep Discount
$21
$26
$49
misc store
$
$
$

store
title
exclusive?
title variation
exclusive?
Blu-ray
exclusive?
Best Buy
$
$
$
Circuit City
$
$
$
Target
$
$
$
Wal-Mart
$
$
$
Amazon
$
$
$
Deep Discount
$
$
$
misc store
$
$
$

These weekly threads are for price comparisons of all the big new releases, and the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Wednesday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; we'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Target - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Circuit City - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Wal Mart / Sam's Club - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

K-Mart/Sears -
Mamma Mia - but either version of the DVD and get the Abba 20th Century Masters CD for $3.99

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
I searched and found nothing new

Barnes and Noble -

Borders -

Costco -
I searched and found nothing new, but I could have missed something, as I got distracted by the Sopranos set and didn't look as closely as I usually do

GameStop / MovieStop -

Blockbuster -

Hot Topic -
Tokio Hotel TV Caught on Camera - exclusive to Hot Topic, $14.99

Toys-R-Us -

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives - I have not been in the stores to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Last edited by Trevor; 03-16-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-13-08, 11:23 AM

Table done for now.

Are there any other "big" releases this week that I should add?
Old 12-13-08, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Trevor. That's pretty much it for next week.

I would be interested in see the content of the Mummy and Mamma Mia WalMart bonus discs when someone gets their hands on them..
Later
Old 12-13-08, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by johnsun
Thanks Trevor. That's pretty much it for next week.

I would be interested in see the content of the Mummy and Mamma Mia WalMart bonus discs when someone gets their hands on them..
Later
Knowing WalMart, the bonus discs will probably not be Mummy- or Mamma Mia-related, but bonus (older) movies.
I could be wrong now, but I don't think so.
Old 12-13-08, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Macfly77
Knowing WalMart, the bonus discs will probably not be Mummy- or Mamma Mia-related, but bonus (older) movies.
I could be wrong now, but I don't think so.
No, they are that movie related bonus content DVDs. If they are just other movies, I've always had it listed as such.
Old 12-13-08, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
No, they are that movie related bonus content DVDs. If they are just other movies, I've always had it listed as such.
OK. My bad.
I see now that the bonus disc included with Mamma Mia! has "over 50 minutes of exclusive bonus features including the all-star cast" and that the Mummy bonus disc includes "over 45 minutes of exclusive action-packed bonus content".
As an ardent reader of your weekly threads, I should have known better, Trevor. Sorry and thanks for all your work ;-)

Last edited by Macfly77; 12-13-08 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-13-08, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the hell does DD carry the new Mummy BD for $49.14?!?

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...uctId=53780460

That's not even the MSRP.
Old 12-13-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do believe fye/twec stores have a free tote bag with pre-order for mamma mia. i know its weird, but its free
Old 12-13-08, 08:38 PM

Some Canadian exclusive off the top of my head:

Blockbuster Canada
* Mamma Mia w/ photo album

Zellers
* Mamma Mia w/ journal
Old 12-16-08, 05:40 PM

Okay, this is weird.

New this week at Target is ANOTHER Iron Man exclusive. It's essentially the same thing as the original 2-disc Iron Man helmet case, recast in grey/silver plastic (a la War Machine, or the Mark II armor from the film). It's in the circular but it was sold out when I got to the store, so I will have to check other locations to see if I need to buy this movie YET AGAIN.
Old 12-16-08, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ajay C
Okay, this is weird.

New this week at Target is ANOTHER Iron Man exclusive. It's essentially the same thing as the original 2-disc Iron Man helmet case, recast in grey/silver plastic (a la War Machine, or the Mark II armor from the film). It's in the circular but it was sold out when I got to the store, so I will have to check other locations to see if I need to buy this movie YET AGAIN.
I didn't see the circular, so I was surprised to see these in the Target I went to today. It looked like it was the same as the mask case before except it's two-tone grey like the aforementioned Mark II armor instead of red & yellow. I like exclusives, but I'm not buying it again just to get it in a different color.
Old 12-16-08, 06:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It's not weird. As long as they know there are psychos out there who must own EVERY version of a dvd, they'll keep pumping out new versions with slight variations.

Me, I pick my one favorite and buy it.
Old 12-16-08, 11:25 PM

13 chains hit, updates in progress. Note the first Hot Topic exclusive for quite awhile.
Old 12-17-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ajay C
Okay, this is weird.

If you don't see it on the shelf make sure you talk to a person that knows what they are talking about and even then be persistent and ask them to check the back. It looks like the employees working the DVD section think this is a re-stock title and aren't putting them out unless the Iron-man 2 discs are totally sold out on the shelves. That happened to me today.

The first Target I went to told me they sold out of the masks. Even though he said he knew nothing of a silver mask. I then went to a bigger target only to have them tell me there was no such thing, again. Which then led to me showing them the circular, which then led to the manager going to the back and finding an entire box.
Old 12-17-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by johnsun
I'd like to know if any of that content made it onto Blu-Ray or BD-Live. I hate buying SD discs but I'm a sucker for exclusive bonus discs.