DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   LionsGate $10 Blu Rays at Wal-mart (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/544870-lionsgate-%2410-blu-rays-wal-mart.html)

Jedi Master 33 12-02-08 11:24 AM

LionsGate $10 Blu Rays at Wal-mart

Was at Wal Mart today and they had some Lionsgate Blu Ray titles for $10 each. They had:

Terminator 2
Total Recall
Stargate
The Punisher{2004}
Crash
The Rambo movies[not the most recent one}
Saw 1 and 2
Young Guns
Reservoir Dogs

Dead 12-02-08 12:55 PM

My Wal-Mart has at least some of those for $10 too. I picked up Stargate there over the weekend.

TGM 12-02-08 01:05 PM

avoid Total Recall on Bluray like the frikkin' plague, people.

movielib 12-02-08 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9106224)

The British blu-ray (region free) is quite good. Same for T2.

Eric F 12-02-08 06:14 PM

I was there at my local one and noticed this and every single one was OOS.

DirkBelig 12-02-08 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9106224)

ORLY? The reviews I'd seen were fairly favorable.

Michael Corvin 12-02-08 06:59 PM

Stargate wasn't too hot when I rented it either.

movielib 12-02-08 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig (Post 9107142)
ORLY? The reviews I'd seen were fairly favorable.

The British one is far superior. Much better PQ and DTS HD Master Audio too. It will play on your Region A player. Ditto for T2 (and it's the director's cut).

movielib 12-02-08 07:08 PM

My Wal-Mart had plenty of copies of all the $10 titles.

TGM 12-02-08 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 9106795)
The British blu-ray (region free) is quite good. Same for T2.

yeah, but is that the one on sale at Walmart? doubtful!

movielib 12-02-08 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9107404)
yeah, but is that the one on sale at Walmart? doubtful!

No, of course not. But there are some good deals in the British stores. Admittedly not as good as $10 but I'd much rather have the good version and pay a little more. I passed on the US version for a long time and bought the British when I found out about it. In a 3 for 2 deal I paid less than $15 each, including shipping, for TR and T2.

The Monkees 12-02-08 10:39 PM

I didn't know about these until I went to Wal-Mart today. I got the last copy of Saw II, didn't see Saw I, but they did have T2 and Total Recall.

NiCK Crush 12-03-08 01:00 AM

really wish Saw III was a part of this...

DirkBelig 12-03-08 01:24 AM

Why the hell would quality be so variable depending on region? I've got the US T2 and it's a'ight, but I figured it was just grainier cuz it's a Super 35 source.

movielib 12-03-08 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig (Post 9107762)
Why the hell would quality be so variable depending on region? I've got the US T2 and it's a'ight, but I figured it was just grainier cuz it's a Super 35 source.

Quite simply they are (in some cases) different. The same studio does not always do the same film in different regions. They are not always clones of each other.

T2, for example, is supposed to have better PQ in the British version than in the American (different source, different transfer, different codec?). Furthermore, The British T2 is the Director's Cut and the American is the theatrical version. Finally the British has lossless audio and the American has lossy audio.

The American does have some commentaries not present in the British so if that's more important to you, OK. But I, and I figure most people, have the DVD(s) with all the tons of extras so just keep that (those).

I'm just trying to give people information. I know I appreciated finding this out.

xfilekr 12-03-08 07:23 AM

Looks like they are at amazon on sale too

Jediturtle 12-03-08 07:32 AM

Thanks OP. Grabbed Saw 1 and 2 last night. Awesome! :)

PopcornBandit 12-03-08 10:21 AM

Every single title was OOS at one of my local Wal-Mart's. I'll check the other two sometime tomorrow. I would love to grab Reservoir Dogs for $10.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if they were sold out or if they just hadn't stocked the shelves yet. I find it hard to believe they would all be sold out.

DirkBelig 12-03-08 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 9107164)
The British one is far superior. Much better PQ and DTS HD Master Audio too. It will play on your Region A player. Ditto for T2 (and it's the director's cut).

According to the Amazon UK page, it's PAL and the user reviews of the PQ are brutal, so what are you looking at?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 12-03-08 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by xfilekr (Post 9107933)

Rambo trilogy is only $25 at amazon. Was $17.50 yesterday.

Edubble 12-03-08 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by xfilekr (Post 9107933)

Amazon has Saw I & II for $12.49 each.

movielib 12-03-08 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig (Post 9108340)
According to the Amazon UK page, it's PAL and the user reviews of the PQ are brutal, so what are you looking at?

There is no PAL (or NTSC) in blu-ray. Amazon and many other sellers still haven't gotten their act together when it comes to their descriptions of blu-ray.

And many of the reviewers praise the PQ. It is certainly far better than any DVD. One reviewer who has seen both said: "This is much better than the US BD, as it was riddled with compression problems, so that's one thing we can be thankful to Optimum and Canal+." I haven't seen the American blu-ray myself but I'm sure the British is at least as good. Plus, as I've said, director's cut and lossless audio.

I'm sure we haven't seen the best blu-ray there will ever be of this film but right now it's easily the best available.

Snowmaker 12-03-08 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 9107881)
Quite simply they are (in some cases) different. The same studio does not always do the same film in different regions. They are not always clones of each other.

T2, for example, is supposed to have better PQ in the British version than in the American (different source, different transfer, different codec?). Furthermore, The British T2 is the Director's Cut and the American is the theatrical version. Finally the British has lossless audio and the American has lossy audio.

The American does have some commentaries not present in the British so if that's more important to you, OK. But I, and I figure most people, have the DVD(s) with all the tons of extras so just keep that (those).

I'm just trying to give people information. I know I appreciated finding this out.

Good to know. T2 and Total Recall are two titles I probably would have picked up.

WiiDSmoker 12-03-08 04:25 PM

Thanks. I picked up Saw and Saw 2

CapRockBrewingCo. 12-03-08 06:10 PM

Picked up Crash and Reservoir Dogs. Already had Young Guns. The Wal-Mart near me had at least 4 of every one mentioned.