DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BORDERS: Save 40% off dvd box sets

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BORDERS: Save 40% off dvd box sets

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ew_cybermonday

Save 40% when you buy up to 2 dvd box sets.

Code: CM2008
plus free shipping over $25.

I got:
Godzilla 5-pack(5 discs).... normally $46.99(over $50 on amazon)
Predator set collection(4 discs).... normally $25.99

Sub Total: $72.98
Sales Tax: $2.39
Shipping: $0.00
Coupons & Promotions: -$29.20
Order Total: $46.17

Kind of sucks there's sales tax, but it's alright. Also, apparently the code is working for blu ray singles and other things. I didn't try that yet though. Remember, the sale only applies up to 2 box sets.... or items.

btw, sorry if this was already created.
Old 12-01-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap, I knew their BD prices were high but not that high!

EDIT:

Yeah, it works on single items (DVD and BD) also.

I just can't find anything worth using it on since the prices are so insane. Any hints?
Old 12-01-08, 02:14 PM
Cool New Member

Well... with blu rays, there's not much of a sale because after the 40% they end up being around amazon prices.

It works much better with dvd box sets etc.
Old 12-01-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used it to pre-order Becker: Season 2 and Yentl: 25th Anniversary Edition for about $30, with tax.

Rob
Old 12-01-08, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

btw, how long does it take for a order to show up in your history page on the site? Got the email, but there's nothing in my order history page.
Old 12-01-08, 02:46 PM
Banned

Already discussed:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-weekly-6.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...s-rewards.html
Old 12-01-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Got the 40% off email today - then when I enter the code, it says expired!
Old 12-01-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just used it and it worked (only got one qualifying title though).

Shrek the Third HD-DVD Backorder $9.84

Comedy Central?s TV Funhouse [2 Discs] DVD In Process 1 $25.99

Sub Total: $35.83
Sales Tax: $1.71
Coupons & Promotions: -$10.40

Order Total: $27.14
Old 12-01-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called them and got a helpful CSR. She said that the coupon had worked for most of the day, but that they had started getting some reports of customers getting the expired message. She put the order through and I've received the confirmation email.

Had a $25 gift card so was able to pick up Lost Season 4 for $13.51 out-of-pocket.

Lost: The Complete Fourth Season [6 Discs]
DVD Pre-order 1 $41.99

Sub Total: $41.99
Sales Tax: $2.52
Coupons & Promotions: -$6.00

Order Total: $38.51
Old 12-01-08, 07:13 PM

As always, the best time and place to purchase Mystery Science Theater 3000's.
Old 12-01-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Lime Green set shall be mine for $86 + tax
Old 12-02-08, 09:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
The Lime Green set shall be mine for $86 + tax
Same here, thanks for the idea. Had a gift card to use too.
Old 12-02-08, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just missed it by 3 minutes. Had seasons 3 and 4 of "Little House on the Prairie" for my daughter in the queue with the coupon but by the time I got to the final page the discount was removed. Oh well...maybe next time.
Old 12-03-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RequiemX
As always, the best time and place to purchase Mystery Science Theater 3000's.
Don't the box sets end up being around $37 after coupon? Fry's everyday price is lower than that. MST3K box sets ended up around $28 during Deep Discount's latest 25% off sale.
Old 12-03-08, 08:38 AM

The problem with Border's coupons, as opposed to almost every other outlet, is that when they say 40% off, they mean 40% off their retail price, not an additional 40% off the price they are selling something at.

In other words, let's say there's a set that's $100 retail. You find out about the coupon and rush to Border's online site. You see that they carry the set and find that Borders has done what many online site's do - they've discounted it 30% (Amazon and others do this with almost everything). So the price is $70. You then start calculating 40% off of $70 thinking that you'll end up getting this set for $42! That's a great, great deal. But then you put it in the cart and apply the discount code and realize that it's only giving you an additional $10 off, which makes the price $60 instead of $42. Huge difference. But they are only going to give you the 40% off the original retail price. And frankly, if one waits for coupon codes from other places you can always get better deals at almost any of the other outlets (Amazon, DD, DVD Planet, B&N) because when they offer a 20% or 25% coupon code, it's off the price they have listed (which is generally already discounted anywhere from 30% on up).

Bottom line. For my money there are much better places to shop. But that's just my two cents.
Old 12-03-08, 09:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I would hope that everyone knows the above. Borders is pretty much the highest price on everything, even with coupons.

But, thanks to gift cards, cashback sites, Discover rewards, survey participation gift cards, etc; I end up buying quite a bit at Borders, usually waiting for these 40% coupons to make it at least close to a bargain.
Old 12-03-08, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GaryO
The problem with Border's coupons, as opposed to almost every other outlet, is that when they say 40% off, they mean 40% off their retail price, not an additional 40% off the price they are selling something at.

In other words, let's say there's a set that's $100 retail. You find out about the coupon and rush to Border's online site. You see that they carry the set and find that Borders has done what many online site's do - they've discounted it 30% (Amazon and others do this with almost everything). So the price is $70. You then start calculating 40% off of $70 thinking that you'll end up getting this set for $42! That's a great, great deal. But then you put it in the cart and apply the discount code and realize that it's only giving you an additional $10 off, which makes the price $60 instead of $42. Huge difference. But they are only going to give you the 40% off the original retail price. And frankly, if one waits for coupon codes from other places you can always get better deals at almost any of the other outlets (Amazon, DD, DVD Planet, B&N) because when they offer a 20% or 25% coupon code, it's off the price they have listed (which is generally already discounted anywhere from 30% on up).

Bottom line. For my money there are much better places to shop. But that's just my two cents.
Your post should be the 1st one everybody reads when they look at this thread. Thanks!
Old 12-03-08, 05:32 PM

Ahhh, what would a Borders thread be without the usual Borders bashing?

Yes, they sell box sets at MSRP (who DOESN'T know this?)

Yes, you then take 40% off the list price.

I just picked up WB's Controversial Classics collection and WB's Twisted Terror collection for about $25 cheaper than you could ever find them anywhere on the internet.

Yeah, Borders sure sucks alright.
Old 12-03-08, 06:29 PM

I bought 9 semi-obscure movies during the recent Borders 40% off sale and each one of them was cheaper than they were during the recent DeepDiscount sale. I grouped my purchases into 3 groups of 2, which I had shipped free to my house, and single selections which I had shipped free to their local store.

People who blow their noses at this sale just aren't careful enough shoppers.
Old 12-03-08, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well I'm glad now that I missed out on the sale last night for the "Little House on the Prairie" seasons. The Borders price last night after the 40% discount would have been about $25 a piece. Turns out Amazon lowered their price as of this morning to just under $20 a season.
Old 12-03-08, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh
Don't the box sets end up being around $37 after coupon? Fry's everyday price is lower than that. MST3K box sets ended up around $28 during Deep Discount's latest 25% off sale.
Nope. Totals are usually around $25-27 (40% off $47).

The 25% sale this year at DD made them close to that, though the 20% sales of yesteryear did not.

And although borders.com delivery is average (3-5 days for me), it sure beats the 2-3 week DD delivery times. Plus there's tracking.

Besides the amazingly craptacular borders.com website (how does their giant flash banner bring a Core 2 Duo to it's knees?), I've been fairly pleased by them.
Old 12-04-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got a shipping notice for Lost Season Four!

Maybe it will arrive before release day...
Old 12-05-08, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by kintnerboy

I just picked up WB's Controversial Classics collection and WB's Twisted Terror collection for about $25 cheaper than you could ever find them anywhere on the internet.

Not really refuting, but just an FYI, I picked up this set for 58.99 at DD's B1G1 sale back in September. I got it with the John Wayne-John Ford Collection. Worked out to ~$30 each. Great set.
Old 12-05-08, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by kintnerboy

Yeah, I noticed these two sets were popular sellers.

Borders sucks ass. That's why some of us respond to anything Borders. Their website is inferior, their navigation is retarded, and you're lucky to get your specially priced sale or clearanced items shipped to you. I just recently tried YET AGAIN to get some clearanced prices on HD DVDs. Did the morons even have their database cleared from their HD DVDs? Hell no. Was this on purpose just to get people to go to their site? Probably. Bait and Switch? Probably. They need all the help they can get. I've attempted to place orders with some really great deals on their site before, but always get a cancelled order. I'm done playing around.

Sure, go ahead and throw a few rather obscure DVD sets, the first of which rank #40,870 on Amazon and the second #71,603, and then say Borders is a great place to shop. That's great evidence.

Speaking of recent deals. Did Borders offer an average of $7 per Bond title on Blu-ray? Did Borders offer 10 Blu-ray titles at already-reduced prices with an additional $100 off? Did Borders offer Supernatural Season 3 on Blu for $31.99? Did Borders offer The Godfather Trilogy on Blu for $41.99?

But you'll probably say, "Who buys Blu-ray movies?" Well, Amazon has great prices on them regular old DVDs, too.

The difference between Borders and Amazon, is to even match Amazon's regular prices, you have to scavenge for a Borders coupon. When Amazon has an actual SALE, Borders is no match.

Sure, you'll save a few bucks from time to time on Borders. But if you're a regular DVD addict like many of us here, it's Amazon for many of us, and Borders doesn't even come across our DVD radar purchasing screen unless we're bored and will attempt to place an order for some clearanced merchandise, which is more than likely kept online to merely bait consumers.

Btw, I just put John Adams and Die Hard Ultimate Collection in my cart at Borders. It's $112.78.

At Amazon, it's $73.98. That's for both sets. Not just one.

Oh, Looney Tunes Volume One and Two are $24.99 each at Amazon. At Borders...well, I couldn't even find Volume One, but Volume Two is $56.69 and you can get volumes 1-5 for a Recession Saving $321.99.

Hooah.
Old 12-05-08, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Sure, you'll save a few bucks from time to time on Borders. But if you're a regular DVD addict like many of us here, it's Amazon for many of us, and Borders doesn't even come across our DVD radar purchasing screen unless we're bored and will attempt to place an order for some clearanced merchandise, which is more than likely kept online to merely bait consumers.
Um, if you're a REAL DVD addict you'll have learned by now that it's stupid to favor only one place (like Amazon) and you'll go wherever the deals are. Except for a few weeks at the end of each year, Amazon is one of my least favorite places to shop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.