Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

The soaring dollar and international DVD deals thread

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-24-08, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to post this in amazon 2 for $10 thread but it would have been OT and noticed that others were starting OT conversations along the same line.

With the rising dollar, international bargain hunting is now possible again....finally some good economic news!

I was interested in getting the Region 2 Quantum Leap complete collection since it includes most of the original music unlike the butchered US sets. A few months ago it was around $150USD. Just this past week I got it for 59 Pounds UK which with the current exchange rate is only about $100! It shows up as 64 Pounds now but is still a good deal if you have region 2 player.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quantum-Leap...4885793&sr=8-1

I hope this thread can be helpful for consolidating non US deals. Mods if this thread is too generic I'd be willing to change it to just amazon.co.uk deals.
Old 10-24-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the post, but I bet this will be moved to the International forum...
Old 10-24-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cheapdvdho
I was interested in getting the Region 2 Quantum Leap complete collection since it includes most of the original music unlike the butchered US sets. [snip] Just this past week I got it for 59 Pounds UK which with the current exchange rate is only about $100!
Thanks very much for the post. I've been waiting for confirmation about the last episode in this set. Reading through the comments, there were pressing errors wherein the last episode would not play. If you've received your set, can you pop in the last episode and test it? Thanks!
Old 10-24-08, 07:07 PM

Amazon UK prices include VAT, I believe. When you add them to your cart and choose a US address, the prices drop.
Old 10-24-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet, thanks for posting this thread. I'm in for the Mad Detective Blu-ray release from Eureka's Masters of Cinema series.

Last edited by Brent L; 10-24-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-24-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Didn't realize that was such a good deal.
Old 10-24-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Might be soaring in Europe, but it ain't in Japan ......

About six months ago ¥10,000 used to be approx $95, now it's $106. Not hugely significant if it's only $10 difference off a $100 set, but still ....

Amz.jp is running 23% sale off the Grindhouse release but add in shipping = $98. Play-asia is running a 15% off sale, and add shipping = $90. Not bad, but I'm going to wait the market out .....
Old 10-25-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The flight to safety has lots of people fleeing currencies from around the world to the perceived safety of the dollar and the yen. The yen is stronger than the dollar right now (a 13 year high vs. the $, I believe) and because of that there are no great deals likely to be found there.
Old 10-25-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts
Hong Kong exchange rate is still about the same ($1US = $7.76HK), and my DDDHouse wishlist keeps growing. Bummer.
Old 10-25-08, 09:59 AM

It's been soaring against the Australian dollar, too. I've been following the price of series two of BBC historical drama The Onedin Line, and its price has dropped from over $US60 to around $42 shipped within the past month or so.

Australia is the only place where series two is available unedited. It's a four-disc set.
Old 10-25-08, 11:43 AM

I've been a member for quite sometime, and yet I did not realize there was an international dvd section. Not that I was looking for international dvds b4.

So what international site is the best place to buy hd dvds? Since these are region free, figure it should be worth it somewhere to order these, esp. those that are not available here.
Old 10-25-08, 12:23 PM

One place you might want to look is dvd.co.uk. They've got a 2-for-£10 sale on quite a few HD-DVDs. They charge either £1 or £2 per title to ship to the USA. One pound = $1.59.

On their main home page, the HD-DVD for 300 is £3.02.
Old 10-25-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris-K
One place you might want to look is dvd.co.uk. They've got a 2-for-£10 sale on quite a few HD-DVDs. They charge either £1 or £2 per title to ship to the USA. One pound = $1.59.

On their main home page, the HD-DVD for 300 is £3.02.
Will the HD and Blu ray dvd's that aren't R1 work on players in the U.S.? I know regular R1 dvd players can be hacked but I thought the high def formats could not be.
Old 10-25-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
With the uk pound at about $1.59 there's some great prices on the britcoms from Amazon. My Family boxed set of seasons 1-7 can be purchased for under $55 now. a great series if you havent seen it.
Old 10-25-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by movieguru
Will the HD and Blu ray dvd's that aren't R1 work on players in the U.S.? I know regular R1 dvd players can be hacked but I thought the high def formats could not be.
AFAIK, there is no region coding with HD-DVD, so you can order them from wherever you please. Blu-Ray, on the other hand...
Old 10-25-08, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-K
Thanks for the tip! I bought the following from the above mentioned site:

HDY18468 Blade Runner - The Final Cut (HD-DVD)
* Buy 2 HD-DVDs for £10
1 £5.00 £1.00
HDY13940 TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2007) (HD-DVD)
* Buy 2 HD-DVDs for £10
1 £5.00 £1.00
8254522 Atonement (HD-DVD)
1 £3.00 £1.00

Total of £16. Which should be around $26.

I was tempted to get Robin Hood Season 1 at £14 and change. But the additional £5 shipping made me change my mind. It still is a good price, so am still thinking about it....

Last edited by DVDGamer; 10-25-08 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-25-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by movieguru
Sly Soft Any DVD is said to do Blu-ray, but obviously only on a computer.
Old 10-25-08, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Thanks for the post, but I bet this will be moved to the International forum...
Hope not....this is hopefully for deals only! Like DVDGamer, I had no idea there was an international folder.

Originally Posted by DVDude!
I've been waiting for confirmation about the last episode in this set. Reading through the comments, there were pressing errors wherein the last episode would not play. If you've received your set, can you pop in the last episode and test it? Thanks!
Picked up one of those cheap philips players at Costco today, set it to Region 0, put in the last disc and started the last episode and it started fine! I know this was a problem in the past but folks on the UK site claim the last disc is fixed and my set seems to confirm that. Good luck!

Originally Posted by RequiemX
Amazon UK prices include VAT, I believe. When you add them to your cart and choose a US address, the prices drop.
Ahhh....mystery solved! That's why prices get cheaper for US addresses when you check out. Cool!
Old 10-25-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any ideas if the Red Dwarf Body Snatchers collection will make it to the US? I've been holding off on buying it in hopes that it would, but I might have to pick it up soon if it won't.
Old 10-25-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up one of those cheap philips players at Costco today, set it to Region 0, put in the last disc and started the last episode and it started fine! I know this was a problem in the past but folks on the UK site claim the last disc is fixed and my set seems to confirm that. Good luck!
Thanks very much for the confirmation! I think I'll go ahead and pick it up--especially due to the strong US dollar, as you pointed out.
Old 10-25-08, 07:31 PM

The Toshiba XD-E500 is now $97.38 at Amazon. With the codes available, wouldn't this player play all other regions? I'm thinking of finally getting this upconverter, though there are mixed reviews on this player.
Old 10-25-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Sly Soft Any DVD is said to do Blu-ray, but obviously only on a computer.
And you can output from your video card to your HDTV in most cases.
Old 10-25-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks OP, I had virtually stopped buying overseas during the past year. CDWOW's dollar currency prices appear to be overinflated but if you check out in pounds you can get some good deals. Mad Detective BD and Black Narcissus BD are 13.98GBP each. No shipping fees and it looks like if you check out via Paypal, there is no conversion fee for the currency exchange. I know Amazon.co.uk is more dependable but I'm a cheapskate. They also appear to have the Tartan Seventh Seal BD which I'm guessing is OOP. Maybe someone can confirm that, but I think Tartan is out of business. You could hope for a Criterion BD I guess.
The only HD-DVD's I'm interested in buying are any that are hi def exclusives to the format. If someone knows of any, I might be interested. An example would be the US release of Grand Prix which I'm anticipating will not come out on Blu Ray.
Old 10-25-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope not....this is hopefully for deals only! Like DVDGamer, I had no idea there was an international folder.
I only said that because twice in the past I have posted a thread here about an international DVD deal, and both times the Mods moved my thread to the international area. Personally, I think it belongs here as well. A DVD bargain is a DVD bargain, no matter what country it's from...
Old 10-25-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Any ideas if the Red Dwarf Body Snatchers collection will make it to the US? I've been holding off on buying it in hopes that it would, but I might have to pick it up soon if it won't.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is so special about this set? Is there anything on it that the US releases don't have? I've seen other post about wanting this badly, but I didn't think there was any new material on it...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.