Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Prices: October 5 - October 11, 2008

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy Prices: October 5 - October 11, 2008

Old 10-08-08, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone found the $10 rebate form in their copy of Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray? Could this be just a Best Buy thing since they have the gift card deal? I don't have a Blu-Ray player, yet, but I was thinking about going ahead and picking this up, especially with the rebate offers. I just don't know what DVD to send away. If it has to be an actual Disney film, I have the original Sleeping Beauty and the Limited Edition Little Mermaid that I'll have extra (since I have the PE release of Little Mermaid and I'll have this release of Sleeping Beauty). But should I give up either of these just for a $10 gift card? If they would take any Beuna Vista DVD, I have an extra Sixth Sense I'd be willing to give up (since I have the Vista version) . I'm just not sure. But the $10 rebate offer might still entice me. If anyone has the rebate, will it work for the 2003 DVD or just the Platinum Edition DVD?

Last edited by obidawsn; 10-08-08 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-08-08, 09:10 AM

First of all..there is no $10 rebate. All Best Buy is offering is a $10 gift card if you buy the BLU-RAY Sleeping Beauty and then mail them back "any disney dvd." There is no other rebate that I could find inside the case or attached. On a side note...I hated the way they glued the SD disc to the blu ray case.
Old 10-08-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
According to Ultimate Disney, there IS a rebate inside one of the booklets:

"Per long-held tradition, Sleeping Beauty comes in a black standard-width keepcase that's housed in a requisite embossed cardboard slipcover. This one stands out for providing more than half a dozen little spots that reflect the person holding it. Three items are found inside the case. A Disney Movie Rewards booklet provides a code and information on a Sleeping Beauty-themed sweepstakes. A smaller but thicker booklet holds a number of product ads and coupons, some PSAs, Blu-ray touting, and a short-lived $10 rebate for Sleeping Beauty Platinum DVD/Blu-ray double dippers. The final and most standard insert provides a navigational overview of the set, a scene selections list, and some words on the major bonuses and the Platinum Edition line as a whole."
Old 10-08-08, 09:21 AM

This must only be in sd-dvd then. It sure wasn't in the blu-ray. Neither was the navigational booklet.
Old 10-08-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jsz1002 View Post
This must only be in sd-dvd then. It sure wasn't in the blu-ray. Neither was the navigational booklet.
Bummer!!!

Thanks, jsz1002!
Old 10-08-08, 10:53 AM

I wonder how it is at other places? If, somehow, they were able to keep them out of the shipments that Best Buy got, but other stores have the rebate inside, it might be a better bet to go somewhere else. I'd rather send a UPC of my original Sleeping Beauty that the entire disc, then get a $10 rebate rather than a $10 gift card. I was hoping to go with both, though.
Old 10-08-08, 11:11 AM

The 10.00 rebate is in the retail DVD version of Sleeping Beauty.

10.00 back by mail when you buy both Sleeping Beauty on Blu-Ray and SD-DVD.

A friend of mine bought the SD-DVD and gave me the form out of it. You need to send either the proof of purchase tab or the upc from SD-DVD and the proof of purchase tab from the blu-ray. Plus the receipt from the blu-ray.

Either way, pop or upc you need to cut a piece out of the back cover.

This offer is not the same as the 10.00 gc from best buy for mailing back a used Disney DVD.

There's also a $3.00 off coupon for Ariel's Beginning in the SD-DVD.

Last edited by DarthScooby; 10-08-08 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-08-08, 11:15 AM

Not much benefit in buying both versions to get 10 dollars back.

They are referring to the 2008 SD version, not the 2003 right?
Old 10-08-08, 11:18 AM

Not much benefit in buying both versions to get 10 dollars back. They are referring to the 2008 SD version, not the 2003 right?
Not at all but if you know someone who bought the dvd version and can give you the coupon AND a chunk out of their artwork then not so bad.

Correct on the 2008 version.
Old 10-08-08, 11:43 AM

Has anyone figured out the DVD send-off for SB BR? If it has to be an actual Disney movie (i.e. not Touchstone, Miramax, etc.), then I have two choices to send. However, if they only want the disc, I wonder if I can get by sending Disc 1 of the 2003 Sleeping Beauty (still keeping the 2nd disc..at least I'm sure it had a 2nd disc, I don't have it on me) and putting the new SD disc in its place in the case. That might work for me.
Old 10-08-08, 01:17 PM

I just sent the disc. It's not indicated on the envelope whether to send disc or case and disc. It's not really big enough for a case.
Old 10-08-08, 01:27 PM

So there were mailing envelopes on the outside of the big display for the disc mail-in rebate? I didn't see any at the BB in Back Bay Boston. If someone could grab an extra and shoot me a PM, i'd be very grateful, and of course I'd be happy to pay for your postage to me.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-08, 03:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Not much benefit in buying both versions to get 10 dollars back.

They are referring to the 2008 SD version, not the 2003 right?
No I think you misunderstand. Especially since the BD HAS the SD incuded in it.

The deal is if you bought the PREVIOUS version of Sleeping Beauty on SD, then you can get $10 back by now upgrading and buying the BD.

...although, I suppose, if you bought the new 2008 SD, theyd let you do it with that one too, but like you said, no benefit in that.
Old 10-08-08, 03:03 PM

Wow, an actual POSITIVE experience at Best Buy!!! I guess theres a first time for everything!!

I went in today and picked up Sleeping Beauty and Robot Chicken S3. I asked if I could use the 10% off coupon on either and she said she'd try. It didn't work, but she manually went in and took 10% off Robot Chicken. Woo Hoo!

...of course, I also got the Sleeping Beauty alarm clock, and snagged 3 copies of the Buffy Panel for myself and some friends.
Old 10-08-08, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post

The deal is if you bought the PREVIOUS version of Sleeping Beauty on SD, then you can get $10 back by now upgrading and buying the BD.

...although, I suppose, if you bought the new 2008 SD, theyd let you do it with that one too, but like you said, no benefit in that.
It sounds like you are saying that you can get the rebate if you had previously bought the 2003 DVD and upgraded to the 2008 Blu-ray. How would that work if only the 2008 DVD (and not the Blu-ray) had the upgrade form, as others are reporting?
Old 10-08-08, 04:11 PM

No, the rebate states you need to send the proof of purchase from the 50th Anniversary DVD (not the one included with the blu) and the 50th Blu... Not the 2003.
Old 10-08-08, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by DarthScooby View Post
No, the rebate states you need to send the proof of purchase from the 50th Anniversary DVD (not the one included with the blu) and the 50th Blu... Not the 2003.
Sorry for my misinformation then - I dont own a BD player, but had just heard about past "upgrade" rebates...
But Wow, if that's the case with this one that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The BD includes the SD - So why would anyone have both if they both just came out the same day?? It's not like someone could have bought it before and is upgrading now!
Old 10-08-08, 09:01 PM

Sorry for my misinformation then - I dont own a BD player, but had just heard about past "upgrade" rebates...
But Wow, if that's the case with this one that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The BD includes the SD - So why would anyone have both if they both just came out the same day?? It's not like someone could have bought it before and is upgrading now!
I think the idea is much like they have done in the past (i.e. Enchanted) except that instead of a $10 coupon they have a $10 rebate. They know that people will purchase the DVD without paying any attention to the Blu-Ray (or that it has a copy of the SD DVD as well). They will see the rebate and if they are considering upgrading to Blu-Ray they now have an incentive. And for those without a Blu-Ray player this might be a good choice to purchase the SD DVD (while it's on sale this week for about $15) so they are able to watch all the features now. Then they can purchase the Blu-Ray with the $10 rebate. They might have an extra copy of Disc 1, but at least they'll be able to watch the disc 2 features, now. If they were planning on purchasing the Blu-Ray just to get the SD DVD with it, then with the $10 rebate, they will only be paying about $5 to get disc 2 of the SD DVD (if they purchase it this week) and they'll have the Blu-Ray for later. I wish they had a rebate for those who own the original DVD, but oh well.
Old 10-09-08, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by obidawsn View Post
I think the idea is much like they have done in the past (i.e. Enchanted) except that instead of a $10 coupon they have a $10 rebate. They know that people will purchase the DVD without paying any attention to the Blu-Ray (or that it has a copy of the SD DVD as well). They will see the rebate and if they are considering upgrading to Blu-Ray they now have an incentive. And for those without a Blu-Ray player this might be a good choice to purchase the SD DVD (while it's on sale this week for about $15) so they are able to watch all the features now. Then they can purchase the Blu-Ray with the $10 rebate. They might have an extra copy of Disc 1, but at least they'll be able to watch the disc 2 features, now. If they were planning on purchasing the Blu-Ray just to get the SD DVD with it, then with the $10 rebate, they will only be paying about $5 to get disc 2 of the SD DVD (if they purchase it this week) and they'll have the Blu-Ray for later. I wish they had a rebate for those who own the original DVD, but oh well.
Wow. That's stranger and more convoluted then sending in the Disney DVD. How weird especially if the bluray already has the dvd.

And someone said the DVD is glued to the bluray case? How bad is it?
Old 10-09-08, 07:08 AM

It's really not that convoluted (though I might have made it that way). I don't have a Blu-Ray player but I already own Enchanted because my DVD had the $10 coupon in it. So I went ahead and picked it up while it was on sale for $25 (thus making it $15). They're doing the same thing, except this time with a rebate instead of a coupon. The fact that they have the DVD (which is really only Disc 1) attached to the Blu-Ray may make it seem silly, but trust me...most people who purchase the DVD will probably not be paying any attention to the Blu-Ray (not less the fact that it includes disc 1 of the DVD).
Old 10-09-08, 08:19 PM

I had a simple solution for me to get the $10 rebate from best buy, that some others may wish to try. If you have a pawn shop/used movie store/etc., that sells movies you can probable find a disney movie for cheap(non animated), to use for the rebate. I was able to get a movie for $4.26. Rebate has the word ANY in capital letters.

Here is what I did to pick up the Blu ray without spending any cash!

Best buy price: $25.99
-rewards Cert. -$10.00
Price with tax =$17.07
Paid with prefunded rebate visa card
Went to used Game/movie store next door and picked up Disney's The Kid for $4.26 using store credit. Sending it in for the $10 rebate card.

Now to make it more interesting:
I'm going to sell off my 2003 copy of Sleeping Beauty which is Mint.
I may also sell the sealed bonus Sd copy that was included and the alarm clock.

So in the end, it will probable work out to being free.
Old 10-09-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked up the exclusive 2 disc Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer for $8.99 (online price) today.
Old 10-09-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn all of you! I finally succumbed to the peer pressure to get Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray after holding out most of the week. I'm going to use someone's suggestion and send my Stitch! The [crappy] Movie in for the rebate.

Probably need to sell off my old Sleeping Beauty 2003 DVD at some point too ... but with this economy, we'll see who's buying.
Old 10-10-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone else get 10% off their order this week?

All I did was put my copies of Simpsons S11 and How I Met Your Mother S3 and my RewardZone card on the counter, the cashier scanned them, told me what my total was, took my money, gave me my change, handed me my bag with my receipt and told me to have a nice day.

No scanning of a 10% off coupon or anything like that.
Old 10-11-08, 07:22 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Disney's Teacher's Pet rang up used at my local FYE store for 2.99 even though it was marked higher. I had a coupon that brought it down to 2.00 If anyone needs a Disney DVD check out the used at FYE. I was worried I wouldnt be able to do the rebate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.