Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

If you bought Godfather BD and have SD version don't toss it out ($10 rebate)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I sold my Godfather SD set to DVD Planet before I received my BD version today with a sticker on the outside indicating a $10.00 rebate if you already own the SD version. Feh...
Old 09-24-08, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up! My BD set shipped today and I still have the SD version somewhere. Hope I get the sticker.

-Dorfler
Old 09-24-08, 08:53 PM

When does the rebate expire?

And do we have to cut out anything? I don't want to damage my new set(I hate cutting out UPC bar code and proof of purchase tab if it is part of the cover)
Also, I don't see any proof of purchase tab on my original DVD set, what do we do have to show as a proof?
Old 09-24-08, 10:17 PM

I thought the set indicated $10 savings if you have the NEW SD restoration and then upgrade to BD, kinda like what Disney has had with their Nightmare Before Xmas and Pixar movies... I don't think it qualifies if you have the original SD release.
Old 09-24-08, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
I thought the set indicated $10 savings if you have the NEW SD restoration and then upgrade to BD, kinda like what Disney has had with their Nightmare Before Xmas and Pixar movies... I don't think it qualifies if you have the original SD release.
It specifically says the "original" DVD.

Here's my problem, I can't find the Proof of Purchase on my original set.
Old 09-25-08, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't the original box come with one of those paper's stuck to the back of the box that had the proof of purchase on it? Hopefully I just stuck the paper into the box, so when mine shows up in the mail in the next couple days I can get $10 back.
Old 09-25-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
didn't the original box come with one of those paper's stuck to the back of the box that had the proof of purchase on it? Hopefully I just stuck the paper into the box, so when mine shows up in the mail in the next couple days I can get $10 back.
I almost typed a response saying it was on there, but halfway through thought I'd better check.
I save every one of those goofy pieces of paper, and this one does NOT have the little "proof of purchase" blocks on it. UPC? yes. So if it asks for UPC, there's that...otherwise it's just standard back of dvd junk.
Old 09-25-08, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
There's also a UPC symbol on the bottom of the box.
Old 09-25-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
Originally Posted by animefan
when does the rebate expire?
12/31/09
Old 09-25-08, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
I'm looking at the rebate slip now and it DOESNT specify if it's the old set or the new set. The rebate slip on the reverse side has the offer also if you have the SD version of Transformers, Old School, Stardust, Sweeny Todd and Zodiac, so I'm assuming even the old one is good. Dont forget this is a Paramount title AND there is a little check box asking if you would've bought this title had it not had the $10 off.

Disney is different. They probably want you to have the new set as I did with Grey's Season 4. Luckily I was able to sell the SD version on Ebay at a decent price.

One other thing. The proof of purchase in on the outer sleeve of the case. Unfortunately, these HD-DVD/BD cases are all plastic and have nowhere to put that little cardboard stub inside.
Old 09-25-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
On the old set, will we have to use an Xacto knife to get the UPC off the box, (thus ruining it), or will they accept a photocopy?
Old 09-25-08, 10:32 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
On the old set, will we have to use an Xacto knife to get the UPC off the box, (thus ruining it), or will they accept a photocopy?
Seems like they'd be a little crazy to accept a photocopy. All it would take is for that image to show up on some website, and everybody who bought the new package would sign up for the rebate.
Old 09-25-08, 10:59 AM

The form requires the "proof of purchase" from the SD set, not the UPC. Problem is, there is no proof of purchase, and I sure as hell will not cut the UPC off the bottom of the SD set slipcase.
Old 09-25-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
I almost typed a response saying it was on there, but halfway through thought I'd better check.
I save every one of those goofy pieces of paper, and this one does NOT have the little "proof of purchase" blocks on it. UPC? yes. So if it asks for UPC, there's that...otherwise it's just standard back of dvd junk.
Was just going to say the same thing. I dug out the piece of paper attached to the box when I first bought it and there is only a UPC. Assuming they accept it, I wouldn't have a problem cutting that up and sending it in.
Old 09-25-08, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
No one EVER takes proof of purchase photocopies
Old 09-25-08, 05:30 PM
Banned

What's BD and SD ?
Old 09-25-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
What's BD and SD ?
BD - Blu-ray Disc

SD - Regular DVDs, Standard Definition
Old 09-25-08, 10:30 PM
gnn
Cool New Member

Does the coupon specify if it has to be bought in a B&M or Online store?
Do the Amazon ones come with the coupon?
Old 09-26-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by gnn
Does the coupon specify if it has to be bought in a B&M or Online store?
Do the Amazon ones come with the coupon?
The insert specifies that the store has to be in the same state you are. It doesn't specify B&M or online.

Yes the set from Amazon contains the insert.
Old 09-26-08, 02:25 PM

Is the insert specific a la Fox's DVD rebate offers -- where you have to supply a receipt for each proof-of-purchase submitted, or do you just need the receipt for the BD only?
Old 09-26-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow
The insert specifies that the store has to be in the same state you are. It doesn't specify B&M or online.

Yes the set from Amazon contains the insert.
I've never had an issue receiving rebates that have the "same state" statement, even though Amazon is not in my state.
Old 09-26-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I bet some bonehead decided on the rebate offer before even checking to see if the old set even HAD a proof-of-purchase thingy.

And the box is too nice to cut out the UPC for a measly $10.
Old 09-26-08, 08:02 PM

Thankfully I kept the insert from the DVD boxset that has the UPC code on it.
Old 11-03-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard that the version certain retailers sell dont include the rebate form. Is this true? If so, do BD sets shipped from DD include the rebate form? Im planning to order this sometime next week
Old 11-03-08, 01:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
BD - Blu-ray Disc

SD - Regular DVDs, Standard Definition
I thought it was decided to use BR for Blu-rays.
Originally Posted by TomOpus
And the box is too nice to cut out the UPC for a measly $10.
Really? You already have the BR set, the SD set sits on a shelf where no one can see the little 1" by 1" part taken off the box, if you even decide to keep the SD set, and the packaging is worth $10 to you?

How much would be worthwhile?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.