DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Wal-Mart HD-DVD

Old 07-29-08, 07:19 PM
Cool New Member

Wal-Mart HD-DVD

Wal-Mart here in Canada is obviously trying to get rid of their HD DVD's. They are 2 for $10.00 (HD DVD) in a cardboard bin (I almost missed them). I picked up Superman-The Movie, The Perfect Storm, Phantom of the Opera and The Last Samurai all for 20 bucks. They had harry Potters, V for Vendetta, T3, etc.

Only bought them because I have the Samsung Dual Player. Couldn't pass them up.
Old 07-29-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, nice find. Too bad I'm not in Ontario, I'd swing by my Wal-Mart Supercentre and look for a copy of V/Vendetta for myself.
Old 07-29-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found a stashed copy of Stardust here in Tulsa, OK and scanned it and it was still going for 29.99 or so. No thanks!
Old 07-29-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Walmart is a little fucking late to get rid of these. Jesus Christ, I'm getting tired of stores--and AMAZON--just sitting on their asses with these titles. If they don't hurry up, I'm calling it quits and just buying Blu-ray discs.
Old 07-30-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Don't give in. They want you to spend $30 on a blu-ray instead of getting the hd version for $5. Retailers have so many hd-dvds to get rid of. I'm just gonna wait it out. We'll see $5 Hd-dvds eventually.
Old 07-30-08, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Walmart is a little fucking late to get rid of these. Jesus Christ, I'm getting tired of stores--and AMAZON--just sitting on their asses with these titles. If they don't hurry up, I'm calling it quits and just buying Blu-ray discs.
The 21st century is fun, you'll get there someday.
Old 07-30-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Ouch.
Old 07-30-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yeah, but I don't play video games during the day. And I don't have a curfew or live with my mother.

However, I do look forward to my prehistoric BD50 Blu-ray purchase later this year.

Originally Posted by steebo777
Ouch.
Eh. I have some great HD DVD titles which were obtained for $6 or less. I guess when that happens for Blu-ray discs, the cows will come home. Or one particular cow, that is.
Old 07-31-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone willing to help a Californian out? I'll make it worth your while...PM me.
Old 08-01-08, 03:04 PM

WOW, thats a pretty damn good deal! My Wal-Mart finally got rid of all their HD DVDs and now just sells Blu-Ray.
Old 08-05-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in the Okanagan area of BC, Canada and popped into the local Wal-Mart and noticed the dump bin of HD-DVD's for 2/$10.

I don't own an HD-DVD machine but i bought a couple of the combo discs. They had
Ocean's 13, Michael Clayton, Music & Lyrics, Swordfish, V For Vendetta, Unforgiven, Phantom of the Opera, Perfect Storm, The Road Warrior, Lethal Weapon, Superman, TMNT, The Invasion, The Reaping, Last Samurai, A Scanner Darkly etc.

It makes for a nice souveneir of a obsolete format.

I think if Blu-Ray wants to make a real dent in the disc sales, the studios should release every new title ONLY in the combo format. This will makes for an easy transition for the both the consumers and the rental outlets as the price of the players come down.
Old 08-05-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There aren't any blu-ray combos. It's not in the spec.
Old 08-05-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...or if they can't come up with the double-sided combo disc, make it a double-disc set.

The average buyer is still reluctant to switch because Blu-Ray doesn't offer much more than the DVD other than a sharper picture and a much higher price tag.

Dumping VHS for DVD made sense; better picture, a movie on a CD-sized disc, extras, better sound, they don't wear out (when properly handled), no rewinding, has chapter stops etc.

Blu-Ray has a lot of work to do to be the dominate choice in the marketplace.
Old 08-05-08, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Anyone willing to help a Californian out? I'll make it worth your while...PM me.
Dude, you might as well just wait for Fry's to slash their prices to $5. Have you seen how many discs they've brought in? (Notably all the Canadian Universal product) They're just sitting there, and they'll have to slash prices again.

fitprod