The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

Old 06-02-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

^ Yes, they are worthless to me.

I am unable to find a single digital media item that can't be found elsewhere for less on any given day. I s'pose if you have Borders Bucks or gift cards to burn, they might be helpful. Otherwise, I just don't get their complete lack of interest in being competitive.
Old 06-02-10, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
Anyone else feel that Border's coupons are nearly worthless? I tried to use the recent 40% off and found absolutely nothing that I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere. That's the third straight time I've not used the 40 off. For those of you that do use them, what are you getting?
I mainly use them on books.....it usually knocks them down to a price similar to what you can get them for brand new on Amazon.
Old 06-02-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwstl
Anyone else feel that Border's coupons are nearly worthless? I tried to use the recent 40% off and found absolutely nothing that I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere. That's the third straight time I've not used the 40 off. For those of you that do use them, what are you getting?
They are great for books, particularly specialty books that are rarely discounted. I have purchased dozens of art books using these coupons.
Old 06-03-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by leitmotif
I mainly use them on books.....it usually knocks them down to a price similar to what you can get them for brand new on Amazon.
Or you could just order it from Amazon without having to wait for a coupon.
Old 06-03-10, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Or you could just order it from Amazon without having to wait for a coupon.
I never wait for coupons, if I want a particular book I usually just order it from Amazon. However, as an avid reader I enjoy using the coupons as an excuse to browse through the store and find something new to read that I might not have found using Amazon.

Also, I've been going to bookstores regularly my whole life and I enjoy the experience more than exclusively shopping online.
Old 06-05-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leitmotif
I never wait for coupons, if I want a particular book I usually just order it from Amazon. However, as an avid reader I enjoy using the coupons as an excuse to browse through the store and find something new to read that I might not have found using Amazon.

Also, I've been going to bookstores regularly my whole life and I enjoy the experience more than exclusively shopping online.
precisely. In fact, last night I went in with the 33% off coupon and a list of about 10 books to look for/choose from. carried a couple of those around for a while, then happened upon a new title I didn't know was even out and bought that instead. Never would have happened looking at amazon. As much as I do shop on-line, it can never fully replace the experience of wandering around a bookstore for 2 hours.
Old 06-09-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Free $10 gift card if you buy two $25 gift cards-

http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBM...id=SA_20100609
Old 06-09-10, 08:56 PM

Thought this might be of interest to someone, I picked up 1001 Classic Commercials at my local Borders tonight for 4.99(minus current 25% coupon)=3.74. They were part of a rack of 4.99 DVDs near the cash registers, and the price sticker actually says "Queue Line $4.99 Assorted".

The same title is 6.88 at the Deep Discount sale and 14.98(!) at Amazon. The reviews on Amazon were actually pretty good, 16 hours(!) of commercials, and each one is its own chapter, which means that you can easily skip the ones you don't want. Video quality is about what you would expect(i.e. variable and pretty bad in some spots).

http://www.amazon.com/1-001-Classic-...6134244&sr=8-1

I also saw "Game Show Moments Gone Bananas"($4.58 at Deep Discount) and "Nazi Hunters: The Real Story"($6.88 at Deep Discount). I'll stop by tomorrow to see what other titles there were. Using a coupon didn't seem to be a problem as they weren't on sale, per se.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Show-Mome...6134624&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Nazi-Hunters-R...6134878&sr=1-1
Old 06-09-10, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

Do you have to pay shipping?
Old 06-10-10, 12:26 PM
Zbu

Given the coupons I'm getting from Borders (and how deceptive they're being at making most of them 25% off and ignoring the 30-40% ones), I figure they should save themselves the time and just make the 25% off storewide.
Old 06-10-10, 02:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

Pretty good deal if you plan on future purchases from Borders. This effectively gives you 20% off on top of any coupons you use.
Old 06-10-10, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zbu
Given the coupons I'm getting from Borders (and how deceptive they're being at making most of them 25% off and ignoring the 30-40% ones), I figure they should save themselves the time and just make the 25% off storewide.
The coupon still sucks. You can get everything they have in their store much cheaper everywhere else without a coupon.
Old 06-10-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Do you have to pay shipping?
Not sure if they still do it, but over X-Mas, Borders was doing E-Gift Cards. You just print them at home and the digits that would normally be on the back of a regular Gift Card would be on your printout.
Old 06-11-10, 11:34 PM

Another 40% off coupon.

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/jw2...=SA_20100611_2

I used this to pre order MST3K Volume 18...it is 56.99 less 40% = 34.19 + tax. Also don't forget to check evreward.com for extra shopping portal rebates(seem to average around 4%).
Old 06-12-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
The coupon still sucks. You can get everything they have in their store much cheaper everywhere else without a coupon.
That's not true.
Old 06-12-10, 12:30 AM

Where are you seeing mass-market paperbacks at 25% off? Let alone 33 or 40% off? I haven't been able to find any site that does. Amazon NEVER discounts their standard paperbacks. What sites are you going too?

With the last 40% off coupon I found plenty of hardbacks, trade paperbacks and CDs cheaper (including tax) than Amazon.

I'm really curious. I would love to find a site offering 25% off and free shipping on mass-market paperbacks, let alone 33 or 40% off.

Last edited by Smorri; 06-12-10 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by illennium
That's not true.
Yes, it is.

Originally Posted by Smorri
Where are you seeing mass-market paperbacks at 25% off? Let alone 33 or 40% off? I haven't been able to find any site that does. Amazon NEVER discounts their standard paperbacks. What sites are you going too?

With the last 40% off coupon I found plenty of hardbacks, trade paperbacks and CDs cheaper (including tax) than Amazon.

I'm really curious. I would love to find a site offering 25% off and free shipping on mass-market paperbacks, let alone 33 or 40% off.
Just 3 examples from Amazon.com I just found by going to their Books section

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Serfdom-D...ZQFAP00VPQHYV8

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Dragon-Ta...ZQFAP00VPQHYV8

http://www.amazon.com/George-Washing...ZQFAP00VPQHYV8

Borders used to be a great company thanks to the variety of books, CDs and DVD they had. Now is like going to a ghost town with very limited inventory. I constantly purchased DVDs and graphic novels there, now there hardly DVDs and they have greatly reduced the stock of graphic novels. You can hardly find a Hardcover graphic novel there anymore.
Old 06-12-10, 06:44 PM

Yes, it is.

Borders used to be a great company thanks to the variety of books, CDs and DVD they had. Now is like going to a ghost town with very limited inventory. I constantly purchased DVDs and graphic novels there, now there hardly DVDs and they have greatly reduced the stock of graphic novels. You can hardly find a Hardcover graphic novel there anymore.
FYI none of those are mass market paperbacks. MM are the ones with smaller dimensions, usually a little cheaper paper, like what you find Stephen King paperbacks in. They usually MSRP for $8-10 and they aren't often discounted in online stores.
Old 06-12-10, 07:02 PM

None of those are mass market paperbacks (it'll say "mass market paperback" in the description). As I said, Amazon never discounts their mass market paperbacks . I picked up this(Amazon price: $7.99) for about $5 at Borders. That example holds for about every domestic mass market paperbacks on Amazon. If Borders has it in-store or online (their selection is 'decent' in-store and they have most mass market paperbacks in print, online), then its cheaper to buy it from Borders with even a basic 20% coupon. B&N gives a discount of usually 10%, which again Borders easily beats. So, I would still like to know what the site is that's giving you better deals than 33 - 40% off of mass market paperbacks? I would gladly switch.

As for Trade paperbacks (your examples), yes there are plenty of examples of large discounts like that. There are also plenty of examples of 15, 13, 10 or 5% off too. With the last 40% coupon I looked up 8 or 9 titles from my Amazon want list and found 4 titles that were significantly cheaper from Borders (using the coupon). I ended up getting this (Amazon price: $19.56) from Borders for $14 something (shipped to my house). Even with the 33% of coupon I can find trade paperbacks that are cheaper from Borders.

Back to the topic of this forum: Agreed, it is MUCH harder to find a deal on DVDs at Borders. I've found one or two and some have been posted in threads such as this one... but finding one is no easy task.

But ultimately, a blanket statement such as " You can get everything they have in their store much cheaper everywhere else without a coupon" is just not true.
Old 06-13-10, 01:58 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They actually are great for ordering out of print books and cd's on borders.com. I found a graphic novel that I couldn't find anywhere else and used the 40 percent coupon online a couple months ago for a great price.
Old 06-13-10, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by g
They actually are great for ordering out of print books and cd's on borders.com. I found a graphic novel that I couldn't find anywhere else and used the 40 percent coupon online a couple months ago for a great price.
Does that mean the coupons work on/in Border's Marketplace too?
That would be awesome!
Old 06-13-10, 03:05 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

No I don't think so. I bought Frank Miller's Sin city Library volume 1 which was out of stock almost everywhere, but Borders.com came up with it. so they fulfilled it with coupon for 90$. I've heard others have gotten out of print cd's from them as well.
Old 06-13-10, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by g
No I don't think so. I bought Frank Miller's Sin city Library volume 1 which was out of stock almost everywhere, but Borders.com came up with it. so they fulfilled it with coupon for 90$. I've heard others have gotten out of print cd's from them as well.
Ahhh... It was listed on Borders.com, not the marketplace. Damn, that would have been nice
Old 06-13-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Free Shipping Code--ISG7281H

I just used it with the 40% online coupon. Saved me a trip to the store.
Old 06-13-10, 08:59 PM

Does anyone know if the 40% coupon will be extended a day? I recall seeing and using a 40% coupon twice, and then getting an email the next day that it has been extended. I was then able to get a second item at 40 off. I hope that is the case this time!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.