DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New Oppo DV-981HD UpConvert DVD Players on Woot

Old 07-17-08, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Question about region free DVDs: I have a couple DVDs from the UK, and bought a cheapie DVD player at Target because you could make it region free. The UK discs play, but really poor quality (blurring, random stops). Is this to be expected? Or if I was to buy an Oppo, would they play just like they would if I bought them in the US, with no discernible downgrade in quality? Thanks.
I have maybe a dozen or so different Region 2 and Region 3 disks that I've used with my Oppo. They look fine and play just like Region 1 releases. The one thing I've noticed with import DVDs is the extremely wide variance in mastering quality. Some of the stuff (like Hong Kong Legends releases) are quite good. Others, primarily from Asia, are barely better than VCDs.
Old 07-17-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How does this player's upconverting ability compare to the Toshiba XA2's processing ability?

My guess is that that XA2 is even superior to the Oppo.
Old 07-17-08, 06:35 PM

I love my Oppo. One other amazing thing they do that I don't often see reported:

When a DVD starts up if you hit "start" and then "menu", most of the time it'll go right to the menu and bypass all of the "forced" warnings and logos.
Old 07-18-08, 01:59 PM

Mine arrived this morning. Thanks OP.
Old 07-18-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Question about region free DVDs: I have a couple DVDs from the UK, and bought a cheapie DVD player at Target because you could make it region free. The UK discs play, but really poor quality (blurring, random stops). Is this to be expected? Or if I was to buy an Oppo, would they play just like they would if I bought them in the US, with no discernible downgrade in quality? Thanks.
That's not at all normal in my experience with several region free players & tons of Pal discs.

Either:
1. Your DVD player is low quality or defective
or
2. You bought several poorly mastered discs.
Old 07-19-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine shipped the other day, but I just received the email with tracking today.
Old 07-19-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by David Levine
I love my Oppo. One other amazing thing they do that I don't often see reported:

When a DVD starts up if you hit "start" and then "menu", most of the time it'll go right to the menu and bypass all of the "forced" warnings and logos.
+1. I am also impressed with this kind of details Oppo added. Truly have user in mind.

received email my order is shipped.
Old 07-19-08, 01:02 PM
Cool New Member

How is the CD playing performance on the Oppo? I now have a Pioneer 563 and I find its CD playing to be a little thin sounding. Thx.
Old 07-19-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zyzzle
How does this player's upconverting ability compare to the Toshiba XA2's processing ability?

My guess is that that XA2 is even superior to the Oppo.
Well, you have to compare conveniences where the XA2 is certainly not convenient by any standard--just pick up the remote. I can't think of any convenience with the XA2 I own. But it probably is better in the image quality area over the 981. Probably not the 983 which was recently released.
Old 07-24-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got the Oppo a few days ago and connected it to my LCD via HDMI. I played some DVDs I copied and played some DVDs I purchased. According to the TV's information, the display is only 480p. What am I not doing correctly? How do I get the Oppo to send an HD signal to my TV? (I asked the same question in the DVD & Home Theater Gear forum).
Old 07-24-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
I just got the Oppo a few days ago and connected it to my LCD via HDMI. I played some DVDs I copied and played some DVDs I purchased. According to the TV's information, the display is only 480p. What am I not doing correctly? How do I get the Oppo to send an HD signal to my TV? (I asked the same question in the DVD & Home Theater Gear forum).
Cycle through the resolution option of the DVD player either thru the Remote or through options on the Video Menu of the player. I don't have this player but this is how its done on most. Hope this helps. Perhaps the factory setting is 480p
Old 07-24-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine arrived on Tuesday. Haven't had a chance to open it yet. Thanks again, OP!
Old 07-24-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
With the DVD stopped, Hit the HDMI button on the remote, till it's the resolution you want.
Old 07-24-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD's looked pretty darn good on the PS3. This certainly isn't any worse. I think it looks better than my old stand alone Sony upconverter, player. The menu system is awesome. Controls are better than on the PS3, since I don't have the remote.

The DVD's that looked great on the PS3 look great here and the ones that looked sucky, look sucky here too, such as Tomb Raider 1. SD DVD of course.
Old 07-24-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bigsierra
With the DVD stopped, Hit the HDMI button on the remote, till it's the resolution you want.
HA! such a simple thing and I overlooked it. All fixed.

Just an FYI, the DVD can't be playing as you mentioned.