Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Hot!!! B1G1 Offer on Criterion titles at DD (Starts 7/16 and ends 7/29)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hot!!! B1G1 Offer on Criterion titles at DD (Starts 7/16 and ends 7/29)

Old 07-18-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my Clean Slate in today. If I knew it was the Dana Carvey one, I would have passed.
Old 07-18-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I can dig it. So, what are the three you need? I'm assuming Salo is one of them.
My count was wrong it's actually 4.

W.C. Fields 6 Short Films - never got it and not part of this sale.
Good Morning - another one I never got cause I figured a re-issue would happen
Maitresse - again never got it and not part of this sale
The Killer - Please someone sell me a legit copy and not at an outrageous price!

I have Salo on pre-order so I'm not counting that. I'm not one of those people that collects the originals. I always get the updated versions and sell the oldies.

I hope I can continue the collection in Blu-ray.
Old 07-18-08, 07:41 PM

Bigger Criterion Sale in Store

For those that live in SoCal. DVDPlanet's 2 stores are having a buy one get one free criterion sale also. The great thing is that it is on all the titles and they are all 35% off. They have a store in Rancho Cucamonga and one in Huntington Beach.

Also....How is The RAN disc? and what does anyone know about The Furies?
Old 07-18-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaman
Well, all I can say EVERY 'better (or just as good) as Criterion" I have is region 1 bought in North America. (e.g. Spinal Tap, Hard Boiled, the Killer, The Lady Eve, My Man Godfrey (which can be bought for $5!), the Bank Dick, Sullivan's travels.etc. The list goes on and on. No- most of these don't have any supplements (if that is important to you) but for sheer PQ they are just as good if not better than Criterion...at a fraction of the price.
Wow I had no idea. Please send me or post a link to these titles available for a fraction of the price. Particularly Lady Eve, Godfrey, Bank Dick, and Sullivan's Travels. Or are you talking about VHS quality Public Domain titles? Hope not, I'm encouraged by your quote, "sheer PQ they are just as good if not better than Criterion". Would be good to save some dough! Sure all folks would like to get in on these great deals.

-beebs
Old 07-18-08, 08:16 PM

anybody here interested in my how to get ahead in advertising criterion collection (oop)? i'd be willing to trade it for thief of bagdad and the furies criterion collections. =)
Old 07-18-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

placed a smaller order of some older titles, most i have been thinking about getting for a bit.

The Red Balloon
White Mane
Clean, Shaven
Samurai Rebellion
Old 07-18-08, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Moviebuff909
Also....How is The RAN disc?
If you're a Kurosawa fan, or a fan of this film, absolutely get this disc. I loved the movie on the old Masterworks edition but was completely floored by how great it looked on the Criterion disc. A lot of good supplements too. Highly recommended. I was honestly surprised this wasn't one of the first Criterion Blu-ray discs, because it would be a perfect candidate.
Old 07-18-08, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by dpz301
placed a smaller order of some older titles, most i have been thinking about getting for a bit.

The Red Balloon
White Mane
Clean, Shaven
Samurai Rebellion
I'm hopeful that you actually placed two small orders, or you'll be paying $12.15 more than you should.
Old 07-18-08, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
My count was wrong it's actually 4.

W.C. Fields 6 Short Films - never got it and not part of this sale.
Good Morning - another one I never got cause I figured a re-issue would happen
Maitresse - again never got it and not part of this sale
The Killer - Please someone sell me a legit copy and not at an outrageous price!

I have Salo on pre-order so I'm not counting that. I'm not one of those people that collects the originals. I always get the updated versions and sell the oldies.

I hope I can continue the collection in Blu-ray.

Nicely done!

After placing a big order duing this sale I'm missing 25.
Old 07-18-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I've seen that $5 version of My Man Godfrey.

For starters, there's a damn logo for the distribution company in the bottom corner throughout the movie. And I'm not even going to get into the audio quality difference. It may not be worth the extra $11 to you, but I can't imagine paying a penny, nevermind $5, for that Reel Enterprises release.
ditto. my man godfrey by criterion is solid.
Old 07-19-08, 01:18 AM
Banned

For those that live in SoCal. DVDPlanet's 2 stores are having a buy one get one free criterion sale also. The great thing is that it is on all the titles and they are all 35% off. They have a store in Rancho Cucamonga and one in Huntington Beach.

Also....How is The RAN disc? and what does anyone know about The Furies?

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-19-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by NoirFan
See, I don't get this "complete collection" thing. What about films that have superior editions available elsewhere? Do you still buy the inferior versions, simply because they have a C on them?

Pro-B
Old 07-19-08, 02:02 AM

Too bad they don't have Repentance which I lost about a year ago when I moved. I'm happy they had 8 1/2, Spirit of Beehive, Ivan's Childhood, Viridiana, Naked, Wild Strawberries and Wages of Fear.

BTW, these last deals (Family Video used, Amazon up to 55% off foreign movies and this BOGO Criterion) left me broke. Any movie website willing to pay for reviews?
Old 07-19-08, 05:32 AM

and what does anyone know about The Furies?
I haven't seen the disc yet, it's on order... but you could always consult DVDTalk or DVDBeaver or whatever for detailed specifics on the quality of the disc/features/etc.

But if you're curious about the quality of the movie, I rather enjoyed it. Walter Huston in his dying role kinda steals the show, but Barbara Stanwyck gives an excellent performance that's part-femme fatale and part-heir to their ranch... so she balances a feminine and a masculine role. The movie has a bit of everything, it has a romance, elements of noir (femme fatale+dark ending+snappy dialogue throughout its first hour), western action sequences (climaxing in Walter Huston alone vs. well, you'll have to see ), and an interesting plot that deals with the greed of man, the jealousy of woman, and the vengeance of the dead. All-around, it's a solid movie.

DVDTalk gave it 5 stars out of 5 in the extras department. Says the DVD comes with a 36-page insert about the movie as well as the 268-page novel that served as the movie's source material, plus a quality commentary on the disc.
Old 07-19-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Filling some holes in my Criterion collection:

Pierrot Le Fou
Stranger Than Paradise
Mon Oncle Antoine
The Bicycle Thieves
Mishima
The Ice Storm

Amazing deal! ($16.18 per)
Old 07-19-08, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I got my Clean Slate in today. If I knew it was the Dana Carvey one, I would have passed.
Bastard. Everything I've ordered has shipped, except Clean Slate. Maybe Dana Carvey's family is buying them all up.
Old 07-19-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The movie is called Clean, Shaven.

Old 07-19-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist

Pro-B
Have any links for decent R1 replacements?

-beebs
Old 07-19-08, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The movie is called Clean, Shaven.

What? We're talking about "Coup de Torchon" which is listed as "Clean Slate" at DD. Someone asked (jokingly I hope) if anyone picked up Dana Carvey's Clean Slate. Obviously, Coup de Torchon doesn't have anything to do with Dana Carvey. That's the joke. If it was Clean, Shaven, the whole thing wouldn't have been funny.
Old 07-19-08, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by beebs
Wow I had no idea. Please send me or post a link to these titles available for a fraction of the price. Particularly Lady Eve, Godfrey, Bank Dick, and Sullivan's Travels. Or are you talking about VHS quality Public Domain titles? Hope not, I'm encouraged by your quote, "sheer PQ they are just as good if not better than Criterion". Would be good to save some dough! Sure all folks would like to get in on these great deals.

-beebs
Well, the Preston Sturges Collection does have very good transfers of Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels, as well as five other films. I paid about $30 for the set, so that's a good deal for those. Maybe not a fraction of a price, but good R1 releases that can be had pretty cheap.
Old 07-19-08, 01:12 PM

I went to DVD Planets In Store Criterion Sale and picked up Great Adaptations Boxed Set, 3 Films by Louille Malle Box Set, The Last Emporer, Mr. Arkadin, Fallen Idol, Ivan's Childhood, Third Man, and Mon Oncle. Total price out the door was.....$159.67 Including tax. Retail on these would have totalled $450. Great deal and it was better than DDD. I am thinking of getting Dazed and Confused, The Brazil Boxed set, 8 1/2, RAN, The Ice Storm, 400 Blows and F for Fake..... Any suggestions on some films that would blow me away?
Old 07-19-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by vcuram
What? We're talking about "Coup de Torchon" which is listed as "Clean Slate" at DD. Someone asked (jokingly I hope) if anyone picked up Dana Carvey's Clean Slate. Obviously, Coup de Torchon doesn't have anything to do with Dana Carvey. That's the joke. If it was Clean, Shaven, the whole thing wouldn't have been funny.
I see I obviously didn't get the joke.
Old 07-19-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My order for the Furies and the Ice Storm shipped on 7/15 and got it today 7/19. I think thats about the fastest I have ever gotten anything from DD.
Old 07-19-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by vcuram
Well, the Preston Sturges Collection does have very good transfers of Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels, as well as five other films. I paid about $30 for the set, so that's a good deal for those. Maybe not a fraction of a price, but good R1 releases that can be had pretty cheap.
I'm glad you posted that. So yeah, Sullivan's Travels, $7-8 barebones (but you have to buy 6 others at the same price). Or $16 for an SE (in this case a Criterion). I'm personally up for the extra eight or nine bucks but I do get something pretty nice for it. Tell you the truth, these Sturges films are so good, I'd pick up the Criterions and the box set including Unfaithfully Yours CC, for $12 in this sale, and not in the box set.

Also, same for Videodrome. $7ish barebones release right now... pony up nine more smackers here and get a 2-disc SE.

-beebs
Old 07-19-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I placed my order 7/14, it shipped 7/15, and it arrived today, 7/19. And this was with free shipping. Very pleased.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.