DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Hot!!! B1G1 Offer on Criterion titles at DD (Starts 7/16 and ends 7/29) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/535540-hot-b1g1-offer-criterion-titles-dd-starts-7-16-ends-7-29-a.html)

PopcornTreeCt 07-14-08 09:00 PM

Is it not coming out exactly B1G1 Free for anyone? I'm adding it up and the math doesn't work.

Small easy example:

The Thief of Bagdad - $32.36
Before the Rain - $32.36

by Brakhage - $32.39
Trouble in Paradise - $32.39

$32.36 + $32.39 = $64.75

Deep Discount says I owe $64.78

That's only 3 cents. But the more you add to your cart the wider the gap.

Kory 07-14-08 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is it not coming out exactly B1G1 Free for anyone? I'm adding it up and the math doesn't work.

Small easy example:

Before the Rain - $32.36

by Brakhage - $32.39

$32.36 + $32.39 = $64.75

Lol, it's because the more expensive titles are the ones you're paying for. You're getting the two $32.36 titles for free.

kefrank 07-14-08 09:12 PM

Small easy example:

Before the Rain - $32.36

by Brakhage - $32.39

$32.36 + $32.39 = $64.75

if you get four titles, they are going to charge you for the two most expensive and give you the other two for free. with your four, you have two priced at $32.39, so that's the ones that they will charge you for.

Numes 07-14-08 10:28 PM

I'm assuming Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro are the re-mastered versions?

ctyankee 07-14-08 10:34 PM

Small easy example:

Before the Rain - $32.36

by Brakhage - $32.39

$32.36 + $32.39 = $64.75

A classic post ... and all about 3 cents .... so funny.

I'll wait to see if Trafic gets added to the sale before ordering anything.

kenbuzz 07-14-08 11:01 PM

Thief of Bagdad
Richard III
Yojimbo
Sanjuro

$64.75 shipped

bsmith 07-14-08 11:25 PM

This Sporting Life
"M"
Brute Force
Furies

$64.75 shipped

Too bad I already picked up in the last sale:
Thief of Bagdad
Ace in the Hole

RequiemX 07-14-08 11:25 PM

1 HVD001963 DVD : THIRD MAN (CRITERION), THE $ 32.36 In-stock
1 HVD002027 DVD : THIEF OF BAGDAD (CRITERION) $ In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 32.36

wilky61 07-14-08 11:38 PM

Hmm, I need to watch The Wages of Fear, Videodrome, and The Killers asap and then decide which if any I want to buy.

Currently, I'm looking at Drunken Angel (the first and only Kurosawa CC I'd like to own) and The Lady Vanishes (to round out the set of five Hitch's)

alfonsosoriano 07-14-08 11:44 PM

The Wages of Fear, Videodrome, and The Killers are all definitely worth it!

NoirFan 07-15-08 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
The Wages of Fear, Videodrome, and The Killers are all definitely worth it!

Don't forget that The Killers is a double feature. The remake is obviously inferior to the classic original, but still worth a spin. Where else are you going to see Ronald Reagan play the bad guy? With a cast of John Cassavetes, Angie Dickenson, and Lee Marvin, Don Siegel's take is tacky, brash, and tremendous fun.

Cosmic Bus 07-15-08 12:35 AM

Picked up Night and the City, the Naked City, Two-Lane Blacktop and Robinson Crusoe On Mars in one order; Youth of the Beast and Fighting Elegy in another.

I want to get Blast of Silence since I was screwed out of a copy in the exchange forum a couple months ago, but can't find another same-price title to buy with it...

Mountain Biker 07-15-08 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by cinemaman
maybe I'm crazy. but why in the world would anybody want to spend money on SD Criterions that list for $40 when they have already announced they are going to re-release these same titles on Blu-ray HD for $40?? Am I missing something?

Are you missing something? Yeah, it's just too bad you don't know what it is -ohbfrank-

Picked up Videodrome & Two-Lane Blacktop

kk8 07-15-08 02:04 AM

Wish I'd have held off on the 20% sale but oh well,

BEAUTY & THE BEAST
IKIRU
PANDORA'S BOX
THIRD MAN
LADY VANISHES
M

$ 97.17

Mosskeeto 07-15-08 02:14 AM

Picked up Blast of Silence and Mafioso shortly after the code went live and now to sift through the next tier to see what else I want. Too bad Tati's Trafic isn't listed (yet), I read an interesting review of it recently that makes me want to pick up a copy.

Paul_SD 07-15-08 03:14 AM

Double Life Of Veronique
Threepenny Opera
The Lady Vanishes
The Naked Prey

$64.75

I was eyeing Veronique and Threepenny Opera right before the 20 off sale ended. Glad I held off. Wish I would have done the same with Thief Of Bagdad and Bad Timing...would have saved $8 more.

marty888 07-15-08 08:32 AM

Thankfully, the only Criterion I grabbed during the 20% off sales was <i>THIEF OF BAGDHAD</i>, and concentrated more on some TV shows and box sets.

I thought my financial condition was secure, but now <b></i>THIS!</i></b>

must be selective .....must be selective ....

kenbuzz 07-15-08 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by cinemaman
maybe I'm crazy. but why in the world would anybody want to spend money on SD Criterions that list for $40 when they have already announced they are going to re-release these same titles on Blu-ray HD for $40?? Am I missing something?

Speaking only for myself:

A - The $40 MSRP SD vs BR price comparision is apples to oranges. I don't care that the SDs list for $40 as I'm only paying $16+ for each. I fully expect the $40 BRs will retail in the $32-35 range, twice today's SD sale price.

B - The SDs are available now.

C - I don't have a BR player. I bought into the losing side of the HD format war, but now have over 100 inexpensive HD-DVD titles to watch (due to clearance sales) and a backup player (that upconverts to 1080i), so I won't be needing to adopt BR any time soon. I've got time to wait for hardware prices to get to the sub-$200 range, and I don't expect the CC BRs will drop in price until long after that happens.

So from my perspective, the ability to watch and enjoy a $16+ CC SD title today trumps the ability to purchase but NOT watch a much more expensive (and as of yet, unreleased) BR version of that same title.

Matthew Ackerly 07-15-08 08:59 AM

This is just a stupid argument because only a handful of titles will be available on Blu from Criterion. Not every spine number will suddenly be Blu in one month.

clckworang 07-15-08 09:07 AM

This is a really great deal, and I'm very tempted. I haven't bought any Criterions in a long time, just haven't had the money, but now that I have the money I have been focusing more on my relatively new Blu-ray collection. So as of right now, I think I'm going to hold off and start fresh on Criterion when they release their first Blu-ray titles, but we'll see later on tonight after I've had time to actually think about this deal some more. :lol:

kefrank 07-15-08 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
This is a really great deal, and I'm very tempted. I haven't bought any Criterions in a long time, just haven't had the money, but now that I have the money I have been focusing more on my relatively new Blu-ray collection. So as of right now, I think I'm going to hold off and start fresh on Criterion when they release their first Blu-ray titles, but we'll see later on tonight after I've had time to actually think about this deal some more. :lol:

i'm in pretty much the same boat. if i can muster the willpower, i will probably hold out for Blu-ray and skip this sale, but it will be difficult.

excom101 07-15-08 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
This is just a stupid argument because only a handful of titles will be available on Blu from Criterion. Not every spine number will suddenly be Blu in one month.

It'll take more than a decade if they're released at a rate of 3 per month.

moviehead21 07-15-08 11:05 AM

Wow ..... I am just getting into collecting criterions (dont have any yet, well accidentally found my Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is Criterion LOL) but I want to get Do the Right Thing and my second one would maybe be La Haine or F for Fake

Jacoby Ellsbury 07-15-08 11:14 AM

I didnt participate in this year's 20% off sale or the last one, but once again I spent a few bucks on their follow up sale, last year was the BOGO on simpsons seasons, now this criterion sale.
I spent about $250 on this, but as always they have those silly offers upon completion where you have to sign up for something and later cancel and you get $10-25 off your order.
Well they had a bizrate promotion where I fill out a survey and win up to $100 or whatever. I figured it was BS, which it basically was but it gave me an offer where I could pick up to 4 magazines for only $2 processing fee per subscription. I only chose 2 subs. Money magazine which usually cant be had for less than $9 for the year and entertainment weekly. So $4 for both those magazines for the year. Survey took about 1-2 minutes. Total time selecting and entering billing info about 5 minutes.
Im used to getting free magazine subscriptions, but Money Mag is never available and I think EW came and went quickly, so $2 each was a pretty good deal.
Also has anyone mentioned the 4% cashback at deepdiscount from that other site or is that not allowed as dvdtalk wants the referral links used?

cinemaman 07-15-08 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Speaking only for myself:

A - The $40 MSRP SD vs BR price comparision is apples to oranges. I don't care that the SDs list for $40 as I'm only paying $16+ for each. I fully expect the $40 BRs will retail in the $32-35 range, twice today's SD sale price.

B - The SDs are available now.

C - I don't have a BR player. I bought into the losing side of the HD format war, but now have over 100 inexpensive HD-DVD titles to watch (due to clearance sales) and a backup player (that upconverts to 1080i), so I won't be needing to adopt BR any time soon. I've got time to wait for hardware prices to get to the sub-$200 range, and I don't expect the CC BRs will drop in price until long after that happens.

So from my perspective, the ability to watch and enjoy a $16+ CC SD title today trumps the ability to purchase but NOT watch a much more expensive (and as of yet, unreleased) BR version of that same title.

KenBuzz - thank you. That was an intelligent and comprehensive answer. I just really hate to double dip anymore- so my 'knee jerk' reaction was to hold off until BR. But you make excellent points!