DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Ultimate Ed. Blu-Ray at Familyvideo.com for $8.34!!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/535280-texas-chainsaw-massacre-1974-ultimate-ed-blu-ray-familyvideo-com-%248-34-a.html)

stonecountry 07-10-08 09:33 AM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Ultimate Ed. Blu-Ray @ Familyvideo.com $8.34 (DEAD)

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=290462

It's a pre-order that doesn't come out until Sept. 30th. It's the original classic, and from what I can tell from other sites, it appears to be the Blu-ray upgrade of the most recent 2 Disc Ultimate Edition that came out in the steelbook a year or so ago. I'm not 100% certain what shipping is for a single item. It used to be 99 cents. I pre-ordered this with 3 used DVDs though, and it was only $1.99 shipping for all 4. They have apparently recently started charging tax though. Even with all that though, this is still THE best deal you're likely to find for this.

steebo777 07-10-08 09:44 AM

Now that is tempting.

zombeaner 07-10-08 09:47 AM

I don't even have a BD player yet, but this is a great deal and I plan to have one before the end of the year.

Edubble 07-10-08 09:47 AM

This seems like a great deal. Do you think it is price mistake, and if so will they honor it?

Sweet Baby James 07-10-08 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Edubble
This seems like a great deal. Do you think it is price mistake, and if so will they honor it?

It's definitely a price mistake since they have the list price marked as $15. I'm not sure how FV handles price mistakes, but be aware that FV charges your credit card at the time that you place the order. I've placed a few orders with them and found them to be a reliable etailer.

Funk 07-10-08 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by stonecountry
it appears to be the Blu-ray upgrade of the most recent 2 Disc Ultimate Edition that came out in the steelbook a year or so ago.

I wonder if they'll address the audio issues from the steelbook version...

Peep 07-10-08 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Funk
I wonder if they'll address the audio issues from the steelbook version...

What audio issue?

SkullOrchard 07-10-08 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
What audio issue?

A few missing audio elements, a scream was dropped, a hammer thud was missing. I've read that this problem has been corrected for the Blu-Ray release.

Double_Oh_7 07-10-08 10:54 AM

What the heck-gave it a shot.

clckworang 07-10-08 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
A few missing audio elements, a scream was dropped, a hammer thud was missing. I've read that this problem has been corrected for the Blu-Ray release.

Hooray! :)

Never bought the steelbook, how was the video quality?

kenbenobi 07-10-08 11:00 AM

Shipping is $1.99 for even one title. HOWEVER, use this FREE SHIPPING CODE:
GAMEPRO7

I just ordered it. $8.80 shipped. I don't own a BD player yet, but for this price, I'll get it...

Peep 07-10-08 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
GAMEPRO7

I just ordered it. $8.80 shipped. I don't own a BD player yet, but for this price, I'll get it...

Thanks for the code. In for 1 at $8.34.

Thanks for the explanation of the audio problems, SkullOrchard. I have yet to open my steelbook. I'll probably keep them both, if this offer doesn't get cancelled.

Abe. 07-10-08 11:38 AM

Ordered a copy as well. If they don't honor it, oh well :)

SkullOrchard 07-10-08 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Hooray! :)

Never bought the steelbook, how was the video quality?

Absolutely amazing.

steebo777 07-10-08 11:58 AM

Just ordered!

Subgeniusguy 07-10-08 12:15 PM

I'm in.

Torchur317 07-10-08 12:19 PM

I'm tempted but I still don't have a blu-ray player but that's cheap as hell....

steebo777 07-10-08 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I'm tempted but I still don't have a blu-ray player but that's cheap as hell....

I don't either, but what a phenomenal film to have as my first BR!

zombeaner 07-10-08 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Torchur317

What the hell, I did it.

rfduncan 07-10-08 12:52 PM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Halloween can't get here soon enough!

JackBurton 07-10-08 01:41 PM

Gave it a shot, thanks! $8.34 shipped.

Chad 07-10-08 01:42 PM

Thank you!

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
GAMEPRO7

And thank you!

For that price I'll overlook the fact that this version will be in the standard little ugly blue case instead of the beautiful steelbook the DVD edition received. (Why is that, BTW?) In fact, I'll most likely be putting this Blu-ray disc in that very steelbook because it deserves much better!

The Valeyard 07-10-08 02:11 PM

Thanks. I gave it a shot.

Darth Maher 07-10-08 02:13 PM

Man, that is tempting.

Can you still cancel the order if this ends up being a bare-bones release?

The Valeyard 07-10-08 02:45 PM

From Dark Sky:

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray Disc)

“… the Ultimate, the zenith, the most exhaustive possible celebration and dissection of this horror classic. I’d even wager that no one will be able to put out a better one in the next 10 years…" - Fangoria

It has been called “grisly,” “sick,” and “perverse," as well as “raw,” “unshakeable,” and “the movie that redefined horror.” It was attacked by churches, banned by governments, and acclaimed by only the bravest of critics. It stunned audiences worldwide and set a new standard in movie terror forever. In 1974, writer-producer-director Tobe Hooper unleashed this dark, visionary tale about a group of five young friends who face a nightmare of torment at the hands of a depraved Texas clan. Today it remains unequaled as a landmark of outlaw filmmaking and unparalleled in its impact as perhaps the most frightening motion picture ever made.

Special Features:

• Brand new featurette with actress Terri McMinn, created exclusively for this release.

• Feature-length commentaries with director Tobe Hooper, cinematographer Daniel Pearl, actors Gunnar Hansen, Marilyn Burns, Paul A. Partain, Allen Danzinger, and art director Robert A. Burns

• Featurettes “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: The Shocking Truth” and “Flesh Wounds”

• Theatrical trailers and TV and Radio spots

• A tour of the Texas Chain Saw Massacre House with Gunnar Hansen

• Deleted scenes and outtakes

• Blooper reel and still gallery