Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Ultimate Ed. Blu-Ray at Familyvideo.com for $8.34!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Ultimate Ed. Blu-Ray at Familyvideo.com for $8.34!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Sale!

Now if I could just find a good deal on a PS3...
Old 07-10-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in. $8.34 shipped. My DVDTalk account has now paid for itself!
Old 07-10-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in for one. may have a blu-ray player by then lol
Old 07-10-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

28 posts and nobody has commented on the irony of this particular title being sold on "familyvideo.com"? Well then.

Great deal for those interested. I, however, don't have a blu-ray player, and even if I did, I wouldn't want this movie in my collection. I'm surprised I even own the standard DVD (and I won't for long). It's not a bad movie or anything, but it just creeps the hell out of me. The remake (while utterly pointless) was scary in a different way (gorier), but this one is far more creepy and unsettling. These types of horror movies are definitely the most effective.

K
Old 07-10-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
28 posts and nobody has commented on the irony of this particular title being sold on "familyvideo.com"?
I've always found their name amusing, especially that time I ordered and received Emanuelle Around the World: XXX European Version.
Old 07-10-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Abe.
Ordered a copy as well. If they don't honor it, oh well
Exactly.
Old 07-10-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
28 posts and nobody has commented on the irony of this particular title being sold on "familyvideo.com"? Well then.

Great deal for those interested. I, however, don't have a blu-ray player, and even if I did, I wouldn't want this movie in my collection. I'm surprised I even own the standard DVD (and I won't for long). It's not a bad movie or anything, but it just creeps the hell out of me. The remake (while utterly pointless) was scary in a different way (gorier), but this one is far more creepy and unsettling. These types of horror movies are definitely the most effective.

K
I don't understand. Aren't those actually reasons to own this movie?

And I think everyone OD'd on the Family Video name in another thread where this was posted (I think the bargain thread in the HD forum).
Old 07-10-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
28 posts and nobody has commented on the irony of this particular title being sold on "familyvideo.com"?
TCM tells the story of a multi-generational close knit family living under one roof.

I fail to see your point.
Old 07-10-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I don't understand. Aren't those actually reasons to own this movie?
No. I actually prefer to sleep at night, when it's at all possible.

Originally Posted by clckworang
And I think everyone OD'd on the Family Video name in another thread where this was posted (I think the bargain thread in the HD forum).
Ah, didn't read that one since, as I mentioned, I don't have a blu-ray player.

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
TCM tells the story of a multi-generational close knit family living under one roof.

I fail to see your point.
You've got me there. I guess "family night" just isn't the same as it used to be.

Pa: Stop playing with your food, Jr.!
Jr.: I'm not, Pa. She's playing with me!
Grandpa: Goddamn I am creepy.

K

Last edited by Cornelius1047; 07-10-08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Ok, I'm in.

Since I never got around to picking up the "Ultimate Edition" and only have the old non-anamorphic special edition, this should make a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 07-10-08, 06:34 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
They charge in advance of shipping. I wonder how one contacts the credit card for a refund if familyvideo doesnt deliver as it doesnt ship until 9/30. (Many cards don't give that long to challenge a charge). I wonder why they can't charge on shipping like most others.
Old 07-10-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like that they charge immediately cause I usually use my paypal card for online purchases anyway, and if they wait to charge until that long I'll probably forget that I bought that and spend those funds elsewhere. I can understand why some folks wouldn't prefer that though. I've done a lot of dealings with Familyvideo.com and in-store at family videos before, and on the whole, I'd say they're the best of all the rental chains in terms of selling good condition titles for good prices and shipping promptly online too. Most of what I've gotten online used looks new, and the stuff that is new ships very quickly.

I don't think this is a price mistake since TCM is an older catalog title, and family video carries most of them for at least several dollars below what say someplace like amazon would carry them for in the $20 or so range. They also have random deals better than any other places from time to time, especially with new releases and pre-orders. I got the Hollywood Legends of Horror Collection a couple years ago when it first came out on there for like $14.98 new when it was selling routinely for twice that online everywhere else.

They've got some good deals on Blurays too, especially older catalog titles. They've got a lot of good titles in the $16-$17.xx range. Most of their catalog titles best amazon's best prices. Of course you have to factor in $1.99 shipping and tax, but if you were to order multiples in one order it'd be worth the while in many cases. The new Mummy and Mummy Returns, Twister, and even Batman Begins are all stuff in that $16-$17 price range.
Old 07-10-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, what the hell, I bought one, too. I don't have a BlueRay player, but figure I'll be getting one in the next 6-12 months and then I'll have something to watch on it.

Thanks, OP
Old 07-11-08, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

stonecountry:
Great find and thanks for letting us know.

Total: $9.05 with free shipping + tax.
Old 07-11-08, 04:29 AM

sweet. don't have a blu-ray player yet but i bought it anyway. reminds of when i bought scream on dvd when it first came out and i didn't have a dvd player yet either.
Old 07-11-08, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Shipping is $1.99 for even one title. HOWEVER, use this FREE SHIPPING CODE:
GAMEPRO7
Thanks for the code. I was tempted to order this a couple weeks ago, but I didn't want to pay shipping.
Old 07-11-08, 07:13 AM

First off thanks so much stonecountry for the heads up.

It is 16.99 pre order at Tower...19.95 at Amazon. Below is the Amazon link to check out.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Chainsaw.../dp/B001APM41C
Old 07-11-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toldawg128
Thanks for the code. I was tempted to order this a couple weeks ago, but I didn't want to pay shipping.
My pleasure! Yeah, I didnt want to pay for shipping either, so I was persistent in Googling for coupons. It took me a while to find one that worked, but it paid off...
Old 07-11-08, 09:29 AM

Pricegrabber lists a new $3 off code for new members: NEWMEM3F. Apparently it became active on July 8th. Does anyone know if it works?

Edit: I can't get it to work.

Last edited by drpie; 07-11-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecountry
I don't think this is a price mistake since TCM is an older catalog title, and family video carries most of them for at least several dollars below what say someplace like amazon would carry them for in the $20 or so range. They also have random deals better than any other places from time to time, especially with new releases and pre-orders. I got the Hollywood Legends of Horror Collection a couple years ago when it first came out on there for like $14.98 new when it was selling routinely for twice that online everywhere else.
This is exactly why after my similar research that I think you're wrong and it is actually a mistake:
Originally Posted by leahcim
It is 16.99 pre order at Tower...19.95 at Amazon. Below is the Amazon link to check out.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Chainsaw.../dp/B001APM41C
$8.34 is like 70% off of the $29.98 MSRP. So this has to be a pricing mistake. However if they charge you now, all they can do is cancel the orders. They can't go back and charge you more later.
Old 07-11-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
However if they charge you now, all they can do is cancel the orders. They can't go back and charge you more later.
Tell that to all the people who fought Amazon during last year's pricing-error debacle.
Old 07-11-08, 10:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Gave it a go. Still haven't bought my BluRay player, or HDTV.....
Old 07-11-08, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
This is exactly why after my similar research that I think you're wrong and it is actually a mistake:

$8.34 is like 70% off of the $29.98 MSRP. So this has to be a pricing mistake. However if they charge you now, all they can do is cancel the orders. They can't go back and charge you more later.
You know what's strange? Just for kicks I googled the UPC and found several other sites that had a MSRP of $15.00 too (bestprices.com, videoeta.com, myvideostore.com). Yet the big boys (Amazon, DDD, DVD Empire) list it for $29.99. I'm sure the $29.99 is correct, but it's strange that all the Mom & Pop online stores were all given the wrong list price...
Old 07-11-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whether it's a mistake or not, I think they'll probably honor it. Like I said before, family video has random deals like that from time to time just in their regular pricing of things. Hey, if it's getting a whole bunch more people to check out the site, that's good for business.
Old 07-11-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stonecountry
Whether it's a mistake or not, I think they'll probably honor it. Like I said before, family video has random deals like that from time to time just in their regular pricing of things. Hey, if it's getting a whole bunch more people to check out the site, that's good for business.
random deal price mistake

"I think Joe will let me sleep with his wife because he's always been nice about lending me money."

No. Joe will probably continue to be nice about lending you money. Sleeping with his wife is a completely different thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.