Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City PM this week yielding pretty good DVD deals

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit City PM this week yielding pretty good DVD deals

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so if this is way too obvious, or entirely unhelpful, don't bash on me too much.

I just wanted to remind people who are looking for deals on DVDs and such that both Best Buy and Circuit City do the 110% of the difference price-matching, (my best buy store tried to tell me otherwise and I showed it to them in their policy), and, though often it only equates to a $0.50 savings, sometimes it makes a big difference.

For instance, my sister loved The O.C., and she had seasons 1 and 2. I just bought her seasons 3 and 4 using CC to price-match Best Buy for 16.99 - 3.30 = 13.69 each!

The other day Kmart had a 2 for 14 dollars deal for some fairly new movies. I called and asked them if that meant it was 1 for 7 as well, and they said yes. I went to my Circuit City, which, as usual, is faithfully over-priced, and bought Spiderman 3 for 7.00 - 1.80 = 5.20.

Of course, I don't just go to save 1.80, but I've just started my DVD collection, and I usually buy about 5 movies a week, which allows me to buy a few more movies each week. I hope this at least helps somebody out there!

Of note this week: Best Buy has a bunch of previously high-priced movies like "live free or die hard" and quite a few others on sale for 7.99. (These were not listed in their ad) Due to CC's high prices and the price match, I bought 4 of the movies in this category for 6.59 to 6.79 (28 Weeks Later, The Namesake, Once, and Live Free or Die Hard).

Also, Kmart and Meijer (a midwestern supermarket chain) are having some pretty good DVD pricing as of late. Any chance of starting a thread for these stores?

Last edited by Indus85; 07-01-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 09:45 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the information Indus85!
Old 07-01-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Indus85
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so if this is way too obvious, or entirely unhelpful, don't bash on me too much.

Howdy!
Old 07-01-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, THANK YOU for the reminder. I might go pick up some X-Files season sets at Circuit City (price-matched to Best Buy) because of this.
Old 07-01-08, 05:09 PM

Seriously, what's up with everyone here? He said up front that the post may be too obvious, but it actually does serve a purpose. I can guarantee you that there are some people who don't think to do this on every purchase, and the savings DO add up. At least he's trying to help the board. Besides, there should be a rule that if you threadcrap without posting all the deals YOU contributed to the board, then it's an automatic ban.
Old 07-02-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Give the guy a break. He was just trying to help out. But your asinine comments will welcome more people to this forum I am sure of that.
Well said!

Even I was a newbie once.

Welcome to the Forum Indus85!
Old 07-02-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Threadcraps removed and posts edited. Use your brains people. Report a post instead of posting something stupid.
Old 07-02-08, 12:57 PM
Cool New Member

I am so glad you mentioned this. I had already picked up all of the seasons from Family Guy from Best Buy, and I was deciding what other shows to get. I might end up getting Futurama seasons from CC even though it is only a dollar difference, but hey! Or even The O.C. seasons, who knows!
Old 07-02-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I appreciate the headsup. I didn't know about this.
Old 07-02-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reminder I always forget about this.
Old 07-02-08, 01:25 PM
Cool New Member

I didn't know they price matched 110%, I thought it was only 100%. Thanks for the post, it will prove useful for me in the future.
Old 07-02-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For instance, my sister loved The O.C., and she had seasons 1 and 2. I just bought her seasons 3 and 4 using CC to price-match Best Buy for 16.99 - 3.30 = 13.69 each!
If its only 10%, I don't get how you save 3.30 each?
Old 07-02-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
As the OP stated, it's 110% of the price difference.

Is CC giving PMs to the $17 24 box sets at BB?
Old 07-02-08, 01:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
CC has season 3&4 of The OC at 49.98, so since CC price matches and beats the price by 10%, you...

49.98 - 16.99 = 32.99
32.99 * 10% = 3.29
16.99 - 3.29 = 13.7

Voila!
Old 07-02-08, 03:19 PM

I certainly haven't forgotten about doing this but the last 3 times I've tried it, Circuit City is out of stock or doesn't even carry the item. I mean, are the Addams Family season sets that obscure. In fact, I know they used to carry them because I bought one of the seasons there. That's just an example. The deluxe edition of Troy is another. It just seems like anytime I go in there, there's something quirky that prevents me from being able to price match.
Old 07-02-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the helpful post! I've always ended only getting 100% match when they press the price match key on their computer system. How do you tell the cashier to make it 110%? Does the cashier calculate it and than manually adjust?

Welcome Indus85!
Old 07-02-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by moklerman
I certainly haven't forgotten about doing this but the last 3 times I've tried it, Circuit City is out of stock or doesn't even carry the item. I mean, are the Addams Family season sets that obscure. In fact, I know they used to carry them because I bought one of the seasons there. That's just an example. The deluxe edition of Troy is another. It just seems like anytime I go in there, there's something quirky that prevents me from being able to price match.
The same thing happens to me whenever I go to either of the two closest CC stores.
Old 07-02-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought you had to present some kind of printed proof of the price, such as a weekly flier. What do you do with a title like Die Hard with a Vengeance that's not advertised at a sale price?
Old 07-02-08, 04:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Rules of bargain shopping that I learned from this site years ago.

#1 - Never buy a DVD where it is cheapest. Buy it at the place (that price matches) where it is most expensive.
Old 07-02-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
I thought you had to present some kind of printed proof of the price, such as a weekly flier. What do you do with a title like Die Hard with a Vengeance that's not advertised at a sale price?
If it's not advertised, it is YMMV, but CC is pretty relaxed in their pricematch policy from what I've seen. They might be willing to call to verify the price, or check the price on the web... They have done both for me in the past.
Old 07-02-08, 07:42 PM

I thought about doing this but looked at the sales flier and it specifically says 100% of the difference will be refunded for price match. However, it also says it is a 60 day policy. I know it used to be 110%/30 days so may be a YMMV if they have changed the policy.
Old 07-02-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
The CC here took down the 110% price match signs a few months ago. When they were up I had to point out to the clerk at the CS desk that it was 110% of the difference even for CC purchases. I was doing a PM against a CC purchase earlier in the week and they tried to tell me they only did 110% against competitors, which is not what the sign said at the time.

NOW, according to the CC web site , that has changed. The PM text for an item purchased from CC is:

"Q: Will Circuit City match its own prices?
A: Yes, if you purchase an item from us (in-store or on circuitcity.com) and we advertise the same item at a lower price within thirty days of your purchase, we will refund you 100% of the price difference. Bring the advertisement and your original sales receipt to your local Circuit City for the refund."

Sales from other local merchants is still 110%:

"Find a lower advertised price from another local store with the same item in stock, and we'll gladly beat their price by 10% of the difference."

The revised in-store PM policy makes me wonder if that was done in response to speedys' CC sale flyer information posts since those made it possible to purchase early from CC (while something was still in stock) and get 110% back during the sale week.

...and welcome to the forum Indus85!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-02-08 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 05:27 AM

I've always tried this. I know people complain about Circuit City a lot, but it's only because they have a poor Circuit City. I refuse to go to the older Circuit City because of their customer service, weird layout, and their ancient computers. But our newer Circuit City is pretty nice. I used to have no problem with the 110% match. The newer computers would do it automatically (unlike the ancient computers at the other Circuit City). However, you have to watch the cashier. I've had them, many times, ring it up as a price mistake (because it's the first option on the price change screen) instead of a price match. The first time or two, I didn't worry about it much because it was only a 20 or 30 cents difference (I just went there because Best Buy was on the other side of town), but if it's a major difference I would say something (especially now that we have a Best Buy across the street). Best Buy does 110%, but they will only do it at customer service, and I believe you have to purchase the item first, then bring it back to get the extra 10%.
Old 07-03-08, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
#1 - Never buy a DVD where it is cheapest. Buy it at the place (that price matches) where it is most expensive.
Meh. I also have to factor in extra time/gas going to a different store, reward zone points and whether or not a store has cute single cashiers.
Old 07-04-08, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh
Meh. I also have to factor in extra time/gas going to a different store, reward zone points and whether or not a store has cute single cashiers.
line of the day right there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.