Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City PM this week yielding pretty good DVD deals

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Rules of bargain shopping that I learned from this site years ago.

#1 - Never buy a DVD where it is cheapest. Buy it at the place (that price matches) where it is most expensive.
I fail to see how it makes a difference. If Best Buy advertises a DVD at 13.99, Target at 14.99, and Circuit City at 14.99, why would I go through the trouble of having to price match at Circuit City? Why not just get it at the retailer that rightfully deserves it for offering the best price? How does it benefit me at all to get it price matched?
Old 07-04-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
I fail to see how it makes a difference.
How does it benefit me at all to get it price matched?
The entire point of this thread is to remind people that pricematching adds an extra 10% of the price difference.
Old 07-04-08, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mnementh
The entire point of this thread is to remind people that pricematching adds an extra 10% of the price difference.
Before you try and be all clever, perhaps you should have read to what specifically my question was in regards. The OP is reminding us that Circuit City price matches 110%, something which other users have already said isn't always the case with their new policy. The user I quoted said that he learned to price match the lowest price at the store that sells it for the highest. Last time I checked, Best Buy doesn't price match for 110%, and I don't think Wal-Mart does either. So if Circuit City had it for the lowest, then why would I bother price matching it at Best Buy or Wal-Mart or any othe retailer that was selling it for more?

So my question, is not answered by the entire point of this thread.

Any other smart-ass comments?
Old 07-04-08, 04:33 AM

So if Circuit City had it for the lowest, then why would I bother price matching it at Best Buy or Wal-Mart or any othe retailer that was selling it for more?

So my question, is not answered by the entire point of this thread.

Best Buy does do the 110%, at least they've let me more than a few times.

The post was saying you should buy the dvd at CIRCUIT CITY if it is on sale at another store like wal-mart, best buy, etc. to get the 110% difference, not vice verse.
Old 07-04-08, 05:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
No need for the hostility, he was just answering your question.

CC does 110%, BB does 110%, and Walmart will "beat" the other price if you ask. Not sure about other retailers.
Old 07-04-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
No need for the hostility, he was just answering your question.

CC does 110%, BB does 110%, and Walmart will "beat" the other price if you ask. Not sure about other retailers.
Are you sure about that? I have never heard of the 110% deal at Best Buy.
Old 07-04-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SeymourGams
Best Buy does do the 110%, at least they've let me more than a few times.

The post was saying you should buy the dvd at CIRCUIT CITY if it is on sale at another store like wal-mart, best buy, etc. to get the 110% difference, not vice verse.
Trevor's post said you should buy it at the place that sells it for the highest and price matches the lowest. No mention of store specificity there. So what I am asking is why does it matter to price match it where it is highest? If Target has something for $13.99, and Circuit City has it for $14.99 and Best Buy has it for $15.99, why does it matter if I price match it at Best Buy over Circuit City?
Old 07-04-08, 11:33 AM

Trevor's post said you should buy it at the place that sells it for the highest and price matches the lowest. No mention of store specificity there. So what I am asking is why does it matter to price match it where it is highest? If Target has something for $13.99, and Circuit City has it for $14.99 and Best Buy has it for $15.99, why does it matter if I price match it at Best Buy over Circuit City?
Because both places give you 110% of the difference...

PMing Target at CC:
Difference = 14.99-13.99 = $1.00
110% of difference = 1.1 * $1.00 = $1.10
Final Price (pretax) = 14.99-1.10 = $13.89

PMing Target at Best Buy:
Difference = 15.99-13.99 = $2.00
110% of difference = 1.1 * $2.00 = $2.20
Final Price (pretax) = 15.99-2.20 = $13.79

So... because you save more money. That's why.
Old 07-04-08, 11:36 AM

Are you sure about that? I have never heard of the 110% deal at Best Buy.
And yes... it's right here. Sad thing is, most of their customer service reps pretend that they haven't heard of it either...
Old 07-04-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by excom101
Because both places give you 110% of the difference...

PMing Target at CC:
Difference = 14.99-13.99 = $1.00
110% of difference = 1.1 * $1.00 = $1.10
Final Price (pretax) = 14.99-1.10 = $13.89

PMing Target at Best Buy:
Difference = 15.99-13.99 = $2.00
110% of difference = 1.1 * $2.00 = $2.20
Final Price (pretax) = 15.99-2.20 = $13.79

You have to really factor in whether it's worth it. .10 is not worth the hassle of having to fight with CSR for it.

HOWEVER, right before Thanksgiving there were a bunch of TV sets that were 14.99 at Target and BB. They were around 40-50 at CC. CC matched the prices and I got 3-4 off the 14.99 TV sets. This still may not be worth some people's trouble. You just have to weigh in the hassle and time.
Old 07-04-08, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by excom101
Exactly.

And please, before someone posts it again, of course no one is advocating driving all over Creation or making separate trips to save 10 cents.

But since we all have access to prices and ads before we go shopping, it is very easy to figure out where something is really cheapest.

Obviously, ten cents isn't much, but it does add up. And the main purpose of price-matching is when (for example) CC has something on sale for $15 and BB still has it at $50. This saves you $3.50 (plus tax) by buying it at BB, where it is priced the highest.
Old 07-04-08, 11:49 AM

One thing to note is that you only get the extra 10% at best buy if you price match AFTER you purchase. At the register they only price match to 100%--I was told at register I needed to buy at full price and price match at customer service if I wanted the extra 10%.
Old 07-04-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

lol I guess I was looking too much into it. I knew it would be a small difference, but I thought there might have been more to it, like trying to cheat the retailer or something. And I'm glad I know that Best Buy is supposed to price match 110%, because I had never heard of that until this thread.
Old 07-04-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The method I use (and have posted here) works like this:

1. Scope out speedy1961's posts to see what's coming on sale at CC/Target/wherever in the upcoming weeks I want.

B. Go to Beast Buy immediately and buy if from them because I'll get Reward Zone points.

3. When the sale papers hit, go back to BB and get my 110%, yo!!!

4. PROFIT!

Now, I've got one factor that makes this super-duper convenient for me: I work within a quarter-mile of a Wal-Mart, Office Max, Office Depot, Border's, Circuit City, Beast Buy, Gamestop, and Target. I can see all of these stores if I look out the window, so gas costs aren't a factor. With gas over $4/gal., if your ride gets 20 mpg and you have to drive 10 miles round-trip to the store, you'd better be getting more than two bucks in savings. (That 10 cent example was madness! Spend five dollars to save ten cents?!?)

Last Christmas, Target was going to sell Heroes S1 for $19, so I went to BB and bought it for $50 and then went back to get my $34.10 (plus tax) refund. If you just bring in the ad to match, they typically just give you the match and not the 10% vig. Sure, you can fight over it, but why?
Old 07-04-08, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
(That 10 cent example was madness! Spend five dollars to save ten cents?!?)
Just to clarify, I don't think anyone would actually make a separate trip to save ten cents, or advocate someone else to do so.

But if you're going to that shopping complex anyway, or drive by it in your normal routine, you might as well make use of the extra 10%.

Personally, I only bother with the 10% extra when it's a over a buck, and I'm at that store anyway.
Old 07-04-08, 04:59 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
For a minute here I thought I was back in one of the old "What's your cost-per-dvd average?" threads from way back in 2001.

Carry on...
Old 07-07-08, 12:04 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by kyle
One thing to note is that you only get the extra 10% at best buy if you price match AFTER you purchase. At the register they only price match to 100%--I was told at register I needed to buy at full price and price match at customer service if I wanted the extra 10%.
Exactly. You need to read the whole policy.
Old 07-07-08, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
The method I use (and have posted here) works like this:

1. Scope out speedy1961's posts to see what's coming on sale at CC/Target/wherever in the upcoming weeks I want.

B. Go to Beast Buy immediately and buy if from them because I'll get Reward Zone points.

3. When the sale papers hit, go back to BB and get my 110%, yo!!!

4. PROFIT!
Surely BestBuy correspondingly reduce your reward zone points when they refund you 110% of the difference??
Old 07-17-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to belatedly thank the OP. I live about 40 minutes from 3 different Best Buys and 2 Circuit City stores. In other words, it's not an all day thing, but it's far enough away not to make it something I would do just to buy a few movies on special. Fortunately, I have to go to those stores every other week for a part-time job, but that always left me missing out on two weeks of possible deals. Well, a Circuit City has FINALLY opened up in my town a couple of weeks ago. And because I remembered this thread, I realized that I can now take advantage of the deals on those off weeks because of Circuit City's price-matching policy.
Old 07-17-08, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MickM
Surely BestBuy correspondingly reduce your reward zone points when they refund you 110% of the difference??

Yes, but the NET counts towards Reward Points which add up ... eventually.
Old 07-17-08, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to belatedly thank the OP. I live about 40 minutes from 3 different Best Buys and 2 Circuit City stores. In other words, it's not an all day thing, but it's far enough away not to make it something I would do just to buy a few movies on special. Fortunately, I have to go to those stores every other week for a part-time job, but that always left me missing out on two weeks of possible deals. Well, a Circuit City has FINALLY opened up in my town a couple of weeks ago. And because I remembered this thread, I realized that I can now take advantage of the deals on those off weeks because of Circuit City's price-matching policy.
To tell you the truth, I hadn't been to DVDtalk for a couple of weeks after my post received such a negative response. (I used to check every other day or so). You're extremely welcome, and I'm glad I could help. I'd also like to say thanks to everyone else who didn't bombard me w/ sarcasm, and negativity. Hopefully I'll have something less controversial to say next time I post...
Old 07-17-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Indus85
To tell you the truth, I hadn't been to DVDtalk for a couple of weeks after my post received such a negative response. (I used to check every other day or so). You're extremely welcome, and I'm glad I could help. I'd also like to say thanks to everyone else who didn't bombard me w/ sarcasm, and negativity. Hopefully I'll have something less controversial to say next time I post...
Don't sweat it, brother. 99% of us here enjoy our time here and like to have occasional fun in the posting board. Once the ball starts rolling on sarcastic remarks it has a tendency to start rolling faster and faster because we're just having fun (see the world famous "FAIL" thread for examples). Don't take it personally and if my remark offended you or anyone it was meant with a grin and I am sorry.
Old 07-20-08, 01:04 AM

Maybe I should let this thread die, but for some reason, I don't think of PMing right away 'cause it usually yields such a small saving, but when the idea hits me at the right time, it can be a great thing.

Cases in Point:

I just bought Die Hards 1-3 and Daredevil Director's cut for $2.90 each because they're each selling for 15 dollars at CC and 4 dollars at wal-mart.

This was too sweet for me not to share. Hope someone appreciates it.

(They did, of course, call my wal-mart to see if they had them in stock, and ended up having to call both of the local ones before agreeing to the prices for Die hards 2, and 3)