DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

Tyga24 07-02-08 05:46 AM

Being a fan of 24 I was glad to get in on this deal. I bought some of the other sets at Target during Black Friday a few years ago and they are still sealed because I haven't had any time to watch them again. Now I'm wondering is there any difference between the large original sets and the slim repackaged ones? Which versions should I keep for my personal collection and which should I give to a friend that hasn't watched it yet.

Snowmaker 07-02-08 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tyga24
Now I'm wondering is there any difference between the large original sets and the slim repackaged ones? Which versions should I keep for my personal collection and which should I give to a friend that hasn't watched it yet.

Content-wise, no difference. You just save about 1/2 the shelf space, which is the only reason I tried to get in on this deal. I hate those fat fold-out digipaks.

MovieExchange 07-02-08 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tyga24
Now I'm wondering is there any difference between the large original sets and the slim repackaged ones? Which versions should I keep for my personal collection and which should I give to a friend that hasn't watched it yet.

The discs are the exact same. I opened up the new season 1 to check it out, and it's the same 6 discs that were in the original release, and a new 7th disc.

bigjim25 07-02-08 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
The discs are the exact same. I opened up the new season 1 to check it out, and it's the same 6 discs that were in the original release, and a new 7th disc.

With a few more bonuses. Included on the pilot episode on the first disc is a commentary track from director Stephen Hopkins and director of photography Peter Levy. On the season finale on the sixth disc, is a commentary track from actress Leslie Hope and director Hopkins.

Ianscloset 07-02-08 10:21 AM

Here is an update for some BBs in AZ (as of yesterday):

Tucson (Broadway & 1st) - 1 Copy of S1:SE, 2 Copies of S2, 1 Copy of S6
Casa Grande - Multiple Copies of S2 and S3
Tempe (Chandler and I-10) - No Copies of S1:SE
Tempe (Chandler and 101) - No Copies of S1:SE
Tempe (Rio Salado and McClintock) - No Copies of S1:SE

I spent all day yesterday going from store to store (in 3 different cities no less!) and could not find any store that had ALL 6 seasons. I ended up buying a S1:SE at the Chandler and 101 store (which was returned with the $15 off coupon missing, leading me to believe someone bought all 6 seasons and returned the most expensive) and taking it to the Rio Salado store to return (the had Season 2-6), and then rebuy. However, the deal didn't go through automatically so the guy in CS had to call over the MOD, who of course said since the seasons were on SALE for $16.99 that meant they were a special offer/ coupon (which the coupon clearly says it can't be combined with). I just told him thanks and bought S1:SE only to no seem like a total dick.

It was worth a shot but I am so burned out on BB's right now that I am just gonna forget about this deal and ponder whatever the next screw-up BB has in its future (and all the ones they have already had in the past)!

Good luck to everyone still trying though!!!

dsskid 07-02-08 10:43 AM

Does anyone know if CC is matching Bestbuy's sale price of $16.99, and has anyone tried stacking the $15 discount at CC?

Snowmaker 07-02-08 11:06 AM

Madison Heights, MI Best Buy had restocked every season this morning except season 1 SE. The system still showed most Michigan stores still had 0 copies as well.

Thanh 07-02-08 11:06 AM

CC will probably only let you do one (either price match or use the $15 discount). It would depend on the manager on duty. My local CCs are very picky about combining offers, etc.

DirkBelig 07-02-08 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Not only does Best Buy participate in shady consumer marketing tactics

Then shop elsewhere if you're convinced they're so crooked.

they are ripe for class action lawsuits which will allege purposeful misconduct on sales to entice customers to set foot in their store.

Again with the lawsuits. OVER A FRAKKING TV SHOW DVD!!!

This is a form of a Bait & Switch scheme.

No, it isn't.

In retail sales, a bait and switch is a form of fraud in which the party putting forth the fraud lures in customers by advertising a product or service at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute is. The goal of the bait-and-switch is to convince some buyers to purchase the substitute good as a means of avoiding disappointment over not getting the bait, or as a way to recover sunk costs expended to try to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or product advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product.

Beast Buy is advertising 24 season sets for $17. If you "flock to the store" to buy 24, you can have whichever one you want for $17. They aren't advertising sets for $2 and then telling you, "Sorry, that will be $17. Gotcha!!!" If you didn't know about the on-pack coupon, then how exactly are they being "shady" or running a "bait-and-switch"? A: They aren't.

It's funny about how people routinely slag BB drones as being too stupid to dress themselves and that they accidentally drive to Circuit City because they got confused as to where they work only to spin around and state that every single one of them should be plugged into the Borg Collective Intrastore Network and know exactly what each other is doing and to do the same. HA! How convenient! [/Church Lady voice]

I once tried to buy an advertised U2 concert DVD from BB that came in one and two-disc versions. Can't remember the specifics, but lets say that they normally sold for $20 and $30 respectively and the sale price was $13 and - this is key - the circular said TWO DISCS. When they rang it up, it scanned at $30. "That's supposed to be $13. It's in the ad.", I said. Drone looks at the ad and calls a higher-level drone over and they decide it's not the same item. Huh? WTF?!? It's got the same cover art and says TWO DISCS, how isn't it the same item. They refused to budge.

Did I cry? Did I call a lawyer or the BBB? Did I post a thousand words of aggrieved emo whining about the injustice of it all? No. I took the ad to CC and they matched it without a peep. I'm always taking competitor ads to BB and making them match it and I've made pre-buying stuff that speedy1961 has posted will be on sale in a week or two and then going back to get 110% of the difference back - I think Heroes S1 was ~$17 OTD when I popped them with Target's $19 sale paper - into an art form. Don't get mad. GET EVEN! Don't whine. Just wait for the next deal to come. Yes, this was an awesome deal for those who got it, but not getting it isn't like going hungry or getting cancer.

chard31 07-02-08 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dsskid
Does anyone know if CC is matching Bestbuy's sale price of $16.99, and has anyone tried stacking the $15 discount at CC?

Yes, CC is honoring the $16.99 price plus 10% off the difference between their sale price of $24.99 but the tin I bought did NOT have the coupon on it so I am going to return it to CC today...

y0girlg0tskillz 07-02-08 12:15 PM

Personally, I work for Best Buy, and damn, this was a good deal! I saw the post on the other thread about this after I got back from work on Sunday, and when I came into work on Monday, lo' and behold, we were out of the 24 seasons except for the 6th season. I checked the system, no SE S1 tins are available in the area.

For myself, I am getting a raincheck for the seasons and waiting it out until they restock, and then taking the deal.

As for the people who are saying that "Best Buy is being shady", it really just depends on the manager you get. At my store, if you get the right manager, or even if the employee gets the right manager, you can get a hell of a deal out of them if you have an issue that is legit. This issue is legit. However, Best Buy also has this policy of "no double-dipping," which basically means that a customer can only pick one over the other, in this case, the $16 dollar sets or waiting until they go back to regular price to use the $15 coupons. Like I said though, some managers will let it slide, and some will not budge about it. It definitely is a YMMV thing, and to whoever said that "All Best Buy managers are trained to give customers their worst experience" or something to that extent, open your eyes, it is a business.

As for me, I already talked to my manager about it and he is completely on board with the coupon stacking on top of the sale, even he might get in on the deal when we re-stock.

loser09 07-02-08 12:42 PM

The on-package coupon has been disabled in their system until July 6th. I just tried getting this deal and the coupon rang up at a $0 discount. I spoke with a Manager and they printed me a copy of an internal memo stating the coupon is not valid with the sale price and that it is deactivated until the 6th. There were several replies on the memo, one of them complaining they had already honored it with a manual override several times.

There was another reply that mentioned this specific thread as the source of most of the attempts to use the coupon.

movieguru 07-02-08 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by y0girlg0tskillz
Personally, I work for Best Buy, and damn, this was a good deal! I saw the post on the other thread about this after I got back from work on Sunday, and when I came into work on Monday, lo' and behold, we were out of the 24 seasons except for the 6th season. I checked the system, no SE S1 tins are available in the area.

For myself, I am getting a raincheck for the seasons and waiting it out until they restock, and then taking the deal.

As for the people who are saying that "Best Buy is being shady", it really just depends on the manager you get. At my store, if you get the right manager, or even if the employee gets the right manager, you can get a hell of a deal out of them if you have an issue that is legit. This issue is legit. However, Best Buy also has this policy of "no double-dipping," which basically means that a customer can only pick one over the other, in this case, the $16 dollar sets or waiting until they go back to regular price to use the $15 coupons. Like I said though, some managers will let it slide, and some will not budge about it. It definitely is a YMMV thing, and to whoever said that "All Best Buy managers are trained to give customers their worst experience" or something to that extent, open your eyes, it is a business.

As for me, I already talked to my manager about it and he is completely on board with the coupon stacking on top of the sale, even he might get in on the deal when we re-stock.

Just curious. Does Best Buy have a manufacturer coupon policy posted in their stores or online? If they do, does it state that manufacturer coupons cannot be used with sale items?

While I never noticed any signs in the store I went in; another poster said that the store he was in had signs that said "save $15 each on seasons 2-6 with coupon when ypu buy season one LE". I don't see how Best Buy can back out of that after the customer is at the register ready to pay.

y0girlg0tskillz 07-02-08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru
Just curious. Does Best Buy have a manufacturer coupon policy posted in their stores or online? If they do, does it state that manufacturer coupons cannot be used with sale items?

While I never noticed any signs in the store I went in; another poster said that the store he was in had signs that said "save $15 each on seasons 2-6 with coupon when ypu buy season one LE". I don't see how Best Buy can back out of that after the customer is at the register ready to pay.

Not that I know of, but we usually do take all manufacturer coupons anyway. As for the sign, like I said, it a ymmv thing. That store probably did not take the sign down before the sale, which means they're pretty much just asking for trouble. That does happen, though. Some signs from previous week's ads are left on and forgot about, and when a customer comes in and sees it, our store has to honor that price since someone didn't do their job and did not take off the sign.

budster7 07-02-08 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by loser09
The on-package coupon has been disabled in their system until July 6th. I just tried getting this deal and the coupon rang up at a $0 discount. I spoke with a Manager and they printed me a copy of an internal memo stating the coupon is not valid with the sale price and that it is deactivated until the 6th. There were several replies on the memo, one of them complaining they had already honored it with a manual override several times.

There was another reply that mentioned this specific thread as the source of most of the attempts to use the coupon.

Can you post a scan of this memo? I'm sure we would all be interested in reading it.

paaron46 07-02-08 01:05 PM

So I guess this deal isn't dead everywhere. I went into my local best buy because I wasn't able to get seasons 4 & 5 last week because they were sold out.

They had on SE 1 tin left, so I picked it up and it still had the coupon. I picked up season 4 & 5 and went to the register. The lady was really nice and rang everything up and it came to 54.31$. I asked her if she was going to scan the coupon, and she said, "Oh sure." So she entered the coupon in after the total and took off 45 bucks. I got SE 1, 4 & 5 for $9.31. :)

drmoze 07-02-08 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by y0girlg0tskillz
Not that I know of, but we usually do take all manufacturer coupons anyway. As for the sign, like I said, it a ymmv thing. That store probably did not take the sign down before the sale, which means they're pretty much just asking for trouble. That does happen, though. Some signs from previous week's ads are left on and forgot about, and when a customer comes in and sees it, our store has to honor that price since someone didn't do their job and did not take off the sign.

That's the issue I have with their actions. They have a BB sale on box sets which is completely independent of the manufacturer's coupon. Yet they want to temporarily "disable" the third-party coupon during their sale. Why? It doesn't cost BB anything extra.

i will give it a shot when the various seasons are re-stocked, and hope for a kind manager who will override.

Originally Posted by paaron46
They had on SE 1 tin left, so I picked it up and it still had the coupon. I picked up season 4 & 5 and went to the register. The lady was really nice and rang everything up and it came to 54.31$. I asked her if she was going to scan the coupon, and she said, "Oh sure." So she entered the coupon in after the total and took off 45 bucks. I got SE 1, 4 & 5 for $9.31. :)

They took $15 off season 1 too? :lol: Maybe there's hope yet.

Snowmaker 07-02-08 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by paaron46
So I guess this deal isn't dead everywhere. I went into my local best buy because I wasn't able to get seasons 4 & 5 last week because they were sold out.

So you got the $15 off the season 1 SE too? That's a first.

paaron46 07-02-08 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
So you got the $15 off the season 1 SE too? That's a first.

Uh huh.

y0girlg0tskillz 07-02-08 01:11 PM

"Usually" is the key word, but it is true that this is a very legit and real deal. It is probably just that the big suits at Best Buy are going by the "double dipping" rule. Its either the sale or the coupon off the regular price.

runner001 07-02-08 02:05 PM

Just got back from my local BB (Middletown, NY) and they had a sign up saying the $15 coupon is disabled. Oh well.

loser09 07-02-08 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by budster7
Can you post a scan of this memo? I'm sure we would all be interested in reading it.

[img=http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/397/scanbbwe7.th.jpg]

Snowmaker 07-02-08 02:15 PM

What a bunch of whiners. :lol:

tonyc3742 07-02-08 02:16 PM

Nice. Yes, damn those dishonest customers. I'll admit some customers are only a hair's breadth from shoplifters, but using THEIR coupon on THEIR prices that THEIR computers accept is not the same thing.
(oh yeah, I didn't get in on this.)
Who wants to bet that as of yesterday or the day before there's a big box of 24 s1 with coupons in the back saying "Do not put these out!", if they even still have the coupons on them.

.unholy 07-02-08 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Who wants to bet that as of yesterday or the day before there's a big box of 24 s1 with coupons in the back saying "Do not put these out!", if they even still have the coupons on them.

No need to bet. Someone over at CheapAssGamer reported that a BB employee admitted they had received explicit instructions not to restock S1:SE until 7/6.