DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

DVDsAreMyLIFE 07-01-08 04:25 PM

For anyone in the Milwaukee, WI area. Here is an update of the info I got as of July 1st.

-Menomonee Falls Best Buy - refused to honor the deal
-Mayfair Best Buy - Sold out of Season 1 Special Edition and most of the regular seasons
-Bluemound Best Buy - Sold out of Season 1 Special Edition as of July 1st (got the last one), Deal worked here.
-Brown Deer Best Buy - Sold out of Season 1 Special Edition (said they won't be getting anymore in this week)
-76th Best Buy - Sold out of Season 1 Special Edition as of July 1st (appeared to get the last one as well), Deal worked here.

Haven't tried the Fox Point Best Buy.

laskuh 07-01-08 04:39 PM

no-go at the kalamazoo (portage), mi best buy. manager refused to honor the deal since the coupon said it was not valid with any other coupons or offers.

oh well. cant blame 'em, though im not sure what theyre losing if they DO honor it (its a manufacturers coupon, which means they just get reimbursed for the $75).

tommyp007 07-01-08 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by das1330
When you live in the sticks of rural north carolina, yep. I have the same distance from a target, American Eagle, Red Lobster etc. Just Walmart and kmart and big lots here.

Curious...where exactly are you. I'm from the rural sticks of NC myself. Always interested in finding someone else here who is from WNC.

alfredog1976 07-01-08 04:45 PM

For those just wanting Season 1 SE, try price matching it at your local CC. I PM'ed it there with no problems.

kenbenobi 07-01-08 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
For anyone in the Milwaukee, WI area. Here is an update of the info I got as of July 1st.

-76th Best Buy - Sold out of Season 1 Special Edition as of July 1st (appeared to get the last one as well), Deal worked here.

HUH? That's where I was refused at 1pm today. They had 2 copies left when I was there. Cashier wouldn't do it. Mgr Jimmy wouldn't do it, and GM Chris wouldn't do it...

DVDsAreMyLIFE 07-01-08 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
HUH? That's where I was refused at 1pm today. They had 2 copies left when I was there. Cashier wouldn't do it. Mgr Jimmy wouldn't do it, and GM Chris wouldn't do it...

Weird, at about 3pm today my brother went there to pick up a copy (plus season 2-6) for me. He said he had about 8 people at the register and had to argue a bit but they finally gave it to him.

kenbenobi 07-01-08 05:04 PM

Weird, at about 3pm today my brother went there to pick up a copy for me. He said he had about 8 people at the register and had to argue a bit but they finally gave it to him.

Incredible. I argued with 2 managers, and they wouldn't budge... It was actually closer to 1:45pm that I tried this. I returned something first, and that receipt says 1:30pm... I find it hard to believe he would get different managers only 1 hour and 15 minutes later...

DVDsAreMyLIFE 07-01-08 05:06 PM

Incredible. I argued with 2 managers, and they wouldn't budge...

Yea, I will have to ask my brother the entire low-down but he did say he had to argue a bit. He didn't give me specifics yet, just told me he got them for me.

DVDsAreMyLIFE 07-01-08 05:07 PM

Incredible. I argued with 2 managers, and they wouldn't budge... It was actually closer to 1:45pm that I tried this. I returned someone first, and that receipt says 1:30pm... I find it hard to believe he would get different managers only 1 hour and 15 minutes later...

I completely agree, I wonder if some other guy stepped in who didn't know about that earlier and just gave it to him but wasn't aware two other managers said no previously.

kenbenobi 07-01-08 05:13 PM

I completely agree, I wonder if some other guy stepped in who didn't know about that earlier and just gave it to him but wasn't aware two other managers said no previously.

Well, congrats to him. I might go back up there tonight and try one more time. The copy they took from me at the register will end up back on the shelves at some point. But it doesn't have the coupon on it anymore. I still have the coupon.

DVDsAreMyLIFE 07-01-08 05:17 PM

Well, congrats to him. I might go back up there tonight and try one more time. The copy they took from me at the register will end up back on the shelves at some point. But it doesn't have the coupon on it anymore. I still have the coupon.

Yea definitely give it a go, he said he grabbed the last one off the shelf. So hopefully yours will still be there.

das1330 07-01-08 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Curious...where exactly are you. I'm from the rural sticks of NC myself. Always interested in finding someone else here who is from WNC.

I am from another wnc town, but I spend most of my time in jackson at WCU.

bmoore 07-01-08 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Both those stores showed ZERO S1 SEs in the system today when they looked it up for me. Plus my brother hit the Dearborn store last night and came up empty.

I don't really trust that system anymore. Everytime theres a disc or two I want I can't find them, they say they aren't in stock. Onmore than one occasion i've showed up to find them.

Originally Posted by drmoze
Sleazy. Why not leave them for people who want to own and watch the DVDs? -ohbfrank- (Not that you'll find them in the store anyway, I'm betting.)

I guess they'll know where they can find them then. *laugh*

DVDsAreMyLIFE 07-01-08 07:45 PM

kenbenobi,

Talked to me brother briefly, he said he had to do about 20 mins of convincing to let him have the deal but they eventually gave it to him.

Rockmjd23 07-01-08 07:47 PM

No season 1 tins at the Dedham, MA Best Buy that I could find.

macontosh2000 07-01-08 09:29 PM

I attemped this today even thought they didnt have any of the special edition tins left. They had a sign up that said Buy Season 1 of 24 (no mention of the special edition) and save 15 dollars on each other season of 24. I grabbed the standard season 1 set and seasons 2,3,5 (all they had left)brought them to the cashier and to make a long story short they wouldnt let me do it. :(

dylonius 07-01-08 09:52 PM

I have to admit that i was tempted on this one. I read it early, and i have a lot of 24 seasons, but i so love giving it Best Buy, that i almost went and did it anyways. Oh well. Next round. I'll get you again Best Buy, I always do.

drmoze 07-01-08 10:23 PM

I don't see how BB refuses this deal, which is just their regular sale price, plus a mfr's coupon.

WOuld it help to have the cashier ring up all the seasons at $16.99, and then say "oh yeah, and I have this coupon from the season 1 tin. Just scan it"? I don't want a hassle if they get seasons 4-6 back in stock this week.

chard31 07-01-08 10:26 PM

Question:

Is the coupon only on the outside of the tin SE 1?

I went to CC and they had 5 copies of the tin BUT there were no coupons on the outside of the boxes...

I bought one anyway {in case it was in the case} but I don't want to open it if the coupon is not in it...

Went to BB and they gave me a raincheck for all 6 seasons but when does the coupon expire and will the new tin sets still have the coupon on it?

king3style 07-01-08 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by chard31
Question:

Is the coupon only on the outside of the tin SE 1?

I went to CC and they had 5 copies of the tin BUT there were no coupons on the outside of the boxes...

I bought one anyway {in case it was in the case} but I don't want to open it if the coupon is not in it...

Went to BB and they gave me a raincheck for all 6 seasons but when does the coupon expire and will the new tin sets still have the coupon on it?

Suppose to be on the outside. They probably removed them all. Bastards!

MickM 07-01-08 11:01 PM

So I tried to get mine today in the Tucson store. The last season 1 tin they had didn't have a sticker on it. I went to customer service and the manager there showed me a BB internal communication specifically saying they were NOT to honor this coupon (presumably only while the sets were on sale for $16.99) :-(.

DVDmaniac14 07-01-08 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by MickM
So I tried to get mine today in the Tucson store. The last season 1 tin they had didn't have a sticker on it. I went to customer service and the manager there showed me a BB internal communication specifically saying they were NOT to honor this coupon (presumably only while the sets were on sale for $16.99) :-(.

well looks like i should just give up on this deal...DEAD in my book now :( sadly enough

GenPion 07-01-08 11:06 PM

FAILED.

After all my effort, I got shot down by three different managers again today. It's done... and this deal will be close to dead for all. I heard that Best Buy has tried to get all the coupons pulled and that the codes were removed from their systems on purpose for the rest of the week. Total B.S.

DeltaSigChi4 07-01-08 11:10 PM

Hypothetical:

Would it or would it not matter if everyone who is rejected the legal use of a clear-cut manufacturer coupon by Best Buy filed official complaints with the Better Business Bureau? Hundreds .... thousands of complaints in a few days.

E

nickdawgy 07-01-08 11:11 PM

My Best Buy had two copies of the season one special edition with the coupon still on there. My step-dad and I grabbed both of them, and each grabbed seasons two through four.

The cashier scanned the coupon and told me my total was $58 and change. I told her it should be less. She studied the coupon, and said "It's not taking it because a sale is considered an offer, and that's not allowed."

I tried to talk to a couple of managers and they laughed and said " we can't do this for you."

I called Best Buy corporate and was told the managers were "100% correct in what they did."

I know most coupons say markdowns taken off original price or coupon taken off original price, but the coupon clearly says up to $75.