DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

Cardsfan111 07-01-08 01:50 AM

I'm away from home and read about this deal late Sunday night. I'm going through Knoxville, TN on Monday morning and decide to stop in to a Best Buy fully expecting them to be cleared out. Lo and behold, there's 2 copies of the SE tin, only 1 of 'em having the coupon. I take all the seasons up to the counter and as I begin to take the coupon off, she indicates that's not going to work...a manager had told her the previous night the sale price was equal to the coupon not working with another offer.

I politely told her that I didn't intend to raise a fuss, but wondered if she could check with a manager again. He comes over moments later, seems fully aware of the situation and tells her to scan it and everything will work out fine. The cashier was happy for me giving me a thumbs up at the anticipation of the deal. Out the door for $29.xx

I only "needed" season 6, and didn't think I'd ever double dip for the SE tin of season 1. To get duplicates of the other seasons was a huge bonus. I've encouraged several others to check out the show - having the sets to give away/loan out to family/friends will be great.

Thanks, OP!

Surfinhank 07-01-08 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion
ARGH! Wish me luck tomorrow guys. I went all around local stores. First hit up Best Buy again after my first denial by the manager on the coupon. The Set's of 24: Season 1 Special Edition didn't have the coupon. Then I went to Walmart to try and get the coupon of the set and price match for the rest. They didn't even have the Season 1 Special Edition. I then went to my local Target. They had the set but NO coupons. Then I went to another store, waited half an hour for a case to be opened with the sole copy of season 1 (which had the coupon and no one ever came). I left disgruntled. I then went to Circuit City. They had all the set's but the sticker's weren't on the Season 1 set. Dang it! I was getting really annoyed. Then I tried to go by another Walmart and they had the Season 1: Special Edition set (loads of copies) but no coupons to be found. Then I tried back at the other store I waited around for half an hour to get the set, was able to buy the set for over $50, and I got the coupon off. I'm returning the set tomorrow and am going to try Circuit City to price match so I can get all the sets. Otherwise, Best Buy is missing Season 6 but I can try to get seasons 1 to 5 there. And if that fails, I can use my coupon to try and get Seasons 1-4 and 6 at the one Walmart that had the season one special edition.

Does Target Price match? Because if they do I could try to get them all their as well.

This has been one helluva challenge.

....ummmmm. Wow. I have to say I'm really jealous of all the free time you have.

GenPion 07-01-08 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
....ummmmm. Wow. I have to say I'm really jealous of all the free time you have.

Actually, my entire day feels ruined. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Kicker_of_Elves 07-01-08 07:42 AM

Went to 2 different locations, both within 15 miles of each other and managed to get 2 complete sets for 24 S1-6 for $28.83 and $28.89. I sold my old set for over $100 a few months ago and have regretted it ever since so i'm happy as a pig in shit that i got in on this deal. I took the other complete set and gave em to my brother. He went nuts when i said he could have em, his first question was, "Holy shit, aren't these $50 each?" -biggrin-

C_Fletch 07-01-08 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
Went to 2 different locations, both within 15 miles of each other and managed to get 2 complete sets for 24 S1-6 for $28.83 and $28.89. I sold my old set for over $100 a few months ago and have regretted it ever since so i'm happy as a pig in shit that i got in on this deal. I took the other complete set and gave em to my brother. He went nuts when i said he could have em, his first question was, "Holy shit, aren't these $50 each?" -biggrin-

Very cool....can you be my brother?

Snowmaker 07-01-08 08:18 AM

Went to 2 different locations, both within 15 miles of each other and managed to get 2 complete sets for 24 S1-6 for $28.83 and $28.89.

I wonder why the $.06 difference. :hscratch:

DVD Polizei 07-01-08 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I'm away from home and read about this deal late Sunday night. I'm going through Knoxville, TN on Monday morning and decide to stop in to a Best Buy fully expecting them to be cleared out. Lo and behold, there's 2 copies of the SE tin, only 1 of 'em having the coupon. I take all the seasons up to the counter and as I begin to take the coupon off, she indicates that's not going to work...a manager had told her the previous night the sale price was equal to the coupon not working with another offer.

I politely told her that I didn't intend to raise a fuss, but wondered if she could check with a manager again. He comes over moments later, seems fully aware of the situation and tells her to scan it and everything will work out fine. The cashier was happy for me giving me a thumbs up at the anticipation of the deal. Out the door for $29.xx

I only "needed" season 6, and didn't think I'd ever double dip for the SE tin of season 1. To get duplicates of the other seasons was a huge bonus. I've encouraged several others to check out the show - having the sets to give away/loan out to family/friends will be great.

Thanks, OP!

I love reading stories like this. It demonstrates this is perfectly legit.

superdeluxe 07-01-08 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

tax

DVDmaniac14 07-01-08 08:45 AM

seems they've fixed the glitch on bestbuy.com...it no longer says "save $15" next to "on sale" :( well ill just have to search around some best buys in ATL and TN hoping they have some. Does anyone know if BB has restocks in the middle of the week for items like this?

Snowmaker 07-01-08 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
tax

Unless he went 15 miles across a state line, then tax should have been the same at both stores.

cracksky 07-01-08 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
seems they've fixed the glitch on bestbuy.com...it no longer says "save $15" next to "on sale" :( well ill just have to search around some best buys in ATL and TN hoping they have some. Does anyone know if BB has restocks in the middle of the week for items like this?

They still have this page though... :D

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at151000050005

mnementh 07-01-08 09:00 AM

Unless he went 15 miles across a state line, then tax should have been the same at both stores.

Sales tax often varies by county, sometimes by city.

Kicker_of_Elves 07-01-08 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Very cool....can you be my brother?

:lol:

I got em at Best Buys in different cities/states, different set of sales tax for each one. 7% for one set, 7.25% for the other.

I'm right on the border of IA-ILL. I was car shopping at dealerships with a buddy, so my main concern wasn't hitting Best Buys on a scavenger hunt, it was helping my friend find a car. When he found a one he liked (In case anyone cares it was a Toyota Camry) he told me to go ahead and take off since the paperwork was gonna take awhile.

I saw a Best Buy down the road from the dealership and i decided to see if i could get another set for my bro and i'm glad i did since i think he's a bigger fan of the show then me.

Double_Oh_7 07-01-08 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky

But every season is sold out online and not available for store pickup. So what's the point...

Rockmjd23 07-01-08 09:15 AM

I'm going to check it out this morning on a break from work. I doubt I'll find any tins in stock.

Snowmaker 07-01-08 09:19 AM

I got em at Best Buys in different cities/states, different set of sales tax for each one. 7% for one set, 7.25% for the other.

I'm right on the border of IA-ILL.

Ah ha! I was right. :D

DirkBelig 07-01-08 09:31 AM

Dearborn, MI last night had all seasons, but no S1 tins. (They even checked the computer.) They get shipments on Weds. and Fri. I just need S6 (which sucked all to hell and 24 was my favorite show) and figure this was the way to get the extras on S1 for cheap.

Snowmaker 07-01-08 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Dearborn, MI last night had all seasons, but no S1 tins. (They even checked the computer.) They get shipments on Weds. and Fri. I just need S6 (which sucked all to hell and 24 was my favorite show) and figure this was the way to get the extras on S1 for cheap.

Yeah, my brother hit that store last night too.

DVDmaniac14 07-01-08 09:51 AM

Yeah, my brother hit that store last night too.

any idea what time the shipments come in? would just like to know so i am not waiting around at the store all day :)

drmoze 07-01-08 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by das1330
bestbuy.com order shipped. woo :-D

Yeah, but much better to get 5 seasons at $2 each than just 1. Those that got off their couch early got rewarded. ;)

OldBoy 07-01-08 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But every season is sold out online and not available for store pickup. So what's the point...

they are all available online except for S1 now.

Snowmaker 07-01-08 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
they are all available online except for S1 now.

And the regular S1 set is now $49.99 for some reason.

das1330 07-01-08 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Yeah, but much better to get 5 seasons at $2 each than just 1. Those that got off their couch early got rewarded. ;)

Those who live over an hour and a half from a best buy, have to resort to online, its not a matter of "Getting off of the couch" but having the time to make that sort of a trip.

Double_Oh_7 07-01-08 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky

Doesn't work.

njwiv 07-01-08 11:00 AM

And the regular S1 set is now $49.99 for some reason.

It actually never was priced at $16.99 during the sale, only the special edition version of Season 1 was $16.99.