DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

jPoD_TGN 06-30-08 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
Concord Pike, actually. That was the only place in the area with Season 1 listed as in stock, and now it's listed as out of stock.

Yeah, that's slightly out of the way. Only go there for tax free big purchases. KOP is out of stock now. Super.

tommyp007 06-30-08 02:17 PM

Score!!!! Best Buy on Tunnel Road in Asheville, NC. Had 3 of the Season 1 tins "with" stickers in place, plus multiples of all other seasons. Grabbed one of each and took to the front counter. Teenage kid looks at me and says "Getting them all while they're on sale, huh?" My reply...."oh...just wait!!!" Rings up all six, I had him the coupon, he scans,....BOOM $28+change.

Stunned look on BB kids face, big grin on mine.

I explained how it worked, he says "wow" a few more times. Out the door I go.

Thanks OP! I already had seasons 1-4, so I'm sending these in a care package to my brother-in-law in Iraq, along with other goodies.

das1330 06-30-08 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Score!!!! Best Buy on Tunnel Road in Asheville, NC. Had 3 of the Season 1 tins "with" stickers in place, plus multiples of all other seasons. Grabbed one of each and took to the front counter. Teenage kid looks at me and says "Getting them all while they're on sale, huh?" My reply...."oh...just wait!!!" Rings up all six, I had him the coupon, he scans,....BOOM $28+change.

Stunned look on BB kids face, big grin on mine.

I explained how it worked, he says "wow" a few more times. Out the door I go.

Thanks OP! I already had seasons 1-4, so I'm sending these in a care package to my brother-in-law in Iraq, along with other goodies.

Guess i wont ask for work off thursday to make the hour and a half trek, good score!

sauce07 06-30-08 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
Just checked out a couple stores in Northern, VA - Had them check to see which locations had the tin. Most stores had 1 or 2 copies left BUT those at the locations i stopped at WERE MISSING THE COUPONS! If you're in NoVa looking to get in on this, I hate to break it to you but I just wasted the morning with nothing to show :( Oh well... Great find OP!

I just checked The Reston store and they had one copy of the SE without the coupon (dented too). Have you checked Sterling and Chantilly?

Also, is the coupon only on the best buy sets?

breeze13 06-30-08 02:28 PM

Greetings from Wilmington, DE. Successful trip to Kirkwood Highway store. Had 2 tins left, snatched one, along w/Seasons 2-6. Proceeded to checkout, not a problem. Voila, $26.94, w/no tax!

Here's my thoughts, as a lawyer (for what that's worth), on whether BB must honor the coupon. First off, to say its only valid on one season is nonsensical. As others have said, the language on the coupon couldn't be clearer. So, no out there. But, I do believe they'd be in their rights to classify a sale as an "offer", and then say it can't be combined. Theoretically, I don't believe that's an unreasonable interpretation.

Two final things. One, as I was leaving, the store manager snatched up the final tin ... said it was for an internet sale. Could've been telling the truth, who knows??

Finally, can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Seasons 2-4 "big boxes" and the current editions? Thanks!!

Bob (newbie)

RustyOrgan 06-30-08 02:29 PM

Yeah man... I checked them. Nothing.

Originally Posted by sauce07
I just checked The Reston store and they had one copy of the SE without the coupon (dented too). Have you checked Sterling and Chantilly?

Sweet Baby James 06-30-08 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I've read multiple horror stories regarding experiences at Best Buys across the country here, yet I never had any. Until this store. I hate the Trumbull location with every fiber of my being. And this doesn't even have anything to do with "deals" such as these. It was as recently as the GTA:IV preorder and the last "Buy 3, get 10%" coupons. Mostly everyone there (particularly "management") can go fuck themselves and burn in the darkest, most painful levels of hell.

I just scored the deal at Trumbull!:D When I went a couple of hours ago, there were 2 tins without the sticker. I walked across the parking lot to Target to see if they had the Season 1 tin with sticker. They did, so I bought it at Target and went back to my car. I peeled off the sticker and went back into BB and scored the deal. I then returned the tin to Target and my day was complete! Thanks again, OP!

Sweet Baby James 06-30-08 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07

No. I've just came back from my trek and saw the coupon on tins at Target and FYE.

OldBoy 06-30-08 02:33 PM

My story...

so yesterday, after reading this thread and groveling to the folks here to hook me up, i went to the site and put all seasons in my cart as if to do in-store pickup. i just wanted to see if they were all in-stock. they were all in except for S6. this was 2pm-ish.

i didn't feel like going yesterday, just because. decided to wait till this morning and go at 10am. checked on the status of the in-stocks and then S1 vanished (which i know means less than 3 in-stock. i figured that i would be screwed with no 1 or 6 and 1 was what i really wanted anyway).

so i went at 10, went in casually and went to the section. there was another bloke sculking out the 24's. i knew he knew about the deal, but i sauntered away bc i am the last person that shows his eager-beaverness for a deal. so i just casually stood by until he was finished doing his thing. there seemed to be at least 3 more S1's after he picked up 1. saw he had another 2 sets, but didn't know which ones.

he seemed disappointed (i presumed it was bc they were not in-stock on some sets), but keep in mind they did have them all in as of close yesterday.

so he waited for a guy to get a guy to ask where they were. i went to the sets and they had 1,2 & 5 only. i was disappointed as well, but knew they must have all the others besides S6 as online dictated. so i watched the guy ask the guy and the guy checked the PC, must have saw they were in-stock and looked around other sections, including the big carts that needed to be put out. they weren't there.

so, he went to the back. meanwhile i was searching all the sections, thinking they may have been somewhere else or by themselves. the other guy did the same. they weren't. also, another older gentleman was looking for the sets, but i don't think he was privy to the coupon. the guy talked to me and said "we must be looking for the same thing", i pretended to not know what he was talking about and said "what's that?" (not sure why i did that), but i said yeah, looking for 24. don't know what else we said but he waited for his guy and i just waited in limbo waiting for the BB guy to help this guy first.

so his guy came back with nothing. you can see the disappointment on his face. i didn't waiver though and knew they had to be somewhere. was even going to ask to see a manager of that dept. or something.

so, i then ask another guy who worked in that dept (who first approached me and asked if he could help me find something) for S3 & 4, since i had 1,2,5 and figured 6 was out.

he went through the same motions as the other guy (checked the PC and it showed 5 of 3 and 7 of 4 on-hand, again, i didn't even ask about S6), went around to different sections, but this time when he went to the back and...eureka! he came back with S3-4 and then i said "you don't happen to have S6 do you?", he did and siad it was the last one! and i was now holding all seasons in hand w/ coupon. i didn't really pay anymore attention to the other guy and don't know where he went.

so i knew that part was over and knew another possibly daunting task lay ahead.

i brought all my seasons up. she rang, i then gave coupon, she scanned, a big grey box came up (i couldn't really see what it said, but it looked like it was only going to deduct 1 season), it didn't, they all trickled down to $1.99 and my total rang $29.13. she said "what a great deal!" i said, "yeah, it was all about the coupon".

that was it. i could have left, but i wanted to find the other guy and just make sure he knew about the coupon and tell him that it did in fact worked. i went around (knew he didn't ring up before me), found him as he was coming to the aisles and causally said "you know about the coupon, right?" he said yeah and asked if i got all the sets, and i said yeah, and he said i asked the right guy and that he should have asked that guy because he fell short 1 season. i think he was a little sour, but went to check out gracefully and i just left with a nice grin. went to see "Wanted" which was jsut starting up next door and loved it, so all in all a very nice morning!!!

i know no one will read this and i do have a tendancy to go on and on and on, but thought i would share and re-iterate what a fantastic deal 'acejh87' was able to let everyone know about. i mean i wouldn't even have thought twice about getting them all, when all i was really interested in was S1 (SE).

thanks 'acejh87' !!!! now, i just wish everyone who tried and still tries gets in on this deal with the jubilation i feel so they can feel. this is truly a steal to have six seasons of a 22 ep show ring at only $4.85 each when calculated!

Thespian68 06-30-08 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
Yeah man... I checked them. Nothing.

I settled for S1 (shipped) and S6 (pickup) for 20 bucks and change with taxes. NoVa stores were cleaned out pretty quickly.

This is probably deal of the year so far...if I didnt already have S1-S5 I would have been all over it early Sunday.

C_Fletch 06-30-08 02:45 PM

Well, I hit 2 stores. The first had only 1 left of the S1 Tin and the coupon. The other one had no coupon. They only had Seasons 2 & 3 so I ended up with the first 3 seasons for about $23. Not bad.

Thanks acejh87!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Deal of the year so far!!!!!

Snowmaker 06-30-08 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
so i watched the guy ask the guy and the guy checked the PC,

This is where you lost me. Too many "guys" involved.

orion1998_1 06-30-08 02:49 PM

thanks op! i got 1 through 5, they were out of 6 for 27.XX otd. she rang them all up then i gave her the coupon, very easy, there should be NO trouble any where on this, anyone try pm anywhere? or are the coupons only at best buy?

Raw_and_Vital 06-30-08 02:55 PM

I think the coupons are good for anywhere. But best buy is the only place selling this SE season 1 tin for 16.99... Target has it for 39 or something. So that's why people are only doing it at BB...

orion1998_1 06-30-08 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
I think the coupons are good for anywhere. But best buy is the only place selling this SE season 1 tin for 16.99... Target has it for 39 or something. So that's why people are only doing it at BB...

yes PM to somewhere else, target does not pm anything

OldBoy 06-30-08 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
This is where you lost me. Too many "guys" involved.

sorry. i tried to condense and make it succinct. guess not.

bottomline...i am a happy camper. wish everyone else becomes as well.

OldBoy 06-30-08 03:00 PM

Season 1 Tin clock?

anyone know how to turn the alarm off and make it go back to 24:00 or at least reset it and not count down anymore? i guess i pushed the bottom and it is counting up, but i don't want to hear it go off.

Snowmaker 06-30-08 03:00 PM

sorry. i tried to condense and make it succinct. guess not.

bottomline...i am a happy camper. wish everyone else becomes as well.

Well, if you got the slim cases and you'd prefer the original fold-out digipak cases for seasons 2-4, I'd be willing to trade ya. :D

OldBoy 06-30-08 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Well, if you got the slim cases and you'd prefer the original fold-out digipak cases for seasons 2-4, I'd be willing to trade ya. :D

sorry, with space limited slim is in.

ps) just saw that most of the the seasons are now sold out online. i guess even getting 2 seasons for $19.00 or so was too good to pass up.

paaron46 06-30-08 03:28 PM

anyone know how to turn the alarm off and make it go back to 24:00 or at least reset it and not count down anymore? i guess i pushed the bottom and it is counting up, but i don't want to hear it go off.

I have the same problem. But, my wife pushed the button and it reset to zeros and I don't know how to get it back to 24:00 if anyone knows how to do that it'd be great.

(There's got to be a way, because what happens when the battery on that thing runs out and you replace it?)

DaveWadding 06-30-08 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by breeze13

Finally, can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Seasons 2-4 "big boxes" and the current editions? Thanks!!

Bob (newbie)

The packages are about half the size of the big box. No difference as far as content etc.

breeze13 06-30-08 03:32 PM

Thanks, Dave. That was my hunch, but didn't know for sure.

Anyone have any opinions on my take on whether BB need honor the coupon (see *230)??

Bob

Private Donut 06-30-08 03:53 PM

Just to be clear, I am not a troll. I detest people who troll.

I am not attempting to rob, cheat, or steal from Best Buy. I don't think anyone else who has gotten or attempted to get this deal is either.

I will not be terribly disappointed if BB does not honor the coupon in the end. At $17 a season this is still a good deal. Works out to around 80 cents an hour, which as entertainment goes, is pretty cheap.

I'm sure lawyers could debate for months as to the meaning of the wording on the coupon. Forget about the semantics for a moment though. Best Buy honors the coupon, they get $75 from FOX, they lose nothing. They don't honor the coupon, they end up with an unhappy customer, and in my case, a BBB complaint on their record. I fail to understand how it is a good business decision to not honor the coupon.

As someone else here said, anyone with an eight grade education should be able to read the coupon and understand it. Had my cashier scanned the coupon (which she didn't, she entered it in manually as an after-sale discount), it would have rung up properly. Any store manager should know that BB will get the $75 back from FOX.

I'm annoyed, but not upset. I went through the BBB because that's what they are there for, to resolve consumer complaints. The value is irrelevant.

Hopefully if BB sees a pattern of complaints they will change some of their internal practices. If no one complains (about this or other types of incidents), nothing will ever change.

The Better Business Bureau is there for a reason. Use them when you need to.

Bob_F1 06-30-08 04:01 PM

What an incredible deal!

Thanks to the OP! You are indeed a "Cool New Member".

Private Donut 06-30-08 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by breeze13
Anyone have any opinions on my take on whether BB need honor the coupon (see *230)??

Bob

I'm going to disagree on the "offer" part of your opinion.

When rung up, all of the sets come up as $16.99 on the register, and on the receipt. They do not ring up at $49.99, with a separate line item discount of $33 per set. This tells me the "current selling price" is $16.99. No discounts are applied at the time of sale. Therefore no "offers" or "other coupons" are in effect, and the coupon should be honored.

Here is the full text on the coupon:

$15 OFF INSTANTLY

When You Purchase Any Season of 24* With Purchase of 24 Season One Special Edition.

Offer expires July 20, 2008.

*Offer good for up to $75 off the combined purchase of 24 Seasons 2 through 6

U.S. Retailer:
Send to TCFHI, P.O. Box 880981, El Paso, TX 885-0981. You will be reimbursed the face value of this coupon plus 8 cents handling if submitted in compliance with offer terms.

Limit 1 coupon per customer. Not good in combination with other coupon or offer. Offer good in U.S.A. only. Void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Not valid on prior purchases. Valid on in-stock items only; no rain checks. No dealers. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. No photocopies allowed. Cash value 1/100 of one cent. Expires 07/20/08.