Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Update Part 2 (With Master List Of Titles Seen)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Update Part 2 (With Master List Of Titles Seen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 07:56 PM
JCZ
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the store in Valdosta, Georgia today and they had only a small amount of dvds and no boxsets. I picked up Dirty War and Paths of Glory.
Old 08-16-08, 08:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The Cary, NC store had a ton of the $3 discs. No box sets. For all the discs, did not appear to be a big selection. I did at least find some Superbits:

Johnny Mnemonic (Superbit)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Superbit)
A River Runs Through It
Agnes of God
Dillinger (Warren Oates)
Steamboy
Mike Hammer Set - More Than Murder/Murder Me, Murder You

Peter
Old 08-16-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Proglodite
The Cary, NC store had a ton of the $3 discs. No box sets. For all the discs, did not appear to be a big selection. I did at least find some Superbits:

Johnny Mnemonic (Superbit)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Superbit)
A River Runs Through It
Agnes of God
Dillinger (Warren Oates)
Steamboy
Mike Hammer Set - More Than Murder/Murder Me, Murder You

Peter
hit the Cary, NC store, the Western Blvd Raleigh store and the south Durham (54/55) store (after learning to never, ever, ever EVER take a shortcut on Fayetteville St. again...*shudder*).
Nothing new except the sony $3 refresh.

Did snag
Mothman Prophecies (2-Disc)
Hollow Man (Superbit DELUXE--2 disc!) [considered, then remembered even my stretchy limits of acceptance didn't quite encompass this film]
Mike Hammer Set for me, too
Kung Fu Hustle (WS! YAY!)

alas. no box sets anywhere.
Old 08-16-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Kung Fu Hustle (WS! YAY!)
Let me know if you find a second one! I check each and every copy at every store I visit and must have looked at over 100 by now, all FS.
Old 08-16-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by printerati
Let me know if you find a second one! I check each and every copy at every store I visit and must have looked at over 100 by now, all FS.
In the two stores I went to, they had each gotten new flat cardboard displays, each with two layers. Both had Kung Fu Hustle in two places, one section FS, one section WS--so next time I'm out I should *easily* find another
(unless one of my fellow DVDTalkers here scoops me on it ;)
Old 08-16-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I decided to check the Cary store today on my lunch break. No boxsets as mentioned above, but I got:

Mike Hammer
A River Runs Through It - Deluxe Version with scrapbook
Howling IV

They had like 6 WS copies of Kung Fu Hustle there. They're on the bottom layer of the new Sony display so you have to lift the upper layer to find them, but they're there.

They had a bunch of Echo Bridge stuff that wasn't there last time I went. I don't remember any of the titles except Howling IV, but there wasn't anything outstanding there from what I recall.
Old 08-16-08, 11:27 PM

Modesto, CA

I keep on dropping in to the East side store, but alas still no box sets.
However, every time I go I keep finding more single titles I hadn't seen or considered before, so due to box set hunting have recently added:

Too Late the Hero (1970) Michael Caine/Cliff Robertson
The Brood (1979)
The Magic Sword (1962)
Breakout (1975) Charles Bronson
The End of the Affair (1955) Deborah Kerr/Van Johnson
Duel in the Sun (1946) Jennifer Jones/Gregory Peck
Fuzz (1972) Burt Reynolds/Raquel Welch
Old 08-17-08, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I picked up...THE HORROR FAMILY box set (which was stickered at $3, not $6 as listed on page 1 of this thread).
Thanks for the price correction. The person who had first posted THE GREAT HORROR FAMILY box set here thought that he remembered it as being priced at $6.00 which is why I had listed it that way in the updated Master List.

I hadn't seen this Bandai shipment in our area (Charlotte, NC) or in a recent trip to visit relatives in Alabama (Decatur and Huntsville) so I didn't know what the price was from personal experience. I'll remove that $6.00 price from the listing.

I've also added the recent Sony and Echo Bridge/Platinum Disc titles to the list which have recently reported.

Thanks to everybody who has been including the name of the studio in their posts along with the titles of their finds. It's been a big help to me in keeping the list updated!

Link to the Big Lots Master List:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....48#post8745448
Old 08-17-08, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which release is Kung-Fu Hustle? If it's the Axe-kickin' edition, I better damn well find one at my Big Lots...
Old 08-17-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Which release is Kung-Fu Hustle? If it's the Axe-kickin' edition, I better damn well find one at my Big Lots...
It's the regular version, which was first released in separate WS and FS versions.

@printerati: I'll pick up an extra WS copy for you to go with Cowboy Bebop (I have 3-4 for you) so we can trade for a woody allen set.
Old 08-17-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Off Topic: Has anybody been picking up other stuff as a result of the frequent trips to Big Lots? I've become rather fond of the Java Pop Coffee Soda. $2 for a 4 pack. Of course, since it's at Big Lots, it's probably a close-out and when they run out of it it will be gone for good. Oh well, that's life...
Old 08-17-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by basaro
It's the regular version, which was first released in separate WS and FS versions.
Dammit, that means it's cut...
Old 08-17-08, 01:30 PM

Off Topic: Has anybody been picking up other stuff as a result of the frequent trips to Big Lots? ...
Not me...several of the stores in the Dayton area have signs that say something along the lines of, "DVD's must stay at the front area of the store". So, I obey the "rules" and get my DVD's and just leave. Which gives me a reason to go shop at Family Dollar and check out their DVD's and recently I did find a small display of Ultimate Fighting Championship DVD's(10 - 12 different?) for $5.00 each. I bought the "UFC 60" one with Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie. Again, this was at Family Dollar.
Old 08-17-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Picked up Gattaca and Cliffhanger Superbits today and if anyone in Dallas area is interested this Big Lots on Forest had several of the Japanimation box sets. Can't remember the titles exactly though. This store had a TON of dvds all over the place.
Old 08-17-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
In the two stores I went to, they had each gotten new flat cardboard displays, each with two layers. Both had Kung Fu Hustle in two places, one section FS, one section WS--so next time I'm out I should *easily* find another
(unless one of my fellow DVDTalkers here scoops me on it
Yeah, basaro scooped you. Thanks anyway!
Old 08-18-08, 05:56 AM

^ Yeah, I did. FangsFirst and I are already working out a trade of our own, so I think it'll be okay
Old 08-18-08, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Autolycus
Thanks for the price correction. The person who had first posted THE GREAT HORROR FAMILY box set here thought that he remembered it as being priced at $6.00 which is why I had listed it that way in the updated Master List.
That might have been me, but yeah I've seen it for $3. I think the first time I saw it, I got the price mixed up with Acapulco Heat which is $6.
Old 08-18-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Mike Hammer, Hot Resort, The Snowman and Steamboy from the Portsmouth, NH store yesterday.
Old 08-18-08, 08:19 AM

Could somebody please pick up a Mothman Phophecies 2-disk and Leon the Profession Uncut International for me? I will gladly pay the $3.00 plus shipping.
Old 08-18-08, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I picked up Mike Hammer, Hot Resort, The Snowman and Steamboy from the Portsmouth, NH store yesterday.
Hi neighbor!

Hot Resort/Private Resort...same thing?
Old 08-18-08, 08:44 AM

^It's not all the same Sony stuff at my store (Nashua finally got some new stock), mostly yes, but I found a few new or rare titles:

As Good As It Gets (gold slipcover)
Girl, Interrupted
In The Line Of Fire (Signature Deluxe)
Lawrence Of Arabia (gold slipcover)
Leon - The Professional (Uncut International Version)
Little Women (boxset)
I have only seen a few copies of these at 1 store out of 3 that received the new Sony stuff. Has anyone else seen them?
Old 08-18-08, 08:52 AM
Cool New Member

Off Topic: Has anybody been picking up other stuff as a result of the frequent trips to Big Lots? I've become rather fond of the Java Pop Coffee Soda. $2 for a 4 pack. Of course, since it's at Big Lots, it's probably a close-out and when they run out of it it will be gone for good. Oh well, that's life...
Well, the City Club pineapple 3-liter bottles of soda have made me a happy guy. Closest thing I've found to be as good as Vess' pineapple (but nowhere near as good as the impossible 'round-these-parts Sunkist Pineapple).
Old 08-18-08, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DTStratovarius
Well, the City Club pineapple 3-liter bottles of soda have made me a happy guy. Closest thing I've found to be as good as Vess' pineapple (but nowhere near as good as the impossible 'round-these-parts Sunkist Pineapple).
Those #$%^& blasted $1.00 boxes of Sweet Tarts & Gobstoppers have become a habit worse than $3 DVDs for me. One time I spent more time looking for candy than DVDs.

On the flip side, we really need a new box fan in our house, and I've forgotten to look for that 3 times in a row now.
Old 08-18-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I grabbed a few boxes of Frankenberry and some Pop Rocks a few months back. Be sure to look out for the Berry Blast fruit roll-ups. I picked up a box and looked inside and there was a $5 Booyah! Giftcard. I don't know what the Booyah part was all about, but it was just a Discover giftcard, used it to buy some stuff at Blockbuster. Of course, I went back and got more boxes, but none of them had gift cards.
Old 08-18-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi neighbor!

Hot Resort/Private Resort...same thing?
Hello, I meant Private Resort. Hot Resort was an 80s Private Resort rip off with Bronson Pincott and the fat kid from "Hot Chilli". That sadly is not on DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.