Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Update Part 2 (With Master List Of Titles Seen)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Update Part 2 (With Master List Of Titles Seen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to 3 Big Lots today that I had never been to before(Dayton, Oh area), but only 1 had "interesting" stock that I haven't been seeing lately. Here are the multi-disc HBO stuff first and I provide links to Amazon for most of these since I looked them up after I got home-

The Comeback, the complete first/only season (Lisa Kudrow)
Empire Falls
Lucky Louie
The Mind of the Married Man, the complete first season

Also picked up-
American Splendor
Stephen King's the Night Flier
The Hitcher
Betrayed (Debra Winger/Tom Berenger)
Mom and Dad Save the World (Teri Garr...Sci-fi comedy)

*Edit to add- just wanted to confirm...all the titles above were priced at $3.00 each...

Last edited by Keith123; 07-29-08 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Lucky Louie (Is this the first season unmarked or is it 12 selected episodes?)
It's the complete series, and it's actually 13 episodes. Only 12 aired and for some reason the DVDs are marked as such, but the final, unaired episode is included too.
Old 07-29-08, 09:44 PM

[conehead433]Last night I was at my local BL and they had a new display set up. No one else was browsing so I was checking out the shelves first for something I might have missed. There was all kinds of good stuff in the new display but what immediately caught my eye was Heroes Season 1 and Firefly. I grabbed all that were there which was 4 Heroes and 2 Firefly. And when I woke up this morning I realized it was just a dream. I think I may spend too much time shopping for DVDs. On the other hand maybe it was about the future. If it was I'd rather dream up some winning lottery numbers.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
You dream about crap like Heroes and Firefly?? I suggest you check out something worth watching, namely THE WIRE!!
Actually, his "dream" is a spoof of the posts on the old Big Lots thread where some guy claimed to have found sets of Heroes Season 1 and Firefly earlier this year for $3.00 at his Big Lots (and had seen people carrying them out by the armload ahead of him).

After some people here had the audacity to doubt him (when no one else could replicate his find), he posted pictures of the DVD sets supposedly being flushed in his toilet as proof and as a slap in the face to his detractors.

Good job, conehead433. Thanks for reminding me of some of the funniest posts I've ever read here on DVD Talk!
Old 07-29-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
It's the complete series, and it's actually 13 episodes. Only 12 aired and for some reason the DVDs are marked as such, but the final, unaired episode is included too.

Thanks for that. For some reason, I didn't think to check IMDB. Man, am I a moron!
Old 07-29-08, 11:58 PM

Has anyone seen(watched) the movie in the HBO stuff with Diane Lane and Eric Roberts? I can't remember the title and I keep seeing it, debating on whether I should pick it up and putting it back. I'm tempted by Diane Lane but not so much by Eric Roberts.
Old 07-30-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepSleep

They also had the following MGM titles for $3 each:

1969 (starring Robert Downey, Jr., Kiefer Sutherland).
1969 is a tremendous film.
Old 07-30-08, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by moklerman
Has anyone seen(watched) the movie in the HBO stuff with Diane Lane and Eric Roberts?
Diane Lane provides two very compelling reasons to own Descending Angel.
Old 07-30-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 3dipper
Diane Lane provides two very compelling reasons to own Descending Angel.
Go to your room!
Old 07-30-08, 10:57 AM

Well, that's always a nice bonus but I'm so desensitized that I was actually curious if it was a good movie. The copy I looked at was in full screen so I assume it was a made for HBO movie and that sent up a red flag for some reason.
Old 07-30-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PumaPride
No restocks whatsoever.

Anyone in TX find anything?
I don't know what part of TX you're in, but in the Metroplex area the White Settlement and Southlake area BLs have had restocks of HBO titles. The White Settlement one has a huge anime stock, but only one small MGM display. Almost no anime at the Southlake location, but I don't know if it's all been sold or has yet to arrive there. Biggest MGM selection is in Hurst, with four displays. The least picked-over selection is in Ridglea, where the Spanish DVDs get all the attention.
Old 07-30-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The store in Danvers, MA has gotten rid of their MGM display and his just put any left over MGM DVDs in their usual dump rack.
Old 07-30-08, 01:44 PM

...I was actually curious if it was a good movie.
This is one of those sanctimonious, out-the-ex-Nazi-50-years-after-the-fact movies.
Old 07-30-08, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Traveling in Pennsylvaina...and I stopped in a BL that had two copies of "Angels In America", so....

I've got a spare sealed "Angels In America" I'd happily swap if anyone has a sealed "Equus" to trade. :-D
Old 07-30-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mickactual

I've got a spare sealed "Angels In America" I'd happily swap if anyone has a sealed "Equus" to trade. :-D
Has the latter actually been spotted anywhere?
Old 07-30-08, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by docdoowop
Has the latter actually been spotted anywhere?
MonsterMan mentions the title in post #400. I asked in a subseqent post if this is the Burton/Firth film I'm seeking, but there was no response. It must be. How many films by that title (by MGM) have there been?...
Old 07-30-08, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mickactual
MonsterMan mentions the title in post #400. I asked in a subseqent post if this is the Burton/Firth film I'm seeking, but there was no response. It must be. How many films by that title (by MGM) have there been?...
That's the only MGM film by that title which I know of and the Region 1 DVD for the 1977 Burton/Firth film is indeed an MGM release (first issued in 2003).

The post you cite above is also the only one I can recall which mentioned finding the title at Big Lots.

But there've been several posts in the last few weeks for MGM titles which only one person seems to have found (1969, Cop, I Bury The Living, Avanti!, Irma La Douce, The Apartment, Europa Europa, The Decameron, etc.).

I've been including them all in the Master List in hopes they'll eventually show up nationwide.

Link to the Big Lots Master List:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....48#post8745448

Last edited by Autolycus; 07-30-08 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 03:08 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Autolycus
But there've been several posts in the last few weeks for MGM titles which only one person seems to have found (1969, Cop, I Bury The Living, Avanti!, Irma La Douce, The Apartment, Europa Europa, The Decameron, etc.).

I can conferm that 1969, Cop and I Bury The Living were at my local BL. I past on these titles. not sure on the other titles.
Old 07-30-08, 03:19 PM

Went ahead and picked up Descending Angel. Diane Lane boobies and Nazis...what more could one ask for? Also picked up Prizzi's Honor. I've never seen this movie for some reason.
Old 07-30-08, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Autolycus

I've been including them all in the Master List in hopes they'll eventually show up nationwide.

Link to the Big Lots Master List:

I have seen I Bury the Living and The Apartment at my local Big Lots.
Old 07-30-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also picked up Prizzi's Honor. I've never seen this movie for some reason.
FYI. The versions I saw of Prizzi's Honor are all non-anamorphic, I believe.

-beebs
Old 07-30-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PumaPride
Anyone in TX find anything?
Don't know if it's re-stocks or putting out remainder of existing stock, but BL in Pasadena(TX) @ Spencer Hwy & Red Bluff put out 2 small MGM displays (2x1 DVDs wide) of same titles as before. Also, they looked to have gotten some more HBO titles in - including Comeback, Lucky Louie, Normal, 'Twas the Night, Hitchhiker, Enemy Within, Hei$t, Point of Origin, Mini's First Time, Path to War and several others I didn't see the last time around.
Old 07-31-08, 12:27 AM

FYI. The versions I saw of Prizzi's Honor are all non-anamorphic, I believe.
I'm not as picky about that. The copy I picked up appears to be a flipper 1.85:1 Widescreen/Fullscreen. Good enough for me.
Old 07-31-08, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^Yes, it's widescreen, but not anamorphic. I already sold mine for $3, cheap rental!
Old 07-31-08, 09:47 PM

I saw a bunch of boxed sets today at the Cambridge, Oh store, they were all MGM titles but unfortionatelely were not $3 the prices all varied the Rocky set was $15, Woody Allen was $16, Pam Grier for $10, Sllk Stockings season 1 for $6 the sabata trilogy for $5, The Species trilogy for $7, thunderbirds for $5, silence of the lambs/hannibal for $6 and probably a couple others I can't remember. I may be off by $1 or so on the prices I'm going by memory I didn't see anything that interested me enough to buy.
Old 07-31-08, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd part with $6 for Silk Stalkings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.