Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Update Part 2 (With Master List Of Titles Seen)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Update Part 2 (With Master List Of Titles Seen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
Originally Posted by basaro
the new MGM restock has still not shown up - I'm waiting for the rest of that Allen and World Films stuff.
Originally Posted by kingtopher
I don't recall seeing a single person confirm seeing this aside from the first poster who mentioned it. At this point it seems like it's either a huge ymmv situation where just that store or a handful of stores got a couple of random titles or it isn't true.
I agree that the Woody Allen and Fox In A Box (Pam Grier) box sets were probably just a fluke find/lucky accident since no else has reported seeing them but the first poster several weeks back.

But after scouring these posts for updates to the Master List, I do believe that there are tell-tale signs of another MGM wave coming.

There have been reports of additional MGM titles, Midnite Movies, World Films, Billy Wilder films, etc. which only a handful of people have posted so far. Someone also reported seeing other DVDs from the Soul Cinema series but didn't list the titles.

But hopefully this restock will make it to your Big Lots stores and mine before too long.

Link to the Big Lots Master List:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....48#post8745448
Old 07-26-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found three copies of Clint Eastwoods (Single Disc Snapper) Mystic River today for 3 bucks. Didn't pick them up because I have the 3 disc version, but thought people would like to know. It wasn't used either, still had the sticker ontop. Maybe apart of the "Drug Store" buyout?
Old 07-26-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up:
Cracker S3
Angels in America
Lucky Louie (for a friend)
Hitchhiker V1
Old 07-27-08, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Most nice.

I've been lurking weekly at my local store. Which has been squat.

No new titles.

That is until yesterday. The San Bernardino, CA store gets new inventory on Saturdays.

Not much, some here and there, but a restock.

Picked up some titles I wanted during their HBO sale. Sway.

Lewis Black: Red, White & Screwed
Bill Maher: Victorty Begins At Home
Norma Jean And Marilyn
Empire Falls
The Man With The X-Ray Eyes: Midnite Movies
The Hitcher (best of collection)

All mint, but I really only picked up the latter to have a two disc case. I needed to replace the one that came with "Monsters, Inc."

A great haul. Now I need to get that other Lewis Black DVD.
Old 07-27-08, 01:06 PM

I think it was part of the HBO re-stock but I don't remember it from the first wave--The Last Outlaw with Mickey Rourke. I picked that up yesterday as well as:

Lisa Kudrow: The Comeback(I gave my first wave copy to a friend who's a big fan of Friends")

Cracker Volume 3

The Holy Girl(La Nina Santa)(This was a blind buy but the overwhelming praise the box cover offers got me curious)

Dawg (Denis Leary/Elisabeth Hurley) (I've passed this movie up so many times that I finally caved and decided to give it a chance. Looking at Hurley for two hours is usually a nice activity regardless of the movie.)

Lucky Louie (This seemed to disappear the first time around and a lot of people were looking for it so I snagged an extra just in case a trade opportunity arises. There were multiple copies of it though as well as Cracker, Empire Falls, The Comeback, Cloonie's political thing(K Street?), etc. Maybe I just got lucky and was there before it all got picked through.)

I decided to keep it under $30 bucks this time and left Bridge Of Dragons(I know it's a pretty awful movie but I've always thought that ol' Dolph deserved some support. He has a horrible agent and/or taste in scripts but I keep pullin' for the guy to make a good movie. I can't live forever though, so that may be a pipe dream.)

***Edit: UPC 026359097027 HBO Films The Last Outlaw isn't on the master list(that I could see).

Last edited by moklerman; 07-27-08 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moklerman

Lucky Louie (This seemed to disappear the first time around and a lot of people were looking for it so I snagged an extra just in case a trade opportunity arises. There were multiple copies of it though as well as Cracker, Empire Falls, The Comeback, Cloonie's political thing(K Street?), etc. Maybe I just got lucky and was there before it all got picked through.)

Let me know if there's anything you're looking for in exchange for Lucky Louie, I've been looking for that one for months now.
Old 07-27-08, 01:29 PM

Dr. Phibes wrote
Let me know if there's anything you're looking for in exchange for Lucky Louie, I've been looking for that one for months now.

I have a extra copy of Lucky Louie. Will trade you for a Hitchhiker or original Candyman movie.
Old 07-27-08, 01:56 PM

If you want to work with ratherunique, who beat me to a reply, feel free. If you two can't work something out, I can try and think of something.

***Edit: I actually am looking for Rock N' Roll School if anyone wants to help me out.

Last edited by moklerman; 07-27-08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 08:37 PM

Can anyone help me out with any of these?
The Hitcher (best of collection or v1,v2,v3)
& Guys & Dolls (Deluxe Edition)....

I can not find any of these at my BLs & I really want these....
I'll cover the cost,package, & shipping if you can help out with no problem....

Thanks....
Old 07-27-08, 10:32 PM

My local Big Lots just put out a huge HBO restock!!! Some were mixed in with other older titles in the recent MGM display. Many more HBO titles were placed in the regular dvd rack. I was able to get Empire Falls, Mind Of The Married Man and several other titles. For those interested, there were several Cracker and Lucky Louie sets in stock. I only saw one Angels in America, but I already had a copy that I bought at Ross a few weeks back.

I also saw a bunch of the Garfield cartoon dvds that were mentioned a few pages back ... these and other Fox Video kiddie dvds were $4 each.

Now's the time to check out your Big Lots if you missed out on the HBO stuff. Thanks to everyone for looking out!

Sammy
Old 07-28-08, 06:53 AM

Picked up Making the Grade and Be Cool WS at mine yesterday. Still no sign of Bubba Ho-tep.
Old 07-28-08, 07:42 AM

I have extra copies of 'Bubba Ho-Tep' and 'Guys & Dolls' if anyone is interested / wants to trade or whatever.
Old 07-28-08, 08:40 AM

I just bumped the Big Lots exchange thread, seems BL is busy again and we could use it. Please post trades/wants there, I updated my list in the last post of the thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=496298
Old 07-28-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ratherunique
Dr. Phibes wrote

I have a extra copy of Lucky Louie. Will trade you for a Hitchhiker or original Candyman movie.
Thanks to you and moklerman for the offers, But I went to mine today and found Lucky Louie so I'm good now. I will keep an eye out for Candyman, Hitchhiker and R'n'R High School for you guys though.

My store had a ton of HBO stuff, here's what I picked up:

Empire Falls
Lucky Louie
One Night Stand - Louis CK
Lewis Black - Red White and Screwed
Cracker - Series Three
Angels in America
The Comeback
Mom and Dad Save the World
Yu Yu Hakusho: First Battles
Def Comedy Jam - 2 disc box set (featuring Earthquake!)
Old 07-28-08, 12:37 PM

Sterling, VA re-upped with MGM and HBO...
Old 07-28-08, 01:07 PM

Thanks to you and moklerman for the offers, But I went to mine today and found Lucky Louie so I'm good now. I will keep an eye out for Candyman, Hitchhiker and R'n'R High School for you guys though
Thanks,Dr. Phibes. I am not even sure the original Candyman even showed up at Big Lots. It was mentioned with both Candyman 2 and 3 as a MGM release but listed as a Columbia-Tri-Star release. Still, if you find either The Hitchhiker or Candyman 1 please let me know. I will gladly pay you $3 plus shipping.
Old 07-29-08, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ratherunique
Thanks,Dr. Phibes. I am not even sure the original Candyman even showed up at Big Lots. It was mentioned with both Candyman 2 and 3 as a MGM release but listed as a Columbia-Tri-Star release. Still, if you find either The Hitchhiker or Candyman 1 please let me know. I will gladly pay you $3 plus shipping.
I just did some quick research on Amazon and DVD Empire and you're right.

The first Candyman is indeed a Columbia TriStar/Sony release. It was first released in 1998, followed by a "Special Edition" in 2004.

Candyman 3 is also not an MGM release but was issued by Artisan/LionsGate.

Someone had posted both titles here a while back so I had put them on the Master List.

But since no one else has seen them and they definitely are not MGM titles, I'm correcting the list and taking them off for the present.
Old 07-29-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The confusion may have started because the 2nd films title is CANDYMAN(big Letters) Farewell to the flesh (small letters). Maybe they just typed in Candyman, and everyone assumed is was the first film?
Old 07-29-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had a great trip to my local store. There was a huge HBO restock.

I picked up:
Lewis Black: Red, White and Screwed
Lewis Black: Black on Broadway
Louis CK: One Night Stand
Chris Rock: Never Scared
David Spade: Take the Hit
Bill Maher: Victory Begins at Home

I left behind copies of basically everything from the HBO mix. That includes Cracker, Mind of the Married Man, The Comeback, Lucky Louie, a Def Comedy set, Norma Jean and Marilyn, Real Women Have Curves, etc. If anyone is interested in trading I'm willing to go back for after them, just let me know.
Old 07-29-08, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last night I was at my local BL and they had a new display set up. No one else was browsing so I was checking out the shelves first for something I might have missed. There was all kinds of good stuff in the new display but what immediately caught my eye was Heroes Season 1 and Firefly. I grabbed all that were there which was 4 Heroes and 2 Firefly. And when I woke up this morning I realized it was just a dream. I think I may spend too much time shopping for DVDs. On the other hand maybe it was about the future. If it was I'd rather dream up some winning lottery numbers.
Old 07-29-08, 02:45 PM

You dream about crap like Heroes and Firefly?? I suggest you check out something worth watching, namely THE WIRE!!
Old 07-29-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Wish my situation was a dream:

Called in to ask if there was any recent stock added to which the cashier replies "Sure, we're filled up again". I even went as far as asking her if there was a restock this week and she said there was.

Walked in and first thing I noticed was the metal rack that housed the HBO/Sony titles was full. Upon further inspection I realized it wasn't "filled up" because of an HBO restock, but rather with the MGM leftovers from the two missing smaller displays. The supposed restock turned out be be nothing more than that and the larger MGM display from June 30th.
Old 07-29-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've picked up the following in the last 3 days from my Big Lots. I keep forgetting to ask when they get DVD shipments in and put them out. I'll be there tomorrow picking up school supplies, so I'll make sure to ask then.

Art School Confidential
A Father, A Son, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Garfield: Travel Adventures
Garfield and Friends: Behind the Scenes
Garfield: Fantasies
Naked World
Rock School
Arliss
Chris Rock: Never Scared
Do You Believe in Miracles
Journalist and Jihadist
Live in Baghdad
Longford
Lucky Louie (Is this the first season unmarked or is it 12 selected episodes?)
Mind of Married Man Season 1
Mozart and the Whale
That Championship Season

My store really needs to organize their DVDs. I'm tempted to ask them if I can do it in exchange for a couple of DVDs.
Old 07-29-08, 04:09 PM

The Biglots near me had the HBO restock. Saw the following for $3 each:

The Best of Arli$$
The Hitchhiker
Lucky Louie
The Mind of the Married Man
Cracker Series 3
Angels of America

Alot of Def Jam comedy stuff along with many other titles that have already been mentioned.

They also had the following MGM titles for $3 each:

1969 (starring Robert Downey, Jr., Kiefer Sutherland)
Best Seller (starring James Woods, Brian Dennehy)
The Meteor (starring Robert Townsend, Marla Gibbs)
The Yes Men
Submarine X-1 (starring James Caan)
NOVO
Cop (starring James Woods)

Also had:

Akira Kurosawa's Samurai 7 (by Gonzo, Funimation Entertainment) This title did not have a price sticker on it so the cashier just scanned one of the $3 HBO's.
Old 07-29-08, 04:37 PM
Cool New Member

Went to two here in TX

No restocks whatsoever.

Anyone in TX find anything?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.