Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Old 10-31-17, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Not for nothing, I got that 20% off one item online code to work for me multiple times. It ends tonight.
Old 11-01-17, 10:28 AM

The Criterions seemed to immediately be coming up as inelligible for coupons last night as soon as their prices went to 50% off.
Old 11-01-17, 10:29 AM

You know things have taken a turn for the worst when on the 1st day of the sale, these boards are silent.
Old 11-01-17, 11:19 AM

Book prices? Most of my upcoming books lost their online discount recently. After checking, a lot of items I ordered earlier in the year did, too.

BN almost overnight wiped out a lot of online discounts. At least for some publishers.

Given how high prices have gotten to "price in" steep online discounts, that's not good. And prices are still going up. Even coupons don't help much.

BN seems to be in decline. The last thing I ordered used Narvar for tracking. I ran into this outfit last year with another retailer. They basically intercept your package tracking. Instead of getting a link to UPS, or USPS, the link is to their site. I don't know what value they possibly offer BN, since it's a useless service. Why BN needs to give my personal information to yet another third party is another issue. I don't understand why they can't just give me a tracking number without sending my information to a third party.

And, have you noticed most of the coupons now have a minimum purchase amount that is higher than the free-shipping threshold for everyone? Being a member is getting to be a worse deal every year.
Old 11-01-17, 11:51 AM

re: the $10 for $75 gift card promo - keep in mind that typically after Thanksgiving they offer a similar $10 for $50 promo. Something to consider if you're not planning on using the gift cards right away.
Old 11-02-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

hariseldon,

Sometimes we forget to thank those that help us all.

Thanks for all you do!

ctyankee
Old 11-03-17, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
hariseldon,

Sometimes we forget to thank those that help us all.

Thanks for all you do!

ctyankee
Yes, indeed! Thanks, hari!
Old 11-04-17, 10:57 AM

Yes, we have to thank Hari for his efforts, and Laser Movies before him, for making this forum work.

In fairness to BN, I was surprised by seeing online discounts disappearing overnight on a lot of books I had on my to-get list. I checked Books-A-Million (about whom I'd largely forgotten after they closed their store where I live many, many years ago) and their listings for these books don't have an online discount, either. Apparently, the publishers no longer offers discounts to retail outlets. This is not something limited to BN. Like I say, the cover prices have gone up dramatically over the past few years to "price in" the 20-40% discounts offered online, so this is a pretty dramatic increase to go to full cover price.

Update: One of the books I was looking at got its online discount back. Also at BAM. Wonder if this is some sort of new thing where the book is full price for a while after its release?

Last edited by DoverMath; 11-06-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-06-17, 01:27 AM

I had something interesting happen to me in-store the other night. I was actually in there to buy a book off the bargain (remainder) tables up front, and I was going to use this week's 15% off coupon. Hey, every little bit helps, right?

So I took the book up to the register. It was supposed to be $4.98, but it rang up for $2.49! However, the coupon would not apply. The cashier gave me some BS about now coupons might not work on bargain titles. I got the book for cheaper than I had anticipated anyway, so that didn't bug me, but has anybody else had any problems using coupons on bargain or other discounted items? (And boy, has my local store started to have discount tables year round. It used to be after Xmas to reduce inventory, but now it seems to last all year.)

I don't think I see any exclusions in the fine print. Just another thing to keep an eye on and (maybe) be disappointed in from BN.
Old 11-06-17, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I've never had a problem using coupons on discounted books.

I have, in the past, successfully stacked the Black Friday 30% off coupon with the 50% off Black Friday sale books like The World of Ice & Fire. But they could be tightening up their coupon policy like they did with Criterion titles last year.
Old 11-09-17, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

15% Single Item
Store Coupon C9A7K7R and Online Code FALLNOV17
Expires November 13, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time online or at Barnes & Noble stores end of business November 12, 2017

Still excludes Criterions
Old 11-12-17, 02:00 PM

Black Friday 2017

Watch this space:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/bla...r-monday-deals

No word on coupons yet, but last year they didn't have this page active so early in the season.
Old 11-13-17, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

10% off $35/ 15% off $75/ 20% off $150 -- excludes most Criterions
YESANDYES
Expires 11/15/2017 2:59am ET
Old 11-13-17, 01:03 AM

Anybody have any luck using the "other" coupons if you got the postal Member mailer? There are 20% coupons for children's picture books and mysteries as well as the two generic 20%s. I am a mystery reader and I tried using that one but it does say only on "eligible" titles, but it doesn't say what those are on the website. I think I'm going to try in-store this week with that one. I added something to my cart and the code wouldn't apply. Kind of a crappy way to run a sale if you have to work so hard to figure out what's eligible.
Old 11-13-17, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by js2shops
I had something interesting happen to me in-store the other night. I was actually in there to buy a book off the bargain (remainder) tables up front, and I was going to use this week's 15% off coupon. Hey, every little bit helps, right?

So I took the book up to the register. It was supposed to be $4.98, but it rang up for $2.49! However, the coupon would not apply. The cashier gave me some BS about now coupons might not work on bargain titles. I got the book for cheaper than I had anticipated anyway, so that didn't bug me, but has anybody else had any problems using coupons on bargain or other discounted items? (And boy, has my local store started to have discount tables year round. It used to be after Xmas to reduce inventory, but now it seems to last all year.)

I don't think I see any exclusions in the fine print. Just another thing to keep an eye on and (maybe) be disappointed in from BN.
When I was in the process of debating the fine-print with one of the cashiers they stated that with the exception of the member discount, coupons were no longer going to be accepted for *anything* that was discounted.

Last edited by skippy3elf; 11-13-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 06:56 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

http://barnesandnoblekitchen.com/

Interesting link for BN's possible future.
Old 11-15-17, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by g

So they want to pivot to the industry that has a higher failure rate than any other on earth. Ok, sure!
Old 11-15-17, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by g

BN Kitchen - home of the $14 grilled cheese sandwich... wait, what?

This looks like a competitor to Applebee's. All the Applebee's where I live closed recently. I am not sure BN needs to be in the casual dining space. It's not their expertise, and even people who know what they're doing have trouble in the restaurant industry. The cookie-cutter casual-dining trend seems to have already peaked. I commend them for not being static, and trying new things, but the low-margin, high-capex restaurant business doesn't seem like a good fit for a commodity entertainment business. But no one asked me. Hopefully in all this they didn't forget Black Friday was next week.
Old 11-15-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by skippy3elf
When I was in the process of debating the fine-print with one of the cashiers they stated that with the exception of the member discount, coupons were no longer going to be accepted for *anything* that was discounted.
That would pretty much end my continued patronage at Barnes & Noble. I often buy from their clearance section and occasionally use coupons.

Barnes & Noble is going to have to drop prices if they want to abandon coupons.
Old 11-15-17, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DoverMath
Don't worry - you'll get a buy-one-get-one free coupon every time you make a purchase at BN (like they do currently with the cookies)
Old 11-15-17, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That would pretty much end my continued patronage at Barnes & Noble. I often buy from their clearance section and occasionally use coupons.

Barnes & Noble is going to have to drop prices if they want to abandon coupons.
Yeah - if there is a bad decision to be made, BN seems to make it. With Amazon starting to open brick and mortar stores, I think they need to accept the "new world" of media retail and compete using the same rules their competitors are using.
Old 11-15-17, 08:02 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DoverMath
People seem more willing to pay for overpriced food than overpriced books and videos.. I checked the Yelp reviews for the Folsom, Ca store and most were positive on the experience there.

Last edited by g; 11-15-17 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

15% Off One Item excludes Criterions
Store Coupon P7F3D4C and Online Coupon LEAVES2017
Exp November 20, 2017 at 2:59am ET online , and at Barnes & Noble stores November 19, 2017 at close of business.
Old 11-16-17, 02:00 PM

Activist investor draws up plan to take Barnes & Noble private: WSJ

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ba...-idUSKBN1DG2Q7

"(Reuters) - Sandell Asset Management Corp, an activist investor in Barnes & Noble Inc, has proposed a transaction that would take the bookseller private with the help of current shareholders and debt financing, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday. "

There's almost zero chance of this happening, of course, but the "and debt financing" part is what took down the Family Christian Stores bookstore chain and more recently Toys-R-Us, so no matter what state B&N is in right now, it's better off than in the hands of private equity raiders.
Old 11-16-17, 04:28 PM

Re: Activist investor draws up plan to take Barnes & Noble private: WSJ

no matter what state B&N is in right now, it's better off than in the hands of private equity raiders.
Depends on whether or not you believe in euthanasia. When was the last time that a commodity retailer successfully reinvented itself in order to return to a state of robust profitablity? (Apple did sort of, but they did it by creating an entirely new market and I can't really see BN managing that)

Last edited by skippy3elf; 11-16-17 at 04:38 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.