Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by lumberjack
I may regret my large BNJUNE30 purchase last week. I ordered 22 items total (16 books, five DVDs and one CD). Most of the items were in stock, but I had a handful of preorders. Currently, the last preorder to release in my order is in December (and it's possible it will be get pushed back even further).

It's been quite some time since I placed a BN order with a mixture of in-stock and preorder items. I remember them splitting shipments up and not holding onto the entire order until every item has been released. Anyone have recent experience with an order such as mine? What should I expect to happen? Thanks.
If you are a member, you could have selected to ship each item when available, and you wouldn't have been charged extra. Assuming you aren't a member, you are likely SOL. You could cancel your December item, which should force everything to ship sooner (whatever your other latest PO is). Note that the date will NOT change on the screen. I tried this, and the date never updated. But I would have to think they would ship sooner, otherwise you could easily call B&N and have them force it to ship (as long as you have no other upcoming pre-ordered items)
Old 06-24-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris-K
Can't help thinking this is what Borders did before it went under - lots of coupons.
I think you're right. Hopefully normal people (who aren't working the system like us) are using these new coupons, increasing their revenue enough to keep them afloat.
Old 06-25-16, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borders had been giving out coupons with reckless abandon for years and years before going out of business. They're "membership" was completely free (at least until the very end when they started trying to sell a 'premium' service to people who would pay, but that was like 6 months before they went under). Prior to that all you had to do was sign up via email (with as many email accounts as you wanted) and you would get a steady stream of 25-40% off coupons.
Old 06-25-16, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Borders was regularly selling media at below wholesale pricing with some of the larger coupon discounts. That was unsustainable.
Old 06-25-16, 11:08 AM

Borders did not exist where I lived, so I never knew anything about them. But they went away in 2011. Since then, MSRP (the cover price of books or list price of movies) has gone up dramatically. I calculated the amount book prices went up in the past year or two, and the percent increase is almost the same as BN's sales increase they reported in their last fiscal year. Right now, 20% is the new 15% for coupons, but prices are so much higher I think BN is going to be fine. The store is becoming a worse deal every year with the high prices and anemic 10% member discount. Even with a coupon, that rarely gets the price down to the online discount. I used to be 50/50 for store/online purchases, but buy almost everything online now. When I go to the store, though, people seem content to pay the full MSRP for items. I guess casual buyers don't care. Only a few of us seem to max out the discounts because we buy more than most people. But BN seems to still be making money on what they sell even with the coupons.
Old 06-26-16, 11:55 PM

Borders had issues with everything from management to supply chain to opening too many stores, just to begin with. I'm surprised someone hasn't written a book about them yet, ironically. I'm sure there's been a ton of MBA white papers done about them.

1. They went through upper management like crazy. Constant new vision at the CEO level is a bad sign.
2. They were late to the e-commerce and e-reader game, and both were terrible.
3. They had distribution centers to process and sticker product with their own barcode/SKU- this had to cost them a mint in labor and time.
4. They opened too many stores too quickly and had so much product purchased on debt when they went under, it wasn't even funny.

I don't know what is going to happen to BN. I do know that shopping in-store has become a frustrating experience from both a selection and price standpoint, but I love bookstores and will miss them if they go. Publishing is going to have to find SOME way to deliver books besides Amazon or e-readers.

Having known a few folks who have worked there, I can tell you that what's keeping BN afloat are the cafes- it's one of the few unique features they have left, and the markup is incredible.
Old 06-27-16, 08:31 AM

I think the best time for Borders was when they were tied to the Amazon website. When that partnership dissolved, that's when it seemed like their decline began.

As for BN, hopefully those casual folks who don't mind paying full MSRP will keep it afloat for those of us who maximize our coupon savings for at least for a few more years.
Old 06-27-16, 10:35 AM

Well I guess I was wrong again. Never mind.
Old 06-28-16, 12:38 PM

more mailer coupons

Got another mailer today. This is the third or fourth one this year. BN is changing their approach. The 20% coupons used to be as rare as diamonds (if you didn't get the e-mails!). Now they're saturating them. The coupons expire Friday, July 29 which is strange. Coupons don't normally expire on Friday.
Old 06-30-16, 08:30 AM
Cool New Member

Does anyone have any extra 20% or 15% coupons?
Old 06-30-16, 08:37 PM

I'd greatly appreciate 2 or 3 coupons if any are available. As always, I thank you.
Old 07-01-16, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
BNFIREWORK code seems active
This coupon is off of one item, not the whole order, but is definitely reusable. Best deal since Black Friday/Cyber Monday if you're a member and get free shipping. Probably the best deal until the next Black Friday.
Old 07-01-16, 09:14 AM

Definitely just off one item. Also, it doesn't work on Blu-rays or DVDs.
Old 07-01-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Used it to get a nice discount off of a book.
Old 07-01-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Finally got my "expedited shipping" order from the 30% off + 40% off deal I placed about 14 days ago.
Spread across three different packages which all showed up at the same time.

Their expedited shipping is a joke. At least everything was well packed this time, with wads of paper to keep the stuff from jostling around too much. No issues either with dents, dings, or loose discs as far as I can see. The time factor doesn't bother me too much since I'm mostly paying the membership fee for access to better coupons as well as no threshold free shipping anyway.
Just glad that there's no damage.
Old 07-02-16, 01:06 PM

Holy smokes - B&N closed its Citicorp Plaza location in NYC! I went there yesterday to do some pre-Criterion scouting and was met with a large sign saying they had closed on 6/30. That was one of their Flagship stores in NYC. Wonder if that a sign of more consolidation/cutting losses.
Old 07-02-16, 02:00 PM

Store closings aren't always the retailer's idea, so you can't read too much into them. Sometimes whoever they're leasing from doesn't want them to renew the lease, so the same space can be used for something more profitable. That happened to the Books-A-Million that used to be near me. B-A-M likes low-rent strip malls, and their landlord made improvements and brought in more upscale retailers.
Old 07-03-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The expedited shipping is odd -- some people get their shopments in 48 hrs or less and others it's normal shipping,
It's likely due to which items get drop-shipped and which are serviced directly by B&N.
Old 07-03-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

UPDATED CODE POST from earlier to reflect new issues. Upcoming current and PRELIMINARY codes .

There is no way to tell if some/all/any these will work immediately after midnight on the dates they're supposed to go live, whether
the add-on type pre-orders will work, or if the Movies+Code discounts will be allowed for any/all until they go active.

There is no way to tell how fast the prices start changing after 12:01am ET on 7/5 -- maybe before 1am like normal, but it could be much slower.
Hopefully since it's on the backside of the holiday the IT guys will have this pre-set and not have to come in at 8am on Tuesday and catch up

These should be Universal codes (for all customers)

Get 20% Off $60 or more
BNTROPICAL July 7, 2016 at 12:01am to July 14, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time.

10% Off Orders of $35 to $49.99 or 15% Off Orders of $50 or More

BNSUNNY July 9, 2016 at 12:01am to July 14, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time NOTE CHANGE IN DATES

Get 25% Off $100 or more
BNSPARKLER July 12, 2016 at 12:01am to July 18, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time.

20% off $75+
BNJULY15 July 25, 2016 at 12:01am to August 3, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

Last edited by hariseldon; 07-05-16 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 05:16 PM

A word of warning -- I just noticed the language on the latest 8/40 store coupon is a bit messed up and has part of the online code T&C substituted for the critical paragraph.

Unless you have a clerk who is very familiar with the old coupon and uses it without question that may throw some cold water on it's use.
"$8 off one (1) DVD or Blu-ray with a BN.com Price of $40 or higher. The “BN.com Price” is the price at Checkout before taxes and shipping and handling charges are applied."

I think they finally closed the loop-hole. It used to say that the BN price to be considered for the $40 threshold was the price at the register before taxes and discounts had been applied. Not sure why they quote it as the 'BN.com' price. Probably to make it applicable to online orders as well.
Old 07-04-16, 05:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

JK2F1YBNSSE8 and bnfirework don't work for movies.

Seems that we'll have to wait for some 20% coupons to land or wait until the 7th to use the other ones? What codes were people hoping to use right at midnight tonight?
Old 07-05-16, 12:19 PM

BNFirework does not work for movies after it was updated/downgraded at the last minute from Whole Cart to Single Item
Thanks for posting that. I wondered what happened there.
Old 07-05-16, 11:23 PM

Well, I didn't want to believe it but it looks like B&N really did do away with the free 2 month trial membership. I just tried getting one using the "old method" and it no longer comes up as an option when trying to checkout with a new account. They still have the "info page" with the details, but that seems to be a vestigial organ that someone forgot to remove.
Old 07-05-16, 11:35 PM

Here's something official on that:

help.barnesandnoble.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45/kw/membership/related/1

"Please note: The Free 2-Month Membership program has ended and new enrollment is no longer available. Customers who have already signed up for the Free 2-Month Membership will continue to receive benefits through their 2-month term."
Old 07-06-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

A bit disconcerting -- they screwed with the BNSUNNY tiered coupon again and made it far worse.

Take 10% Off Orders of $75 to $124.99, 15% Off Orders of $125+

BNSUNNY July 9, 2016 at 12:01am to July 14, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time.

I'm not seeing any damage to the 2 better deals, but that was shocking unless their in the process of updating it more

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.