Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Old 07-15-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by hariseldon
On a side note -- is everything OK with Laser Movies? I know there were some real world issues a bit earlier, but he's been awfully quiet lately. I hope everything is OK
or at least improving.
Thanks for asking. Still dealing with the problems and unfortunately have less time for the forum because my mom passed away a few months ago. It has been a very hectic year months before and since her death. I'm in the process of eventually moving after I get everything else straightened out. I figure things will improve over time.
Old 07-15-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haven't ran across any information for new coupons next week yet. However there is supposed to be another round of 15% and 20% on July 30 through August 2. Seems like there should be something sooner though.

Here is one new online coupon for all customers.

Save $10 on a $75 or more order online with coupon BNSUN75
Expires 7/17 at 2:59am ET
Old 07-15-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Movies
Thanks for asking... It has been a very hectic year months before and since her death... I figure things will improve over time.
Thoughts are with you from here, too.
Old 07-15-15, 08:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Thoughts, prayers, and hugs with you Laser. Losing a parent is tough.
Old 07-15-15, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Condolences to LaserMovies. Saving a few dollars isn't that important in the larger scheme of things.
Old 07-15-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thoughts are with you Laser. Clearly, some things in life are more important than movie collecting.
Old 07-15-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

My mom passed away this year the day before Easter. Still trying to deal with it and some feelings of guilt about whether I could have done more for her during her last few years of life. My thoughts and prayers are with you all that have suffered through this.
Old 07-16-15, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

I think everyone here understands what you are going through and wishes you well, Laser.
Old 07-16-15, 12:50 AM

Laser, I lost my dad to cancer in 2012- had barely 6 weeks to say goodbye, thought we'd have more.
DVDs are great, but go see some flicks in a theater- being out amongst other folks having a good time can rub off on you. All the best!
Old 07-16-15, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by js2shops
Um, wow. I work for a major media retailer. I won't speak to how BN works internally, but based on what I know about how we do it, you'd be incorrect.

If you're dealing with a major book publisher, directly, then yes the stock returns ("credit") would be happening. Depends on how big the account is and how much product is ordered/selling every month. This is what killed Borders.

These days, I think most sales are initiated by the stores, not manufacturers. DVDs are not cars with massive incentives. Do you think Best Buy gets an incentive from Disney to push the latest release as a loss leader? They know people will most likely want it when it is a new release. They more likely get a better rate on a quantity of the title, for a limited time. They may also get other titles looped in at a better rate. Stores then make a lower profit margin for a while, taking a risk of unsold stock at the price they were hoping to move units on. The retail psychology studies show they will make it up on the back end if they can get customers to buy more than one thing- they profit and spending go up at a huge rate, exponentially for every item a customer buys.

This is why there is less and less in the way of remaindered DVDs at places like Big Lots. Less is being manufactured, less is being ordered by stores, and less is being sold to customers. The supply chain has gotten very lean- no one carries backstock in stores.

Whether you like it or not, Criterion is really a niche market. A couple of times a year BN gets a better deal from them or a vendor to move titles and generate interest. The margins are probably crazy high the rest of the year.

You want a real bloodbath? Take a look at the "back to black" movement for new vinyl lp releases. A company guessing wrong on an artist/title there leads to a ton of stock sitting around. The margins on it are crazy small. It's a niche market loss leader to get people to buy other stuff, like record shops making their cash on used LPs.
Thanks for your comments, though I believe it is less that I am "incorrect" than you have somewhat misunderstood my Retail 101 notes.

I can only speak to the promotions I set up with various retailers (Tower, Musicland, Wherehouse, Borders, etc.--most of whom are indeed now out of business) for 20 odd years.

In my experience the retailer would indeed approach the manufacturer/distributor with quarterly ad proposals (or as you say, “most sales are initiated by stores”). These involved healthy advertising buys (paid for by the manufacturer/distributor) as well as signage, in-store flyers, etc.—all paid for by the manufacturer/distributor. The retailer would also tack on various fees and commissions for designing and placement (e.g. I imagine Criterion is being charged something for the “redesign” of the website for the sale as well as for stickers, and placement of product on designated racks in various parts of the stores). The retailer also wanted deep discounting and special extended terms for spreading large quantities of product in the stores. Except for Costco I can’t name a retailer who did not demand generous return privileges for music and video in exchange for the generous spreads, though this may have changed.

Manufacturers always had the option to turn down a retailer’s ad proposal, but most wanted the extra business and would try to negotiate (somewhat) better terms--and now with the loss of so many retailers they have very little bargaining power!

Manufacturers/distributors always had Direct Marketing divisions which made deals with “non-traditional” retailers (supermarkets, gas stations, home shopping network, etc., etc.) and sold product on a non-returnable basis (at a significantly reduced price). But these divisions changed the UPC codes on the product or stamped them (e.g. “Manufactured by BMG Direct Marketing”) so they could not be returned to traditional retailers. (These are the products you see in the “10 CDs for a dollar” promotions to get you to join a club, etc.).

Retail Sales Promotions were always symbiotic--the Manufacturer buys generous spreads and prime product placement while the Retailer benefits from increased consumer traffic—but with declining sales such promotions have become less and less attractive. For instance, do you think Barnes & Nobles’ Ad Department is charging Criterion less for this year’s promotion than two years ago—even though they have significantly fewer stores now? And think about how you never can find any out-of-print Criterion titles lingering in a store months after the official “recall” date. B & N Corporate regularly sends out “Returns” lists for employees to pull product well in advance of it no longer being available for credit.

“Remaindered” or “cut out” CDs, DVDs, etc. was always a different kettle of fish. The product usually had to be “processed” (cut or stickered with a new barcode) before it made its way out into stores again and Specialty Manufacturers (like Harmonia Mundi U.S.A. for instance) usually made bulk deals to get rid of this product far from where it might negatively impact regular sales—i.e. you’re never going to see a Criterion “cut-out” anywhere their product is normally sold.

I’m curious as to whether anyone has yet investigated Criterion’s Wholesale Option—as stated on their HELP page:

19. Do you offer wholesale pricing?

For information on wholesale discounts, please contact Jon Mulvaney at [email protected]. Wholesale sales are final and nonreturnable.

NOTE how for this “direct marketing” option “Wholesale sales are final and nonreturnable.”
Old 07-17-15, 01:21 AM

BHCollector-

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said manufacturers/publishers have lost a lot of their bargaining power, at least on pricing. They still control the supply chain!

I work for Half Price Books. We deal with your usual intermediaries (Baker & Taylor, etc.) and buying directly from publishers as well. We started selling limited stock of new releases and bestsellers about 3 years ago. From what I've heard from district (and up) inventory managers and buyers, we don't get much, if any in the way of returns on product. What's even worse is we often have a very hard time getting reorders if something is really hot and we didn't put in a big enough initial order. I can't tell you how many times I've told someone up the chain we need more of something and we can't order it...we'll shuffle titles over from a store where they weren't selling as well. Even though we have 130 stores and are a large, semi-national chain, you probably need the buying power of a BN or Walmart/Target to get the kind of deals cut that matter, even to get in line to buy more of a title. It's painful watching a title that doesn't sell- I don't know the exact numbers in any way, except that in general, we take a bath on it. Like I said, it's especially bad for LPs- we sell a limited number of new releases there as well.

It's interesting seeing what we get POP or promotional displays for- we have a nice one for Go Set a Watchman. It's selling like bananas, but we could probably dip them in uranium and they'd be going out the door.

I personally have seen OOP Criterions in my local BN store- Le Samourai being one. I was surprised, to say the least. You will never see Criterions on cutout, though it may have happened with titles that were drastically over-printed like Chasing Amy. I swear that I've seen that at some point at a cutout price, maybe someplace like Oldies.com or Daedalus Books.

We also sell a ton of remainder/cutout DVDs at HPB that our buyers pickup on that market. It's interesting seeing what gets slashed and what gets stickered over. Sometimes neither!
Old 07-17-15, 08:47 AM

The BN web site has not been working for me all weekend. I can't log on to my account. I can't put items in my shopping bag.

Last edited by DoverMath; 07-19-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-19-15, 10:46 AM

Anyone seen any B&N codes beyond 10% off J3P4X4Y for members?

I think B&N is trying to protect its margin on the new Harper Lee novel Go Set a Watchman so we may not see anything better than 10% for the rest of the Criterion Sale.
Old 07-19-15, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bhcollector
Anyone seen any B&N codes beyond 10% off J3P4X4Y for members?
LaserMovies said the next batch of 15/20% off coupons is set for the weekend of Aug 1. Nothing else is active at this time that I know of. The last batch of snail mail coupons for members was going to expire at the end of this month, so they're still active if you have any.

This time of year is slow for coupons at BN, so I think it's just a coincidence with any sales or new releases. After Labor Day, things usually pick up going into the holiday season. (And BN is hardly moving product with their web site not working.)
Old 07-19-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DoverMath
LaserMovies said the next batch of 15/20% off coupons is set for the weekend of Aug 1. Nothing else is active at this time that I know of. The last batch of snail mail coupons for members was going to expire at the end of this month, so they're still active if you have any.

This time of year is slow for coupons at BN, so I think it's just a coincidence with any sales or new releases. After Labor Day, things usually pick up going into the holiday season. (And BN is hardly moving product with their web site not working.)
There should also be some more $5/$50 and $10/$75 online coupons coming.
Old 07-20-15, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

OT, had a question regarding BN.com returns. I placed an order for a book on the website, and it didn't look like it went through a couple times, and then I cleared my cookies and it went through. I only ever got one order confirmation email. So they I get the order, and I got 3 packages! I guess it actually did go through those first two times.
Anyway, what I'm wondering is, can I just put 'Refused - Return to Sender' on the packages and return it and get a refund, or am I better off doing something else? The closest store isn't all that close, so in-store return isn't really an option.
Old 07-20-15, 02:40 PM

Day three of "Internal Server Error" - not being able to log in or order anything from the bn.com web site. I first noticed it Saturday when I tried to look up an old order and couldn't log on. The error varies, but the result is the same. The new web site is a debacle, and I don't understand why they don't revert back to the one that worked until this one can be tested more than not at all.
Old 07-20-15, 05:10 PM

I get one of these two: "An unexpected error occurred during the request. Your request may or may not have been completed. Please try again in the future. If this problems persist, please contact customer support." (in the sign on popup) or "Internal Server Error - Read. The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request." (when I try to go to the account page or add to my cart).

These are both server errors. If it's just me, I think BN is trying to send me a message
Old 07-20-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Save $5 on a $50 or more order online with coupon BNRMN721
Expires 7/23 at 2:59am ET

Save $10 on a $75 or more order online with coupon BNSUN10
Old 07-21-15, 01:36 AM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Movies
Save $5 on a $50 or more order online with coupon BNRMN721

Save $10 on a $75 or more order online with coupon BNSUN10
Tried both and got: "There was an error adding the promotion to the order."

Are these member only coupons?
Old 07-21-15, 06:05 AM

I had the idea to use my laptop to log in to BN's web site. It worked. After I did that, my desktop worked again. So it's just me, not all of BN. In fairness to them, I seem to have triggered some weird edge case. I work with web software, too, and know you can't possibly test everything, so I'll give them a mulligan on this one.
Old 07-21-15, 02:56 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks! Signing in did the trick.
Old 07-21-15, 10:51 PM

I assume you can only use each coupon one time per account. Has anybody had luck using a different payment method or signing in as a guest to complete a second order?
Old 07-22-15, 03:51 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Hot off the presses and certainly I'd like a couple more people to confirm this, but I just talked with my store after reading a post elsewhere

CRITERION 50% OFF SALE EXTENDED THROUGH AUGUST 3
Visited my local store today and can confirm that a sign was posted in the Criterion sections that the sale is extended through August 3rd.
Old 07-22-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like the sale extension will coincide with the expected next round of store and online coupons that are coming July 30th. Should be the last chance to use coupons with the sale.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.