Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Old 04-27-20, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by cmleidi
They really are being stingy with the coupons. You would think they would do everything to get people to buy items. Instead, they are doing the exact opposite.
I bought a book recently and did curbside pickup. My order came with a coupon for $5 off a "buy online, pick up in store" order of $25 or more. The promotion code is PICKUP. Some exclusions apply, but I was able to use this code and get $5 off my next curbside pickup order. The offer ends on May 3, 2020.

Last edited by jpwilkin; 04-27-20 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jpwilkin
I bought a book recently and did curbside pickup. My order came with a coupon for $5 off a "buy online, pick up in store" order of $25 or more. The promotion code is PICKUP. Some exclusions apply, but I was able to use this code and get $5 off my next curbside pickup order. The offer ends on May 3, 2020.
Are they doing Curbside pickup in New Jersey stores? I have recently ordered a few books online before my membership ran out, but it seemed like curb side was not available for the store I usually go to. Everything I ordered said not available for pickup, for new release books. I didn't bother to call because it's just easier to get it in the mail. At least you got coupon. I'm still debating to renew my membership, as I mostly used to at the cafe, as well as instore books and blurays with membership coupons.
Old 04-27-20, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by rob559
Are they doing Curbside pickup in New Jersey stores? I have recently ordered a few books online before my membership ran out, but it seemed like curb side was not available for the store I usually go to. Everything I ordered said not available for pickup, for new release books. I didn't bother to call because it's just easier to get it in the mail. At least you got coupon. I'm still debating to renew my membership, as I mostly used to at the cafe, as well as instore books and blurays with membership coupons.
I think curbside pickup is available at certain B&N stores, but not all. Of the 3 stores near me in western NY, I think only two are doing curbside pickup. The other store is in a mall and the mall is closed. You don't need a paper coupon to use this offer. Just use the code PICKUP when you order online and choose "pick up in store." All 3 stores near me are closed to in-person shoppers, but as I said, two of them will bring your order out for curbside pickup.
Old 05-08-20, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by cmleidi
They really are being stingy with the coupons. You would think they would do everything to get people to buy items. Instead, they are doing the exact opposite.
They really are being stingy. I receive promotional emails from them every day but haven't had a coupon in almost three weeks.

Just got a mother's day promotional email but no coupon. Sheesh.
Old 05-11-20, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rammble
They really are being stingy. I receive promotional emails from them every day but haven't had a coupon in almost three weeks.

Just got a mother's day promotional email but no coupon. Sheesh.
This is just speculation on my part, but because of the Lockdown, B&N are probably not making much money with only online sales. So coupons will be less of a profit for them. B&N has been struggling along time and now with new owners, this is not a good situation the longer the LOCKDOWN continues. I could be wrong
Old 05-11-20, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if Barnes & Noble is one of the casualties of the pandemic.

They've been "on the edge" for years now, and this is something that could finally push them over it.
Old 05-16-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It wouldn't surprise me if Barnes & Noble is one of the casualties of the pandemic.

They've been "on the edge" for years now, and this is something that could finally push them over it.
It's definitely something I've thought about. The new owners were still figuring out how to turn the chain profitable when the extended lockdown hit from Covid-19.

I think it will end up depending on commercial real estate landlords and their leniency over the coming months.
Old 05-23-20, 06:27 PM

Received 529 Likes on 377 Posts

Are there any current coupons for online orders?
Old 05-23-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

None I've heard of.
I saw Welcome20 at one of the deals site as a one time 20% one item code, but it never worked for me. It's possible that's supposed to be a NEW MEMBER one time use code.

Memorial Day was never one of their big holidays anyway
Father's Day and Mothers Day tended to be bigger for them and MD got trampled, We'll see what they do for FD and the 40% Sale that normally runs that week.

Of the July Criterion is the big deal (or used to be) and the last couple year the Arrow US 50% sale has overlapped that sale.
Old 05-31-20, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Not sure how old this post is but it is currently on the B&N website.

An Update for Our Customers About Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Coronavirus (COVID-19) is impacting our country in an unprecedented way. We are proud to be members of your communities and understand that at this time we all face unique challenges. As we begin to reopen our stores, our priority is the safety of our customers and booksellers. Here are a few of the steps we are taking to resume serving our communities.

Our Stores

Most of our stores have been closed to the public to maintain the safety of our customers and booksellers. We are evaluating carefully, on a store-by-store basis, when to reopen based on state guidelines and when we are confident that we may do so safely both for our customers and booksellers.

Those stores that are opened will have numerous safety precautions in place, including:
  • Enhanced cleaning throughout the day and reduced store hours;
  • Social distancing measures of at least six feet for customers and booksellers, including a limit to the number of customers at any one time, and in-store signage;
  • Protective barriers at our registers to separate customers and booksellers;
  • Booksellers are always required to wear face masks;
  • All booksellers have temperature checks before shifts;
  • Designated spaces are marked for customers to deposit any books they have browsed, for these then to be taken out of circulation for sanitizing;
  • Cafés are limited to To-Go only service and BN Café App pickup;
  • Curbside delivery for Buy Online, Pick Up In Store orders
  • We will not be holding in store events but will continue with a variety of Virtual Events with authors and Storytime book readings available on BN.com, and via our social channels.
We appreciate your patience and support of these changes to the running of our stores.

Meanwhile, we are very pleased to let you know that we have been busy in each of our stores. We have moved the shelving and furniture - and just about every book in the store - to improve our appearance and to make browsing better. Bestsellers and new releases are given dedicated space; fiction, mystery, history and kids have been rearranged; most sections have been given a thorough review; and above all we have made a great effort to improve the assortment of books we stock. We really hope that you like what we have done.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our stores. We know that reading, as well as workbooks and educational toys and games, play an important role to keep us all engaged and connected, even as we have been isolating. We will be reopening carefully and conscientiously, and with the greatest appreciation for the support and dedication of our customers.

Please contact your local store for current operating hours. Store status and contact information is available here.

Online Orders

We understand not everyone will be able to visit a store at this time. BN.com is available for you to place orders 24/7. Our NOOK app is available to download for free on iOS and Android to access eBooks and digital magazines on your mobile device. Due to the current circumstances, we are taking extra care also to fulfill orders as safely as possible. This may result in delivery delays, but we are working hard to get your order to you as quickly as possible and at present we are working smoothly. We thank you for your business and we greatly appreciate your patience during this time.

International Orders

Due to the ongoing global impact of COVID-19, international shipping from the U.S. has been temporarily suspended to all countries except Canada, Australia, and U.S. Territories, and will result in delays or cancellations for some orders. Where possible, we are working to get your order to you as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Curbside Pickup for Online Orders

In most of our stores, including many of our stores that are closed to in-person shopping, we are offering curbside pickup for online orders. Please check here to confirm curbside pickup availability at your local B&N before placing your order online. Contact your participating B&N store for hours and additional details.

Our Cafés

Cafés that are open are serving on a To-Go or BN Café App pickup basis only. The B&N Cafés that are open are available for quick pickup of Starbucks coffee & beverages, Starbucks coffee bags, Harney & Sons tea tins, freshly baked cookies, savory sandwiches, and more. Please call your local B&N to confirm hours and availability.

Our Distribution Centers

In order to keep our employees and customers safe, we have substantially changed operations in our two Distribution Centers to follow the latest guidelines from the CDC and health officials. We have enhanced cleaning, including regular deep cleans. Social distancing is maintained by a number of measures, including reduced staffing, marked floors and changed spacing at work stations to keep people at least 6-feet apart, and removed turnstiles and break room seating. We conduct temperature checks before work shifts begin and require employees to stay at home if they feel ill or for any other reason are uncomfortable coming to work. Notice of these and other policies are posted throughout the facilities. We appreciate all the hard work and efforts of our staff in the Distribution Centers.
Old 05-31-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stores in the Dallas/Ft Worth area have reopened.
Old 06-07-20, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

I just purchased 3 clearance items at my local B&N and the transaction didn’t take the 10% off for all items for members. The cashier said that this is because the new policy is now that it will only take one discount, the one that gives the lowest price. Was anyone notified about this at all?
Old 06-07-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't read/heard anything about it, but there have been exclusions in the past on member discounts on certain sale categories - OTOH I haven't been in a store since early February. I remember a Christmas 50% Sale where none of those items allowed the member discsount so Clearance items that are already 50-80% off would seem to be a possible excluded category.

I'm going to guess the one discount rule isn't exactly the way it will work since so many items in store are 10-20-30% off regularly
If they are going to block 10% discounts on all sale titles like the 40 and 50% sales, then I'm going to somewhat regret re-upping last month b/c that leaves nothing.
Old 06-07-20, 03:21 PM

I don't know if this has recently been updated but here is the wording on the 10% discount now called everyday member discount per the B&N website.
If this mean the 10% discount can't be used with 40% off and 50% off blu rays or with coupons I will have no reason to renew my membership. The company was sold last year and we were expecting changes. Even when coupons weren't accepted, the 10% membership discount was. Now that doesn't appear to be the case.

2. CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

a) For the Everyday Member Discount, or other benefit to apply, the Membership account must be active and available at the time of purchase. Members will NOT be reimbursed retroactively for purchases made without an active and available Membership at the time of purchase.

b) The Everyday Member Discount is only valid on eligible purchases at any Barnes & Noble Store. The Everyday Member Discount is not available on products featured in certain designated promotions or sales, or on purchases of the following: products or services at BN.com; products or services at any Barnes & Noble College Bookstores or websites; Gift Cards; eGift Cards; NOOK devices; digital content (including but not limited to eBooks, digital magazines and periodicals); NOOK accessories; other hardware and electronics; software; Rosetta Stone product; downloadable audiobooks in MP3 or any other format; gift-wrapping fees; shipping and handling fees; Membership fees (new or renewal); or any printing costs associated with the Barnes & Noble Print Books on Demand service.

c) Where applicable, the Everyday Member Discount will be applied after all other eligible discounts and deductions are applied, except for coupons or where otherwise stated. Coupon discounts will be applied after the Member discount.

d) The Everyday Member Discount cannot be used in conjunction with any coupons or with any corporate or prearranged group discounts, unless specifically stated. Such exclusion includes the following, without limitation: Educator discounts; employee discounts; corporate or institutional discounts.

Last edited by Classic Films; 06-07-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I don't know if this has recently been updated but here is the wording on the 10% discount now called everyday member discount per the B&N website.
If this mean the 10% discount can't be used with 40% off and 50% off blu rays or with coupons I will have no reason to renew my membership. The company was sold last year and we were expecting changes. Even when coupons weren't accepted, the 10% membership discount was. Now that doesn't appear to be the case.

2. CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

a) For the Everyday Member Discount, or other benefit to apply, the Membership account must be active and available at the time of purchase. Members will NOT be reimbursed retroactively for purchases made without an active and available Membership at the time of purchase.

b) The Everyday Member Discount is only valid on eligible purchases at any Barnes & Noble Store. The Everyday Member Discount is not available on products featured in certain designated promotions or sales, or on purchases of the following: products or services at BN.com; products or services at any Barnes & Noble College Bookstores or websites; Gift Cards; eGift Cards; NOOK devices; digital content (including but not limited to eBooks, digital magazines and periodicals); NOOK accessories; other hardware and electronics; software; Rosetta Stone product; downloadable audiobooks in MP3 or any other format; gift-wrapping fees; shipping and handling fees; Membership fees (new or renewal); or any printing costs associated with the Barnes & Noble Print Books on Demand service.

c) Where applicable, the Everyday Member Discount will be applied after all other eligible discounts and deductions are applied, except for coupons or where otherwise stated. Coupon discounts will be applied after the Member discount.

d) The Everyday Member Discount cannot be used in conjunction with any coupons or with any corporate or prearranged group discounts, unless specifically stated. Such exclusion includes the following, without limitation: Educator discounts; employee discounts; corporate or institutional discounts.
Those sound like what I remember reading in the past. They've always had the language about certain promotions and the D section makes sense with the Educator discounts, etc already having a different type of member discount applied. It's how they decide what's
under the CERTAIN PROMOTIONS that always is a bit difficult. I don't really think we'll know until it gets here.
Old 06-07-20, 04:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we can no longer get an extra 10% off of sales items, specifically Criterion, then there is no reason for me to maintain the membership. I can just get them directly from Criterions flash sales and save my points for the gift card. And to be honest I haven't set foot in a B&N since last years sale. I liked the Acorn and BBC sales but I can usually find them as cheap elsewhere if I look hard enough. We shall see.
Old 06-07-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Criterion Sale has been my secondary sale -- 10% + being able to use 10-20) (up to 35% last Christmas) still easily best Criterion Flash even with the 9% Loyalty Discount and no tax issues, but I could easily live with Flash Sales if I had to.
The last couple years I've bought most of my March to July and Nov items at B&N, but the Dec-Feb and Aug-Oct items I've moved mostly to the Flash sale EXCEPT the big boxsets which I like being able to pick off the shelf and not ship, plus
the extra GC discounts make a big different in OOP price.

Arrow sales are nice, but ARROW Uk is usually better
British TV sales are nice (esp when they hit 60%+ Member discount), but at 50% there are equal deals

The 40% Off Bluray sales have been my main sales the last couple years hammering on those items that never get discounts -- 40%+10% + plenty of coupons and the discounted GC ends up net $8-9 after tax on the WAC.
I have cleaned up on WAC, Sony and Universal MOD, some SHout items, etc.
WAC 4/44 come close, but the other MOD items never seem to go on sale anymore. The Dec sale raised some alarms bells with far less coupons (now apparently none) and 1/3 to 1/2 of the ALLIED Vaughn sourced discs weren't discounted at all.
If that's a new pattern or esp new order of things then that really cuts into my purchases. Without the coupons I could live pretty easily, without hte member discount it starts to hurt, but if nothing is going to be 40% off at all in that group then
it's back to square one -- 4/44 sales on the single disc WAC and hoping Deep Discount had a sale and promo code at the same time. .
The following users liked this post:
Doc Moonlight (06-09-20)
Old 06-08-20, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

I still don't see anything on the terms of agreement that would have prevented me getting an additional 10% from the order. There's no wording about the discount not applying to clearance items.
Old 06-08-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I still don't see anything on the terms of agreement that would have prevented me getting an additional 10% from the order. There's no wording about the discount not applying to clearance items.
There;s a catch-all phrase unfortunately that can be used for just about anything: "The Everyday Member Discount is not available on products featured in certain designated promotions or sales"

FWIW, it is similar to deals and promotional discounts many other retailers apply to "Clearance" titles including Amazon Prime. I don't know if it's new policy, something on just the group of items you bought or something else.
Coupons have usually been blocked on such things and there have been groups/categories where the member discount hasn't applied in the past esp with remaindered books, 60-80% off sales, etc so it's not a huge leap
Old 06-08-20, 02:48 PM

Have the terms for the 10% coupon always said "The Everyday Member Discount cannot be used in conjunction with any coupons " ?
The only time I remember being denied a 10% off for members was when I ordered something on the website to pick up in store. They said that this was counted as an online order and the 10% off doesn't work online.. Is that still true when the stores are closed and curbside pickup is your only option at the store?

Last edited by Classic Films; 06-08-20 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Have the terms for the 10% coupon always said "The Everyday Member Discount cannot be used in conjunction with any coupons " ?
The only time I remember being denied a 10% off for members was when I ordered something on the website to pick up in store. They said that this was counted as an online order and the 10% off doesn't work online.. Is that still true when the stores are closed and curbside pickup is your only option at the store?
I think (d) is about a specific type coupon designated for GROUPS, not a general coupon like seems to be implied in

(c) Where applicable, the Everyday Member Discount will be applied after all other eligible discounts and deductions are applied, except for coupons or where otherwise stated. Coupon discounts will be applied after the Member discount.

I'm pretty sure the language is D speaking about specialty programs has been in previou T&C -- or least something similar. I have been in line behind folks using the Educator Discounts and they've already been denied Member Discounts and
even use of std coupons. I have seen coupons which have been specifically ties to the Educator program as well which would not work with normal memberships

I don't have a copy of the 2016-2017 T&C to compare the exact language.

It all becomes problematic when you have so many disparate type Memberships or Groups within a sing;e retailer. It makes a T&C trying to make them all play nice together nearly impossible to write without making it an encyclopedia
I really don't think we're going to know how the things going to work until it gets here. Unfortunately it may be back into the 8/40coupon realm and the store to store or even intra-store manager/manager YMMV that those earlier Criterion Sales sometimes devolved into.

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-08-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 07:52 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Deal on B and N giftcards at Kroger stores. Load coupon at Kroger digital coupons until june 16

Save 10% off BARNES & NOBLE

when you buy ONE (1) BARNES & NOBLE Gift Card totaling $50 or more.

Offer excludes $10 BARNES & NOBLE Gift Cards. Product and offer may not be available in all states.

Limit of one coupon per household. Digital Coupons and paper coupons may not be combined on the purchase of a single item. Specially marked items, such as Clearance or Manager’s Specials may not be eligible for Digital Coupons.

Exp. Jun. 16
Old 06-08-20, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by g

Deal on B and N giftcards at Kroger stores. Load coupon at Kroger digital coupons until june 16

Save 10% off BARNES & NOBLE

when you buy ONE (1) BARNES & NOBLE Gift Card totaling $50 or more.

Offer excludes $10 BARNES & NOBLE Gift Cards. Product and offer may not be available in all states.

Limit of one coupon per household. Digital Coupons and paper coupons may not be combined on the purchase of a single item. Specially marked items, such as Clearance or Manager’s Specials may not be eligible for Digital Coupons.

Exp. Jun. 16
More direct than a reseller but limited to one per account.

A different offer
I just ordered $100 Happy Teen card with an AMEX OFFER and the $15 rebate has already been applied -- twice this cycle. My card adn my wife's card had the offer and it worked for each. Had to order direct from HappyCards.com so need to wait for shipping, but it worked fine last year with the same offer -- just can't remember how long it took to get the cards, but I think around 10-14 days. I've done Happy Card deals with Kroger and Publix (5-15 off up to a $100), but I can't remember them ever doing a direct B&N Gift Card. If I had either of them nearby it would be nicer. I really miss the Family Dollar $25 for $20 Christmas offers, I used to load up of them in Dec, but no matter how mnay I bought I never had any left by the end of July.
Old 06-12-20, 08:38 AM

The local Barnes and Noble store opened yesterday but it limited the number of customers in the store to 40% capacity.
People had to queue up with social distancing to get into the store.
I couldn't sit to read a book because there weren't any chairs anymore.
And the cafe was closed.
I didn't spend too much time in the store knowing that there was a line of people waiting to get in.

I have a question.
I bought the British TV show "Blood: Series 2" on DVD.
It was listed for $40 but it was on sale for 30% off so it was $28.
It rang up for $28 but I didn't get the additional 10% membership discount.
I remember getting the additional 10% membership discount on top of the sale price.
When I asked the cashier, she told me that she didn't know because the cash register would automatically ring up the price.
I talked to the manager and he told me that the 10% membership discount was only for non-sale items.
(The online price was 20% off so I'm wondering if the 10% membership discount was built into the store price as it was 30% off.)
Has anybody encountered this problem?
Thank you very much.

Old 06-12-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chopin100
The local Barnes and Noble store opened yesterday but it limited the number of customers in the store to 40% capacity.
People had to queue up with social distancing to get into the store.
I couldn't sit to read a book because there weren't any chairs anymore.
And the cafe was closed.
I didn't spend too much time in the store knowing that there was a line of people waiting to get in.

I have a question.
I bought the British TV show "Blood: Series 2" on DVD.
It was listed for $40 but it was on sale for 30% off so it was $28.
It rang up for $28 but I didn't get the additional 10% membership discount.
I remember getting the additional 10% membership discount on top of the sale price.
When I asked the cashier, she told me that she didn't know because the cash register would automatically ring up the price.
I talked to the manager and he told me that the 10% membership discount was only for non-sale items.
(The online price was 20% off so I'm wondering if the 10% membership discount was built into the store price as it was 30% off.)
Has anybody encountered this problem?
Thank you very much.
In the past the 10% would have applied automatically to that item. The post from Red Hood above may be something critical if that's going to be the case going forward and it really is going to affect
all discounted items and not just a few groups to items

I know with the 40% off bestseller list item, the member discount was built into the price and there were a few specialty sales where that was affected, but never just a simple Everyday 20-30% off item.
This could well be a new policy and a very poor choice honestly if members will basically be limited to the same price as non members and if the only thing the Member discount will apply to is MSRP items.

Hopefully this is just a computer issue and a result of the stores being shut down for months. I know the last items I bought instore in February the discount was still applying normally on items that were already 30-40% off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.