Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Old 10-30-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by illennium
So will there be any (non-AmEx) 20% or above coupons to use for the Criterion sale?
Probably. They have been alternating the 20% member coupons about every other week. I'm expecting a new batch next week. I'm hoping even some 25% coupons will start showing up soon. Last year some started showing up in early November.
Old 10-31-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Probably. They have been alternating the 20% member coupons about every other week. I'm expecting a new batch next week. I'm hoping even some 25% coupons will start showing up soon. Last year some started showing up in early November.
Thank you. I guess I will wait to see if any coupons show up before placing any orders. My wish list for this sale is around 26 titles.
Old 10-31-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by illennium
Thank you. I guess I will wait to see if any coupons show up before placing any orders. My wish list for this sale is around 26 titles.
I just saw information for several new 20% coupons coming later in the week from November 3-7. Also a new $8 blu-ray/DVD coupon is coming. This could be a very interesting week with coupons. I saw a coupon information for 30%, 40%, and 50% off one item. Also a 50% book coupon. Hopefully some of these materialize.

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop...&promoid=10082
50% Off One Item Coupon Details:

This coupon can be redeemed only once per customer per billing address at any Barnes & Noble retail store.

This coupon is valid at Barnes & Noble stores from November 3,2011 to November 6,2011 at close of business.

The 50% discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other eligible discounts, including (if applicable) the standard Member discount, are applied.

Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and eGift Cards); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, eGift Cards, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to NOOK Books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOKŪ devices and their related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts," (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) not valid at hp.bn.com (vi) not valid on applicable sales tax or shipping or handling expenses; (vii) may not be combined with any other coupon or promotional discount; and (viii) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at BN.com or Barnes & Noble College bookstores or websites. Barnes&Noble.com is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors. This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however,
http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop...&promoid=10056
50% off One Book Coupon Details:

For each customer, this coupon can be redeemed once at any Barnes & Noble retail store or once per billing address online at BN.com.

This coupon entitles you to 50% off the List Price of one (1) eligible Book. At BN.com, if no "List Price" displays on the item's product page, the discount will be applied to the "Online Price." If "List Price" displays on the item's product page and the current "Online Price" is greater than 50% off, then the "Online Price" will be applied. The "Online Price" is the price at Checkout before taxes, shipping and handling charges, and discounts are applied.

This coupon is valid at BN.com from November 2, 2011 at 12:01am to November 7, 2011 at 2:59am Eastern Time, and at Barnes & Noble stores from November 2, 2011 to November 6, 2011 at close of business.

Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and eGift Cards); (ii) not valid on past or pre-ordered purchases; (iii) not eligible on Textbooks or for purchases of any products other than Books (iv) not valid on products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts"; (v) not valid on shipping or handling expenses or applicable sales tax; (vi) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the bn.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); and (vii) not valid at Barnes & Noble College bookstores or websites. This coupon may not be combined with any other coupon or promotion or with the Educator Discount. Barnes&Noble.com is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors. This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor properly placed orders with valid methods of payment with sufficient funds placed prior to such change or discontinuation. Void where prohibited by law.
Old 10-31-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that always confuses me (and provides a sticking point for many BN clerks) is the line in the fine print about "may not be combined with any other coupon or promotional discount." So what the heck is a "promotional discount" anyway? I've had BN clerks tell me that means any sale discount, meaning all items in the Criterion 50% sale aren't illegible for the coupon.
Old 10-31-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I think it's understood based on the wording of many of their coupons that a "promotional discount" is any discount applied after the scanned price of the item.
Old 10-31-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
I think it's understood based on the wording of many of their coupons that a "promotional discount" is any discount applied after the scanned price of the item.
That's the way all the clerks at my favorite B&N understand/interpret it. I've used many coupons during the Criterion sales. I forgot to add...online coupons were accepted during the last Criterion sale.

Last edited by jwstl; 10-31-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I just saw information for several new 20% coupons coming later in the week from November 3-7. Also a new $8 blu-ray/DVD coupon is coming. This could be a very interesting week with coupons. I saw a coupon information for 30%, 40%, and 50% off one item. Also a 50% book coupon. Hopefully some of these materialize.
Where these Members only coupons or all customers?
Old 10-31-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tardo317
Where these Members only coupons or all customers?
Most likely member coupons. There were also a set of 15% coupons. The pattern of late is a pair of 20% coupons for members, and another pair of 15% coupons for all customers. Should have both store coupons and online codes.
Old 11-01-11, 02:12 AM

LASER, do you know when the new $8 off coupon is coming? Thanks for all your posts and help in this thread, btw.

edit: NEVERMIND. I saw the update for future coupons not yet active in your OP. Great!

Last edited by georgec; 11-01-11 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-01-11, 07:23 AM

So, I just preordered Godzilla and got the 2 free months of membership. Can I use member coupons at the store?
Old 11-01-11, 07:45 AM

I am going to try and use the $8 off $40 coupon after work. I'll get my receipt that shows I've used it before at that store to show the cashier it can be done.

If he rejects it, fine, I'll wait until the end of the week for some better coupons (preferably a 20% member so I can combine it with the $5 off $50). This way I'll still be able to get three for around $45 before tax. Still not as good as $30 before taxes, but it will do.

I usually can do better in store (can use my membership discount) so I'll wait for 12 Angry Men and The Lady Vanishes.
Old 11-01-11, 07:51 AM

Laser the 50% off coupon, is that going to be one of the mystery ones? I'd doubt they'd release a 50% off one during a 50% sale.
Old 11-01-11, 08:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Do you think the 8/40 will work on Three Colors once released?
Old 11-01-11, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Do you think the 8/40 will work on Three Colors once released?
It's very your mileage may vary. Technically the cashier can "make it work," but that really depends on the cashier and how far they're willing to go. Some people have reported success, but everyone's situation will be different.

Can't hurt to try though. Worst that can happen is they deny you.
Old 11-01-11, 08:27 AM

You should not have any problems with the $8 off $40 coupon. It's stated under the terms that it must be $40 before any discounts are applied, including POS discounts.
Old 11-01-11, 08:30 AM

You should not have any problems with the $8 off $40 coupon. It's stated under the terms that it must be $40 before any discounts are applied, including POS discounts.
Correct, it does state the Barnes & Noble selling price is the price before any discounts and taxes, but Criterions regularly sell for $39.99 which doesn't equal $40. This is why it is "your mileage may vary."

We're talking a pennies difference. Even though I was able to use the $8 off $40 coupon during a 40% off sale, some cashiers will not budge and people need to expect that. Although Criterions for $10 a piece sure sounds pretty amazing.

Some cashiers will try and tell you the selling price is $20 since the 50% has been applied. Politely remind them the coupon states the selling price is the price before any discounts and taxes. They could state the 50% off is a promotion and not a discount or they could tell you "Well the selling price is $39.99 and the coupon states a minimum price of $40." You could say "Bah it's only a pennies difference, try and scan it or manually enter it in."

At this point the cashier will either do what you say and somehow magically get the coupon to work with an override or flat out deny you.
Old 11-01-11, 08:31 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Yea..I was gonna try for it online.. No go then probably since its. 39.99. Hoepfully theres still an active 20% off..or I'll just use my AMEX
Old 11-01-11, 09:32 AM

^^Three Colors is a $79.99 title which is why he shouldn't have any trouble. You're right about it being very YMMV with $39.99 titles.
Old 11-01-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Louisville S
Laser the 50% off coupon, is that going to be one of the mystery ones? I'd doubt they'd release a 50% off one during a 50% sale.
No it's not a mystery coupon since the information says it's 50% off. I'm not sure who is going to get them and how B&N will distribute the coupons. These could also very well be one use codes and not generic coupons. I would suggest if you get B&N emails to at least watch your emails for anything from B&N a little more closely this week.
Old 11-01-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm assuming the American Express coupons are valid to use on Criterions in store during the 50% off sale?

I didn't see anything in the terms that would indicate they aren't...
Old 11-01-11, 11:52 AM
Cool New Member

^^Three Colors is a $79.99 title which is why he shouldn't have any trouble. You're right about it being very YMMV with $39.99 titles.
The 8/40 coupon only scans for items that scan in above $40 for the sale, that means the item needs to be MSRP of $80 and greater. I tried three different stores in july and all of them rejected the 8/40 coupon for eclipse and smaller sets. It worked in store for the Paul Robeson set (MSRP $100) and online for the BBS set. since it's not an automatic scan in stores for items in the MSRP 40-80 range, it's completely up to the clerks whether or not they 'make it work'
Old 11-01-11, 12:16 PM

The coupon clearly states that $40 must be the selling price BEFORE discounts are applied. If anyone gives you a hard time, just point that out to them. I've never had a problem using that coupon for $49.99 MSRP titles. Using it for $39.99 is a huge YMMV but I have had a few successes using it.
Old 11-01-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The coupon clearly states that $40 must be the selling price BEFORE discounts are applied. If anyone gives you a hard time, just point that out to them. I've never had a problem using that coupon for $49.99 MSRP titles. Using it for $39.99 is a huge YMMV but I have had a few successes using it.
The reality is that employees can choose to do whatever they want whether or not logic is on their side. I've had success and I've also been denied by both cashiers and managers. Arguing over fine print is not productive if the other person has already made up his/her mind and chooses not to be bound by the rules of logic.
Old 11-01-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by movielocke
The 8/40 coupon only scans for items that scan in above $40 for the sale, that means the item needs to be MSRP of $80 and greater. I tried three different stores in july and all of them rejected the 8/40 coupon for eclipse and smaller sets. It worked in store for the Paul Robeson set (MSRP $100) and online for the BBS set. since it's not an automatic scan in stores for items in the MSRP 40-80 range, it's completely up to the clerks whether or not they 'make it work'
The coupon does automatically scan for items priced $39.99. You just ran into an employee that didn't want to honor the coupon. They don't have to do anything to make the register accept the coupon except hit total.
Old 11-01-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
The coupon does automatically scan for items priced $39.99. You just ran into an employee that didn't want to honor the coupon. They don't have to do anything to make the register accept the coupon except hit total.
The excuse I've always gotten is that the price that scans at the register is 19.99 (or $25 for those regular Eclipse sets) and therefore I can't use the coupon.

I'm still hoping to use this on the Three Colors Trilogy at the BN that allowed me to use the old $5 off 20 coupon on the $19.99 bds.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.