DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/533548-barnes-noble-coupon-thread-part-2-a.html)

forumsmy 11-16-08 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES (Post 9066999)
They are overdue but I didn't see any new coupons issued for this week even though a bunch of them expired Monday. If someone is in a store I hope you can look for the flyer to confirm what it said. Are you sure it didn't advertise $25 in coupons like this one?

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pim...ntBonus_02.jpg

Might have been - does look familiar but I thought it was 25% (percent).

Sorry if I misled, guess wishful thinking, got excited and I was in a hurry.

If I am back to that store I will look again if it is still there.

Laser Movies 11-16-08 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by forumsmy (Post 9075523)
Might have been - does look familiar but I thought it was 25% (percent).

Sorry if I misled, guess wishful thinking, got excited and I was in a hurry.

If I am back to that store I will look again if it is still there.

I'm going to be near a B&N store tomorrow and if I have time I will see if they have anything mentioning a 25% coupon. I'm hoping some 25% or greater coupons may show up tomorrow since 6 more coupons are expiring tonight. B&N should have some new ones coming to replace the dwindling supply.

Laser Movies 11-17-08 12:12 PM

List updated. Sadly I didn't run across any 25% coupons. I did find another $5 off $10 purchase coupon that is similar to the one I found earlier that works for members.

Also ran across a new members coupon that depending on the items purchased will give you either a 50%, 30%, or 20% discount. Looks like the higher amounts are for certain categories of books, while the 20% appears it will work for DVDs and CDs. Seems like it is already active even though it's supposed to be valid from November 20 to November 24. Here's the link.

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop...2&promoid=5376

kenbenobi 11-17-08 01:25 PM

I thought the coupon wasn't working properly because it is only taking 10% off for my hardcover book... But then I realized it is 30% off of the LIST price. GRRRRR!!! I hate when they pull that bull...
Thanks again for the coupons Laser...

Laser Movies 11-17-08 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 9077668)
I thought the coupon wasn't working properly because it is only taking 10% off for my hardcover book... But then I realized it is 30% off of the LIST price. GRRRRR!!! I hate when they pull that bull...
Thanks again for the coupons Laser...

Doesn't look like it is really any better than a 10% coupon on DVDs listed at 30% either. Since I was in a hurry this morning I only had time to quickly check that the coupon was working with a $10 CD. I guess the only decent coupon for the week is the new $5 off $10 purchase. I'm beginning to wonder if B&N is going to offer any decent coupons this holiday season.

I also drew a blank for the possible 25% coupon flyer that was reported. I managed to go check out a B&N store in my area and found nothing. I only saw an ad for a 15% coupon. When I asked an employee about a 25% coupon they said they didn't have any.

Laser Movies 11-17-08 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack (Post 9068626)
I had the exact same thing happen to me, only reverse the titles. I ordered one of each of the three and received two Chronological Donalds. One of them had a UPC sticker outside of the shrinkwrap covering the correct UPC underneath. I figured I'd simply stop by a nearby B&N store on my way home from work today to do an exchange, but not one B&N location in Austin has the Annette disc in stock. So now I have to deal with B&N.com, and it's likely this will happen again.

I took a chance and ordered another copy of Chronological Donald last week. Received the new copy today and at least they sent the correct one this time around. No sticker over the UPC label, but the tin is full of dents. I will see if I can exchange it in store for a tin in better condition. At least the other tins for the other 2 DVDs were in good shape.

kenbenobi 11-17-08 08:38 PM

A note to anyone else who renews their account... Don't use the same email address! I just renewed, but can't use the 20% MC coupon since I already used it 1-2 months ago. Oops! I goofed...

BTW, I also ordered Chronological Donald. Now you guys got me worried. They attempted delivery on it, but I wasn't home. I should get it tomorrow...

Laser Movies 11-17-08 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 9078484)
A note to anyone else who renews their account... Don't use the same email address! I just renewed, but can't use the 20% MC coupon since I already used it 1-2 months ago. Oops! I goofed...

BTW, I also ordered Chronological Donald. Now you guys got me worried. They attempted delivery on it, but I wasn't home. I should get it tomorrow...

Can't you use the 20% renewal codes?

kenbenobi 11-17-08 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES (Post 9078596)
Can't you use the 20% renewal codes?

I used one when I renewed, yes. That was two days ago... You can only use it when you renew... Now I wanted to use the MC coupon, but can't. So there isn't a 20% off code that I can use anymore with my membership... If I had used a different email, I wouldn't be having this problem.

souvenir 11-18-08 12:26 AM

Is there any way to use those renewal coupons if you're on automatic renewal due to having the B&N Mastercard?

Laser Movies 11-18-08 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 9078729)
I used one when I renewed, yes. That was two days ago... You can only use it when you renew... Now I wanted to use the MC coupon, but can't. So there isn't a 20% off code that I can use anymore with my membership... If I had used a different email, I wouldn't be having this problem.

Yes but then you might not have been able to use the renewal coupon. Can't you use both renewal coupons? I was curious if you could use more than one. At least the MC coupon doesn't require a membership and you could start a new account to use it.

I wanted to use all the 20% coupons with my new membership but ran into a brick wall with the renewal coupons. My problem was I renewed on a different account that the membership expired earlier in the year. When I try using any of the renewal coupons it says I'm not eligible. I was able to use the members 20% again (since expired) along with the first $5/$10 coupon I used on another account that had a membership. I thought the renewals would work, but I guess there is a time limit.

Originally Posted by souvenir
Is there any way to use those renewal coupons if you're on automatic renewal due to having the B&N Mastercard?

I wouldn't see why not if you renewed, even if you did it automatically. I would believe that wouldn't make a difference. I thought I remembered reading an email from B&N that said you have about 2 weeks to use a renewal coupon after renewing a membership. So if you're within that time frame give it a try with one of the coupons to see if it works.

kenbenobi 11-18-08 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES (Post 9078851)
Yes but then you might not have been able to use the renewal coupon. Can't you use both renewal coupons? I was curious if you could use more than one. At least the MC coupon doesn't require a membership and you could start a new account to use it.

I wanted to use all the 20% coupons with my new membership but ran into a brick wall with the renewal coupons. My problem was I renewed on a different account that the membership expired earlier in the year. When I try using any of the renewal coupons it says I'm not eligible. I was able to use the members 20% again (since expired) along with the first $5/$10 coupon I used on another account that had a membership. I thought the renewals would work, but I guess there is a time limit.

The renewal coupon only works if you are paying for a membership at the same time. I used an email for an account that expired in January, so that part didn't screw you. I used a renewal coupon in the same order as my $25 fee, and got 20% off. If you renew, then try to use a renewal coupon 5 minutes later, it won't work. It has to be used in the same order. In-store, it is different. They'll let you use one if you recently renewed. But online, you can only use it at the exact moment that you are paying your $25 to renew (or join). Even so, I had already used the MC 20% off coupon on that email address, so I screwed myself out of the membership 10%. I had to use the military 6% link. So I really only lost 4% in the long run...

kenbenobi 11-18-08 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES (Post 9078851)
I thought I remembered reading an email from B&N that said you have about 2 weeks to use a renewal coupon after renewing a membership. So if you're within that time frame give it a try with one of the coupons to see if it works.

Unfortunately, this is not true. At least not online. I just tried it to confirm. None of the renewal coupons work for me on the account I just renewed. I then went to a different email, and tried them while adding a new membership to my cart, and they work.

GaryO 11-19-08 12:58 PM

I just have to say I'm really, really disappointed in B&N for not issuing any 20% off or better coupons (other than renewals) for the last several weeks. I just can't believe Black Friday is almost upon us and they've done zilch. I thought we'd get, at a minimum, a 25% off coupon code by now. I was opening for a 50% one, but now even a simple 20% off coupon would be nice.

Laser Movies 11-20-08 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 9079027)
Unfortunately, this is not true. At least not online. I just tried it to confirm. None of the renewal coupons work for me on the account I just renewed. I then went to a different email, and tried them while adding a new membership to my cart, and they work.

Okay I stand corrected. Unfortunately I deleted the email but it did say something about having 2 weeks to use the renewal coupon. It could have meant the time until the coupon expired.

Originally Posted by GaryO
I just have to say I'm really, really disappointed in B&N for not issuing any 20% off or better coupons (other than renewals) for the last several weeks. I just can't believe Black Friday is almost upon us and they've done zilch. I thought we'd get, at a minimum, a 25% off coupon code by now. I was opening for a 50% one, but now even a simple 20% off coupon would be nice.

I guess the holiday strategy this year at B&N is to sell fewer items at a larger profit. I don't know if they are planning on waiting until the Black Friday week to release the coupons, but I already think they waitied too long. Several DVDs I would have probably purchased at B&N I have decided to get from other online stores instead. Since the prices have gone up since the release dates on many DVDs I was interested at B&N they are no longer a worthwhile option, even with a 20% to 25% coupon. Right now Deep Discount and Amazon have better deals going, and will most likely get the bulk of my orders.

GaryO 11-20-08 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES (Post 9084796)
I guess the holiday strategy this year at B&N is to sell fewer items at a larger profit. I don't know if they are planning on waiting until the Black Friday week to release the coupons, but I already think they waitied too long. Several DVDs I would have probably purchased at B&N I have decided to get from other online stores instead. Since the prices have gone up since the release dates on many DVDs I was interested at B&N they are no longer a worthwhile option, even with a 20% to 25% coupon. Right now Deep Discount and Amazon have better deals going, and will most likely get the bulk of my orders.

I was thinking the same thing as far as their strategy goes. When economic times get tough, stores can do one of two things. Either go ahead and offer even better deals than normal to try and sell at a greater volume (ala DD upping their discount to 25% this time around) or dig a hole and hide your head in the sand by taking all discounts off the board (apparently what B&N is doing this time around).

Like you, Laser, I was set to purchase several things from B&N had they offered another couple of decent coupon codes. But now my money has gone to DD and Amazon. Their loss.

hindolio 11-21-08 01:17 AM

ive never purchased much from b&n, but im still hopeful and awaiting a decent sale. then ill pounce :D

John Sinnott 11-21-08 08:12 AM

50% Coupon Inside - Member Appreciation Days

I have to admit I got excited when I saw an e-mail from B&N with the subject: 50% Coupon Inside - Member Appreciation Days. Alas, it's 50% off a bestselling HC book. There are also coupons (in store or on-line) for 30% off an "Adult" hardcover (now's my chance to pick up the novelization of "Deep Throat"!) and 20% off any one item. Printable coupons here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=26024

Just realized that I didn't check Laser's first post. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

Brent L 11-21-08 08:35 AM

I'd use that coupon, but neither of the books I want to buy right now count for it.

I'm really starting to hate B&N.

And yes, I got excited as well when I saw that in my email inbox this monring. :lol:

Laser Movies 11-21-08 10:59 AM

How are these coupons? Not sure if it will work with any credit card. I was about to go look for some new printable coupons this morning but someone sent me a PM with these links. Thanks goes to morna for finding them. I'll add them to the coupon list on the first page.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=26035

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PIm...Crd_M_coup.gif

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=26036

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PIm...rd_NM_coup.gif

kenbenobi 11-21-08 11:46 AM

AWESOME!!! Thanks Morna and Laser. I hope they become active online early. I notice they do not start until 11/26. I'll try one now...

EDIT: Nope, not active yet. I will be checking daily. I am pleased there are TWO of these, and that they don't appear to require membership.

Laser Movies 11-21-08 12:13 PM

I would look for the coupons to possibly start working this Monday evening. The first coupon does say it is for members, but the second coupon is for non-members. If you have a membership you should be able to use both on a single account. However I think these are just for books. It says save on one item in large print, but the fine print mentions an eligible book purchase.

andicus 11-21-08 12:17 PM

Looks like a good coupon, although the wording is strange... It indicates that the discount applies to the most expensive 'book' in your order, but then there is the section which specifies what it is not applicable to, but that section doesn't mention DVDs. So, hopefully it will apply to DVDs, but I won't get my hopes up.

Thanks!

Laser Movies 11-21-08 12:25 PM

I agree the wording is strange. Maybe since the coupons are new and not active yet B&N will clarify what purchases are valid with them before November 26.

kenbenobi 11-21-08 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES (Post 9086485)
I would look for the coupons to possibly start working this Monday evening. The first coupon does say it is for members, but the second coupon is for non-members. If you have a membership you should be able to use both on a single account. However I think these are just for books. It says save on one item in large print, but the fine print mentions an eligible book purchase.

Well, print it small enough and the store won't be able to read the fine print. So if it doesn't work online, hopefully we can use it in-store. Of course, online would be much, much, better... So hopefully it will work on DVD's...