Best Buy Prices: June 15 - June 21, 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-08, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kyzersoze11
$14.99 EACH :

Coldplay: Viva La Vida Vinyl LP / CD Minimum 2 per store // No rain checks

Is this a Vinyl version of the album, as well as a copy of the CD? Because if so that is a crazy good deal and I will be at Best Buy before they open.
Vinyl version? Nice.
Old 06-15-08, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to try and pick up a vinyl version of it... and I don't even have a turntable that works.

Also, I believe this is the first time I have seen a vinyl for sale at Best Buy, hell, I didn't even know they even produced that many. Maybe vinyl is making its comeback?
Old 06-15-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HOSALE
Thanks to snausages for explaining the process of the mix up. It was a big help in getting the Popeye Volume 1 for the advertised price. I had completely missed that the picture in this weeks ad was for Volume 1 (albeit the Tin collectors edition colored silver) and knowing that helped immensely in getting a price adjustment. When you look at the ad, you automatically think the picture is for the advertised Popeye the Sailor Volume 2, when that is not the case, it is clearly Volume 1 that is pictured.

I picked up Popeye Vol 1 last week as soon as Speedy posted the mistake. I too had problems finding it, but asked a associate there and he walked over to Anime', not the children's or TV section, and pulled the ONE and ONLY copy that was there. That was not a suprise to me, in that this was not a high demand item and I had anticipated having problems finding a copy in our stores in the Bay Area since it has been a while since the release of this edition. That is why I bought it early instead of waiting to see if they had it in stock today. At Best Buy it is wiser to purchase early and price adjust, if you know they screwed up the price ahead of time. You can price adjust up to 30 days after you bought the DVD.

I went to BB this afternoon and then price adjusted it to $9.99 from $54.99 after about 20 minutes of waiting while the manager and company tried to find a way out of this predicament. The closing argument for me, was that the picture clearly showed Popeye the Sailor Volume 1 1933-1938, and Volume 1 was clearly advertised in writing as $9.99. What they intended to sell for $9.99 was Popeye and Friends Vol 1, which comes out on Tuesday (so none were on the shelves today for them to see). Had they tried to argue the intended item, I would have clearly indicated that Popeye the SAILOR Vol 1 was advertised, and not Popeye and FRIENDS Vol 1.

Good Luck all you Forum Members in scoring the deal, and I'll see you Tuesday when I pick up volume II for $24.99, which is a decent price, not a killer, but a decent price as well.

You're quite welcome. My friend managed to do the same thing and after explaining to Customer Service, got the adjustment without issue. Of course the manager was really busy with another big snafu in the computer dept so didn't care. LOL.

Thanks so much speedy1961 for letting us know about this deal!

Good luck to everyone on scoring this deal!
Old 06-15-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nth Power
$14.99 is a great price for NewsRadio. I'll finally pick up the last volume.

Thanks Speedy!
Ditto.

Thank you, Speedy!
Old 06-16-08, 12:10 AM

There was no copies of Popeye at the store I went too

Tried to get a raincheck, but the computer wouldnt let it through.

Plus it looks like Popeye is no where to be found anywhere else near me. Damn.... Maybe someone at Circuit City will price match for me...

Last edited by TheJoker; 06-16-08 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-16-08, 08:03 AM

Had to order via phone call to best buy

No copies anywhere around me in Maryland.

called best buy, went over how vol 2 is coming out on Tuesday, and Vol 1 is still showing at the the previous price on line. Mentioned that I belong to an animation fans web site that alerts us to all sales, and the members had difficulties buying on line, but the fine folks at the call in centers had to do price adjustments for us all since the "correct" price hadn't gotten through on line for some reason. said no problem, been getting lots of calls.

Nice lady did the sale price, it was $1.99 for standard shipping added, but thats better the $54 on line price. $9.99 sold!
Old 06-16-08, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca
I also tried to get it from a brick and mortar store, but I ended up calling 1800 BEST BUY and it'll be shipped to me for the correct price. None of the stores in the Bay Area have it in stock so it looks like they are mitigating the losses to just phone call inquiries.

I will definitely take HOSALE's advice and purchase the week before.
Are you sure you're getting the right Volume 1? Is it the $55 one or the one coming out this week?
Old 06-16-08, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by wcme
No copies anywhere around me in Maryland.

called best buy, went over how vol 2 is coming out on Tuesday, and Vol 1 is still showing at the the previous price on line. Mentioned that I belong to an animation fans web site that alerts us to all sales, and the members had difficulties buying on line, but the fine folks at the call in centers had to do price adjustments for us all since the "correct" price hadn't gotten through on line for some reason. said no problem, been getting lots of calls.

Nice lady did the sale price, it was $1.99 for standard shipping added, but thats better the $54 on line price. $9.99 sold!
That's GREAT news, will definitely try that.
Old 06-16-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Z-B
Are you sure you're getting the right Volume 1? Is it the $55 one or the one coming out this week?
I am pretty sure, as I had to give the SKU number for the Volume 1 with 4 discs. Of course, you can never be sure until you get it, but I think the Tuesday edition doesn't have a volume number on it.

I would recommend that if you call, you do give them the SKU number so there is no issues about them looking it up for you.

Here's the link to the SKU I used; hope that helps!
Old 06-16-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So the Blu-Ray copy of MiB doesn't come with Hancock movie cash, right?
Old 06-16-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
I am pretty sure, as I had to give the SKU number for the Volume 1 with 4 discs. Of course, you can never be sure until you get it, but I think the Tuesday edition doesn't have a volume number on it.

I would recommend that if you call, you do give them the SKU number so there is no issues about them looking it up for you.

Here's the link to the SKU I used; hope that helps!
Called 1-800-Best Buy and after giving my zip code and page number of ad and the SKU number I got it for $12.49 shipped! Thanks gmanca!

Last edited by Paul1957; 06-16-08 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-16-08, 03:27 PM

I tried calling the 888 number for Best Buy this morning about Popeye Vol. 1, but I did not have success. I told the customer service rep that I was having difficulty trying to order Popeye the Sailor Vol. 1, and that there was a disparity in the online price and weekly ad.

Unfortunately, the rep clicked on the weekly ad tab, selected the "music and movies" category, and clicked the "movies" link, bringing up all the DVDs on sale. When she said she couldn't find where it listed Volume 1 for $9.99, she clicked on the "Popeye the Sailor: Volume 2" link. Doing so brings up the same image from the Vol. 1 tin, but the correct SKU # for Vol. 2 (8801371).

However, scrolling down it shows "Popeye the Sailor: Volume 1" for $9.99 with SKU # (8801512). But that is the SKU for "Popeye & Friends 1".

I'm going to try again later today, but obviously it all depends on the customer service rep you get and the way you state your case.
Old 06-16-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Called 1-800-Best Buy and after giving my zip code and page number of ad and the SKU number I got it for $12.49 shipped! Thanks gmanca!
Just got my e-mail confirmation and its for Popeye and Friends Vol 1 so no deal here! I'll wait until it's delivered then see what it is before I return it.
Old 06-16-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BPHusker
I'm going to try and pick up a vinyl version of it... and I don't even have a turntable that works.

Also, I believe this is the first time I have seen a vinyl for sale at Best Buy, hell, I didn't even know they even produced that many. Maybe vinyl is making its comeback?
I hope you're right. That gives hope for the future when Laser Disc, SVHS and HD-DVD make comebacks!
Old 06-16-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheJoker
There was no copies of Popeye at the store I went too

Tried to get a raincheck, but the computer wouldnt let it through.

Plus it looks like Popeye is no where to be found anywhere else near me. Damn.... Maybe someone at Circuit City will price match for me...
When I went yesterday morning, neither BB nor CC had copies of V1. I didn't drive around to other BB though, but BB.com shows none available for pickup at any store, so I'm betting they don't have it. Does WM carry Popeye v1? They still PM I believe...
Old 06-16-08, 08:21 PM

went out on a quest for popeye today. none at the best buy near me, not only that but none at target or cc either. makes me wonder if the major retailers have spies on the boards that when something is mislabled extremely low in an ad, that they all pull them off the shelves real quick. if I see them on the shelves at these stores in a couple of weeks, I will know that I am right.
Old 06-16-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I hope you're right. That gives hope for the future when Laser Disc, SVHS and HD-DVD make comebacks!
Actually, vinyl IS making a comeback. A big one in independent music especially, and Europe from what I've seen.

I'm not sure if your further comments are snarky sarcasm, but, if so, take that! Vinyl IS alive--and is so because analog audio is different from digital! (make the comparisons to things like Laserdisc silly, unless you are just nostalgic for actual laserdiscs...)

Also, NO popeye in this entire STATE it looked like :\
Old 06-16-08, 09:02 PM

Well, it took me close to an hour on the phone, but I finally got them to send me a gift card for the difference between the $54.99 for Popeye Vol 1. and the confused sale price of $9.99.

Works for me!
Old 06-16-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
When I went yesterday morning, neither BB nor CC had copies of V1. I didn't drive around to other BB though, but BB.com shows none available for pickup at any store, so I'm betting they don't have it. Does WM carry Popeye v1? They still PM I believe...
Here's the link to order online and deliver to the store:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5762582
Old 06-17-08, 07:16 AM

Best Buy sent e-mail - shipped! ITS CORRECT!

Qty 1
Product Description:
Popeye the Sailor, Vol. 1: 1933-1938 [4 Discs]-DVD

Old 06-17-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for posting these ads every week!

I finally completed my "News Radio" collection last night (needed seasons 4 & 5). They'll help me get through the summer TV doldrums.
Old 06-17-08, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Actually, vinyl IS making a comeback. A big one in independent music especially, and Europe from what I've seen.
it never really went away in indie record stores (though a lot of those have closed over the years). i don't have a turntable, but I like collecting LPs and keeping them sealed. they just look better, especially when they have nice art on the cover.

oh, in europe, bands biggest merch sellers are 7" (45 for you old-times...j/k).

so, to end in a non-threadcrap, i'm picking up Viva La Vida LP today.
Old 06-17-08, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Paul1957
I called best buy's 1 800 and they honored it as well, thanks
Old 06-17-08, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JorgeC
it never really went away in indie record stores (though a lot of those have closed over the years). i don't have a turntable, but I like collecting LPs and keeping them sealed. they just look better, especially when they have nice art on the cover.

oh, in europe, bands biggest merch sellers are 7" (45 for you old-times...j/k).

so, to end in a non-threadcrap, i'm picking up Viva La Vida LP today.
Right, vinyl has always been big in europe. And I think vinyl it starting to make a comback into the mainstream world, but for me it never went away. All I buy is vinyl anymore.
Old 06-18-08, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
Right, vinyl has always been big in europe. And I think vinyl it starting to make a comback into the mainstream world, but for me it never went away. All I buy is vinyl anymore.
The fact that vinyl copies are now starting to get mentioned in ads is a good sign,

By the way...my store still didn't have any copies of Popeye: Volume 1. I'm going to call the CS number tomorrow and see if I can get them to honor the price as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.