(DEAD) DeepDiscount.com's 20% Off Sale - June 6th - June 29nd

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) DeepDiscount.com's 20% Off Sale - June 6th - June 29nd

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First order in. Got some Doctor Who and a few other goodies. I am looking at making one, maybe two other orders this sale. Three years now and I always get more and more ideas looking through everyone else's orders.

Quantity Item # Description Price Status -------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------

1 BBC020220 DVD : DR WHO-EARTHSHOCK (EP 122) $ 11.80 In-stock
1 BBC028590 DVD : DR WHO-SONTARAN EXPERIMENT $ 8.24 In-stock
1 BBC038389 DVD : DOCTOR WHO-BENEATH THE SURF $ 31.91 In-stock
1 BBC040130 DVD : DR WHO-NEW BEGINNINGS $ 27.99 In-stock
1 FXD034433 DVD : 30 DAYS-1ST SEASON $ 11.87 In-stock
1 IMA004026 DVD : COMEDIANS OF COMEDY $ 11.26 In-stock
1 PRD013090 DVD : TWIN PEAKS-DEFINITIVE GOLD $ 56.71 In-stock
1 RHE080604 DVD : HOGFATHER $ 8.37 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 168.15
Tax: $ .00 Shipping & Processing: $ .00
Total for this Order: $ 168.15
Old 06-06-08, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the answer on the HD DVDs . Went ahead and ordered-
Alexander Revisted $15.73 backordered
Slither $11.98 backordered
With the 20% off $22.17. I tried to order the Mission: Impossible 3 pack HD but it no longer can be ordered.
Old 06-06-08, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by longrun
Running out of DVDs...

.....I still have $3k on my wish-list, but those are 'maybe one day' titles - nothing critical, nothing I can't live without (i.e. nothing I want to watch in the next 6 months).

Are others running into this wall as well? I mean, buying movies right now is a crapshoot... like buying VHS right before DVD came out. TV though, or movies which you just don't care about Bluray (do I really need 'When Harry Met Sally' to look that much crisper?)... most of these just don't really matter all that much in terms of format (there are few StarTrek HD examples out there, which really add value for your HD dollar).

So, what is left to buy? My TV seasons are starting to be complete, the shows ended. Each sale brings only a handful of newly released titles... probably better for my pocketbook, but gone are the days of excitement and excess at these sales. ......

:-(

I agree. Haven't bought many DVDs since HD DVD blew up. I'll probably pick up a few HD-DVds during this sale.
DVD Talk Special Edition

My first order shipped even with my back ordered Slither HD!
DVD Talk Special Edition

Running out of DVDs...

My orders this time was only $800 (primarily TV box sets), and I can honestly say I am at the point where I just can't make the $2000 order anymore... not for dislike of DDD or price issues, but I am honestly running out of things I want to own. I still have $3k on my wish-list, but those are 'maybe one day' titles - nothing critical, nothing I can't live without (i.e. nothing I want to watch in the next 6 months).

Are others running into this wall as well? I mean, buying movies right now is a crapshoot... like buying VHS right before DVD came out. TV though, or movies which you just don't care about Bluray (do I really need 'When Harry Met Sally' to look that much crisper?)... most of these just don't really matter all that much in terms of format (there are few StarTrek HD examples out there, which really add value for your HD dollar).

So, what is left to buy? My TV seasons are starting to be complete, the shows ended. Each sale brings only a handful of newly released titles... probably better for my pocketbook, but gone are the days of excitement and excess at these sales. In a way, I feel somehow sad for this loss... heck, even the sale thread, once split into multiple parts, is now barely reaching the double digits in pages.

I dont see myself spending any money on this sale this year. My order in November was only $40 total. I bought the flags of our fathers/iwo Jima box set for $32 and I ordered Bugsy $4.79 and Brick $3.19

I have spent usually $300-700 on these sales in the past. My wishlist is also in the $3K range.

There is stuff I want but I have about 150 or so movies I havent even opened and watched yet and whatever I bought now probably wouldnt be watched in a year and prices continue to drop so I can wait on them.
Another reason is dd has better deals throughout the year and 20% off the titles on my wishlist are still not at a price point that I want to pay. Like last november right after the 20% off sale they had BOGO on Simpson season sets and other season sets, I spent more on that sale than the 20% off. .
I spend most of my dvd money with DD and never had an issue with the company, but its just a bad time for the economy and I pretty much am just spending money on food nowadays or deals that blow me away.
Old 06-06-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 655 Posts
My first order:

DVD : NEW ADVENTURES OF THE LONE $ 6.64 In-stock
DVD : DUNGEONS & DRAGONS-COMPLETE $ 24.34 In-stock
DVD : BEETLE BAILEY-COMPLETE COLL $ 6.62 In-stock
DVD : MIAMI VICE-COMPLETE SERIES $ 107.91 In-stock
DVD : TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (2 $ 11.90 In-stock
DVD : HIYA KIDS-50S SATURDAY MORN $ 16.10 In-stock
Merchandise Total: $ 173.51 Tax: $ .00 Shipping & Processing: $ .00
Total for this Order: $ 173.51

My first order. I had a few HD-DVDs in there but they were showing OOS. I decided I may wait on those since I will be out of town soon and won't know when those may ship.
Old 06-06-08, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
I dont see myself spending any money on this sale this year. My order in November was only $40 total. I bought the flags of our fathers/iwo Jima box set for $32 and I ordered Bugsy $4.79 and Brick $3.19

I have spent usually $300-700 on these sales in the past. My wishlist is also in the $3K range.

There is stuff I want but I have about 150 or so movies I havent even opened and watched yet and whatever I bought now probably wouldnt be watched in a year and prices continue to drop so I can wait on them.
Another reason is dd has better deals throughout the year and 20% off the titles on my wishlist are still not at a price point that I want to pay. Like last november right after the 20% off sale they had BOGO on Simpson season sets and other season sets, I spent more on that sale than the 20% off. .
I spend most of my dvd money with DD and never had an issue with the company, but its just a bad time for the economy and I pretty much am just spending money on food nowadays or deals that blow me away.

I hear you on that, thats how many of the past sales went for me. The last November and this one were special for me though. Being in Iraq, these sales count for 90% of my dvd buying. I don't have the time to spend scooping out the best prices through out the year and picking and choosing what I wait on, so I know I can count on the Deep Discount sale will provide pretty decent prices for me to catch up on releases and blow some money. I have gotten known as the dvd guy here, everyone is always stopping by to borrow random movies from me, got a couple guys into some stuff they other wise would never have watched like The Third Man, Secret Honor, Doctor Who and Kurosawa.

I am not planning to buy much this upcoming November though, since I finally get to go home in December.
Old 06-06-08, 10:21 AM
Cool New Member

ened up ordering so far:

Chappelles Show Season 2
Adam Sandler Collection (50 first dates, mr. deeds, big daddy)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion
Back to the Future Trilogy Widescreen
Old 06-06-08, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
read the first post yet?
Yeah, I read over it a few times searching for the coupon code; must just be that I saw 'DVDTALK' and assumed they were addressing us or something, it took me reading that thing 4 times before I realised the code was staring me right in the face.
Old 06-06-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by paintcan
"There Will be Blood" borders on being an independent film (in comparison of a widely released commercial flick, so they may not have gotten many copies in. Or, maybe their shipment is late. Did anyone else order this and have it listed in stock?
Had this not been a recent theatrical release and Oscar winner, not to mention making 40 million at the box-office, I would say maybe. And I would expect this from a *real* independent film like "Snow Angels". Not this. I just called DD. They have no idea when they'll be getting it in stock, so I cancelled my order.
Old 06-06-08, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
With the 20% off $22.17. I tried to order the Mission: Impossible 3 pack HD but it no longer can be ordered.
Once HD-DVD died, I picked up an Xbox addon for $50. Man am I glad I did. I've carefully watched all the sales and managed to get just about everything I wanted. As soon as the DDD 20% coupon worked (days early), I immediately put my order in on all the HD-DVDs I've been wanting. I did manage to get Slither and MI 3-pack; already got shipping confirmation on all of them. Here's what I got:

Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 FXD036931 DVD : SIMPSONS-8TH SEASON $ 24.07
1 FXD039041 DVD : SIMPSONS-9TH SEASON $ 24.07
1 LGE021823 DVD : ALONE IN THE DARK $ 8.25
1 MCA028661 DVD : SLITHER (WS) $ 6.94
1 MCA031972 HDD : SLITHER $ 9.58
1 MCA050273 HDD : FLETCH $ 9.58
1 PRD011993 HDD : MISSION IMPOSSIBLE-ULTIMATE MISSIO $ 28.94
1 PRD013129 HDD : NEXT $ 13.86
1 WBD006312 HDD : CHRISTMAS VACATION-NATIONAL LAMPOO $ 12.58
1 WBD018571 HDD : BLADE RUNNER-ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S $ 37.38
Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 MCA032831 HDD : ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS M $ 9.58
1 PRD013128 HDD : TRANSFORMERS (SE/2D) $ 13.87
I'm pretty pumped. I was toying with the idea of trying to get Matrix set (backordered even when I tried), but I just have no desire to pay for parts 2 and 3 (which I have no desire to ever revisit). But, if I consider it $35.00 for a high def DVD of just the first Matrix (with Parts 2 and 3 included for free), I can kind of sell myself on it.
Old 06-06-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm not sure if somebody asked already...

the box set i wanted was in stock yesterday but today is OOS, with a message that it will be in soon, i'll get an email on expected ship, and i won't be charged until it does ship...

if i buy it on the sale, and it ships later than the sale do i not get the discount?...

EDIT: i just called them... whenever it ships, i still get the discount...

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 06-06-08 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
... heck, even the sale thread, once split into multiple parts, is now barely reaching the double digits in pages.

Be patient...

1. The sale has only been "live" for ~2 days.

2. Lots of people did not know it started 2 days early!

3. People's incessant whining about "prices are higher" and "DD sucks" are banned from this thread under penalty of account suspension. That alone accounts for a estimated 50% reduction in the number of posts.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-06-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
wanted to get 'Alexander - Revisited' on HD-DVD. Two evenings ago, I received my batch of 5 free HD-DVDs from the Toshiba offer from Feb '08. Guess what title was included in it :-) (none of the 5 were what I selected on the rebate form - and I am not complaining considering what I received)
Old 06-06-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Had this not been a recent theatrical release and Oscar winner, not to mention making 40 million at the box-office, I would say maybe. And I would expect this from a *real* independent film like "Snow Angels". Not this. I just called DD. They have no idea when they'll be getting it in stock, so I cancelled my order.
I just went to Best Buy. They had several copies of "TWBB" Blu-Ray. The sticker was $29.99. But according to their website, it's on sale for $27.99 (I know, two whopping dollars). Still, the same price at DD.com before the 20%. So if you go to Best Buy, make sure you make them ring it up with the proper sale price.
Old 06-06-08, 11:53 AM

First order:

Quantity Item # Description Price Status -------- ------------ ------------
1 BVD025340 DVD : CASTLE IN THE SKY $ 17.70 Backorder
1 HVD001916 DVD : SEVEN SAMURAI (CRITERION) $ 21.74 Backorder
1 MCA020023 DVD : APOLLO 13 (WS)(ANNIVERSARY $ 8.26 In-stock
1 MCA033218 DVD : HOT FUZZ (WS) $ 11.47 In-stock
1 WBD018325 DVD : LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS $ 7.38 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 66.55
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 66.55
Old 06-06-08, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by punit
Hey Tony, you are right in claiming that DD's site works out the shipping charges according to the original price and not the discounted price. The issue can be resolved by just sending them an email with details like order# , name and the incorrect shipping charges . The difference in shipping charges is simply refunded back to your card. I've done it numerous times specially during B1G1/B2G1 sales as well as DD's last 20% off sale in November.

Hope it helps.
I emailed DD yesterday and they emailed me back today.I should be paying $16.95 instead of $23.95 but the email pretty much said they won't change it.I wonder if I called them, if I'd get a different result? What's their customer service #?
Old 06-06-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kyle
Especially when DeepDiscount itself posts all of them in a thread on the DVDTalk Forum. The only thing I can see is if it is easier for them to issue 20 different codes rather than change their system to allow infinite uses of one coupon code.
DeepDiscount doesn't post all the codes. I do. And I'm pretty sure DVD Talk hasn't in the past, nor will they now, receive any "credit" for sales by using that code. Only by CLICKING on the affiliate link in the first post, or from the "Shop" page. The purpose for the different codes is to see where the people come from.
Old 06-06-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In DD's defense, they're trying to walk a fine line of being fair to themselves and international customers. Shipping isn't cheap to other countries and instead of doing a 1 disc = x amount, the're dong total amounts, which I think would be a better deal for the buyer. I realize that the shipping is killing the 20% "deal" for customers in Canada and such but I think it's fair to assume that since DD is making less per title/order during the 20% off sale that for them to eat some of the shipping costs will kill profits for them, too. Don't get me wrong, I know it sucks paying international shipping as I've ordered things from Japan, Germany, UK, Australia and Canada and have felt the pinch.
Old 06-06-08, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
DeepDiscount doesn't post all the codes. I do. And I'm pretty sure DVD Talk hasn't in the past, nor will they now, receive any "credit" for sales by using that code. Only by CLICKING on the affiliate link in the first post, or from the "Shop" page. The purpose for the different codes is to see where the people come from.
Look at the first post of this thread--it was posted by DeepDiscount and they posted a whole list of codes.
Old 06-06-08, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 697 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle
Look at the first post of this thread--it was posted by DeepDiscount and they posted a whole list of codes.
Perhaps you should re-read the first post, keeping in mind the username you were replying to.
Old 06-06-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Cow
Perhaps you should re-read the first post, keeping in mind the username you were replying to.

Old 06-06-08, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Ahh--didn't realize there was an edit in there--never saw the post without the edits--just assumed it was all the original DeepDiscount post. (Yes, I know what happens when you assume )

Anyway, I DID use DVDTALK for the one order I placed.

Last edited by kyle; 06-06-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 03:18 PM
kk8
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Don't know if they went up but this is what he ordered:

"The Three Stooges Collection - 1934-1936" - $17.37 ($13.90 w/discount)
"Three Stooges Collection (1937-1939)" - $19.61 ($15.69 w/discount)

So the first set is cheaper at DD after the discount.

The second set was MIA for a while on the DD site with no indications it would return so I ordered one from another vendor who is having a B2G1 sale and got it for ~$12.00.

To help out a bit, you can easily check a title if someone posts the "studio code" on their order list. Just put the studio code (i.e. COL021104 or other) in the search box and the title ordered will come up.
Thank you, and may I ask who that other vendor is?
Old 06-06-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by haight
I emailed DD yesterday and they emailed me back today.I should be paying $16.95 instead of $23.95 but the email pretty much said they won't change it.I wonder if I called them, if I'd get a different result? What's their customer service #?

First My Complaint

Customer (xxxxxx) - 05/20/2008
Name : xxxxxxx
Phone : xxxxxxxxx
Store : Deep Discount
Order #:
Reason : Hi,

I have been a regular customer of Deepdiscount for past 1 year. I wish to report an error(bug) in the calculation of the shipping charges at your site for international customers.
Whenever a deal like Buy one Get One Free or Buy Two Get One Free is on offer, the shipping charges levied for international customers is incorrect.

For e.g. the ongoing offer on Buy 1 Get 1 free Anchor Bay titles , i wish to order both the volumes of Bava set (Bava set Vol.1 and Bava set Vol. 2) priced at 30.38 each. The total value of the order comes to 60.76. The shipping charges shown are $12.95 which is correct since my order value is between $50.01 and $100. If i apply the concerning coupon code, the order value plummets to 30.38 correctly. However, the shipping charges do not drop to $8.95 (applicable for order values between $25.01 and $50). This results in international customers paying more shipping charges. This error has been there for a while. I have to make long international calls to explain it to the customer service representatives every time i wish to place such an order. It would be really nice if you guys can fix this error asap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
xxxxx.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

DD's response

Store: Shipping Charges

Discussion Thread
(cp) - 05/21/2008
Thank you for contacting DeepDiscount.com!

We would like to assist you further, but more information is needed. Please provided us with your order number if you have it, your full name, and your address with postal code. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are trying to resolve the issue that you have mentioned and will issue a credit back to you for the difference after the order ships. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Again, thank you for writing DeepDiscount.com. We appreciate your business.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
[email protected]
http://www.deepdiscount.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My response

Hi,

Order Number : *xxxxxxx
Full Name : xxxxxxxxx
Shipping Address :
* xxxxxxx
Billing Address:
* xxxxxxx

The correct order value is $45.36 after applying a discount of $30.38.
Yet, i have been charged $12.95 shipping fees whereas it should have been
$8.95 for the international order since order value lies between $25.01-$50
and not between $50.01-$100.

Please refund the difference in shipping charges back to my account.

Thanks,
xxxxx.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Finally DD's response

Re: Store: Shipping Charges [Incident: xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Discussion Thread

(jm) - 06/01/2008 xxxxx
Thank you for contacting DeepDiscount.com!

We apologize for the error. We have processed a refund of 4.00 USD to your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Again, thank you for writing DeepDiscount.com. We appreciate your business.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
[email protected]
http://www.deepdiscount.com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.