Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Prices: June 8 - June 14, 2008

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy Prices: June 8 - June 14, 2008

Old 06-08-08, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered one for in-store pickup. Will try to drop by tomorrow and get a pricematch while I pick it up.
Old 06-08-08, 07:02 AM

This is the address for the online selection for the $5 off 2, $10 off 3 offer:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at153200050019
Old 06-08-08, 11:00 AM

No dice with price adjustment at my BB. They brought up the "reg. priced $12.99-$14.99 each" disclaimer and that was that. Still, I think there's actually a better chance of finding a clueless or indifferent BB employee than the Ultimate Edition in stock at Circuit City...

Oh, well. Whatever. I returned the copy I snatched a few days ago and grabbed the non-ultimate DC instead (the one that's actually advertised). It's the same two disks, and for $6.99 it's still a decent deal.
Old 06-08-08, 12:54 PM

DAMN BEST BUY

they just gave me so much shit for this. they said nothing about the "reg. priced" disclaimer. instead they said they outsource their ads and they cant be held responsible for mistakes made on it.

im like WHAT?! its your ad!
i tried to pricematch at circuit city but they didnt have any copies in stock. gonna try some other stores next. as well as another best buy (whether i have a copy by then or not) haha

seriously, ive never heard of a company not honoring their own ad. especially considering they didnt even bring up the "regularly priced" blurb. unbelievable!
Old 06-08-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wil you still pursue it? next thing you know you wasted more $$$ of your Vehicular Gas consumption than saving to get $6.99 Troy

Originally Posted by rehmus
DAMN BEST BUY

they just gave me so much shit for this. they said nothing about the "reg. priced" disclaimer. instead they said they outsource their ads and they cant be held responsible for mistakes made on it.

i tried to pricematch at circuit city but they didnt have any copies in stock. gonna try some other stores next. as well as another best buy (whether i have a copy by then or not) haha

seriously, ive never heard of a company not honoring their own ad. especially considering they didnt even bring up the "regularly priced" blurb. unbelievable!
Old 06-08-08, 01:24 PM

I just got back from Best Buy and had no problems with the price adjustment. I just told the girl that I came in to get the price adjustment on the advertised item and she didn't say a word and gave me back $24 from the receipt that I got on Friday. Good Luck everyone, it's going to be a YMMV situation.
Old 06-08-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by rehmus
DAMN BEST BUY

rehmus, I too was rejected in store despite my arguing that was pictured was a match for what I had purchased. They pulled the correct DVD and said that the gold cover was what should have been there.

I cited Connecticut's law about getting one for the price listed as no signs or price error disclaimers were posted any where.

The manager gave me his name and told me to call Best Buy (kind of like he was challenging me).

First thing I did was go to their website ansd take screen shots of the item in the ad, the item when I double clicked on it (and it says $6.99) and the SKU # which was listed which showed the gold cover. I next called 1.800.BEST.BUY and spoke with a service rep and told her all the information that I had:

1. Item in question is in web ad on Page #11 for $6.99
2. Item in question has wrong SKU # attached
3. There were no in store disclaimers or price error signs in place
4. I was ready to contact Connecticut's attorney general in regards of getting 1 mislisted item at the listed price and had sreen shots of same plus a hard copy of their ad

After being on hold for about 20 minutes, she came came back and agreed with what I had stated to both her and the Best Buy manager in Orange, CT.

End Result: Best Buy is sending me a $25 Gift Card to make up the difference of what I had purchased yesterday.

Sometimes calmly and surely is the way to win these type of situations.

Last edited by speedy1961; 06-08-08 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
End Result: Best Buy is sening me a $25 Gift Card to make up the difference of what I had purchased yesterday.
Nice. I wish I had this kind of persistence.
Old 06-08-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a copy of the Ultimate Edition of Troy in the store, but didn't feel like trying to get it for $6.99. I would've gladly paid $6.99 for the regular edition of the DC anyway and did just that since I wasn't interested in the big box or all that other stuff.
Old 06-08-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by .unholy
Nice. I wish I had this kind of persistence.

Knowing your state's law on mis-labeled products is a BIG factor here.
Old 06-08-08, 02:22 PM

End Result: Best Buy is sending me a $25 Gift Card to make up the difference of what I had purchased yesterday.

Sometimes calmly and surely is the way to win these type of situations.
You got screwed...I got a $30 gift card out of it :-P
Old 06-08-08, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
I cited Connecticut's law about getting one for the price listed as no signs or price error disclaimers were posted any where.
Could you tell someone (who's not in the state of CT) how to go about checking to see if there's a similar law in their own state??
Old 06-08-08, 02:53 PM

I bought two of these a couple of days before the sale started today. After arriving at the store (right when it opened up) and then waiting in the ridiculous line behind everyone clamoring over getting a Wii, I finally got to the register and asked for an adjustment. I wasn't happy at that point and what ensued didn't help. Everything seemed fine until the guy scanned the merchandise and began to take notice of the discrepancy. After some obvious deep thought, he said he needed to go check out the versions to see if this was the right one. I said "Look -- I own 600+ DVDs and I can tell you that you won't find another version that looks like the one pictured in your ad." He then comes back with the 2-discer with the gold slip cover and tells me that this is the one that was on sale and should have been pictured.

I asked him how that was my problem. And then I proceeded to tell him "by god, I spent my time and gas driving down here to get an adjustment for something I bought that is pictured in your ad at a lower price and I'm not leaving here until I get an adjustment". He brought his little podunk manager over to explain the situation to her (I could see where this was going), so I interrupted and told them I didn't care what they thought or what their reasons were -- it wasn't my fault that their marketing department doesn't know what the hell they're doing and demanded an adjustment.

Without hesitation, my price was adjusted. The cashier was pissed off that he didn't get in his good samaritan deed for the company today, but oh well. Good luck to everyone -- I still say it's completely BS that they don't honor the price unless they clearly display an ad correction notice somewhere else. Even still, people rely on the ads and don't know that until they get to the store -- so I think they should do something for people as compensation for waste of their time and gas money.
Old 06-08-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree. While ad mistakes do happen, Best Buy needs to find a way to pre-scan the ad so mistakes like this won't happen at the store level. It's simply good business, but hey I guess paying somebody a few bucks an hour isn't worth it. Therefore, they need to honor the ad.

Managers at Best Buy need to start emailing and calling their district and regionals so ad issues can get solved, instead of just not giving a shit every single time an ad comes out. They have the power to make the ad perfect.

If they can make sure an HDTV sells for $1299 instead of $12.99, they can sure as hell flip to the next section and make sure the proper DVDs are for sale and compare UPCs and SKUs.
Old 06-08-08, 04:32 PM

I went to Best Buy to buy Eddie Murphy's Delirious, but they didn't have it and instead had the movie Delirious with Steve Buscemi and Michael Pitt. Did anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 06-08-08, 05:28 PM

I too rushed down to get my copy of the Ultimate Collector's Edition Troy and was told by the store manager tough luck. I just bounced over to another Best Buy in Mountain View, CA and they had three in stock and had no problem with the manager, once I told him that 1-800-BEST-BUY had acknowledged the mistake and was authorizing it to be sold at the advertised price. Wahooo, out the door for $7.57, many thanks Speedy. We love you, man.
Old 06-08-08, 06:26 PM

no such luck at two BB for me, both stating regardless the mistake they couldnt PM a 30.00 dvd for 6.99, oh well still picked up the regular 2 disk.
Old 06-08-08, 11:12 PM

So...about that whole Troy ultimate quadruple collector's edition located in the ad...well, in my Best Buy, they were just selling the 2-disc set...so well, yeah. I'm kinda mad because you're not supposed to do that (show one thing you're selling b ut selling another item). They wouldn't let me buy the collector's edition. Oh well....
Old 06-08-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did anyone have problems with those DVDs sets (Seinfeld complete series, west wing complete, king of queens complete, etc.) that were in last week's ad but listed as having prices in effect for 2 weeks? At my BB today Seinfeld rang up for $199.99. I didn't have proof on me that it was in last week's ad and they were being morons about it. Went home, printed out the page from last week's ad, and went to a diff BB. Rang up incorrectly there, but they corrected the price for me.
Old 06-09-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Could you tell someone (who's not in the state of CT) how to go about checking to see if there's a similar law in their own state??
Usually you can find info by looking for your state's attorney general's website and probably looking under consumer protection.
Old 06-09-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I agree. While ad mistakes do happen, Best Buy needs to find a way to pre-scan the ad so mistakes like this won't happen at the store level. It's simply good business, but hey I guess paying somebody a few bucks an hour isn't worth it. Therefore, they need to honor the ad.

Managers at Best Buy need to start emailing and calling their district and regionals so ad issues can get solved, instead of just not giving a shit every single time an ad comes out. They have the power to make the ad perfect.

If they can make sure an HDTV sells for $1299 instead of $12.99, they can sure as hell flip to the next section and make sure the proper DVDs are for sale and compare UPCs and SKUs.

Well said.
Old 06-09-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've said many times before in my threads that if they wish to hire me to do this, I'd be more than willing.

I scan their ad every week and usually spot discrepancies right away.
Old 06-09-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This isn't nearly as bad as Target's string a while back of regularly picturing the 2-disc or enhanced editions of discs they didn't even stock. It really makes you wonder... Made for great price matching material, though.

But yeah, they need to honor this.
Old 06-09-08, 12:50 PM

No way I would want Speedy scanning Best Buy ads for them. I live for these mistakes, and usually make Best Buy pay for them. I've seen several posts here telling people to call 1-800-Best-Buy and tell the Customer Rep what happened. They are aware of the mistake and will send you a $30 gift card as a way to make it up to you. That is hard to beat and will definitely cool off a lot of tempers.
Old 06-09-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HOSALE
No way I would want Speedy scanning Best Buy ads for them. I live for these mistakes, and usually make Best Buy pay for them. I've seen several posts here telling people to call 1-800-Best-Buy and tell the Customer Rep what happened. They are aware of the mistake and will send you a $30 gift card as a way to make it up to you. That is hard to beat and will definitely cool off a lot of tempers.

Nice of you to say that I know my stuff.

In the latest Best Buy ad going up shortly, there appears to be a mis-price on a classic Popeye animation set so get ready folks.

(I already have the set and it's a gem).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.