Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

KMart cheap dvd thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: KMart cheap dvd thread

KMart?? I haven't seen a KMart in years.
Old 07-08-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're still around last I checked.
Old 07-11-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Based on what you guys have seen I made a trip to K-Mart today. What a waste! They've completely rearranged the DVD section and pretty much put *everything* together... bargain crap with overpriced recent/current releases. Was hoping for a copy of "Capricorn One" that someone mentioned... no luck. I did find a wire cage dump bin type thing with $5 & up on it... glanced at the top layer as it was somewhat in order, passed another $5 cardboard dumb bin with only a glance, and looked through a wire shelf indicating $1.99 and up. There were *no* TVonDVD selections of *any* type. It was actually worse than before, which is saying a *lot*. The trip just cemented my bad opinion of K-Mart. How they ever came out of bankrupcy and purchased Sears is totally beyond my ability to comprehend.
Old 07-11-11, 06:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went this weekend and had a decent find - Dog Soldiers on BD for $5. Was in the horror movie cardboard bin others have mentioned.
Old 07-11-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kmart isn't anywhere close as they once were, if that means anything regarding that operation.
Old 10-24-11, 04:36 PM

I stopped by the local K-Mart this afternoon to see if they had any DVD deals since I hadn't stepped foot in that store in months, and they had a few worth mentioning.

They had a ton of various Miramax collections, all for $5. They include:

6-Film Miramax Collection, Vol. 1: The Crossing Guard, The Human Stain, The Night Listener, Heaven (w/Cate Blanchett), The Innocents, Benefit of the Doubt
Miramax Hip Thriller Series: The Faculty, Teaching Mrs. Tingle, Phantoms, The I Inside
Miramax Con-Man Series: Albino Alligator, The Lookout, Two Hands, The Yards
Miramax Psyho Killer Series: Halloween 6, Halloween: H20, Halloween Resurrection, Mother's Boys
Midnight Horror Collection: Psycho Stalkers Edition
Midnight Horror Collection: Deadly Games
Movies For the Man-Cave: 8-Movie Pack (includes some Dolph Lundgren)
10-Movie Mystery Pack
6-Movie Pack: Fantasy and Action
10-Movie Kids Pack, Vols. 1-4
Wes Craven Collection: All three Dracula flicks
Scarecrow Triple Feature
6-Movie Pack: Family Adventures
(You can find more info on Amazon if you type in the titles)

Some non-Miramax sets I saw for $5 include:
Leprechaun set, Parts 1-4
Puppet Master series, Vol. 1 & 2
Wishmaster 1 & 2/Leprechaun/Pumpkinhead 2

They also had the Hellraiser, Children of the Corn and Halloween sets that have been spotted at Wal-Mart, but they were $7.50 here. Much easier to locate, though, no bins.

I ended up getting a 10-movie Sci-Fi Pack for $5 mainly because it had Cronenberg's "eXistenZ." There were also some Asylum movies in the collection, such as War of the Worlds 2. Might be good for a laugh sometime. Considering there were five titles on each disc, I thought for sure the movies would look awful due to compression, but eXistenZ looked great, even the correct aspect ratio.
Old 10-24-11, 07:38 PM
Zbu

Yeah, KMart has a ton of the Echo Bridge multiple film releases. I've found a dozen or so that are full of bad movie goodness: my latest haul has 'Ten Films for the Man Cave' that have Beer League and B. Monkey along with a handful of other shitty ones, and 10 Movie Sci-Fi Pack that has Existenz along with a slew of other madness. All are $5.

It's worth it for the cheese alone. I also got Pinata: Survival Island for $5 as well. Worth a look as they have a lot of stuff there on sale. But for some reason they think 'Human Centipede' is $15 still...
Old 10-25-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found some of the MGM MIDNITE MOVIES 4 packs for $7.50, but no thought at all went into how they compiled these. Usually it's two good movies with two crap ones. I mean THE MAN FROM PLANET X paired off with MORONS FROM SPACE? For five bucks I would have bit for the two movies I want, but at $7.50 it's not as appealing. I also don't know if these are single disc DL flippers or if they include any of the extras that were on the original releases. Does anyone have any info?
Old 10-25-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I found some of the MGM MIDNITE MOVIES 4 packs for $7.50, but no thought at all went into how they compiled these. Usually it's two good movies with two crap ones.
Actually, that sounds like a lot of thought went into how they compiled them, no?
Old 10-25-11, 06:33 PM
Cool New Member

Found the Hellraiser Collection and Midnight Horror Collection - 8 Movie Pack Volumes 1 and 2 at my local k-mart.

Hellraiser is 2 disc with Hellraiser 3,4,5 on Disc 1 and Hellraiser 6,7,9 on Disc Two. Hellraiser 6 seems to have a squashed image compared to the Dimension Disc. Like it was a full screen print that got squashed to widescreen.

The Midnight Horror Collection are both 2 disc with 4 movies to a disc.

I haven't seen the Children of the Corn Collection locally yet, anybody care to comment about it?
Old 10-25-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped by one of my two local K-Marts (Torrance, CA on Hawthorne if anyone's in the area) to find that it was going out of business.

All DVD's are 20% off, but it looks like they pulled all of the non $1.99-$3.99 DVD's except for a couple of small horror displays (made of cardboard and containing 16-20 DVD's each) near the Halloween section that were likely missed. If you're a horror fan it might be worth searching for those as they included at least one 12 and one 20 pack. A 20-movie set for $5 minus 20% was one of the best deals I've yet seen, but I just didn't have a reason to pick it up.

Fortunately for me I found a couple of obscure older titles in the $1.99 - $2.99 range that I wasn't going to buy at $8 - $10, but was happy to pick up for that price.
Old 10-25-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Actually, that sounds like a lot of thought went into how they compiled them, no?
I suppose if one were inclined to favor the obvious idea of let's just put whatever outer space alien movies we have together regardless of era or quality, then I suppose it could be conceived as thoughtful. But then how to explain THE BEAST WITH 1,000,000 EYES being paired with THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT? Perhaps there is some method to it, after all, but I'm not sure how many fans of PLANET X want to see MORONS, lol. But if so now they have their chance!
Old 10-26-11, 11:33 AM

just a word of caution. Those echo-bridge transfers range from 'meh' to horrid, with quite a few being P&S. Definitely a case of quantity vs. quality. Not bad if you have a small square TV and just want to see the film (which was my goal as I use these as background when I work out), but anyone who really loves these films would do better getting another version. imho.

Then again, $5 is the most I would pay for any 3-movie puppet master set - no matter what the quality, so I was happy!
Old 10-26-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I suppose if one were inclined to favor the obvious idea of let's just put whatever outer space alien movies we have together regardless of era or quality, then I suppose it could be conceived as thoughtful. But then how to explain THE BEAST WITH 1,000,000 EYES being paired with THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT? Perhaps there is some method to it, after all, but I'm not sure how many fans of PLANET X want to see MORONS, lol. But if so now they have their chance!
Oh, I just meant it sounds like they purposely bundled better movies with worse ones to sell more packs.
Old 10-26-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Oh, I just meant it sounds like they purposely bundled better movies with worse ones to sell more packs.
Oh in that case I agree with you completely! I honestly hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right!

Still trying to learn if these are bare bones or if some include the minimal extras they had as standalone titles.
Old 10-26-11, 07:40 PM

Oh in that case I agree with you completely! I honestly hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right!

Still trying to learn if these are bare bones or if some include the minimal extras they had as standalone titles.
I'm not sure about the MGM Midnite Packs, but the Echo Bridge Bundle Packs have no extras whatsoever, not even individual menus for each of the films. The only menu lists the titles (with accompanying picture), you click on it, and it starts the movie. Hit the MENU button at any point and it takes you back to that same menu. In other words, you get what you pay for. I know some of these titles, when sold individually, had few to none extras, while some had quite a few, so I guess it depends on personal preference.
Old 10-27-11, 03:53 PM

ARRRGGH! Just watched the Phantoms/Faculty double feature.
Phantoms PQ was fine.

Faculty? I have never seen a transfer like this.. They took a widescreen movie and SQUEEZED it into a square picture!! Everyone looks skinny.. Too weird to watch.. ugh.. I can't believe I am saying this, but I would have preferred a P&S to this!!

UPDATE: OKay, now I am officially confused. I THOUGHT I understood OAR, but I just plopped in the Faculty on my widescreen TV and it displayed properly. Don't understanding this. Phantoms showed fine in widescreen on my square TV, while Faculty -using the same TV and DVD settings, shows in this squished format, while Faculty shows fine on a widescreen TV!

Can anyone explain this?

Last edited by Steve; 10-28-11 at 10:16 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-27-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Talked myself into picking up at least one if the MGM four packs just to check it out but the Halloween DVD display was gone or moved or whatever. I looked around for a few minutes and then decided it wasn't meant to be. I'll just pick up the separates of the ones I want and that way I know I'll be getting the extras.
Old 10-28-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Steve
ARRRGGH! Just watched the Phantoms/Faculty double feature.
Phantoms PQ was fine.

Faculty? I have never seen a transfer like this.. They took a widescreen movie and SQUEEZED it into a square picture!! Everyone looks skinny.. Too weird to watch.. ugh.. I can't believe I am saying this, but I would have preferred a P&S to this!!

UPDATE: OKay, now I am officially confused. I THOUGHT I understood OAR, but I just plopped in the Faculty on my widescreen TV and it displayed properly. Don't understanding this. Phantoms showed fine in widescreen on my square TV, while Faculty -using the same TV and DVD settings, shows in this squished format, while Faculty shows fine on a widescreen TV!

Can anyone explain this?
The Faculty is probably anamorphic widescreen which squeezes the widescreen image into a 4:3 image which is stretched back into widescreen on a widescreen TV. Maybe your DVD player isn't set up correctly for you TV or there's a flag issue with the DVD. Just guessing without seeing you settings.
Old 05-16-12, 07:40 PM

Stopped into K-Mart tonight and saw that they had quite a few of the Echo Bridge/Miramax DVDs marked down to $2.99. Some of them were film collections, some of them were double features, and a few were single films. I picked up The Grifters/Albino Alligator/The Yards Triple Pack (only wanted it for The Grifters) and Fortress/Total Recall 2070 (obviously only for Fortress). Some other titles I saw include the two Puppet Master Collections, Hellraiser 3 and 4, Children of the Corn 2 and 3, and the other usual suspects. Just thought I would mention it since I haven't seen them this cheap (although some of the transfers aren't the greatest, I know).
On a sidenote, they also had the DVD of The Innkeepers for only $9.99. Was going to get it, but then put it back, which I'm now regretting.
Old 05-16-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Mine has had the display you've mentioned, FilmJunkie. In addition to being marked $2.99, I think they ring up 2 for $5.00.
Old 05-16-12, 08:34 PM

Spotted The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Echo Bridge reprint) in one of the $2.99 bins, mixed in with Halloween sequels and the like.
Old 05-17-12, 12:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FilmJunkie29
On a sidenote, they also had the DVD of The Innkeepers for only $9.99. Was going to get it, but then put it back, which I'm now regretting.
I absolutely loved this movie. Didn't know what to expect going into it, which is always, for me, the best way to do it.