DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Red Box now sells used DVD's (ymmv) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/531030-red-box-now-sells-used-dvds-ymmv.html)

E. Honda 05-07-08 08:46 AM

Red Box now sells used DVD's (ymmv)

I was getting gas this morning, and noticed that the Red Box at the McDonalds is now selling used DVD's. Out of curiosity, I checked out the selection. Completly random what is in each box, but I noticed a good number of recent releases. So for $7 each, I got:

American Gangster (extended version)
Hitman
Shoot 'Em Up
Next
Deja Vu

Not sure if all the Red Boxes are doing this yet, but for me it's great.

Decker 05-07-08 08:50 AM

They've been selling them for ages. Still, you're better off buying used at BBV or Hollywood Video unless you don't mind not having a case for your DVD or not having anyway to inspect your disc before purchasing it.

JiM T 05-07-08 10:57 AM

Yeah, I buy a lot of used discs, but I'm pretty particular about condition. I'd probably draw the line at the Red Box, since who knows what degree of french fry grease and crazed children have gotten to the DVD before I buy it.

rehmus 05-07-08 11:14 AM

wtf is red box?

An4h0ny 05-07-08 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rehmus
wtf is red box?

http://www.redbox.com/

hi there

docdoowop 05-07-08 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by rehmus
wtf is red box?

Thank you....I thought I was alone.

Bigsierra 05-07-08 01:51 PM

I think Redbox support is pretty good. I've had to call them when I've got Pan and Scan version and they gave me a free code.

I'm sure that they would work it out somehow. Maybe give you 7-8 free rental codes. Maybe they will have you mail it back for exchange

When they don't have a live person there, they would have to give you the benefit of the doubt or it would be really bad business.

jewellrunner 05-07-08 02:37 PM

I don't see why anyone would pay $7 for a dvd without a case or any inserts, but maybe that's just me.

New Rambler 05-07-08 03:06 PM

I've rented them with the free Monday codes.....mucho scratchos.....(many scratches).

My Other Self 05-07-08 03:40 PM

I've had numerous defective discs renting from Redbox so I've stopped, but they've always been very helpful in customer service in giving me free rental codes.

darkside 05-07-08 08:42 PM

I've rented there at least a dozen times and have yet to actually spend money. They email and text rental codes, McDonalds was giving the codes away and there are even websites that have the free codes.

Not sure how these guys actually make money with all the free rentals and the fact it is only a $1 to rent anyway.

smashthesymbols 05-07-08 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
I've rented there at least a dozen times and have yet to actually spend money. They email and text rental codes, McDonalds was giving the codes away and there are even websites that have the free codes.

Not sure how these guys actually make money with all the free rentals and the fact it is only a $1 to rent anyway.

I love all the free rental codes. I don't even know how many free movies I've rented. I have a box that's about a three minute walk from my house too, so I don't even need gas to rent a movie. It's great.

I suspect they make more money than you think. The average consumer stumbling across one of these at a McDonald's won't think to go home and get online and look up the free rental codes first. They're also not likely to return the movie the very next day. They'll just put in their info and pick out a movie, then bring it back 8 or 10 days later when they get around to going to McDonald's again.

darkside 05-07-08 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I love all the free rental codes. I don't even know how many free movies I've rented. I have a box that's about a three minute walk from my house too, so I don't even need gas to rent a movie. It's great.

I suspect they make more money than you think. The average consumer stumbling across one of these at a McDonald's won't think to go home and get online and look up the free rental codes first. They're also not likely to return the movie the very next day. They'll just put in their info and pick out a movie, then bring it back 8 or 10 days later when they get around to going to McDonald's again.

As long as it keeps me getting free rentals I hope they do well. We have a box 5 minutes from my house so it is great to pick up a free rental on the way home from work. Don't think I would want used discs from them, but $1 rentals is perfect pricing.

MGR 05-12-08 03:16 PM

Here in southern California they've had Redboxes in a few supermarkets by the entrances, but I was unaware they were in McDonalds in other parts of the country (I've never seen one in any McDonalds here).

$1/day to rent is a good deal (or free with a code which is of course a great deal).
But $7 to buy a used DVD that you can't see before hand (and would have extra hassle exchanging if it was a heavily scratched disc), and also doesn't have a case, just doesn't seem like a bargain to me.

fumanstan 05-12-08 03:48 PM

I don't think i've seen used DVD's for sale at the Red Box I go to. I go to one inside an Albertsons all the time though for rentals.

DVDTalker002 05-12-08 04:29 PM

7 dollars is outrageous.
I think 5 is too much without a proper case and insert.
I'm not sure 3 dollars is even a good price.

Trevor 05-12-08 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by puddytay
7 dollars is outrageous.
I think 5 is too much without a proper case and insert.
I'm not sure 3 dollars is even a good price.

I have my OCD-like quirks too, but just wanted to make sure you knew that wanting a case and/or insert is a quirk. Many DVD collectors here don't give a rat's ass about cases and inserts. And these are quirky DVD collector's that don't care. The general public cares even less, and many immediately throw away the cases and inserts.

I agree with you, and am willing to pay extra for a case, but we're weird for doing that.

cbearnm 05-13-08 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by E. Honda
I was getting gas this morning, and noticed that the Red Box at the McDonalds is now selling used DVD's.

Off topic, but talk about cross merchandising:

Gasoline, Egg McMuffins, DVD rental and DVD sales all in one location. Wow

Steve 05-13-08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I have my OCD-like quirks too, but just wanted to make sure you knew that wanting a case and/or insert is a quirk. Many DVD collectors here don't give a rat's ass about cases and inserts. And these are quirky DVD collector's that don't care. The general public cares even less, and many immediately throw away the cases and inserts.

I agree with you, and am willing to pay extra for a case, but we're weird for doing that.

My ONLY reason for wanting case/artwork is for resale. I am not aware of ANY place that would give you even 50 cents for a dvd without a case/artwork. Blockbuster sometimes sells these, but then they will not buy these from you!

Not sure this is OCD or a quirk. If I don't like a DVD, then I try to sell it and recoup at least some of my investment. I can provide a case (no prob), but without artwork I will be stuck with a disc that I will have to throw away. I am not even sure my local library would take a disc without case/artwork.

Jazzinator 05-14-08 10:09 AM

Well, as someone in the Balto. area, I used to thrive off of the competing HWV and BB used disc sales. HWV is struggling and has closed most of the decent stores in my area. BB has been consolidating and closing stores as well. I can't stand the 2/$20 BB standard sale (I like a dose of indie and foreign with my Hollywood blockbusters, and can't always wait for them to reach $9.99 / 4 for $20 territory).

So, with that basis, I will say Redbox is ok with me. Not thrilled about no cover art / no resale, but at $7 a disc, I average a lot more on rentals with late fees (2 small children = big loss of screen time).

I picked up American Gangster but only got Disc 1 - as a caution.

But, I've also picked up

The Orphanage
Kite Runner
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
Atonement
Assassination of Jesse James
Juno

For the most part, the discs were clean with minimal marks.

Trevor 05-14-08 10:18 AM

I know it is frowned on to mention this in every bargain thread, but why buy used for $7 when you can buy new for $4.75 thru columbia house?

On topic: I've only rented a few times from Red Box, but had no problems with damaged discs.

Also, for those buying from them, cases are like a dime and you can print out the boxart for another 20 cents in paper/ink I imagine.