Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$5 off The Golden Compass in USA Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 03:09 PM
kg3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the sharpen tool in open office a couple times on the individial coupon scan to make the text a little clearer, but the fine print was still not very readable. We printed out the full sheet scan (didn't sharpen this) and the individual coupon scan and brought them into Best Buy, they didn't try to read the fine print at all and just tried scanning the Barcodes from each coupon and it came up as invalid codes. That's when they called the manager who just said to hit the manufacturer's coupon button and put in the $5 amount. I hope this helps!
Old 04-29-08, 03:41 PM
Cool New Member

used it at fye in combination with an in store rebate. that theoretically brought the 2-disc price to $10.99 ($8.99 for the 1-disc), IF the rebate actually gets processed.
Old 04-29-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone! I am going now and hope it works. *keeps fingers crossed* The coupon would make this purchase much more reasonable. If it wasn't for the bonus 3rd disc at BB, I'd go with FYE too, as the mail-in-rebate would be helpful. (That is if it arrives.) I still have yet to see my first rebate yet, for Sweeney Todd but I hear it takes a good 1-2 months at least usually. So here's to hoping!
Old 04-29-08, 04:45 PM

Warning: Only click if you have already seen the movie in its entirety. (Please do not click if you haven't seen the movie.)

Spoiler:
Has anyone heard whether there will be a sequel to the Golden Compass? I actually enjoyed the film A LOT, but am quite hesitant on buying the DVD on account of the ending. The "ending" felt EXTREMELY rushed with no real solid conclusion. At least not in the visual sense. The entire movie felt exactly like part 1 to a two part movie. Bottom line, I think there NEEDS to be a sequel even if its a direct to DVD offering.
Old 04-29-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up the one-disc at circuit city with coupon for a grand total of $10. I'm nowhere near a fye, and i'm kinda short on cash, so I didn't get the two disc. But also, if I know New Line, I smell a three disc extended/director's cut maybe come christmas, in which case I'll get that.

Props though for those slipcovers, all versions are very nice imo.
Old 04-29-08, 05:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
But also, if I know New Line, I smell a three disc extended/director's cut maybe come christmas, in which case I'll get that.
for sure. with unused footage (the book ending) and likely no sequel, i also smell an extended version on the horizon.
Old 04-29-08, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
Picked up the one-disc at circuit city with coupon for a grand total of $10
Pricks at CC said they didn't accept coupons. They said that they were only good at grocery stores and Target....Guess I'll be going to BB. Serves me right for trying to buy something from there again.
Old 04-29-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good news! i got the best buy exclusive 3 disc (packaged inside) for $22.99 - $5 coupon! she didn't even look at it and just manually adjusted on the register. easiest coupon i've ever used! thx everyone esp the wonderful posters!
Old 04-29-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have gotten that 3 disc had I not been short on money and had I not forseen the future. You have pics of that three disc? I'm eager to see it.

Also PrincessJen CC is terrible most of the time. When I went in today, I think there was 10 people there total. Oh, and only 4 of them, including myself, were customers. Shame. Oh well though.
Old 04-30-08, 01:11 AM

Don't have the ability to post a pic of the case itself, but I did a quick internet search and this is the type of case mine came in except it's white.

The Best Buy exclusive disc is held on the far right.
Old 04-30-08, 08:38 AM

Before I head over to BB, for the people with the original scan, is there a provision which says "no copies" allowed? I can't read the stupid thing!
Old 04-30-08, 09:03 AM

Best Buy took the internet printed coupon without any problems in Chicago (North/Clybourn). I also went to the Circuit City to pick up the single disk - the cashier manually took $5 off - their screen shows [COUPONS] and she manually put in 5.00.

So thanks OP for the coupons!!!

Last edited by ramivic; 04-30-08 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 10:25 PM

At my Target in Durham, NC they accepted the $5 coupon without any fuss (and it even scanned properly). Even though it's been three weeks since TGC was released on DVD, I managed to snag the single-disc edition for $14.99 (although you lucky impulse buyers saved even more on release date).