Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

2 out of 3 DVDs for The Vengeance Trilogy at Wal Mart

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 out of 3 DVDs for The Vengeance Trilogy at Wal Mart

For those of you that picked up Director Park Chan-wook's Old Boy Collectors Edition many months ago, I'd like to point out that you can complete what is known as the "Vengeance Trilogy at Wal Mart for a very good price.

The Vengeance Trilogy consists of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Old Boy and concludes with Lady Vengeance. Walmart has a new Asia/Martial Arts DVD display and is selling Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance for $7.50 and Lady Vengeance for $17.44.

I did not see any copies of Old Boy there, but this post is primarily for those that picked up Old Boy Collectors Edition in previous months.

Last edited by HOSALE; 04-10-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are they as good as Old Boy?
Old 04-10-08, 03:56 PM

no, but theyre well worth $26 for the two. theyre excellent films.
Old 04-10-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good price on Mr. Vengeance, Lady can be had for about 40 cents more but no tax at deep discount or wait for the 20% off.
Old 04-10-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Are they as good as Old Boy?
I like them both more than Oldboy, but that's just like my opinion man.
Old 04-10-08, 05:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
"Sympathy For Lady Vengeance" was great. again, not as good as "Oldboy", but it is different and meant to be so. i really liked it more than i thought. i have the fade to B&W version and it is simply gorgeous.
didn't like "Mr." at all.
Old 04-11-08, 06:25 AM

I like all three films, but Oldboy is my favorite. If you like Oldboy, you should at least rent the other two. If you really like Oldboy, I'd just buy them though. IMO, all three films have a high degree of replayability. I can always find something I didn't see upon previous viewings.
Old 04-11-08, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
I like all three films, but Oldboy is my favorite. If you like Oldboy, you should at least rent the other two. If you really like Oldboy, I'd just buy them though. IMO, all three films have a high degree of replayability. I can always find something I didn't see upon previous viewings.
my thoughts precisely.
only thing that confuses me (besides the fact that walmart is carrying a movie thats not entirely mainstream) is why one costs $10 more than the other when they have about the same in terms of features and things. it would be nice to see walmart eventually stick these two in one of their cheapo two-packs somewhere down the line.
Old 04-11-08, 08:31 AM

I think "Oldboy" is a masterpiece, which is why many folks (myself included) thinks it's blasphemous to re-make it in America....not to mention that they will neuter it for wide release due to Nic Cage being the star. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about them changing (or at least, watering down).

"Sympathy for Mr. Vengance" is very, very awesome. For me, it was like watching "Reservoir Dogs"....just a raw, violent, hardcore movie about vengance. In many ways, I think it's more accessible than "Oldboy", so many may like it better.

"Sympathy for Lady Vengance" was my least favorite, but that's putting it up against two incredible films. It's good, but it goes for and falls a little short of the operatic style of "Oldboy" and doesn't have the faster pace of "SfMV".

Just my opinion....if I didn't have these, I'd go out and get them all at this price. Highly recommended blind buy!
Old 04-11-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Oldboy is EXTREMELY overrated. I think that some people are easily impressed by a couple of the scenes (e.g. the hallway "videogame" fight) and the fact it is foreign makes it automatic win. I liked Lady Vengeance more, but even that had its problems. I haven't gotten around to watching my copy of Mr. Vengeance yet. My 1/50th of a dollar.
Old 04-11-08, 09:19 AM
Banned

Anyone kn ow what else is in the "new Asia/Martial Arts DVD display"?
Old 04-11-08, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by rehmus
only thing that confuses me (besides the fact that walmart is carrying a movie thats not entirely mainstream) is why one costs $10 more than the other when they have about the same in terms of features and things.
Probably because Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was released on dvd in the U.S. a year or so before Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (or Lady Vengeance as it's called in the U.S.). Still, it's been out long enough to warrant a cheaper price than $17.44 at Wal-Mart.
Old 04-11-08, 10:53 AM

I love all these films and picked them up a love time ago! Wish I would have waited for this cheaper price though.
Old 04-11-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Anyone know what else is in the "new Asia/Martial Arts DVD display"?
I'd also appreciate it if someone could answer this. Thanks!
Old 04-11-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope they release Lady Vengeance and Mr. Vengeance on Blu Ray like they did old boy
Old 04-11-08, 11:45 AM
Cool New Member

yes, they are as good as Old Boy...they are just not as loved or as popular as Old Boy
Old 04-11-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll get Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance since it is $7.50, so can warrant the blind buy. I'm a cheap bastard, so $17.44 is too much for a blind buy for me. But I'll keep my eye out for a price drop on Lady, if it ever happens...
Old 04-12-08, 01:04 AM

Thanks! Been meaning to pick up these two.
Old 04-12-08, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll get Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance since it is $7.50, so can warrant the blind buy. I'm a cheap bastard, so $17.44 is too much for a blind buy for me. But I'll keep my eye out for a price drop on Lady, if it ever happens...
They are both worth the price in my opinion!
Old 04-13-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone else find these?
The N. Reading, MA store had no such display and didn't have either title mixed in on their normal shelves either.
Old 04-13-08, 04:37 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I think Oldboy is EXTREMELY overrated. I think that some people are easily impressed by a couple of the scenes (e.g. the hallway "videogame" fight) and the fact it is foreign makes it automatic win.
The hallway scene is one of my least favorite in the whole film (nothing against it, that's just how good the film is), so that's not exactly true. I think it's an incredible film, and the rest of the trilogy is every bit as good. I can't even rate them, I love them all for different reasons.

If you love Oldboy, then they're definitely worth the blind buy (then again, they're all very different films...). I couldn't find this at my Wal-Mart, though.
Old 04-13-08, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Anyone else find these?
The N. Reading, MA store had no such display and didn't have either title mixed in on their normal shelves either.
Jah-Wren:

No luck in the Walmart's I checked in Southeast MA (Dartmouth, Raynham, Fall River) either! Maybe this is just in Hosale's state! I'll keep looking as I would like to finish the trilogy.

--John
Old 04-13-08, 10:48 PM

The Walmart I purchased this in was in the Mountain View, CA Walmart (SF Bay Area). We do have a very high Asian and Hispanic population over here, so I don't know if its a regional display or was set up here first and will soon become nation-wide. I'll pop over there again this week and provide a listing and prices for the Asian/Martial arts display section.
Old 04-14-08, 07:20 AM

I'm down in Southern CA and about half of the WalMart's I go to have these set up - selection isn't bad (and even outdoes the local Best Buys). I was in there tonight and snapped a few pictures with my phone (sorry about the quality )
This particular one has 2 'sections' of Asian Cinema:

Old 04-14-08, 07:35 AM
Banned

Thanks for the pics. The prices are terrible on these films. Mr. Vengeance is pretty much the only exception.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.