Reload this Page >

All store exclusives and freebies - 4/07/08 to 4/13/08

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 04-05-08, 11:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

These weekly threads are for the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Thursday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; We'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals

Best Buy -
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 2 disc edition bundled with t-shirt
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - 2 disc edition bundled with "adventurer's sling back pack" in larger box

Target -
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - bonus third DVD
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 2 disc bundled w/ small calendar
Lions for Lambs - script booklet in exclusive slipcase

Circuit City -
I searched and found nothing

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - bundled with plush
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 1 disc theatrical bundled with soundtrack sampler

K-Mart/Sears -

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Barnes and Noble - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Borders - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Costco -

GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - soap

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives - I have not been in the stores to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Last edited by Trevor; 04-15-08 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to their circular, Target will feature a bonus disc with Legend of the Water Horse.
Old 04-08-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
According to the Target ad, Walk Hard has a bonus disc....

"Exclusive calender and bonus disc with Walk Hard standard DVD"

Not exact sure what that means though
Old 04-08-08, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
According to the Target ad, Walk Hard has a bonus disc....

"Exclusive calender and bonus disc with Walk Hard standard DVD"

Not exact sure what that means though
I was wondering the exact same thing.
I guess I'll just have to go by Target to find out...
Old 04-08-08, 12:50 PM

at Target, the on-DVD sticker may imply that while there is an exclusive calendar (visibly packaged with the DVD case underneath the slipcover), the "bonus" disk might just be the 2nd standard disc and not an exclusive... all the sticker says is "BONUS CALENDAR INSIDE: 12 Month Dewey Dates mini calendar included!" (No mention whatsoever of the bonus disc)

anybody find out for sure? and is the calendar worth it?

also, Target also selling Lions For Lambs with exclusive bonust Original Theatrical script. The DVD case and the book (a little thinner than the DVD case) and packaged into one box set (looks similar to the Superbad Target exclusive deluxe set)
Old 04-08-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to Target with the intention of picking up Water Horse(but once my kids saw that the Ben 10 movie was out, they changed their minds with the quickness) and got Walk Hard($16.99) instead. All they had was the 2-disc unrated version with the calendar (apart from the Blurry version, of course). The calendar is about CD booklet sized. I'm going to wait until I've seen the movie to check out its contents; if it's anything like the Anchorman diary, it's mainly references to bits in the movie.

EDIT: Now that the shrinkwrap's off, it's obvious that it's just a conventional calendar with a different Dewey Cox album cover for each month - no exclusive text content at all like the title "Dewey Dates" would suggest. If you're dying to pick out the subtleties of how several famous album covers were parodied in the movie - assuming there isn't already an extra on the second disc that lets you do just that - you might find it worthwhile.

Sleeve with Target sticker:

Still shrink-wrapped DVD with calendar inside:

Last edited by Luther Heggs; 04-09-08 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 02:02 PM

target also had a script with lions for lambs.
Old 04-08-08, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
"Day of the Dead" (2008), i believe has an exclusive to Best Buy lenticular slipcover. pretty nice and only reason i got it. that and to see an actor i like in Ving Rhames stink it up with the others in it.
Old 04-08-08, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
"Day of the Dead" (2008), i believe has an exclusive to Best Buy lenticular slipcover. pretty nice and only reason i got it. that and to see an actor i like in Ving Rhames stink it up with the others in it.
K-mart had the lenticular as well.
Old 04-08-08, 09:56 PM

Partial run and updates made.
Old 04-08-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walk Hard with the T-shirt is hard to get... My store was out within 15 minutes, but a friend got it for me at his store...
Old 04-08-08, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
The slipcover is everywhere. I assume its the movie company's way of trying to polish a big turd of movie.
Old 04-09-08, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
The slipcover is everywhere. I assume its the movie company's way of trying to polish a big turd of movie.
I only saw it at 2 of the 5 stores I checked yesterday, but it could be a YMMV thing at some of them. It was definitely on all the copies at BB and K-Mart.

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Walk Hard with the T-shirt is hard to get... My store was out within 15 minutes, but a friend got it for me at his store...
Yep, I got to my store just before closing and got the last one.
Old 04-09-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ajay C
According to their circular, Target will feature a bonus disc with Legend of the Water Horse.
What's on the disc?
Old 04-09-08, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh
What's on the disc?
Iirc, it was a National Geographic channel type documentary on Loch Ness.
Old 04-09-08, 09:01 PM

Trevor, you are correct about the Target bonus disc.

Also, Toys "R" Us has a Water Horse exclusive as well -- a bar of soap! It's shrinkwrapped to the DVD, and it's one of those bars of soap with a little toy figure inside. In this case, a toy of the water horse (or whatever it's actually called, haven't seen the movie yet). Went to 3 TRU today, only one had them on display. The others claimed ignorance of the promotion: "No, there is no exclusive this week." I've learned to ask multiple people and even hit multiple stores, because this kind of ignorance is everywhere...

Last edited by Ajay C; 04-09-08 at 09:04 PM.