DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Fifth Element & Underworld Evolution [Blu-ray] - $9.99 ea. @ Gamestop B&M (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/528357-fifth-element-underworld-evolution-%5Bblu-ray%5D-%249-99-ea-%40-gamestop-b-m.html)

DirkBelig 03-28-08 10:11 PM

Fifth Element & Underworld Evolution [Blu-ray] - $9.99 ea. @ Gamestop B&M

Ganked from Cheap Ass Gamers and verified by me tonight. As it says, brand new copies of Fifth Element and Underworld Evolution are on a limited-time (don't know deadline) sale for $10. Fifth Element is the old, busted version, so you'll have to exchange it with Sony. (Anyone got the link for that?) The store I went to didn't even know they sold new BDs and had no idea about the sale. It scanned and came up at the register, so it's nationwide.

danicus007 03-29-08 08:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll go check out my local GameStop tomorrow. I don't even have a BluRay player yet, but I plan on getting a PS3 in the next few weeks. How long does it take to get the correct Fifth Element in the mail? Of course since they are the same UPC you could just buy a copy somewhere else and return the old version.

Edit: Just realized the UPC for the remastered version is different. I just bought both movies at GameStop for $9.99 each. Guess it's time to go through the hassle of shipping the bad one back. They didn't have the remastered version.

abintra 03-29-08 08:56 PM

Are these sealed copies or the ones they open but still label as new (I see used DVDs/games there from time to time that are inexplicably still marked/priced as new even though they are opened)?

DirkBelig 03-29-08 09:22 PM

These were brand new in sealed shrinkwraps with stickers and everything.

Someone at CAG pointed out that Amazon is selling T5E for $15 which is only a few bucks more than the cost of buying this and paying to ship back the old one. However, don't they usually send mailers out for you to ship your bad discs back. In which case, this is a moot point. Nevermind.

dx23 03-29-08 09:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

m0vi3fan 03-30-08 10:11 AM

Don't forget to make sure it's the remastered version for Fifth Element.

dsa_shea 03-30-08 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by m0vi3fan
Don't forget to make sure it's the remastered version for Fifth Element.

He said it is not which makes it more of a hassle than it is worth. Thanks OP for posting the deal though!

danicus007 03-30-08 03:06 PM

I decided that instead of going through the trouble of shipping the old Fifth Element to try a price match at Best Buy. They called the GameStop to verify and they confirmed the $9.99 price so BestBuy sold me the new remastered version. YMMV..but worth a try.

dsa_shea 03-30-08 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by danicus007
I decided that instead of going through the trouble of shipping the old Fifth Element to try a price match at Best Buy. They called the GameStop to verify and they confirmed the $9.99 price so BestBuy sold me the new remastered version. YMMV..but worth a try.

Much better idea than buying the craptacular original release and trying to trade/swap it for the new release. "Uh yeah, I have this copy of the movie The Fifth Element and I would like to swap it for another copy. You mean another movie? No, just another copy of the same movie."

Gizmo 03-30-08 06:48 PM

Avoid this version of The Fifth Element by all means. Not worth the shipping hassle to save a few bucks.

DirkBelig 03-30-08 07:19 PM

I've never had great luck with Beast Buy and price-matching when it's not in print. If they call the Gamestop and they don't have it in stock or the clerk doesn't know WTF is going on, you could be wasting a trip. It doesn't take much driving to burn up five bucks in gas these days.

Gizmo 03-30-08 07:37 PM

Good luck price matching at Best Buy as 90% of stores sent back all HD DVD titles.

danicus007 03-30-08 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Good luck price matching at Best Buy as 90% of stores sent back all HD DVD titles.

While that is true, this was a Blu-Ray disk that was price matched. I guess I sort of did myself a favor by purchasing the copy at Gamestop first. The clerk there didn't know about the deal and had a few copies in his drawer by the register. He rang them up and sure enough they were $10. I then went to Best Buy and asked for the price match knowing that same employee was in the Gamestop store. They called there and got him and he confirmed the price for them. No problems.

DirkBelig 03-31-08 09:57 AM

Just received this note from Sony:

Dear Dirk,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment products.

To receive an exchange for the remastered Fifth Element Blu-ray disc, please return your Blu-ray disc (case not needed) to the following address:

SPHE Consumer Support
PO Box 157
Neenah, WI 54957
Attn: [redacted in case it was a PIN]

Please be sure to include your return address (no PO Boxes) and a copy of this email. Your replacement will be shipped to you via Fed Ex Ground, and please allow 3-5 weeks for delivery.

Regards,

Adam Williams
SPHE Consumer Affairs Team

Larbo 03-31-08 10:33 AM

Can someone list the UPC codes for the 2 versions?

Sweet Baby James 03-31-08 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Larbo
Can someone list the UPC codes for the 2 versions?

Fifth Element UPC # 043396150188

Fifth Element Remastered UPC # 043396215207

Larbo 03-31-08 11:00 AM

SBJ- Thanks!!

Sweet Baby James 03-31-08 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Larbo
SBJ- Thanks!!

No problem. If you ever need a UPC, check out www.dvdempire.com .

danicus007 03-31-08 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Just received this note from Sony:

Dear Dirk,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment products.

To receive an exchange for the remastered Fifth Element Blu-ray disc, please return your Blu-ray disc (case not needed) to the following address:

SPHE Consumer Support
PO Box 157
Neenah, WI 54957
Attn: [redacted in case it was a PIN]

Please be sure to include your return address (no PO Boxes) and a copy of this email. Your replacement will be shipped to you via Fed Ex Ground, and please allow 3-5 weeks for delivery.

Regards,

Adam Williams
SPHE Consumer Affairs Team

Damn!! 3-5 weeks!!! Glad I was able to PM at Best Buy on this one.

DirkBelig 05-01-08 03:54 AM

FYI: After a couple weeks, I sent off the disc for <$1 and they FedEx'ed back the remastered version in a sealed retail case yesterday. Total cost: ~$11.50; total time: a few weeks. No biggie for me.