General Costco DVD Thread

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

General Costco DVD Thread

Old 04-30-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: General Costco DVD Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Went to Costco for the first time in about 6 or 7 months yesterday. I noticed that their DVD selection is practically non-existent now (and they don't sell any video games nor CDs). Is this happening company-wide? Are they getting away from selling DVDs.
It always happens this time of year. Usually the weekend after Easter till the week before schools let out their DVD selection is at an all time low. But by the time summer comes it will grow and be as large as ever by thanksgiving.

I think it's because Costco generally only purchases catalog content (in very large quantities) once a year at the beginning of November and a lot of it sits in the wherehouse until the stores need a refil.
Old 05-02-12, 04:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
It always happens this time of year. Usually the weekend after Easter till the week before schools let out their DVD selection is at an all time low. But by the time summer comes it will grow and be as large as ever by thanksgiving.

I think it's because Costco generally only purchases catalog content (in very large quantities) once a year at the beginning of November and a lot of it sits in the wherehouse until the stores need a refil.
My Costco's DVD section was anemic over the last summer and someone said that's because "They don't stock much over the summer because people are out vacationing." I'd wager the exact comments are many pages back in this very thread, but I'm not going to go look. Now, if the first part of your theory is true (don't take this as bashing), and what I was told is also true, then basically Costco has little to no DVD selection from Easter until the end of August, at least. That's nearly half the year.

It didn't used to be like that.

They've definitely cut way back on DVDs and Blus. Even over the holiday madness it was at least a giant table less than it was in years past.

When I was in a couple of weeks ago, I think my Costco was down to a half table, with the summer clothing spilling over in what used to be video game/CD/software/DVD space.

And this is a Costco in a pretty affluent area.

I think a couple of factors are in play - online streaming/subscription services, the gradual decline of DVD, the failure of Blu-ray to pace or surpass DVD in comparative sales (likely due to streaming).

Physical media, as much as I love it, is on the way out.

I'm just shocked Costco has such a large book section still. I guess iPads, Kindles, and Nooks haven't obliterated that market just yet.
Old 05-02-12, 10:04 AM

I'll throw in my 2 cents to kodave's post. I haven't been into a Costco for about a year (I go with other people as I haven't been a member for a long time), but I remember when I went the movie section was pretty small compared to how it was maybe 5-10 years ago when I was a member. It doesn't surprise me to hear it's small, but I bet it's still bigger than my Sam's Club movie section which is down to 2 endcaps and 1 side of a short shelf shelf (maybe 10 feet long). Several years ago Sam's Club had 1 side of a very long shelf (I'd guess 50 feet). I used to find good deals occasionally, but since they cut the inventory down to almost except overpriced new releases I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD from either Sam's Club or Costco. Walmart and BB have trimmed their movie sections too in recent years. A BB supervisor even told me they wanted to carry less physical media to push people to Cinema Now streaming (I have no idea how that strategy is working). Seriously Fry's Electronics is the only store in my area with a decent selection, but their prices aren't that good except a handful of the same-old same-old sale titles.

So, with smaller and smaller movie sections as the new norm, and sadly what little most stores do carry are mostly overpriced new releases, so stores have effectively made it easy for me now to ignore their movie sections. I can go to Sam's and scan their movie section in under a minute. I feel absolutely no temptation to go to Costco, Walmart, or BB just to look at their movie sections for deals. Instead, I wait for posted or advertised deals and buy those specific items. Most of my movie purchases come from Black Friday-Christmas sales. The rest of the year it's a big ho-hum.
Old 05-02-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

It didn't used to be like that.
Yep. I used to go to Costco more frequently - usually once every couple months, and never noticed a fluctuation in the amount of their DVD offerings. They used to have a DVD section that equaled the size of their book section. Now it's down to a tiny section - probably 20% the size of their book section..

I too figured it was due to online content. Like I said - I didn't see any CDs offered - I'm guessing Itunes obliterated that.
Old 05-02-12, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like I should also add that the video games have their own cart/stand thing and sometimes its no where to be found, and sometimes it floats around the store, anywhere from next to the books/DVDs, sometimes its buried in the barrier between clothing and snack food, sometimes its in with the seasonal items, etc.

I did notice that whatever software Costco is still selling (TurboTax, MS Office, etc.) is now piled over by the laptops, which isn't a bad idea.

Audio CDs seem gone, but at the same time, I never really saw current album offerings, if you know what I mean. Most everything seemed to be compilations and some box sets and stuff like that, which is probably more enticing than the standard "1 song I like, 9 songs I don't care about" album format. But I guess older folks weren't even buying those.

But I don't expect the movie section to expand to more than a table and a half at best, even over the holidays. I assume from here on out, half a table will be as good as it gets.
Old 05-02-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

I've been going to Costco for 4 or 5 years. The DVD/BD section has always fluctuated in size throughout the year, however in the last year or so the peak size has definitely been reduced.

For what it's worth, the Costco I primarily go to still has CDs and the selection is about as big as it's always been (no more than 20 or so titles at best).
Old 05-02-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I saw the current Dr. Who Seasons 1-5 for $39.99 each. All but Season 6 were available.

The thing is that a lot of what Costco got in the past were the Warner Bros. Fox, and Sony Box sets. Since none of the studios produces many of these anymore there is less for Costco to get unless they get the older sets such as the Looney Tunes , Frank Capra, Rita Hayworth, the Warner Signature sets etc. all of which they have had before. Recent releases at Costco are not much cheaper then you find are Best Buy or Target. Sometimes more expensive at Costco when the others are having a good sale.

Beginning May 10 Costco will have instant off (no coupon needed) on certain Disney movies such as Lady and the Tramp. $5 off DVD $8 off Blu ray per coupon book I received today.

Last edited by Classic Films; 05-03-12 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 11:55 PM

Justice League Complete Series for $69.99.
Old 05-12-12, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TerryW
Justice League Complete Series for $69.99.
I would give that set a good shake before buying - I tried a couple times to get it from Amazon but had to keep returning it for broken disc mounts and floaters. For a while amazon had pulled it bc apparently a lot of people were getting bad sets.
Old 05-13-12, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kodave

I think a couple of factors are in play - online streaming/subscription services, the gradual decline of DVD, the failure of Blu-ray to pace or surpass DVD in comparative sales (likely due to streaming).

Physical media, as much as I love it, is on the way out.

I'm just shocked Costco has such a large book section still. I guess iPads, Kindles, and Nooks haven't obliterated that market just yet.
Costco has for a long time treated media a seasonal item building up stock as they get closer to the holiday. You mention streaming but said nothing about EST (Electronic Sell Thru) which the studios prefer and is also on the increase.
While physical media may be in decline (or last quarter it was flat) we still have a long way to go before we dont see any Physical media at stores. Buying media is much easier to purchase online as many now do. I would not be too concerned if you are one who purchases your media as Electronic Sell Thru will still be around as you will probably see sell thru kiosks at stores if you want to make a purchase. Around $10 billion in sales of Physical and EST last year. Hardly chump change and that number is larger than most industries in general. Sell thru is not going away. When the UV Common File Format (CFF) is released later this year it will allow for menu's extras etc just like the Current optical media disc standards do.

I think we live in a great age where all our media is at our fingertips and we are able to purchase, rent or consume our media however we choose.

Last edited by ChuckWL; 05-13-12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-13-12, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
A BB supervisor even told me they wanted to carry less physical media to push people to Cinema Now streaming (I have no idea how that strategy is working).
Cinema Now is also a sell-thru location they are not just a streaming website. You can purchase and download movies from their service. Since they own the service of course they are going to be pushing you to that arena. The problem with this is by doing Cinema Now they are also making me go to the stores less and less as I used to go every Tuesday for new releases and would always buy something else at the store while I was there. Now I just buy off of Amazon. Unfortunately Best Buy is now an Amazon showroom for many.
Old 05-14-12, 03:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

saw Dark Shows Collection 1-4 for $20 each. Wish they had the Beginning collections though
Old 05-14-12, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
saw Dark Shows Collection 1-4 for $20 each. Wish they had the Beginning collections though
IMHO - if you are watching the series for the first time Collection 1 is actually the perfect place to start. 'The Beginnings' are mostly for the die-hards; and everything you need to know will be spelled out for you numerous times.
Old 05-14-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by critterdvd
IMHO - if you are watching the series for the first time Collection 1 is actually the perfect place to start. 'The Beginnings' are mostly for the die-hards; and everything you need to know will be spelled out for you numerous times.
I disagree, though I know I'm in the minority. I'm about halfway through watching the entire series for the first time and I still don't think anything has matched the quality of the pre-Barnabas episodes. I am enjoying the series, but I just found the first two hundred shows to be the most compelling so far. I'm really glad I began at the start and didn't skip them.
Old 05-16-12, 01:14 PM
Cool New Member

Blu Criterions at Costco! Today saw 12 Angry Men, The Last Emperor, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrenece and The Thin Red Line at 19.99 each. At 50% off, this matches the B&N sales, although you miss adding the additional coupons they so frequently offer. Still, an encouraging sign--hope they carry more in the future.

Last edited by IN THE DARK; 05-16-12 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 05:00 PM

I saw the first 4 seasons of I Love Lucy for $13.99 per season.
Old 05-19-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChuckWL
Cinema Now is also a sell-thru location they are not just a streaming website. You can purchase and download movies from their service. Since they own the service of course they are going to be pushing you to that arena. The problem with this is by doing Cinema Now they are also making me go to the stores less and less as I used to go every Tuesday for new releases and would always buy something else at the store while I was there. Now I just buy off of Amazon. Unfortunately Best Buy is now an Amazon showroom for many.
Back in the 90's when BB came to town, I went every Sat/Sun and every day I had off. I think I have been maybe 4 times to the BB I live by now, in the past year, and can only remember buying a lens filter for a camera I bought at Costco. Come to think of it, I have not been in a BB this year and have never heard of Cinema Now until now. I have not found much of anything I wanted at Costco for awhile in the Dvd department. The last I remember was the Disney Blu-Ray Combo Pack Collectable Gift Sets that were 9.99, I think that was September or so.
Old 05-24-12, 11:22 AM

Federal Way WA has boxsets for $12.99 each including:

John Wayne Fox Westerns (Big Trail, Comancheros, Undefeated, North To Alaska)
Sergio Leone Anthology (Man With No Name Trilogy, Duck You Sucker)
Magnificent Seven (All four)
Outlaws (Broken Lance, Forty Guns, Culpepper Cattle Company, The Proud Ones)
Old 06-05-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

The Costco in Rego Park, NY has The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection set for $54.99
Old 06-09-12, 05:22 PM

I saw 3 of the Fox Classic 4 disc sets for $8.99 each.

Fox Studio Classics Collection (Black Widow / Call Northside 777 / Dangerous Crossing / Laura)
Classic Quad Set 11 (The Blue Max / The Desert Fox / Immortal Sergeant / Sink the Bismarck)
Classic Quad Set 4 (The Agony and the Ecstasy / The Bible / Demetrius and the Gladiators / The Robe)

Also Norman Lear Collection for I think about $51. I still don't think it is worth it. It currently is selling at Amazon for $95.03 ( Newbury for-filled by Amazon) Still only place to buy unaired pilots of All In The Family. They have been uploaded on youtube.
Old 06-11-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Saw some of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections (the original releases) for $18.99. I know I saw 1, 4 and 6, I grabbed #4 as that was the last one I needed of those releases.
Old 06-13-12, 08:19 AM

At Federal Way/Puyallup WA - I, Claudius - $26.99
Old 06-18-12, 06:09 PM

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu-ray for $49.99 -- I finally bought it at *that* price.
Old 07-03-12, 04:41 PM

I saw Seasons 1 - 4 of Magnum PI for $7.99 each.

Also Twilight Zone Seasons 1-5 for $ 26.00 each.

Some Universal box sets for $28.99

Marx Bros.
Preston Sturges
WC Fields not sure if vol 1 or2

Prices are ok but have been cheaper in the fourth quarter.

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-06-12 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 09:08 PM

Rumple of the Bailey complete series $21.99. 42 episodes.

Currently $44.25 at Amazon through 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Rumpole-Bailey...+of+the+Bailey

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.