Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hollywood Video Store Closing Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hollywood Video Store Closing Bargains

My dad and I went to my nearest store, they were closing TODAY. When we got there, $14.99 movies were $1.00 and $9.99 movies were marked down to $.50. While we were there looking, they announced half off. So New releases = $.50 and library titles = $.25.

We walked out with a box of 91 movies with a retail of $1,037 all for $31!!!!

PS: I figure there is a thread about this somewhere. I looked and only found some stuff on HD deals and a list of closings, but nothing on the bargains.

Pics:
That beautiful sign:

The box

A portion of my portion lol

Closeups:

Old 03-15-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
OMG, you got a bunch of random mediocre TV shows; many of which are incomplete sets!
Old 03-15-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
OMG, you got a bunch of random mediocre TV shows; many of which are incomplete sets!
Well, the other half is movies and the rest of the sets, but my camera died. And I'm out of batteries. Still sorting through though.
Old 03-16-08, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
PS: I figure there is a thread about this somewhere. I looked and only found some stuff on HD deals and a list of closings, but nothing on the bargains.
Actually, there is such a thread ("Hollywood Video Store Closing Sale - Post Your Finds!"), but it is over on the Store Forum (you may not have seen it because there hasn't been a post there since February!):

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=514741

Good finds, by the way, for a final day Hollywood Video sale.

One of our Hollywood Videos is also closing in Charlotte, NC (last day Monday) and yesterday (Friday) everything had gone down to $1.99 or buy 10 or more, get them for $1.00 each.

My brother and I wound up buying 80 or so movies, some of which they let us have at .80 each. This particular store had a wonderful selection of classics and foreign films (including over 30 Criterions - which we had picked up at higher prices earlier in the sale).

I'm sure the price probably went down again today to figures close to what you found, but since people were grabbing up shopping carts full on Friday while we were there, I'm sure there would have been next to nothing left today if we had waited.
Old 03-16-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Autolycus
Actually, there is such a thread ("Hollywood Video Store Closing Sale - Post Your Finds!"), but it is over on the Store Forum (you may not have seen it because there hasn't been a post there since February!):

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=514741

Good finds, by the way, for a final day Hollywood Video sale.

One of our Hollywood Videos is also closing in Charlotte, NC (last day Monday) and yesterday (Friday) everything had gone down to $1.99 or buy 10 or more, get them for $1.00 each.

My brother and I wound up buying 80 or so movies, some of which they let us have at .80 each. This particular store had a wonderful selection of classics and foreign films (including over 30 Criterions - which we had picked up at higher prices earlier in the sale).

I'm sure the price probably went down again today to figures close to what you found, but since people were grabbing up shopping carts full on Friday while we were there, I'm sure there would have been next to nothing left today if we had waited.
There wasn't a lot left here either, about 10 racks worth, and most were being picked apart as we were there.

Yeah, I didn't see that thread. I'll head over there now. So I guess in essence this thread could be locked/moved.
Old 03-16-08, 08:40 AM

Not bad! I picked up a stack of Criterions for $7.50 each and some 360 games for $5 each before mine closed.
Old 03-16-08, 09:55 AM

It sucks how they separated the boxsets into individual discs though.
Old 03-16-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sandman007
It sucks how they separated the boxsets into individual discs though.
All video stores do that to make more money on rental fees.
Old 03-16-08, 04:28 PM

Have fun with those goddamned stickers. My fingers are sore for days after dealing with them.
Old 03-16-08, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
What did you get?
Old 03-16-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Boba Fett, you're a dickhead. You've been threadcrapping seemingly non-stop lately. Get a life.
Old 03-16-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Have fun with those goddamned stickers. My fingers are sore for days after dealing with them.
Haha yeah, I think in the long run I'm going to get new cases for them, so that solves half the problem. But not the red stickers on the spine.
Old 03-16-08, 09:33 PM
Cool New Member

The main shows I see in those pictures are 30 Rock and How I Met Your Mother, which are brilliant. So I can't figure out what you're talking about.

You got lucky OP. I went to my local HWV soon after the store closing announcement and I found absolutely nothing worth buying.
Old 03-17-08, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
Haha yeah, I think in the long run I'm going to get new cases for them, so that solves half the problem. But not the red stickers on the spine.
I've had good luck removing the red stickers from the spines of the paper inserts with a minimum of damage by using lighter fluid and a lot of patience, taking care to remove the stickers very slowly - if you go too fast you can damage the paper.

The success of this technique also depends on the type of paper and ink used to print the insert - some ink will run and smear no matter how careful you are in removing the sticker.