Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

14.99 PV HD-DVD at Hollywood Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GenPion
Does anyone think bigger HD-DVD savings are on the way? Or will this be the average sell price? I want to see if I can snag any at my Hollywood Video... but I wont if better deals are right around the corner. Of course, there's no way to really tell is there...
Dunno. $7.50 plus tax is pretty good but it is a limited selection at HV. This assumes you use the BOGO at $15 each.
Old 02-23-08, 06:35 PM

Does anyone think bigger HD-DVD savings are on the way? Or will this be the average sell price? I want to see if I can snag any at my Hollywood Video... but I wont if better deals are right around the corner. Of course, there's no way to really tell is there...

I think $10 is going to be the sell through point for the majority of every store's HD-DVD inventory. I asked a Best Buy manager I know and he said that some of the HD-DVDs were going back to the distributer (he wasn't sure yet which titles) and they would clearance the rest.
Old 02-23-08, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akolang2
which coupon is this?

In the front of the store there should be a small rack with "movie companion" booklets on it. They have B1G1 coupons inside. Ask an employee if you cannot find them.
Old 02-23-08, 07:05 PM

Thanks, clintilona
Old 02-23-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bastards. Drove all the way down there, it was the only Hollywood Video selling hd-dvds. Eastern Promises and The Kingdom were both 14.99, but they wouldn't let me use the coupon because they weren't categorized as "previously viewed". This was a franchise store and they said they were taking a big hit by letting me use the coupon. Since I drove all the way there, I bought them anyway.

I couldn't even get the 2 for 20 either. This will probably be my last HD-DVD purchase, unless I can get them for under $10.

I hate the whole franchise thing it's really confusing for the consumer.
Old 02-23-08, 07:23 PM

From what univerisal and paramount said, I doubt too much clearance sales will be going on ~new~ product. The reason is they are to have said that they will replenish any titles that are currently out if there is a demand for them.
Old 02-23-08, 08:40 PM
Banned

In a weird way, it's a great time to be an HD DVD owner!
Old 02-23-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Bastards. Drove all the way down there, it was the only Hollywood Video selling hd-dvds. Eastern Promises and The Kingdom were both 14.99, but they wouldn't let me use the coupon because they weren't categorized as "previously viewed". This was a franchise store and they said they were taking a big hit by letting me use the coupon. Since I drove all the way there, I bought them anyway.

I couldn't even get the 2 for 20 either. This will probably be my last HD-DVD purchase, unless I can get them for under $10.

I hate the whole franchise thing it's really confusing for the consumer.
I'm sure they'll make a shitload more money when they sell them at regular prices a few months from now.

Buncha idiots.

Does HV have a 30-day price guarantee? Buy them now and come back in a few weeks.
Old 02-23-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
The store nearest me in Reston, VA put their HD-DVDs up for sale, but by the time I got there the selection had been pretty well picked over. I did get Transformers and The Host. Both disks were immaculate.
Old 02-23-08, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Does HV have a 30-day price guarantee? Buy them now and come back in a few weeks.
You can't do a return/rebuy on previously viewed titles and I think that would include a price guarantee. I got rejected when I decided I didn't want the hacked up Transformers sleeve and tried to exchange it. Ah well, that's the way it goes sometimes.
Old 02-23-08, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bob330i
You can't do a return/rebuy on previously viewed titles and I think that would include a price guarantee. I got rejected when I decided I didn't want the hacked up Transformers sleeve and tried to exchange it. Ah well, that's the way it goes sometimes.
Why the transformers sleeve were hacked up?
Old 02-23-08, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by dfxartist
From what univerisal and paramount said, I doubt too much clearance sales will be going on ~new~ product. The reason is they are to have said that they will replenish any titles that are currently out if there is a demand for them.
I saw King of California and Elizabeth - Golden Age on there too.. They both are newly released ... but has a Prev.Viewed sticker on it for 14.99 too
Old 02-24-08, 12:03 AM
Cool New Member

hd

The cashier said these weren't part of the 2 for 20. I told her that I read on the internet that they were doing this. She said okay and she just changed the price. Sweet. I got american gangster, blade runner, transformers and harry potter 3.
Old 02-24-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Strange stories about managers not allowing 2 for $20. At the one I was at today, she came over, first making sure I knew these were High Def titles, and then mentioning that they were also part of the 2 for $20 deal...
Old 02-24-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
In her case I guess HD meant Highly Dumb.
Old 02-24-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I managed to find three Hollywood Videos and I made out with some good deals. Some of the people working there were nice enough to combine offers and I got some for only $5. Most of them cost me the "Buy One, Get One" coupon... so around $8 a piece with tax.

Here's my list:
Flags of Our Fathers
Zodiac
Blood Diamond
Stardust
Eastern Promises
The Amateurs
The Invasion
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
The Fountain
The Brave One
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
The Kingdom
Mission Impossible 3: 2-Disc Edition
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The Host

I actually noticed a few more I might want. I'm thinking about going back to get them. Overall, I believe I spent $135 with tax included. Then I proceeded to go on eBay and I ordered 30 HD-DVD replacement cases with the HD-DVD logo on them. That set me back around $25. So $160 for 18 HD-DVD's is what it looks like at the moment. But I'm going to go back and get more... and spend more money. Yikes! I'm gonna feel so broke after this. As long as the discs are still High Def, what's the risk, right? I can still play them after all. I haven't invested in Blu Ray. In fact this is my first big investment in HD-DVD. Prior to tonight I only owned five titles: three of which were freebies.
Old 02-24-08, 08:35 AM

any locations in maryland?
Old 02-24-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just called both locations here in Orlando. One is closing down and never had HD-DVDs, and the other store that is staying open never had any either.
Old 02-24-08, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jedi_shadow
The cashier said these weren't part of the 2 for 20. I told her that I read on the internet that they were doing this. She said okay and she just changed the price. Sweet. I got american gangster, blade runner, transformers and harry potter 3.
Cumming, GA was the only store around Atlanta doing it. Drove 30 miles to it, had a sign saying "2 for 20 does not apply." However, did not have a sign saying anything about coupons...so, it was BOGO @ 14.99 w/coupons....I picked up

Elizabeth: TGA
M:I:3
Mission Impossible
Zodiac Directors Cut

All for about $31. In total, my friends and I got 12. Great deal.
Old 02-24-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I went to a Movie Gallery down the street from my house and it seems they too have never even had HD movies. So I am 0 for 2 on the closest HV and MG to my house. I don't think I want to drive around anymore for this.

I'l just wait for the sales.
Old 02-24-08, 11:39 AM

I got:

Elizabeth TGA
Black Snake Moan
MI: 1, 2, and 3
Bourne Supremacy
The Invasion
Disturbia
40 yo Virgin
Terminator 3

There's another one near me that hasn't changed em over yet, but is holding me Blade Runner. I'll probably get it with The Brave One.
Old 02-24-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just got back from another trip to Hollywood Video.

This round I got:

Transformers
V for Vendetta
Batman Begins
Aeon Flux
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

All for around $45. Bringing my total in-take to 26 HD-DVD's w/ red cases to $200. Take into account that I spent around $40 on my HD-A2, and got 4 Free Movies: Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining, Hot Fuzz, and King Kong that's bring the total to $240. I purchased Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on HD-DVD brand new for $25. So I've spent an approximate total of $265 for my High Definition investment. Even though HD-DVD lost the format war that's still not that bad a deal for 31 movies and the player (which works as an awesome upscaler). Hopefully they will release a reduced Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player down the line I can purchase and just blend them in with Blu Ray titles. Then I can use my current player for a different room or just save it as backup.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with this. It's way more than I intended to invest (especially with the nail in the coffin) but the movies do play just fine. And it's better than $400 for a PS3 with 1 movie. Of course, I do like video games... We'll see if I actually get around to that or not. I'm not sure I can connect a PS3 and HD-DVD player to my TV at the same time and that would be an issue for me.

Last edited by GenPion; 02-24-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-24-08, 12:45 PM
Banned

None near me. Is anyone willing to look for some titles for me in exchange for some compensation?
Old 02-24-08, 12:53 PM

Wow, I didn't know about this sale. I'm going to have to check mine out tomorrow morning...
Old 02-24-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not sure I can connect a PS3 and HD-DVD player to my TV at the same time and that would be an issue for me.
If you can't, then just get an HDMI switch. The cheap manual ones are less than $20 and for about twice that you can get an automatic one.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...01&cp_id=10110

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.