Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Borders in Wayne NJ going out of business-- 25 percent off all items

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders in Wayne NJ going out of business-- 25 percent off all items

Old 01-01-08, 10:25 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,303
Borders in Wayne NJ going out of business-- 25 percent off all items

I was there tonight, and I haven't bought DVDs in a while, but they are running their buy any 2 DVDs in the store and get one free. Then 25 percent off that. The sale started Dec 26, and things are slightly picked over but plenty left.

Their prices aren't great with all these discounts, but its worth a look. Tons of box sets of all sorts, and I ended up buying 9 criterions for about 150 bucks, lots of blind buys of stuff I haven't seen. I know I got amongst them:

The Leopard
La Haine
The Lower Depths
A Band of Outsiders
Virgin Spring

And a few others. Also bought a ton of Dylan CDs at 10 bucks a clip that got marked down to 7.50.

Books seem really not picked over at all, so some good bargains abound.
The Nature Boy is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 10:33 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 53
is this chainwide?
Choking-Hazard is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 11:04 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 648
No, doubt it as we had one close recently (in the last year I believe) and have not seen any others here. Also they are launching a new site in 2008, divesiting themselves of Amazon, so they are not likely going out of business. Anything is possible though. It is probably just an underperforming store.

Magazines were not discounted; you could still use your Borders Reward card and get dollars accruing; current Borders' coupons could also be used BUT NOT stacked with the current discounts. In other words, you can get the greater discount of the OOB or weekly coupon. Yes, any sales like 3 for 2 DVD's, etc. also work at the out-of-business sale and the discount on top of it. And OOB discount on their bargain books too.

DVD's did go somewhat fast and especially the bargain books, with that extra discount. The higher the discount the faster the bargain books went. CD's did not seem to go nearly as fast as the DVD's.

Their discount though, did not go below 40% off books, DVDs, CDs. The "accessories" like bookmarks and notecards, etc. (near the front) were higher, quickly reaching 50% and 75% off and cleaned out quickly.

Do not forget to checkout behind the checkout for DVD box sets, especially the megasets. Also check inventory on www.bordersstores.com and beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/Home. The latter is better for showing the current discounts and locations' inventory.

I once found a boxset that the inventory said was online but when I looked for it I could not find it. When I asked someone, they said it was up at the checkout behind the counter. So if you do not see it, and especially if supposedly in inventory, ask.

Good luck in your bargain hunting!
forumsmy is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 11:12 PM
  #4  
Zbu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 524
I doubt it. I live near Ann Arbor and Borders is opening yet another store in Oak Valley Center where CompUSA used to be. That would bring their total stores in the area up to three and this would be the closest to the Main Store that's on the U of M campus.

I think they're just restructuring a few things since they sell their DVDs for face value and will easily get their asses kicked by Best Buy and various other B&Ms, not to mention the online competition.
Zbu is offline  
Old 01-01-08, 11:47 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,303
No, this one store is going. It is in the dumpy mall next to Willowbrook(if you know the area it makes sense). That whole thing is going to be gutted and this was a casualty with no new location announced, which is suprising. It always seemed to have a crowd there, but maybe they're satisfied with the one they opened in Riverdale up Route 23 10 minutes away or so. Of course, its Jersey, and we live in a Flintstones backdrop where the same retail chains repeat every mile or so.
The Nature Boy is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 08:31 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Bahston
Posts: 519
So the old West Belt Mall is history, eh? Grew up in Wayne and was over there quite a bit. I think there used to be a huge record store, Disc-O-Mat, there. Used to be a Nathans hot dog restaurant there, a movie theater in the parking lot, saw Murder by Death there when I was like 8, and i guess Fortunoffs is still there (registered there for my wedding 10+ years ago). So is it still going to be a mall, or is it going the way of other mixed use spaces? I still can't understand how someone would plunk down over half a mil for a condo at the mall (Columbia, MD, Natick, MA, Columbus, OH, etc . . .)
hobbes4444 is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 09:17 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Posts: 3,905
Might have to check this out...I work in Roseland and live in Morristown...so 10 mins out of my way might be worth it.
macnorton is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 12:41 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,573
Borders is leaving Amazon? Lame, I love being able to use Borders gift cards I get on Amazon.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 04:15 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,104
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Borders is leaving Amazon? Lame, I love being able to use Borders gift cards I get on Amazon.
No exact date yet, but expected to be before April

This is what it'll look like (you can't order from here yet)
http://beta.BordersStores.com
GuessWho is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 04:48 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,461
Borders closing the book on store

Home News Tribune Online 01/2/08

By MARY ANN BOURBEAU
STAFF WRITER
[email protected]

EAST BRUNSWICK Much to the dismay of area bibliophiles, the Borders Books & Music store in the MidState Mall will soon close its doors for good.

The 24,500-square-foot store, which has been located in the Route 18 shopping center since October 1992, will be shut down as of Jan. 12. There is no big going-out-of-business banner hanging outside. A sign inside the store alerts shoppers to the impending closure.

Though all the merchandise in the store is currently selling for 25 percent off, it doesn't console regular customers who were dismayed to hear of the closing.

"I feel so bad," said Mary Russo of Monroe. "This is my favorite bookstore."

Dmitry Esterov of Dayton also expressed his disappointment.

"I'm sad to see this place go," he said. "I come here pretty frequently. I came for the Harry Potter book party, and it was fun."

Employees have told customers that the store is closing because Borders and the mall's management could not agree on a time frame for a new lease. However, Kolleen O'Meara, a public relations specialist for Borders corporate office in Ann Arbor, Mich., said the company is closing many of its "underperforming" stores, and this is one of them. The mall's owner did not return a call to his office on Monday.

At least half of the company's 520 Waldenbooks stores are being shut down, as are the slower Borders stores. There are 515 Borders stores in the United States and 31 in other countries, according to the company's Web site.

O'Meara said the company is working with the store's 27 employees in case they want to transfer to other stores. The nearest Borders stores are in Watchung, Bridgewater and Freehold, and there is a Borders Express in Woodbridge Center.

Dudley Beach of Cranbury visits Borders weekly and said that it is much more than just a bookstore.

"It's a place to hang out," he said. "There are a lot of regulars here. People come to play chess or discuss books and issues. It's really a community space. It's definitely going to be a tremendous loss."

Courtney Averette was at Borders on Monday to shop the sale, but only because she had received a gift card for Christmas.

"I love books, and I love to read," said the Somerset resident. "Seeing any book store shut down is a disappointment, but I usually go to Barnes & Noble."
ernestrp is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 07:36 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,303
Originally Posted by ernestrp
Borders closing the book on store

Home News Tribune Online 01/2/08

By MARY ANN BOURBEAU
STAFF WRITER
[email protected]

EAST BRUNSWICK Much to the dismay of area bibliophiles, the Borders Books & Music store in the MidState Mall will soon close its doors for good.

The 24,500-square-foot store, which has been located in the Route 18 shopping center since October 1992, will be shut down as of Jan. 12. There is no big going-out-of-business banner hanging outside. A sign inside the store alerts shoppers to the impending closure.

Though all the merchandise in the store is currently selling for 25 percent off, it doesn't console regular customers who were dismayed to hear of the closing.

"I feel so bad," said Mary Russo of Monroe. "This is my favorite bookstore."

Dmitry Esterov of Dayton also expressed his disappointment.

"I'm sad to see this place go," he said. "I come here pretty frequently. I came for the Harry Potter book party, and it was fun."

Employees have told customers that the store is closing because Borders and the mall's management could not agree on a time frame for a new lease. However, Kolleen O'Meara, a public relations specialist for Borders corporate office in Ann Arbor, Mich., said the company is closing many of its "underperforming" stores, and this is one of them. The mall's owner did not return a call to his office on Monday.

At least half of the company's 520 Waldenbooks stores are being shut down, as are the slower Borders stores. There are 515 Borders stores in the United States and 31 in other countries, according to the company's Web site.

O'Meara said the company is working with the store's 27 employees in case they want to transfer to other stores. The nearest Borders stores are in Watchung, Bridgewater and Freehold, and there is a Borders Express in Woodbridge Center.

Dudley Beach of Cranbury visits Borders weekly and said that it is much more than just a bookstore.

"It's a place to hang out," he said. "There are a lot of regulars here. People come to play chess or discuss books and issues. It's really a community space. It's definitely going to be a tremendous loss."

Courtney Averette was at Borders on Monday to shop the sale, but only because she had received a gift card for Christmas.

"I love books, and I love to read," said the Somerset resident. "Seeing any book store shut down is a disappointment, but I usually go to Barnes & Noble."

Same sales deal here?
The Nature Boy is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 09:10 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,469
C'mon let's hear about some more hauls! What did the people who went there score?
bluetoast is offline  
Old 01-02-08, 11:03 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by bluetoast
C'mon let's hear about some more hauls! What did the people who went there score?
There is nothing really worth buying.

25% off list is still more expensive than Amazon, DDD, etc..

When it gets down to 50%, then you'll start hearing about some hauls.
Ajn3166 is offline  
Old 01-03-08, 12:58 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,303
Originally Posted by Ajn3166
There is nothing really worth buying.

25% off list is still more expensive than Amazon, DDD, etc..

When it gets down to 50%, then you'll start hearing about some hauls.
Yeah, even the stuff I bought yesterday wasn't much of a savings over current cost on Amazon. I've been out of the DVD game for a while, so criterions at 15 to 20 seemed like good deal, and I had more disposable income then in years past and they weren't bad deals, but certainly not steals as I look it over.

I did go back and pick up Mean Streets: SE, Harold and Maude and Belle DuJour for 20 bucks tonight. Not earth shaking, but considering I was looking at Mean Streets alone for 15 bucks 2 days ago, I'll take it.
The Nature Boy is offline  
Old 01-06-08, 03:22 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 936
The 25% discount can be combined with the 3-for-2 deal
Ghostface180 is offline  
Old 01-06-08, 10:17 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey, U.S.A.
Posts: 500
Originally Posted by hobbes4444
I think there used to be a huge record store, Disc-O-Mat, there.
Yeah - it was Disc-O-Mat or Disc-O-Rama...something like that. Those were the days: $3.99 for LP's & tapes. I remember the first time I saw a CD was in there (and I was aghast at the $15.99 price tag). It's a TGI Fridays eatery now where that record store was.
This whole thing surprises me. I was just there about a week ago at the Borders & the JCPenney's, and I saw no indication of anything closing. Will have to check it out again...
Mickactual is offline  
Old 01-07-08, 05:28 AM
  #17  
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 2,806
Originally Posted by ernestrp
Borders closing the book on store

Home News Tribune Online 01/2/08

By MARY ANN BOURBEAU
STAFF WRITER
[email protected]

EAST BRUNSWICK Much to the dismay of area bibliophiles, the Borders Books & Music store in the MidState Mall will soon close its doors for good.

The 24,500-square-foot store, which has been located in the Route 18 shopping center since October 1992, will be shut down as of Jan. 12. There is no big going-out-of-business banner hanging outside. A sign inside the store alerts shoppers to the impending closure.

Though all the merchandise in the store is currently selling for 25 percent off, it doesn't console regular customers who were dismayed to hear of the closing.

"I feel so bad," said Mary Russo of Monroe. "This is my favorite bookstore."

Dmitry Esterov of Dayton also expressed his disappointment.

"I'm sad to see this place go," he said. "I come here pretty frequently. I came for the Harry Potter book party, and it was fun."

Employees have told customers that the store is closing because Borders and the mall's management could not agree on a time frame for a new lease. However, Kolleen O'Meara, a public relations specialist for Borders corporate office in Ann Arbor, Mich., said the company is closing many of its "underperforming" stores, and this is one of them. The mall's owner did not return a call to his office on Monday.

At least half of the company's 520 Waldenbooks stores are being shut down, as are the slower Borders stores. There are 515 Borders stores in the United States and 31 in other countries, according to the company's Web site.

O'Meara said the company is working with the store's 27 employees in case they want to transfer to other stores. The nearest Borders stores are in Watchung, Bridgewater and Freehold, and there is a Borders Express in Woodbridge Center.

Dudley Beach of Cranbury visits Borders weekly and said that it is much more than just a bookstore.

"It's a place to hang out," he said. "There are a lot of regulars here. People come to play chess or discuss books and issues. It's really a community space. It's definitely going to be a tremendous loss."

Courtney Averette was at Borders on Monday to shop the sale, but only because she had received a gift card for Christmas.

"I love books, and I love to read," said the Somerset resident. "Seeing any book store shut down is a disappointment, but I usually go to Barnes & Noble."
Is this the one with the Shoprite in the same strip too, along with Marshalls and a whole bunch of other stores? I think across 18 was a Circuit City.

If so, that's a shame. I used to love going in there when I lived in the area.
DVDMagic is offline  
Old 01-07-08, 09:53 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 2,016
Haha, I love it! Hearing of another Borders store closing makes my day! I can't wait until they all go out of business with their union busting tactics and over the manufacturer's suggested retail pricing policies. Good riddance! I say if you can get a deal there, get it and rip them off as much as you can.
ProfessorEcho is offline  
Old 01-07-08, 10:15 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,292
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Haha, I love it! Hearing of another Borders store closing makes my day! I can't wait until they all go out of business with their union busting tactics and over the manufacturer's suggested retail pricing policies. Good riddance! I say if you can get a deal there, get it and rip them off as much as you can.
Yay! People losing their jobs and competition drying up. That is good for everyone! WooHoo!!!!
cdollaz is offline  
Old 01-07-08, 11:40 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Here, which is not there.
Posts: 1,703
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Haha, I love it! Hearing of another Borders store closing makes my day! I can't wait until they all go out of business with their union busting tactics and over the manufacturer's suggested retail pricing policies. Good riddance! I say if you can get a deal there, get it and rip them off as much as you can.
Over MSRP? Really? Since when?
And the union busting tactics like having unionized stores?

Do you come from another dimension, perhaps?
FangsFirst is offline  
Old 01-07-08, 12:48 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 917
I stopped into the Wayne store the other night after work, and while one can make out ok, there are certainly no bargains to be had. For example, I am interested in The Wire seasons 1-3, and the price on the 3 using the buy 2 get 1 free and additional 25% discounts would have been about $90.

That may be one of the best prices around right now (matched by B&N's buy 2 get 1 free and 25% coupon), but it is certainly not a bargain.
jeffrey r is offline  
Old 01-07-08, 02:11 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,303
Originally Posted by Mickactual
Yeah - it was Disc-O-Mat or Disc-O-Rama...something like that. Those were the days: $3.99 for LP's & tapes. I remember the first time I saw a CD was in there (and I was aghast at the $15.99 price tag). It's a TGI Fridays eatery now where that record store was.
This whole thing surprises me. I was just there about a week ago at the Borders & the JCPenney's, and I saw no indication of anything closing. Will have to check it out again...

WOW, Disc-O-Mat. My first and only time there was the day Use Your Illusion Came out and every other store was sold out, but gold O'l Discomat had bother versions!
The Nature Boy is offline  
Old 01-07-08, 02:39 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by The Nature Boy
WOW, Disc-O-Mat. My first and only time there was the day Use Your Illusion Came out and every other store was sold out, but gold O'l Discomat had bother versions!
I distinctly remember picking up UYI 1 and 2 on cassette at the Sam Goody (?) or whatever it was in the Manalapan Mall! Good times!
Funk is offline  
Old 01-09-08, 06:04 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 737
looks like the Borders in Paramus, NJ (Towne Square) is closing on 1/19 as well...
jackepstein is offline  
Old 01-09-08, 11:31 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,303
Originally Posted by jackepstein
looks like the Borders in Paramus, NJ (Towne Square) is closing on 1/19 as well...
Where is this one? When did they announce? I may go by after work today!
The Nature Boy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.