Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '08

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '08

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 08:31 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts
Weekly Specials & Closeout Items from RightStuf.com

Ongoing:New:

Last edited by WTK; 01-24-08 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 09:33 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Bezerker
My FYE had plenty of signage for the $10 off $15.99 and up Bandai, Geneon & Funimation sale. No word on when it ends though.

Looks like the B2G$10 GC is dead as well. I was able to snag Cowboy Bebop Remix 6 to finish up my collection.
I guess this promotion varies a bit by region. My local stores were running $10 off $14.99 and up on Bandai Entertainment, FUNimation, and Geneon titles. The promotion didn't include Bandai Visual and Manga Ent/Bandai Ent titles.
Old 01-17-08, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
While the Weekly Specials are still updating...there are some interesting prices so far on these ImaginAsian Ent. collections.

Orguss, Super Dimension Century DVD Set (S): $72.99
I really want to get the Orguss set but 72.99 for some DVD-r's is just too freakin much.
Old 01-17-08, 11:46 PM
WTK

BestBuy.com Preorder Mispricing

Aquarion: Season 1, Part 1: $15.99
  • Retail Price: $59.98
  • Release Date: 3/11/08
  • Contains episodes 1-13 on three discs.
  • 325 minutes.
  • DVD Features: Interview with Shoji Kawamori, Tokyo International Anime Fair 2005 Talk Show with Cast and Crew, Tsugumi's "All about CG!" Series, Textless Songs, Trailers.
  • Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.
Old 01-17-08, 11:53 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Drahksenzu
I really want to get the Orguss set but 72.99 for some DVD-r's is just too freakin much.
I'm sort of tempted to want get Cat's Eye - Season 1 and Nobody's Boy Remi, but the price is still a bit too high. Keep in mind that the regular prices for these collections are $82.99 each. I'm not high on these DVD-Rs as well.
Old 01-18-08, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by WTK
I'm sort of tempted to want get Cat's Eye - Season 1 and Nobody's Boy Remi, but the price is still a bit too high. Keep in mind that the regular prices for these collections are $82.99 each. I'm not high on these DVD-Rs as well.
DVD-Rs?? Are these not *official* products??
Old 01-18-08, 12:18 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by strawberry99
DVD-Rs?? Are these not *official* products??
Those three titles are licensed by ImaginAsian Entertainment. They chose to produce their releases with no English dubbing via DVD-Rs.
Old 01-18-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
  • 325 minutes.
  • DVD Features: Interview with Shoji Kawamori, Tokyo International Anime Fair 2005 Talk Show with Cast and Crew, Tsugumi's "All about CG!" Series, Textless Songs, Trailers.
soon as i saw this i went and ordered as quick as i could. Was looking to get this series anyways and to save about $15 is pretty good

nice find, thanks!
Old 01-18-08, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by WTK
Those three titles are licensed by ImaginAsian Entertainment. They chose to produce their releases with no English dubbing via DVD-Rs.
Then I guess I'll have to pass on all three titles.

So ImaginAsian Entertainment is basically another Bandai Visuals right? Bandai Visuals seldom if ever release dubbed titles. Should I include ImaginAsian into the group of manufacturers I dislike?
Old 01-18-08, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by strawberry99
Then I guess I'll have to pass on all three titles.

So ImaginAsian Entertainment is basically another Bandai Visuals right? Bandai Visuals seldom if ever release dubbed titles. Should I include ImaginAsian into the group of manufacturers I dislike?
It's certainly up to you whether you dislike ImaginAsian or not, but I don't think they're coming at their releases from quite the same mindset as Bandai Visual. My impression of ImaginAsian was they chose this model as the most viable way to release some older, quality niche titles. To reduce costs, they didn't produce a dub, and they use a print-on-demand model for manufacturing the DVDs where they only create them as they're ordered. These aren't big-name shows that would make back the initial investment, otherwise. Personally, I haven't bought any of them because I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy the shows they've released. I thought about giving Cat's Eye a try after reading a comparison to Lupin III, but I'm still not entirely sold. But I see the no-dub DVD-R as a much better option than the show not being released at all.
Old 01-18-08, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by lwitkop
It's certainly up to you whether you dislike ImaginAsian or not, but I don't think they're coming at their releases from quite the same mindset as Bandai Visual. My impression of ImaginAsian was they chose this model as the most viable way to release some older, quality niche titles. To reduce costs, they didn't produce a dub, and they use a print-on-demand model for manufacturing the DVDs where they only create them as they're ordered. These aren't big-name shows that would make back the initial investment, otherwise. Personally, I haven't bought any of them because I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy the shows they've released. I thought about giving Cat's Eye a try after reading a comparison to Lupin III, but I'm still not entirely sold. But I see the no-dub DVD-R as a much better option than the show not being released at all.
Thanks for the breakdown.

The second question of whether or not I dislike ImaginAsian was not really suppose to be answered. It's an indirect attack on Bandai Visual's no-dub-release practices. (Most of their titles in fact lack a dub track).
Old 01-18-08, 09:05 AM

I may finally grab the ImaginAsian releases. The content is licensed and professionally done, so the DVD-R aspect is unimprotant. You cannot expect to get a product for free and it beats a download. This is likely the only way you will be able to get licensed US releases of these shows. Retail is essentially $10 a disc which is not bad. I could care less about the lack of a dub. The quality of most anime dubs is awful. I still don't understand why anyone wants to watch dubs. If you are going to watch a foreign TV show or film, it feels more authentic to watch it in it's original tongue with subtitles. The shunning a series due to no dub shows how spoiled we have become. Remember, these shows are not made for us. Thus, if we are so interested in watching, we should be willing to go the extra mile to do so. The demands of the average American that everything should be in English is one of our many negative qualities. They say if you speak two languages you are bi-lingual, three tri-lingual, four quad-lingual, and if you speak one you are American. A dub track is not a essential part of the package, it is an extra in the vein of art galleries and textless openings. Passing on a quality show due to no dub is almost as dumb as those people who cosplay at Mitsuwa Marketplace.
Old 01-18-08, 09:17 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
Amazon.com
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
This Blu-ray sale has ended!
Old 01-18-08, 09:25 AM
WTK

Shawne's Deals of the Day for Friday, January 18 2008:

Deal 01: Black Lagoon DVD 3 (Hyb) Limited Collector's Edition
$39.98 // $23.98 (40.0%) // $21.58 (46.0%)
*** quantity remaining = 43

Deal 04: Appleseed DVD (Hyb) - Feature Only
$19.98 // $11.74 (41.2%) // $10.57 (47.1%)

Deal 07: Suzuka DVD 1 (Hyb) + Artbox
$34.98 // $20.48 (41.5%) // $18.43 (47.3%)
*** quantity remaining = 10
Old 01-18-08, 09:37 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by basaro
Many of these are hard to find in store, poor stock.

This sale goes until 2/9 though, so there might still be time to get restock. I'm still hunting for Ninja Scroll.
Good luck.

With all the stores we have here @ MN, the stock on these are rather poor as well. They are usually no more than 1 or 2 copies per title. I was able to grab Appleseed and Ninja Scroll earlier this week. However I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the the free copies of Ghost in the Shell (UMD).
Old 01-18-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
  • 325 minutes.
Great find. In for one. BTW, I checked the prices for the rest of the Funi box sets for March and they are all priced correctly.
Old 01-18-08, 10:34 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Great find. In for one. BTW, I checked the prices for the rest of the Funi box sets for March and they are all priced correctly.
I did that last night as well, but I checked all of their anime preorders. This $15.99 pricing probably got mixed in with the Viridian rerelease single volumes.
Old 01-18-08, 10:39 AM
WTK

Target.com
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Old 01-18-08, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Bear1116
I may finally grab the ImaginAsian releases. The content is licensed and professionally done, so the DVD-R aspect is unimprotant. You cannot expect to get a product for free and it beats a download. This is likely the only way you will be able to get licensed US releases of these shows. Retail is essentially $10 a disc which is not bad. I could care less about the lack of a dub. The quality of most anime dubs is awful. I still don't understand why anyone wants to watch dubs. If you are going to watch a foreign TV show or film, it feels more authentic to watch it in it's original tongue with subtitles. The shunning a series due to no dub shows how spoiled we have become. Remember, these shows are not made for us. Thus, if we are so interested in watching, we should be willing to go the extra mile to do so. The demands of the average American that everything should be in English is one of our many negative qualities. They say if you speak two languages you are bi-lingual, three tri-lingual, four quad-lingual, and if you speak one you are American. A dub track is not a essential part of the package, it is an extra in the vein of art galleries and textless openings. Passing on a quality show due to no dub is almost as dumb as those people who cosplay at Mitsuwa Marketplace.
I'll likely just netflix these series. My preference is dub anime in my personal collection. I just can't justify paying for a product that wants me to read during my leisure film watching time. It's perfectly fine if it's live action, but anime is a cartoon that doesn't look ridiculous when dubbed. Not all anime needs to be dubbed, but for personal preference sake I prefer to only buy dubbed anime. (However, I did let one slip by -- Millennium Actress).

Sorry for diverging off thread topic, but it's a simple response to Mr Bear.
I've seen plenty of dubs and subtitles and have found dubs actually more enjoyable than subtitled tracks. For a few reasons:
(1) Dubs - my eyes and ears are simultaneously in use (reading directs attention away from on-screen visuals, yes, even for that split second).
(2) Subs - I actually find the Japanese spoken language especially in anime quite irritating for some reason. The stretching out of the last few words in a sentence sounds like a child throwing a temper tantrum. And honestly, it's irritating to digest.
Old 01-18-08, 11:29 AM

Does Target price match their website. I would like to pick up Dragon Ball Z on Blu-Ray for $13.99, but don't want to pay for shipping? Thanks!
Old 01-18-08, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Edubble
Does Target price match their website. I would like to pick up Dragon Ball Z on Blu-Ray for $13.99, but don't want to pay for shipping? Thanks!
Target does not price match their website.
Old 01-18-08, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by SDZeroG
Target does not price match their website.
Thanks!
Old 01-18-08, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
I jumped on this due to the price. Now I just hope it is good.

Why is FUNimation releasing the boxset before the singles?

*** begin edit ***
Moved non-bargain related discussion to Anime Discussion Thread
*** end edit ***

Last edited by Erdrick; 01-18-08 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Moved non-bargain related discussion
Old 01-18-08, 01:22 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Erdrick
I jumped on this due to the price. Now I just hope it is good.

Why is FUNimation releasing the boxset before the singles?
There won't be single volume release for Aquarion and there will be 2 boxsets.
Old 01-18-08, 01:31 PM
WTK

THIS IS TO EVERYONE:

Please keep the non-bargain anime discussions to a minimum in these bargain threads.

I like to see anime discussions, but this monthly thread is for anime bargains. I don't want the thread to be cluttered with non-bargain related discussions. Please feel free to post non-bargain anime comments/discussions/questions in the Anime Discussion Thread or post your own thread in the DVD Discussion/DVDTalk forum.

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.