DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Angel - Complete Series Collector's Set - $69.99 @ Amazon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/520871-angel-complete-series-collectors-set-%2469-99-%40-amazon.html)

leeta 12-25-07 12:51 PM

Angel - Complete Series Collector's Set - $69.99 @ Amazon

Angel Complete Collection

They also have the Stargate SG-1 Ultimate Collection for $164.99 -

Stargate SG-1 Complete Series Collection

jgorow 12-25-07 09:09 PM

aint that just a kick in the head to the real fan who bought the individual seasons when they 1st came out. I myself am a big fan of buffy and angel and bought each season upon thier individual release, and I believe I paid at least 30 bucks for each season.

leeta 12-25-07 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by jgorow
aint that just a kick in the head to the real fan who bought the individual seasons when they 1st came out. I myself am a big fan of buffy and angel and bought each season upon thier individual release, and I believe I paid at least 30 bucks for each season.

So did I... and I believe they were $41.99 each when they first came out...
:(

exharrison 12-25-07 09:21 PM

That is how it goes in the DVD world.

wearetheborg 12-26-07 02:17 AM

Has the set been cheaper ?

I dont have S2-S4, is it more economical to get this rather than the individuals sets ?

GenPion 12-26-07 02:38 AM

I'd buy this instead of the individual sets. I just purchased it from Amazon during the Lightning Fast Deal when it was $66 shipped. This is just a few dollars more and as far as I can tell it has never been much cheaper. Occasionally, the individual sets go on sale for $20. So you'd be getting a really good deal on this set still. I guess it all depends on how you want to collect it. You could sell off your Season 1 and 5 sets on eBay and probably get around $20 to $30 for them easily if they are in good shape. So to only spend $30-40 in the long run for the series seems like a good deal to me.

But that's just my opinion, anyway. I thought the $66 dollar deal was great as it was. Yesterday the Angel set was $100 on Amazon. I keep seeing the set in stores for around $125 to $140.

Cheato 12-26-07 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by exharrison
That is how it goes in the real world.

I fixed that for you. Just like electronics, sporting goods, etc., etc., etc.--everything drops after its first release unless it's limited and has increased demand.

Seriously, what did anybody expect to happen, the price to go UP over time as MORE people become interested in the series and they stop manufacturing the sets? Price drops are no "kick in the head." Personally, I think it's foolish to buy something at full retail when it's first released. But then again, if everybody waited for sale prices like I do, then nothing would ever get released.

The real "kick in the head" is when the complete set offers something that can't be purchased for a reasonable price outside of the set. So the "real fans" actually get screwed because, if anything, they were entitled to something that the latecomers shouldn't be.

In the "DVD Bargains" forum, complaining about a price drop...
(not you, exharrison)

jgorow 12-26-07 10:55 AM

when these people get the great deals on the full series sets, they should be thankful of the real fans that kept the sales up so that all of the seasons got released. how many series get a season or 2 out, and then quit, way too many!!!!!! maybe the studios could come up with some extra insentive for those that bought all the individual seasons at 1st release, that you send in the proofs of purchase from all of the seasons and get some kind of bonus. or, make the series sets bare bones if they are going to be budget priced, with only the individual season sets having the bonus features, which would make the seasons sets true collectibles, kind of like what they did with the lord of the rings sets. what i dont think is fair is the newcomers getting everything that the early buyers got, at a third of the price. I really hope someone from the studios reads this. sorry if I ranted off track!

exharrison 12-26-07 11:32 AM

maybe the studios could come up with some extra insentive for those that bought all the individual seasons at 1st release!

How about all the months of being able to watch and own those sets that the later purchasers didn't have? If I really want something, I buy it when it comes out. If not, I wait for it to reach a threshold before I buy it. As a result I've paid three or four times as much as some people, but I was happy to have it when I had it and it was worth not waiting for it.

when these people get the great deals on the full series sets, they should be thankful of the real fans that kept the sales up so that all of the seasons got released.
And just because some people wait does not make them not "real fans". They are just people who are willing to take the chance to wait for a price drop especially after they saw the companion show of Buffy get a complete set. They are willing to sacrifice months or years to get an expected complete set.

kyle 12-26-07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
I just purchased it from Amazon during the Lightning Fast Deal when it was $66 shipped. This is just a few dollars more and as far as I can tell it has never been much cheaper.

Since the official price was $89.99 when they had the lightning deal (the discount shows up as promo certificates), this is a $20 price drop--which you can get refunded. I had also used that DVDSAVE5 coupon--so to get this for only $40.99 is amazing!

leeta 12-26-07 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by exharrison
How about all the months of being able to watch and own those sets that the later purchasers didn't have? If I really want something, I buy it when it comes out. If not, I wait for it to reach a threshold before I buy it. As a result I've paid three or four times as much as some people, but I was happy to have it when I had it and it was worth not waiting for it.

That's true and a good way of looking at it.

GenPion 12-27-07 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by kyle
Since the official price was $89.99 when they had the lightning deal (the discount shows up as promo certificates), this is a $20 price drop--which you can get refunded. I had also used that DVDSAVE5 coupon--so to get this for only $40.99 is amazing!

How would you go about getting this refund? Should I just e-mail them and ask to price-match the new price?

Update: I just sent an e-mail asking about the price difference and if it could be refunded. It would be cool If I am eligible for that. It would be awesome! It would all go back to Amazon fast though as I'm planning on ordering all of the Harry Potter HD-DVD's from them soon. We'll see...

kyle 12-27-07 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion
How would you go about getting this refund? Should I just e-mail them and ask to price-match the new price?

- Go To http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contac...d-refunds.html
- Choose "Refund Inquiry" from the Subject Drop Down in the e-mail tab.
- You must provide Amazon.com with your order number (this would have come in your email receipt).
-In your message to Amazon make sure to include the following:
# Mention that a item you purchased has dropped in price in the last 30 days.
# Item Number (ASIN/ISBN).
# Orignial Price Paid.
# Current Price on Amazon.com (Be sure to verify the price).
- Click the "Send E-Mail" button.
- Amazon.com will review your request and get back to you with information about your credit request. Qualifying purchases will receive a credit for the price difference.

Havok83 12-27-07 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by leeta
So did I... and I believe they were $41.99 each when they first came out...
:(

I paid about $40 for seasons 2-4 and then $18 for s5 and $10 for s1

Id defiently recommend getting this set. I ordered itwhen Amazon had it for $66 and its great! Love the new box art and the booklet with episode summaries that coms with it. Plus each disk now has new art with character shots and is more lively and colorful. Overall great package and good buy

reverie 12-27-07 02:02 PM

I just blind-bought this (I still have yet to even see Buffy!).. so thanks for the deal! With the save $5 code and a $25 rewards certificate from the Visa card, it brought it down to $39.99. :)

Legolas 12-27-07 03:56 PM

It's a sunk cost. If you got your enjoyment out of watching them, then it shouldn't be a big deal. Everyone knows that all DVDs have big price drops eventually, and that popular TV shows are likely to have a "complete series" box set at the end. If you enjoyed your DVDs when you got them, then you got your value for them. As opposed to waiting a few years and saving a few bucks.

Rogue588 12-28-07 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by kyle

Thank you for contacting Amazon.com.

The discounts we offer for items available on Amazon.com can vary from time to time. I've checked your order and found that we now offer a greater discount on "Angel - Complete Series Collector's Set (1999)" than at the time you placed your order.

Since your purchase was so recent, I've requested a refund of $20.00 to your credit card. This amount reflects the difference between the price you were charged for the item and the current discounted price. This refund should be processed in the next few days and will appear as a credit on your next billing statement.

You may view returns and refunds by clicking the "Your Account" link at the top of our web site, then clicking "Go!" next to "open and recently shipped orders." Completed refunds will appear at the bottom of an individual order's summary page.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com--we hope you'll visit us again soon.

Best regards,

Uday Bhaskar
Amazon.com Customer Service
http://www.amazon.com
Wow. Thanks for the heads-up, Kyle. :beer::up:

GenPion 12-28-07 05:21 PM

I got the same e-mail. Thank you Kyle!

DamDavila 12-30-07 05:47 AM

I got the refund adjustment! Thanks for the tip Kyle!

ruddiger_718 12-30-07 12:51 PM

Thanks for getting the $20 back!

Jayhawker 12-30-07 04:17 PM

Big thanks to Kyle for the refund tip!

RevKarl 12-30-07 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jayhawker
Big thanks to Kyle for the refund tip!

Ditto!

Walker Boh 12-31-07 08:58 AM

Thanks for the tip ... I emailed them to request the refund.

silentbob007 12-31-07 09:04 AM

I was denied for the refund request and assured that my promotional discount was applied.

Walker Boh 12-31-07 03:30 PM

Received confirmation (the exact same response that Rogue588 posted above, but from a different customer service rep) that they will be refunding the difference to my credit card.

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I was denied for the refund request and assured that my promotional discount was applied.

Ouch. :(

gjamesm 01-01-08 09:20 AM

Thanks!! Got $20.00 back!!

cardaway 01-02-08 11:21 AM

I was also able to get $20 back by emialing them the details. Thanks Kyle!

schbee 01-02-08 07:47 PM

I got my $20 back, thanks you guys Rock

Peep 01-21-08 01:17 AM

How are the discs packaged? I know some series sets (like Alias) have had issues with many of the discs arriving scratched. Any chance of this with this set? How close is the packaging to the Buffy set?

asianxcore 01-21-08 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
How are the discs packaged? I know some series sets (like Alias) have had issues with many of the discs arriving scratched. Any chance of this with this set? How close is the packaging to the Buffy set?

There are pictures of the set on the Amazon page. Looks like it's the same packaging as the Buffy Chosen Collection

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ndex=0#gallery

Walker Boh 01-21-08 10:32 AM

Yes, it's the same style as the Buffy set's packaging (it's just shorter because it's 5 seasons vs. Buffy's 7). I ordered both sets from Amazon on separate occasions, and didn't have any loose discs in either set.

Peep 01-21-08 11:20 AM

Cool. Thanks. I have all the seperate seasons (unopened). I'm trying to decide if it's worth selling them off just to save the shelf space (and match my Buffy collection).

Sweet Baby James 01-22-08 02:19 AM

DEAD DEAL-

Angel is back up to $99.99 and Stargate is $233.99.:(

RavenTwo 01-22-08 12:04 PM

Just got mine in the mail today, sweet