DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Hatchet at Wal-Mart for 9.96 (YMMV) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/520387-hatchet-wal-mart-9-96-ymmv.html)

dsa_shea 12-18-07 04:43 PM

Hatchet at Wal-Mart for 9.96 (YMMV)

My local Wal-Mart had Hatchet with a shelf price of 9.96. I'm not sure if this is their price or a YMMV deal. I thought about picking it up but then thought that I could invest my 10 dollars elsewhere. I hope this helps somebody out there.

dan31655 12-18-07 05:28 PM

All three of my walmarts had it for that price.

riotinmyskull 12-18-07 05:34 PM

same with my wal-mart.

akiramole 12-18-07 05:42 PM

Was it the Unrated version that was available? Thanks in advance.

DeputyDave 12-18-07 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by akiramole
Was it the Unrated version that was available? Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know too. Also if anyone saw their price for Halloween unrated. I was going to do the BB deal which would total $32 before tax. This may be better.

akiramole 12-18-07 07:17 PM

Called my 2 closest Wal-Marts and was told they didn't have any. Their website has them for $24. I think I'll just wait until the price comes down.

ParadiseVendors 12-18-07 07:29 PM

I just got back from Wal-Mart in Anchorage, AK (not usually a store that gets all of the ymmv deals).

They had the unrated directors cut Hatchet for $9.96.

DeputyDave 12-18-07 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
I just got back from Wal-Mart in Anchorage, AK (not usually a store that gets all of the ymmv deals).

They had the unrated directors cut Hatchet for $9.96.

Wow, Anchorage has a Wal-Mart now? I grew up there but left when I was 18.

RonBoster 12-18-07 08:47 PM

The two walmarts I was at today in KC had both versions and at the less than $10 price.

dsa_shea 12-18-07 10:08 PM

I went back to see if I could grab a copy and both rows were cleaned out.

DeputyDave 12-18-07 11:21 PM

Went to best buy and they had it for $9.86. Completely sold out, though. I got it at Best Buy with the $5 off deal, so it ended up the same price (plus a cheap looking key chain).

hapgilmore 12-19-07 08:01 PM

just blind bought this since no blockbuster near me carries it (funny how they have tons of new direct to video crap each week but don't have this). hopefully it will be worth the $9.96 price...

Cedrock 12-20-07 01:42 AM

confirmed $9.97 @ bensalem, pa. wal-mart

dsa_shea 12-21-07 01:25 AM

Wonder if they think this is a MOH release?

camwar 12-21-07 10:26 AM

I grabbed it on tuesday at Walmart for 9.96 and loved the movie. Went back yesterday to grab one as a gift but there completly gone.

RichC2 12-21-07 11:37 AM

I saw a bootleg of this many months ago and had a blast with it, so I wound up picking up a copy for a few dollars more than mentioned in this thread. I love the movie, it knows what it is and it keeps trying to outdo itself. Go in with the right mindset and it's a great ride.

akiramole 12-21-07 03:25 PM

Confirmed in St. Paul, MN. Picked one up.

Brent L 12-21-07 10:32 PM

I can confirm this in the Anderson, SC area also - and yes, I picked it up.

derekisdman 12-21-07 10:38 PM

Was the same price here in Midland, Mi. Awesome movie for a very strange, but excellent price.

terrycloth 12-21-07 11:47 PM

none of my walmarts had this in period. ended up picking up at best buy....crappy packed in keychain, but an amazing movie otherwise!

Zbu 12-23-07 09:04 AM

Belleville Wal-Mart has it for $9.96.

TGM 12-23-07 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by terrycloth
none of my walmarts had this in period. ended up picking up at best buy....crappy packed in keychain, but an amazing movie otherwise!

amazing? really?

Here is my review... obviously you'll all take it with a huge grain of salt.

Hatchet (unrated director's cut) - 2/5

This movie plays more like a Troma production than something legitimately terrifying, which I will assume is intentional given that the cast consists of two alums from 'Office Space', Jason Voorhees, the Candyman, Freddy Krueger, Bill Murray's younger brother, and the guy that played Kenny AKA "Bud" on the Cosby show. No, none of these master thespians could save this film from the 3rd rate production that it truly is. Sure, there are some pretty cool old school (ie: no CGI) special effects of gore and guts, but not once is this movie frightening or at all particularly riveting. I did like the courage to cast a male lead that looks more like Shaggy than some Abercrombie model, but unfortunately he couldn't act his way out of a bloody paper bag, thus adding to my overall disappointment. Touted as an homage and return to the late 70's-early 80's cheesy slasher flicks, I suppose it somewhat succeeds, but my hope was it would be able to transcend to something a bit more. Sort of like what 'Shaun of the Dead' managed to accomplish for the Zombie genre. Alas, no... 'Hatchet' falls short. Despite some excellent head-twisting, the wooden acting, awful direction, cheap looking sets and a bad guy that looks more like Sloth from 'The Goonies' than an intimidating psychopath all adds up to a rather ho-hum affair.

http://www.horrorexpress.com/images/news-823.jpg

http://www.dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1822334095